The sartorial thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: The sartorial thread

Post by Hanley » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:03 am

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:47 am I finally had some time to stop by the Red Wing store to try on a couple boots. They changed the footbeds to some foam rubber insert nonsense. Not the same as 5+yrs ago.
Bummer. Sounds like you're gonna have spring for the whites.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:09 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:03 am
BostonRugger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:47 am I finally had some time to stop by the Red Wing store to try on a couple boots. They changed the footbeds to some foam rubber insert nonsense. Not the same as 5+yrs ago.
You're exactly correct.

I gave notice at work last week so I've felt comfortable spending quite a bit of my morning looking at White's website. Deciding if going custom and doing British Tan CXL on the more work-ish style I want. Otherwise just do it in the brown distress / or the "red dog" leathers they offer on their work boot lines.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:33 am

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:09 am
You're exactly correct.

I gave notice at work last week so I've felt comfortable spending quite a bit of my morning looking at White's website. Deciding if going custom and doing British Tan CXL on the more work-ish style I want. Otherwise just do it in the brown distress / or the "red dog" leathers they offer on their work boot lines.
I find a hideously expensive pair of boots a fine way to celebrate loss of income.

For real, I wouldn't get cxl on a workish style boot. It's not at all resilient.

Edit: This is British Tan on the MP (it's a really nice leather....just shows every little scuff)

Last edited by Hanley on Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgeorgiev

Post by cgeorgiev » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:11 pm

Every windfall, birthday, tax refund, etc I'll buy high myself some fancy piece of clothing.
Purchased a few Mister Freedom shirts with my tax refund. Grabbed this one off of S&S' webstore on last call: https://standardandstrange.com/collecti ... adow-plaid

If any of ya'll are in LA, and got money to burn, their brick and mortar is a lot of fun to get lost in. It's like playing dress up as an adult.

Shame Red Wings is going downhill. My Iron Rangers are going on 10+ and they were the perfect introductory pair of workboots. I bought a pair of Wesco engineer boots a couple of years ago that I would stand behind, though it'll hit you in the pocket.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:53 pm

I’d pick wesco over whites, but I’d pick Viberg over both. Particularly as wesco have blown out to a 10 month wait.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:33 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:33 am
BostonRugger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:09 am
You're exactly correct.

I find a hideously expensive pair of boots a fine way to celebrate loss of income.

For real, I wouldn't get cxl on a workish style boot. It's not at all resilient.

Edit: This is British Tan on the MP (it's a really nice leather....just shows every little scuff)

Wabi sabi

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:44 am

simonrest wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:53 pm I’d pick Viberg over both.
Eh. They're very different. Vibergs are a more refined silhouette (to the point where they kinda just look like bland shoes) and are much less comfortable. I wear Whites way more often than Vibergs (I don't have Wescos).

But they're all incredibly well made.

stuffedsuperdud

Post by stuffedsuperdud » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 am

Possibly a stupid question, but do any of you guys have recommendations for golf pants or something of that nature? I'm one of the technical guys on the sales team, so I spend a lot of my job traveling to customers' manufacturing facilities, sometimes gowning up and crawling around to wherever the techs lead me and then doing some heavy lifting, which can be impractical in proper trousers or chinos, but I also have to be ready to wine and dine the director / VP / senior scientist / whatever other decision-making character wants a free meal and drinks immediately afterward, so I can't just show up in gym clothes either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for pants that can kind of go both ways, e.g. are durable, ideally stretchy for bending/squatting/crawling, and easy to wash in a hotel room if necessary, but still drapes neatly and can hold a crease, like proper pants? It occurred to me that golfers do what they do in what looks like dress pants, so I figured I'd start there, though I am certainly not limited to that.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:04 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 am Possibly a stupid question, but do any of you guys have recommendations for golf pants or something of that nature? I'm one of the technical guys on the sales team, so I spend a lot of my job traveling to customers' manufacturing facilities, sometimes gowning up and crawling around to wherever the techs lead me and then doing some heavy lifting, which can be impractical in proper trousers or chinos, but I also have to be ready to wine and dine the director / VP / senior scientist / whatever other decision-making character wants a free meal and drinks immediately afterward, so I can't just show up in gym clothes either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for pants that can kind of go both ways, e.g. are durable, ideally stretchy for bending/squatting/crawling, and easy to wash in a hotel room if necessary, but still drapes neatly and can hold a crease, like proper pants? It occurred to me that golfers do what they do in what looks like dress pants, so I figured I'd start there, though I am certainly not limited to that.
Looked at Outlier?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:06 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 am Does anyone have any suggestions for pants that can kind of go both ways, e.g. are durable, ideally stretchy for bending/squatting/crawling, and easy to wash in a hotel room if necessary, but still drapes neatly and can hold a crease, like proper pants? It occurred to me that golfers do what they do in what looks like dress pants, so I figured I'd start there, though I am certainly not limited to that.
Prana Brion pant. I've worn mine to a few weddings.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:40 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 am
Have you tried on any of the new Dockers'? I know they're just your run of the mill pants but quite a few of them do have stretch now. My job doesn't sound quite as physical as yours, but I have had to break up a few fights as well as participate in some crisis interventions while wearing them, and they did just fine for that. I've also squatted and deadlifted in them when I forgot my gym bag at home. I prefer the ones that look like jeans, but they do have other options.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:11 am

