Transpeople in athletics

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Transpeople in athletics

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 am

As much as I'm obsessed about lifting, I'd never go and watch either a bodybuilding show or a powerlifting meet. If a meathead like me can't be bothered, what's the likelihood that a normie who doesnt even lift will go and attend a show or a meet ? Probably 0% and I'm being generous.

Also, there's no money in those activities, and no connections to professional sports. If you have the genetics to be in the NFL or NBA or whatever you don't powerlift or bodybuild. What will winning a powerlifitng competition get you ? Free SBD apparel and a bunch of clients that'll buy your spreadsheets, maybe, if you're lucky.

How important is it who wins and/or who participates ? Give a gold medal or a plastic trophy to everyone and allow everyone to take whatever they want.

I also don't believe that powerlifting or bodybuilding are useful to educate the youth and make them better citizens. Maybe even the contrary.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:17 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 am As much as I'm obsessed about lifting, I'd never go and watch either a bodybuilding show or a powerlifting meet. If a meathead like me can't be bothered, what's the likelihood that a normie who doesnt even lift will go and attend a show or a meet ? Probably 0% and I'm being generous.

Also, there's no money in those activities, and no connections to professional sports. If you have the genetics to be in the NFL or NBA or whatever you don't powerlift or bodybuild. What will winning a powerlifitng competition get you ? Free SBD apparel and a bunch of clients that'll buy your spreadsheets, maybe, if you're lucky.
Agreed that money and fame aren't the primary motivators for participation in amateur sports.
How important is it who wins and/or who participates ? Give a gold medal or a plastic trophy to everyone and allow everyone to take whatever they want.
To you, perhaps not very important. To someone who takes the time to train, prepare, and enter an ostensibly fair competition, presumably more so

dw

Post by dw » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:26 am

A digression from the main issue but it seems to me PL should just not try to be a spectator sport. It should focus on the fact that anyone who lifts can practice the sport on their own and, if they wish to, get ranked.

In that sense it's a very accessible and very modern sport. 99% of the work can be done in your garage with an occasional trip to a meet. You don't need coaches, a team, equipment (that you own). It seems to suit the atomized society.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:00 am

ESPN Recognizes Lia Thomas in Women’s History Month Special
Of coarse they did

https://www.yahoo.com/news/espn-recogni ... 36600.html
“Lia Thomas is not a brave, courageous woman who EARNED a national title. He is an arrogant, cheat who STOLE a national title from a hardworking, deserving woman. The @ncaa is responsible,” she tweeted. “If I was a woman working at ESPN, I would walk out. You’re spineless @espn #boycottESPN.”

ESPN’s special comes after World Athletics, the governing body for international tournaments in sports such as cross country and track and field, announced Thursday that transgender athletes who have undergone male puberty will be barred from female competitions starting March 31.
None of those records should be recorded as woman records :lol:

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:00 am
Of coarse they did

“Lia Thomas is not a brave, courageous woman who EARNED a national title. He is an arrogant, cheat who STOLE a national title from a hardworking, deserving woman. The @ncaa is responsible,” she tweeted. “If I was a woman working at ESPN, I would walk out. You’re spineless @espn #boycottESPN.”

ESPN’s special comes after World Athletics, the governing body for international tournaments in sports such as cross country and track and field, announced Thursday that transgender athletes who have undergone male puberty will be barred from female competitions starting March 31.
the only 'good' thing in that article:

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:18 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am
zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:00 am
Of coarse they did

the only 'good' thing in that article:
I feel bad for all the CIS woman that have to compete against "her". I hope people are starting to see that this is not fair

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 am

Male powerlifter enters women’s event, breaks record
https://nypost.com/2023/03/30/male-powe ... ks-record/

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:57 am

gtl wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 am Male powerlifter enters women’s event, breaks record
I am the women's ATWR holder for deadlift. Few know this.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:44 pm

I think this is the best answear:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/swim-engla ... 45660.html
Swim England transgender policy features ‘female’ and ‘open’ categories
They only did it in a few events though. Which is strange to me why not do it across the board if you found they had an unfair advantage?

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:49 pm

gtl wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 am Male powerlifter enters women’s event, breaks record
That is hilarious :lol:

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:47 pm

best was the interview at the end. Sounds like Buffalo Bill from the Silence of the Lambs, which unironically, was also a killer of women.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:47 pm

best was the interview at the end. Sounds like Buffalo Bill from the Silence of the Lambs, which unironically, was also a killer of women.
I’m watching on a tiny phone without audio, but I think that is Fallon fox. She fought a few times and fucked up some of her opponents. She did not disclose her former male status.

To me, not disclosing the former male status (esp in a combat sport) makes it worlds worse than beating a known former male in a track event or a swimming race.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:24 am

Who is the target audience? That is hard to watch.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:33 pm

Was this reported at the time?
I remember reading how the first place finisher in the Olympics 800m had high T. I do not remember reading that all 3 top female finishers had XY chromosomes.

https://reduxx.info/an-injustice-former ... ted-sport/

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:06 pm

hector wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:33 pm Was this reported at the time?
I remember reading how the first place finisher in the Olympics 800m had high T. I do not remember reading that all 3 top female finishers had XY chromosomes.

https://reduxx.info/an-injustice-former ... ted-sport/
What a sad story :shock:
Eriksson says that he was the first to speak to Bishop after her race, and that she had been in tears. Although she was the true female winner, she didn’t receive the gold medal and lost out on massive earnings that could have followed if she had earned the medal.

Eriksson told Reduxx that Bishop had stood to gain “lots of money” through her Nike contract had she placed in the top 3 and that she was a prime candidate to be a flagship female athlete for them. But all of her opportunities were lost without a medal placement.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:10 am

If you go on the internet and google this Fallon Fox you will find a bunch of recent articles 'debunking' the vicious rumor that this person has broken several skulls...

In fact, this person to date has only broken ONE skull...

It's totally fine you guys, stop overreacting.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:31 am

mouse wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:10 am
If you go on the internet and google this Fallon Fox you will find a bunch of recent articles 'debunking' the vicious rumor that this person has broken several skulls...

In fact, this person to date has only broken ONE skull...

It's totally fine you guys, stop overreacting.
>The virgin Reuters Fact Check vs the chad Hyperrealism

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:37 am

houzi

Post by houzi » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:27 pm

At the risk of being rather ignorant of this whole matter... is the transgender individual who was the centre of this whole USAPL lawsuit fiasco... also a minnesota resident? If so, then that seems like such a massive over correction it is laughable. "You are now allowed to lift in the USAPL in minnesota.. you are also not able to lift in the USAPL in minnesota"

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:38 pm

One of the write-ups I saw noted that even the plaintiff hadn't asked for that injunction.

On the other hand it has snowed 3 inches here today in Minnesota in mid April so honestly just lift somewhere else it's for the best.