Salahudin Shazlee ALPS

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Salahudin

Re: Salahudin Shazlee GSLP log

Post by Salahudin » Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Due to work commitments and 19 hour fasts this log will continue after the month of Ramadan.

ALPS is indeed superior to all other LP's and I will complete it and move on to Victorian easy strength promptly after post Ramadan

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Have a good Ramadan, brother. You lift to enhance your life, not as your life. Enjoy your time with family and community.

Salahudin

Post by Salahudin » Wed May 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you @KyleSchuant
I appreciate it

Salahudin

Post by Salahudin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:18 am

Back from my month long Ramadan hiatus, there is a local gym at the ground floor of my work place and its sparsely populated at lunch time so I have decided to lift during my lunch break, although maybe from now maybe i can split it up like this:

Mon:squat, press
Tue:pull
Wed:squat,chin
Thu:farmers walk
etc.

as I tried to fit everything together through 3 minute rest periods today in under an hour and felt dead afterwards any thoughts @KyleSchuant are sincerely appreciated thanks

Front Squat:
37.5kg:3,3,3,3,3
Press 1.0:
29kg:5,5,5
Snatch Grip Deadlift:
50kg:5,5,5

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

You can condition yourself to shorter rest periods. It takes some time to get used to it.

What you can do is superset things. For example, if you press first then you don't have to take weight off the bar. Normally you might go,

Press 20x5, 25x3, 27.5x1, 30x5,5,5
FSQ 20x3, 30x3, 35x1, 39x3,3,3,3,3
SGDL 40kg x5, 47.5kg x3, 52.5kg x5,5,5

well, when you already have the 20kg bar for press, you can do your front squat warmup set with it. When you're pressing 30 you can do a front squat warmup set with it. Then once you've finished your presses you just add 5kg to the bar and do your last front squat warmup, add another 4kg and do your first front squat warmup.

Once you've finished the front squats you load it to 40kg, put the bar on the floor, and there's your first warmup for SGDL.

Doing presses won't take much away from front squats if you do them in between. Doing front squats and deadlifts would. Likewise, you'll be able to do chinups between front squats, but I wouldn't superset the chinups with farmer's walks.

I find the adaptations are both physical and mental. The physical adaptation is getting used to having your body move throughout a workout, rather than a burst of effort then sitting down for a few minutes. The mental adaptation is getting away from the SS idea of being able to work out by sitting around for half an hour. My in-person lifters never managed it, and the extra time lets them chat and builds a nice community, which keeps them lifting for years, so I don't argue, I just allow two hour blocks for the workouts. But there's no physiological reason to take two hours to do 9-12 work sets when you're a beginner.

If you're doing it at lunch it can make it hard because either you have lunch first and you're still digesting, which takes about 1/4 your blood supply leaving the rest of your body less to do workouts with, or you've not yet had lunch so you've low blood sugar and low energy. Try to have something light at morning tea, like a piece of fruit and glass of milk, should keep you going.