stuffedsuperdud wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 am Possibly a stupid question, but do any of you guys have recommendations for golf pants or something of that nature? I'm one of the technical guys on the sales team, so I spend a lot of my job traveling to customers' manufacturing facilities, sometimes gowning up and crawling around to wherever the techs lead me and then doing some heavy lifting, which can be impractical in proper trousers or chinos, but I also have to be ready to wine and dine the director / VP / senior scientist / whatever other decision-making character wants a free meal and drinks immediately afterward, so I can't just show up in gym clothes either.

Having zero aptitude in this area, I bit the bullet and got Lululemon (Commission, looks like they are considered golf pants) on Feigenbaum's rec and they seem like they might fit the bill for you here.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:02 pm

@stuffedsuperdud, Dickies makes some form of “flex” fabric that’s kinda flexible but not overly so. As a result, it will hold pleats fairly well. It’s also a bit hefty so it drapes well. Not great in the heat, but a solid work pant that doesn’t look overly “blue collar” if you opt out of the extra pocket versions.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:41 pm

This is still the boot thread, right?
Because I can't stop thinking about the black prairie leather on the Red Wing moc toe.
https://www.redwingshoes.com/heritage/m ... s-heritage

They even have my size in stock.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 am

Allentown wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:41 pm This is still the boot thread, right?
Because I can't stop thinking about the black prairie leather on the Red Wing moc toe.

I know this was ages ago, but I really like my Thorogood moc toes. They're my work boots for stuff around the house. Bought them to replace a pair of Ariat Work Hogs that I've had for years and years. I was just going to buy another pair of Work Hogs since they lasted so long, but I went for the Thorogoods because they were American made for almost the same price. My only regret is grabbing them in the tobacco color. Had no idea they were offered in Crazy Horse, or I would have grabbed those instead.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:56 am

Brackish wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 am

I know this was ages ago, but I really like my Thorogood moc toes. They're my work boots for stuff around the house. Bought them to replace a pair of Ariat Work Hogs that I've had for years and years. I was just going to buy another pair of Work Hogs since they lasted so long, but I went for the Thorogoods because they were American made for almost the same price. My only regret is grabbing them in the tobacco color. Had no idea they were offered in Crazy Horse, or I would have grabbed those instead.
Bet some mink oil will get it pretty close to the color you want and you'll have waterproof boots too. Just know that mink oil can stretch out leather a bit so if they're borderline too big for you I would go for some sno seal instead.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:14 am

Yeah I have been eyeing some Thorogoods for a while as my house chore boot, but honestly the Whites Perry is about the same price, and is apparently much better.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:40 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:14 am

Yeah I have been eyeing some Thorogoods for a while as my house chore boot, but honestly the Whites Perry is about the same price, and is apparently much better.
I would 100% go for the White's over the Thorogoods, but the White's weren't available at that price point when I was in the market.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:30 am

Brackish wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:40 am I would 100% go for the White's over the Thorogoods, but the White's weren't available at that price point when I was in the market.
Speaking of, they are having the black Friday sale. Even cheaper.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:30 am
Brackish wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:40 am I would 100% go for the White's over the Thorogoods, but the White's weren't available at that price point when I was in the market.
Speaking of, they are having the black Friday sale. Even cheaper.
I've bought two pairs of boots in the last two weeks, so I'm going to avoid looking at their website entirely. :lol: