A Few Technique Questions

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

JonathanLikesToSing

A Few Technique Questions

Post by JonathanLikesToSing » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm

During my workouts the last few days, I noticed things that lead to the below questions.

- while setting up to bench, one shoulder didn’t really stay retracted and packed into the bench. This generally seems to be difficult to maintain, as I’m noticing my shoulders slip as I lift the bar off.

- while benching, I noticed one pec engages with a stronger contraction than the other. Is there something to even this out, or should I just work on contracting harder with the weaker pec?

- while doing dumbbell rows, I noticed that one side of my back engages with a more “full” contraction of my back than the other. Switching to a thumbless grip helped, but there was still an imbalance. I tried “pulling with my elbow”, which helped as well but same thing — one side weaker than the other.

- while squatting yesterday, I noticed that one side tends to move faster than the other. So the bar is, viewed head on/through a mirror slanted, but from the side moving relatively vertical (wasn’t perfect yesterday). Similarly, a less pronounced difference in overhead pressing today. But way less noticeable, but I could feel a slight difference in the lockout of the triceps.

- any good tips on setting up/stance and distance from a cable for face pulls? I want to make sure I’m doing these right.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: A Few Technique Questions

Post by mgil » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Most of those issues are kinda normal normal for folks starting out or just coming back. It’s something to be aware of, but as your training progresses, it should even out.

chrisd

Re: A Few Technique Questions

Post by chrisd » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 pm

JonathanLikesToSing wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm
- any good tips on setting up/stance and distance from a cable for face pulls? I want to make sure I’m doing these right.
Personally. I keep tension in the cable from start to finish, so step back far enough that the stack is raised with arms extended.
I prefer a a split stance with the front leg locked and so not assisting.

As for the rest, you have one side stronger than the other.