Ammonia...

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Ammonia...

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 am

LexAnderson wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am I keep about 5 ammonia capsules in desk at work for when I am too tired or sleepy in the morning. Also keep a stash in the gym bag too for training. I love ammonia.
I picture someone taking a big hit of ammonia, throwing the cap into the air across the office, yelling "light weight baby!" then stepping up to the computer like it's a 1RM PR deadlift before writing an email.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:01 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 am
LexAnderson wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am I keep about 5 ammonia capsules in desk at work for when I am too tired or sleepy in the morning. Also keep a stash in the gym bag too for training. I love ammonia.
I picture someone taking a big hit of ammonia, throwing the cap into the air across the office, yelling "light weight baby!" then stepping up to the computer like it's a 1RM PR deadlift before writing an email.
Have you been watching me work?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:18 am

LexAnderson wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am I keep about 5 ammonia capsules in desk at work for when I am too tired or sleepy in the morning. Also keep a stash in the gym bag too for training.
There are ammonia caps available at my work, and I occasionally use one as a quick pick me up.

I try not to let anyone see me do it.
I love ammonia.
The adrenaline boost is definitely addictive.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Pro tip

To store an open bottle (even just between sessions) i use two clear produce bags.
Place the bottle in, squeeze the air out and spin/twist the bag closed several/many twists.
Pull the bottle through, turning the bags inside out, and do the same again.
Wrap with rubber band.
Tighten the lid well first.

I had been using a bottle, and then had this 3.5 month layoff.
Tried the nose tork out for my first DL singles, and it's still fully fresh.

I'm pretty sure i can get two bottles to last a year this way.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:22 pm

I'm a fan

IronRon

Post by IronRon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 am

My cats produce enough of this stuff, but I should hit up Carol Baskin and see if her tigers are down for a collab. Baskin Case Gainz when your ammonia gives you the eye of the tiger baby.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am

Just checking in on this thread, I snapped a capsule in my office just now. I miss lifting.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 02, 2020 7:51 am

LexAnderson wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am Just checking in on this thread, I snapped a capsule in my office just now. I miss lifting.
lol

I was doing it for the first few weeks for squat singles, even though they are still pretty light.
Just a psychological aid after not having lifted for so long.

The double bagging method i posted works great.
I'm sure this bottle would have been flat by now, as i opened in in October.
It's fresh AF still.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Sat May 02, 2020 8:02 am

@Wilhelm I've always liked the capsules better than the bottle, Idk why though.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 02, 2020 8:14 am

LexAnderson wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:02 am @Wilhelm I've always liked the capsules better than the bottle, Idk why though.
Well, for one, you can't keep a bottle behind your ear. :D

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:04 pm

So i made this video a year ago.
Wrapping up a bottle of Nose Tork to make it last.

Since then i bought some Skull Smash from lifting large.
It was underwhelming from day one, but i had two bottles, and i used them up.

So just last week i ordered two more bottles of Nose Tork (never buying anything else again) and before opening one of them up, i got curious about the bottle in the video, which had just been sitting there all year.
And i had used it for a while before i made the vid.
I'm about certain i used the Skull Smash at the Nov 6th 2021 meet, so this bottle had bee wrapped up since before then.

Unwrapped it and took a wiff.
Blew my head off just fine.

I was hesitant about my "6 months" statement in the video, since i don't open mine very often at all.
Only toward the end of a deadlift block when the singles get heavy, and at meets.

But i will be using this bottle up to my March meet, and will then open one of my new ones, and just keep one sealed for next year.

Skid

Post by Skid » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:05 pm

Speaking of ammonia, at my last meet (Nationals) it was partially sponsored by an ammonia company (Ward smelling salts). They handed out a free bottle to every competitor. It was the type you add a teaspoon of water to. I hadn't used any in years so got the fresh rush of a new user.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:19 pm

Ragholmes wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm
SeanHerbison wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am
Ragholmes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:49 amI'm thinking its one of those a little bit is ok, but overuse might be longterm issue.
I could easily be wrong, but I think you'd have to really be trying to do so in order to run into long-term issues. If I had to guess, I'd say I've probably used it more than anyone else on this site, and for what's it's worth, I haven't run into any issues. I suppose Jujimufu would be the one to ask if you want an extreme example.
Yeah. I was meaning extreme use.
I was thinking of a pro lifter in the gym all day everyday using it every lift for multiple years could be doing some damage. Maybe some erosion of the nasal mucosa or something like that.
There are people who do use it a lot. The stuff has been around forever, so it can't be that dangerous.
Millions of people snort cocaine, some people end up with a crater in their face.... There's always someone out there willing to go way too far.
Maybe @Austin has some input. Because I honestly have no idea, I'm just some random dude on the interwebz sharing my opinion on something I really have no knowledge of.
I don't believe that any lifter uses it for every lift, certainly not a professional lifter. The idea behind it is to piss you off a little to amp adrenaline and help you focus for the max/PR stuff. Using it for normal training weight would be counterproductive, you can't lift all hyped up all of the time no one can maintain that state for a lot of lifts in the same session/meet. It is not going to cause cocaine type issues (Which is all cocaine users eventually, the ones that survive usually end up with some reconstructive surgery or stop before it gets bad), it is not going to cause any permanent anything at the strengths that the stuff they sell comes in. Actual pure ammonia would kill you, this stuff is cut down to "Not gonna kill anyone" strength. It is used to strip floors in commercial buildings in the higher strengths and I know guys that were knocked flat out by the smell when they opened the doors on an unventilated job. Like they woke up 20 or so minutes later laying on the sidewalk at 2 AM knocked out by the vapour. No ill effects other than hitting the sidewalk.
It's really to help focus and get in the "Zone" for the lift, some guys can get there easily and some guys need something to help. You have to be able to turn on blinders and literally make everything around you go quiet and disappear to really hit your big numbers. The guys that rant and rave and run scenarios about their families being attacked or some such thing are trying to get there and failing, the world gets quiet and slow when you hit it just right and you are in your own void. That's what it's for, and that shouldn't be how you train every day.

***And some guys do absolutely use coke or amphetamines for this, but that's a little different and more unhinged. Pudz got DQ'd from a WSM for a coke positive, they don't test for much at that level but nobody wants a psychopath being unhinged at a contest. Another well known WSM guy used actual adrenaline, like shooting an epi pen, before events. I'd say ammonia is pretty mild in comparison.
**** I just realized that somehow I was responding to a post from 2019, I thought it dumped me into a thread at the newest post and didn't notice because it was the right day of the month on it. Geez.