distribution of alcohol consumption

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: distribution of alcohol consumption

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm

My brother-in-law who was a healthy bodyweight and cycled everywhere and was almost vegetarian had a heart attack at 32. He's alive and on wolfram.

The saying doctors have is, genetics loads the gun, your behaviour pulls the trigger. Some people's guns are loaded and go off accidentally. Other people think they're playing Russian roulette and keep pulling the trigger but the damn thing's just not loaded.

Most of us, our behaviour changes the odds. It's like D&D - get all the positive modifiers you can, then roll the dice.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Stenson wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:57 pm
quark wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:20 pm
Stenson wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am My grandpa was a heavy drinker into his 50's before he got sober, and smoked into his 70's. He turns 97 next month.
The plural of anecdote is not data. (Alas this is more true in spirit than literally, but the point is, I hope, clear.)
I wasn't really trying to refute what he said, just wanted to share a weird outlier. It's kind of a running joke in my family that the tough old bastard just won't die.
Genetics plays a huge role in who lives to be very old.

We'd like to imagine we can all hit 100 if we eat right, exercise right, etc. But most of us are programmed to die younger than that. No centenarians in my ancestry, for sure.

I hope my diet and exercise stuff will let me stay functional close to the end, is all. Fairly often, bad lifestyle choices leave people decrepit and helpless by late middle age, then they linger for years that way. Riding Walmart scooters, sucking on oxygen tanks, another mini-stroke every couple years, another chunk of brain lost. Maybe osteoporosis and a broken hip, then bedsores. Brr.

I hope to blow an aneurism deadlifting at about 85. That would be a fine death.

quark

Post by quark » Fri May 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Stenson wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am It feels damn good to finally be above average in something

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:48 pm
It drops off after 65. Also BMI peaks in the 55-64yo group and drops off after that. But that's not because they get their shit together - the obese, the smokers and the drinkers start dying off. You can do one of those three and you're dropping off past 65. Do two of those things and it's 55+. All three? Let's not go there.
My grandpa was a heavy drinker into his 50's before he got sober, and smoked into his 70's. He turns 97 next month.
The plural of anecdote is not data. (Alas this is more true in spirit than literally, but the point is, I hope, clear.)
I wasn't really trying to refute what he said, just wanted to share a weird outlier. It's kind of a running joke in my family that the tough old bastard just won't die.
I just like quoting that line.

quark

Post by quark » Fri May 31, 2019 5:44 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm My brother-in-law who was a healthy bodyweight and cycled everywhere and was almost vegetarian had a heart attack at 32. He's alive and on wolfram.

The saying doctors have is, genetics loads the gun, your behaviour pulls the trigger. Some people's guns are loaded and go off accidentally. Other people think they're playing Russian roulette and keep pulling the trigger but the damn thing's just not loaded.

Most of us, our behaviour changes the odds. It's like D&D - get all the positive modifiers you can, then roll the dice.
Warfarin?

quark

Post by quark » Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 pm

cwd wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 pm
Stenson wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:02 am My grandpa was a heavy drinker into his 50's before he got sober, and smoked into his 70's. He turns 97 next month.
Genetics plays a huge role in who lives to be very old.

We'd like to imagine we can all hit 100 if we eat right, exercise right, etc. But most of us are programmed to die younger than that. No centenarians in my ancestry, for sure.

I hope my diet and exercise stuff will let me stay functional close to the end, is all. Fairly often, bad lifestyle choices leave people decrepit and helpless by late middle age, then they linger for years that way. Riding Walmart scooters, sucking on oxygen tanks, another mini-stroke every couple years, another chunk of brain lost. Maybe osteoporosis and a broken hip, then bedsores. Brr.

I hope to blow an aneurism deadlifting at about 85. That would be a fine death.
Everyone I know who's over 85 talks about having lived too long, even the ones who seem healthy and happy.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:05 am

quark wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 pm Everyone I know who's over 85 talks about having lived too long, even the ones who seem healthy and happy.
This^ - I remember my 90+ Y/O Grandma wishing Jesus would take her, especially after her husband died. (She was very religious...)

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Skid wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:05 am
quark wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 pm Everyone I know who's over 85 talks about having lived too long, even the ones who seem healthy and happy.
This^ - I remember my 90+ Y/O Grandma wishing Jesus would take her, especially after her husband died. (She was very religious...)
My dad is 76, he says he's happier now and enjoys life more than he ever has. He talks about dying a lot though -- he's lost all fear of it.

He lifts regularly at the YMCA -- DB squats and arm work mostly.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm

My favourite old couple were very active and happy until the wife died 4 years or so before the husband. He was still a wonderful person, but it was painfully clear he'd rather have gone with her. But if he hadn't outlived his spouse, I'm certain he'd have been perfectly happy to keep living for another decade or more.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:13 am

cwd wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 am
brkriete wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 am
mbasic wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:31 am Also, if you are in bad shape diabetes-wise, HPB, etc etc etc ... and know it, and/or on Rx meds, etc... you probably don't drink at all (maybe).

