How'd your training go?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

psmith

Re: How'd your training go?

Post by psmith » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am

Starting to suspect that I put a lot of thought and money into my training only to get about the same results I would have gotten with, like, crossfit WOD plus a long trail run

Feelsbadman

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:45 pm

psmith wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am Starting to suspect that I put a lot of thought and money into my training only to get about the same results I would have gotten with, like, crossfit WOD plus a long trail run

Feelsbadman
I’m in a text group with a few dudes who lift. One of them started something less than two years ago. Just does the equivalent of WODs that he gets off some random guy’s IG account. He’s not strong but looks better than the rest of us, in some cases (ahem, mine) much better.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:06 pm

psmith wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am Starting to suspect that I put a lot of thought and money into my training only to get about the same results I would have gotten with, like, crossfit WOD plus a long trail run

Feelsbadman
Do you enjoy your training more than you would Crossfit WOD plus a trail run?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:07 pm

Feelsbadman
What kind of results are you shooting for (what are your training goals ?) and what does your current training look like ?

Also, what is causing you to spend so much money on training ?

psmith

Post by psmith » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:34 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:45 pm I’m in a text group with a few dudes who lift. One of them started something less than two years ago. Just does the equivalent of WODs that he gets off some random guy’s IG account. He’s not strong but looks better than the rest of us, in some cases (ahem, mine) much better.
I feel you, bruh
ChasingCurls69 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:06 pm Do you enjoy your training more than you would Crossfit WOD plus a trail run?
Not really!
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:07 pm What kind of results are you shooting for (what are your training goals ?) and what does your current training look like ?

Also, what is causing you to spend so much money on training ?
Some run times, some hike times, some pushup/situp numbers. Didn't care about lifting when it felt like I was making progress, but now that it doesn't, I kinda do. Money went to coaching (picked carefully) and to a lesser extent commuting to the gym or the hill where I would otherwise have done limited-equipment shit or run where I was at. Also, got hurt and am currently flailing around wondering what I'm gonna do, and avoiding this situation was exactly why I spent the money in the first place.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:26 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:19 am I don't think you can lift weights "wrong" if you:

- implement progressive overload
- show up to the gym consistently 3 to 7 times a week
The first is the biggest one, I think.

I've recently joined a globogym. After eight years in my garage I wanted to get out and about and freshen things up for myself. Nobody has a journal. Only a few people show evidence of following some sort of workout plan - most of them are young women obviously involved in some sport and doing prehab/rehab for it, or doing some booty-building programme they found online. Most just fuck around randomly without pushing themselves. I mean, the bikes and treadmills have touchscreens on them and you can play Solitaire.

I've only been there a month so don't have a good handle on who the regulars are, but so far it looks like globogym standard - most people don't go much.

This study tells us that the average gym member goes 4.8 times a month, and would actually be financially better off buying the casual visit passes rather than a membership. "These findings suggest that health club members have unrealistic expectations about their future attendance."
It's difficult for them to understand that lack of knowledge is not the cause for their lack of success, rather its lack of consistent effort and time.
There's that, but I think there's an instinctive aversion to exertion. To get the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle going you have to stress your system. But way back in the cave man days, if Oog was willing to stress his system he might break his ankle or something, which in those days might kill you, so he didn't get to pass on his "no pain no gain!" genes. Meanwhile Aag who was a lazy coward did get to pass on his genes. Same thing with eating lots of fatty sugary foods vs "I'll just have the salad." For all but the last 100 years or so of human history, being a lazy glutton was a survival trait. Most of us have to make a conscious effort to overcome that - the most jacked trainer I know can't even have chocolate etc in his house, it's just too much for him.
ChasingCurls69 wrote:I liked that rant with the caveat that redditors aren't actually smart. They are nerds but overwhelmingly bad at nearly everything they do, and their version of science is just running 5/3/1 flippity floppity HD remix over and over until their next 6-12 month break from lifting.
The brutal cynicism of this gives me joy.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:50 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:26 am
It's difficult for them to understand that lack of knowledge is not the cause for their lack of success, rather its lack of consistent effort and time.
There's that, but I think there's an instinctive aversion to exertion. To get the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle going you have to stress your system. But way back in the cave man days, if Oog was willing to stress his system he might break his ankle or something, which in those days might kill you, so he didn't get to pass on his "no pain no gain!" genes. Meanwhile Aag who was a lazy coward did get to pass on his genes. Same thing with eating lots of fatty sugary foods vs "I'll just have the salad." For all but the last 100 years or so of human history, being a lazy glutton was a survival trait. Most of us have to make a conscious effort to overcome that - the most jacked trainer I know can't even have chocolate etc in his house, it's just too much for him.
Having read a lot on this, it's also about Calorie intake. Doing anything requires energy and when it's not abundant like today, if you find a source of easy energy (like sugar) then you're hardwired to get as much as you can while you can and have your body store it later for fat. It's like the irony of looking at the Liver King being jacked as hell compared to an African tribal that lives in a village not contaminated by modern society. The analogy I read a long time ago is about getting in and out of your car. Your brain makes it a habit so it takes less energy to perform that function so it's really just about efficiency. Then think about getting into a friend's car you haven't ridden in a few months and you start to consciously think about getting in a bit more (like if you drive a pickup and your friend drives a sedan).