I bet that explains a lot of the "30% don't even drink" thing.
I bet people who drink, drink, regardless of health and other concerns.
Probably a lot of occasional drinkers give up booze when their doctor says to. I cut back quite a bit after learning that the old "one per day is good for you" theory was incorrect.

People who drink 10x/day *really, really* like drinking. They are going to be a lot harder to persuade, they've probably already accepted a lot of health degradation.
My friend, who drinks multiple times a week, well less so now since a job change, but at one point was spending close to $500/mo on booze. He say's he's fine since his liver is still good. Yeah, k, until its not. I find this comparable to me justifying getting to 270lbs at 6'1". I was obese through my younger formative years by mid high school I slimmed down to 195 slowly got back up to 270lbs from lifting, ss, and just general bad habits. Felt justifiable because I every year I got a a physical and full blood panel everything is golden and doctors said I looked pretty darn good for 270 ( I still had tits but ive always held it well). Anyway I got back down and feel 100 times better. So even though I hadn't developed the beetus or had bad cholesterol, fat lipids. whatever, there is no doubt in my mind I have no business being that heavy.

I drink once a week, on Friday. I've been on a vodka and ice kick lately. I'd like to think its maybe 4-6 shots might be a bit more. Regardless I start at 6 pm, stop by 8 and am sober to drive at 1230 when all is done. I also drink to purposely get fucked up that Friday. While I do like the taste of alcohol, especially scotch, I'm not big on weekly drinking.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:16 am

My grandmother was like this, she was the last one left of her generation in the family and she got miserable. She was such an active person a decade back and I've heard stories of what she was like when she was younger. There was like a 10 year period she lost most control of herself and all her peers.

I know a guy that is 99, his fucking sick daughter wont let him smoke cigars, drink, eat salt, or a lot of fat. Like the mother fucker is 99, let him do whatever he wants. I hate people like her.

armyang

Post by armyang » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I have a few drinks a week, sometimes more. Sometimes it's just on the weekend, sometimes I have a drink or two during the week, depending on what's going on. I know a lot of people who don't drink at all.

cgeorgiev

Post by cgeorgiev » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

I enjoyed reading all the replies from you normies.

I haven’t had a drink in 7 years this past April, but right before I got sober I was drinking about a fifth of vodka each night + 3-4 bombers of beer when I would wake up at 4am. Before I was admitted, I had to have a physical: I don’t remember what exactly my health metrics were, but I remember my BP top number being in the 190s. This was also after years of using meth and heroin.

I still have cravings for the taste and feel of a cold beer with a burger or izakay. Luckily there are a handful of companies that make a hops + malt carbonated water similar to la Croix that really satisfies that craving.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Congrats on turning that around, @cgeorgiev!

I drink non-alcoholic "beer" pretty often myself. It's very satisfying during a workout, and I like that it doesn't mess with my brain.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 pm

cgeorgiev wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pmI was drinking about a fifth of vodka each night + 3-4 bombers of beer when I would wake up at 4am.
Dude...what was withdrawal from that like?

cgeorgiev

Post by cgeorgiev » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 pm

cwd wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 pm Congrats on turning that around, cgeorgiev!

I drink non-alcoholic "beer" pretty often myself. It's very satisfying during a workout, and I like that it doesn't mess with my brain.
Hey, thanks! There's a local Korean grocers that sells a brand called "All Clear" that I really like: it reminds me of what a really dry Japanese beer tasted like.
Hanley wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Dude...what was withdrawal from that like?
I remember being really disoriented, and having minor tremors and hallucinations. There's always the super basic stuff like sweating profusely, high blood pressure, and being a huge asshole to everyone. At the time I was a month shy of being 22, and I had only been drinking like that for only 2 years, so I was lucky in that I got out early. I had roomed with a guy who had been drinking heavily for decades who ended up having a few seizures during our time through treatment.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am

I enjoyed reading all the replies from you normies.

I haven’t had a drink in 7 years this past April, but right before I got sober I was drinking about a fifth of vodka each night + 3-4 bombers of beer when I would wake up at 4am. Before I was admitted, I had to have a physical: I don’t remember what exactly my health metrics were, but I remember my BP top number being in the 190s. This was also after years of using meth and heroin.

I still have cravings for the taste and feel of a cold beer with a burger or izakay. Luckily there are a handful of companies that make a hops + malt carbonated water similar to la Croix that really satisfies that craving.
Just a note if anyone comes across this and is inspired to quit drinking:

If you have been drinking a lot for a long time please please please do not go cold turkey, alcohol withdrawal kills. Seek treatment.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am

cgeorgiev wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm I enjoyed reading all the replies from you normies.

Makes for sobering reading. I think I'm up at 50-60 units this week so far, though generally beer and wine. It's all too easy to fire on Netflix and crack open a few in the evening with the wife. I dread to think what my blood work would reveal at present.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am Makes for sobering reading. I think I'm up at 50-60 units this week so far, though generally beer and wine.
What's a unit?

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am What's a unit?
A shot of spirits, 125ml glass of wine or 250ml of normal strength lager I believe.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:25 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am
Allentown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am What's a unit?
A shot of spirits, 125ml glass of wine or 250ml of normal strength lager I believe.
Oh, like a "serving." So a couple 24pks?