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:30 pm

Matched my all time best squat today.
190kg
10 pounds lighter bodyweight now than when i last hit it.
Actually hit it twice, but the first was parallel.
Did 182.5kg and 187.5kg as well

Five squat sessions remain until my meet

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:19 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:30 pm Matched my all time best squat today.
190kg
10 pounds lighter bodyweight now than when i last hit it.
Actually hit it twice, but the first was parallel.
Did 182.5kg and 187.5kg as well

Five squat sessions remain until my meet
Awesome, man. Pissing on several of my personal excuses and I love it.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 am

Closed my CoC#2 for 4 reps, either I've got an easy #2, or I've finally found something I'm almost nearly good at, I'm gonna give my 2.5 a try next time see how close I can get, if I can close that I'll be very happy! I still think a #3 is out of my 'genetic' league but 2.5 would be satisfying for a Can't get my bench up to 100kg for shit low responder

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:51 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 am Closed my CoC#2 for 4 reps, either I've got an easy #2, or I've finally found something I'm almost nearly good at, I'm gonna give my 2.5 a try next time see how close I can get, if I can close that I'll be very happy! I still think a #3 is out of my 'genetic' league but 2.5 would be satisfying for a Can't get my bench up to 100kg for shit low responder
Barely got the #2.5 to parallel :( , lota work to do before it's closed, maybe try and work up to 10+ on the #2 and then see how close I can get it

James

Post by James » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:45 am

Tried some banded leg extensions with a mini band Friday and my legs are still sore.

Going to buy some stronger bands and do them more often.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:26 pm

decided to do some squats for the first time in a while, kept the weight conservative and all sets probably @6 at most if not lower

30 min later right knee hurts, fuck this retarded lift i’m done

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:38 am

janoycresva wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:26 pm decided to do some squats for the first time in a while, kept the weight conservative and all sets probably @6 at most if not lower

My memory is that you’ve been around the block on this a few times, and so I’m wary of being presumptuous in offering what may seem a pat response (but is not at all intended to be). That said, I have a question and a suggestion.

Question: What lifts involving knee extension don’t hurt your knee(s)?

Suggestion: Spend a week or two progressing goblet squats. If they don’t hurt, then you need to figure out what you’re doing differently in terms of hip and knee placement and movement once the bar is on your back. If they do hurt, post a video.

Not an SSC.
Not strong.
Have had knee drained multiple times.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:02 am

janoycresva wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:26 pm decided to do some squats for the first time in a while, kept the weight conservative and all sets probably @6 at most if not lower

"Right knee hurts" is kinda vague. Can you be a little more detailed? Maybe you have something going on with the knee that you should address.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 am

DCR wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:38 am My memory is that you’ve been around the block on this a few times, and so I’m wary of being presumptuous in offering what may seem a pat response (but is not at all intended to be). That said, I have a question and a suggestion.

not presumptuous at all, and you're right - i've been around the block on this a few times now, most recently with tendonitis in my left knee that stuck around for a few months but went away as of several months ago

as far as lifts involving knee extensions, only barbell squat variations and (very occasionally) heavy belt squats cause knee irritation for me, any single leg work is totally fine and i can hammer leg extensions or other machine shit all day with no issues
Suggestion: Spend a week or two progressing goblet squats. If they don’t hurt, then you need to figure out what you’re doing differently in terms of hip and knee placement and movement once the bar is on your back. If they do hurt, post a video.
i think the issue stems from my oddly misaligned/twisted hips relative to my torso, there seems to be some rotational and lateral forces on my knees at the bottom of the squat because of this

pain has gone away now anyway, just a tweak

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:50 am

janoycresva wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 am
DCR wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:38 am My memory is that you’ve been around the block on this a few times, and so I’m wary of being presumptuous in offering what may seem a pat response (but is not at all intended to be). That said, I have a question and a suggestion.

not presumptuous at all, and you're right - i've been around the block on this a few times now, most recently with tendonitis in my left knee that stuck around for a few months but went away as of several months ago

as far as lifts involving knee extensions, only barbell squat variations and (very occasionally) heavy belt squats cause knee irritation for me, any single leg work is totally fine and i can hammer leg extensions or other machine shit all day with no issues
i think the issue stems from my oddly misaligned/twisted hips relative to my torso, there seems to be some rotational and lateral forces on my knees at the bottom of the squat because of this

pain has gone away now anyway, just a tweak
I'm the opposite - I can squat til I'm blue so long as I keep certain cues in mind (I've squatted every other day for a year or so now, for better or for worse), but a single set of leg extensions and my right knee becomes a soccer ball.

Given the hip issue, I suspect that you're right to tell bilateral squats to fuck off. I initially had a thought on how to tackle that, but, after mulling it, I think you'd just end up fixing your knees at the expense of fucking up your hips. The only suggestion that I have then is to perhaps check out some of Tony Gentilcore's stuff on the topic of different body types and not having to make everything "even" in terms of squat stance and the like. I recognize that he isn't a champion powerlifter or whatever, more of a "strong regular guy," but I don't think that I've ever seen anyone else address the issue.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:35 am

DCR wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:50 am Given the hip issue, I suspect that you're right to tell bilateral squats to fuck off. I initially had a thought on how to tackle that, but, after mulling it, I think you'd just end up fixing your knees at the expense of fucking up your hips. The only suggestion that I have then is to perhaps check out some of Tony Gentilcore's stuff on the topic of different body types and not having to make everything "even" in terms of squat stance and the like. I recognize that he isn't a champion powerlifter or whatever, more of a "strong regular guy," but I don't think that I've ever seen anyone else address the issue.
I'm able to make things look and feel somewhat even from the hips up if I take a hilariously staggered stance (left foot way back, rotated out more), but it still feels tremendously awkward, also feels weird for my lower back

my bench and ohp and deadlift are also influenced by this and all of them are visibly asymmetrical, but for whatever reason I don't tend to get beat up by those lifts (although benching does beat up my elbow a little on my right side, which is always visibly lower than the left side)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:24 pm

janoycresva wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:35 ammy bench and ohp and deadlift are also influenced by this and all of them are visibly asymmetrical, but for whatever reason I don't tend to get beat up by those lifts
Same here.

And I wasted way too much time listening to people peddling the idea that the big (bilateral) lifts by themselves were sufficient to iron out such issues over time.

I've since learned that the brain is amazing at compensation -- even at the expense of comfort.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:54 pm

This is the worst training "block" of my career. Kiddo 2 had a bad cold. Basically 2 weeks of shit sleep for me, wife, kiddo. Finally he gets over it. Kiddo 1 gets "mild" pneumonia. 1 day in I was sick. Damn sore throat, but otherwise fine. Telemedicine for a Zpak on likely strep (known exposure). 2 days in I was a f'ing mess. 103F, sore throat, infected ear, blah blah blah. Go to real doctor. Mono.

Ok, fine. Rest/fluid/pain meds/lots of snuggles.

I can't lift, drink, fence, do aggressive yardwork (which, btw, I have 3 large and very physical projects that need to be finished this spring). Shooting my bows is questionable. Now kiddo 2 has a stuffy nose AGAIN, so in addition to not being able to do anything I enjoy I also can't sleep.

I ordered a rowing machine (sunny health & fitness sf-rw5801 rower). I've been hunting for a used Concept 2, but not seen anything at reasonable prices and if I'm going to be stuck avoiding every activity I remotely look forward to I'm going to at least do some low impact cardio.

The good news is I've made progress on a bunch of achievements in WoW, cleaned half my barn and found 6 arrows my compound bow meaning I don't need to order more this year.