Global Warming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Global Warming Thread

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm What exactly is ignorant? If the oceans are absorbing all that heat, why hasn't the level risen? Water expands with heat you know... Science by consensus...

Skander

Post by Skander » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Have you seen what happens in the case of any natural disasters, or even basic changes in the economy (have to save coal! Manufacturing jobs for all!)... And that's stuff we acknowledge exists (see Skids super helpful contributions above). Basically we're screwed and probably going to be terribly prepared to handle it...

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:28 pm

What a bunch of doomers! I hope it gets warmer but I haven't seen it yet in my 55 years. It'd be nice if BC had California's climate...

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

tersh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 am The IPCC reports contain good science, but the decision process about what goes into them is also a political one.
Incidentally, my sister-in-law is one of the scientists recognized for "contributing to the award of the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007 to the IPCC". Aka "1/2000th of 1/2 of the Nobel Peace Price".

Sure there are political considerations...They are making recommendations to governments after all. As soon as you go from "what is happening" to "what should we do about it?", you leave the realm of science and enter into politics.
tersh wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 am The history of sea ice modeling shows that fairly clearly, IIRC. The people who started sounding the alarm bells on that in the early-mid 2000s were considered to be taking very extreme positions when they talked about an ice-free summer Arctic in the 2020s, or 2030s, IIRC.
Like this guy? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7139797.stm
circa 2007 wrote:"Our projection of 2013 for the removal of ice in summer is not accounting for the last two minima, in 2005 and 2007," the researcher from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, explained to the BBC.
"So given that fact, you can argue that may be our projection of 2013 is already too conservative."
I'm not trying to play gotcha, but people ignore alarmists for a reason. I'm not sure being wrong by 5-10 or even 20 years really matters in the long run, but it does have a negative effect on their credibility.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pmWhat exactly is ignorant? If the oceans are absorbing all that heat, why hasn't the level risen? Water expands with heat you know... Science by consensus...
I'll leave this here for you so you can Science by consensus the answer to your own question.Image

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm
Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pmWhat exactly is ignorant? If the oceans are absorbing all that heat, why hasn't the level risen? Water expands with heat you know... Science by consensus...
I'll leave this here for you so you can Science by consensus the answer to your own question.Image
Whatever man... Europe is forecast to have its coldest winter in years.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pmWhatever man... Europe is forecast to have its coldest winter in years.
So is Colorado. And?

deant

Post by deant » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 pm So is Colorado. And?
And Colorado has a lot of making up to do for the complete lack of snow last ski season. So far so good...keep up the good work! :)

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:28 pm What a bunch of doomers! I hope it gets warmer but I haven't seen it yet in my 55 years. It'd be nice if BC had California's climate...
not for the people in california...

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:21 pm

deant wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pmAnd Colorado has a lot of making up to do for the complete lack of snow last ski season. So far so good...keep up the good work! :)
Words were exchanged. The climate gods were appeased. Snow is now falling.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:32 pm
Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pmWhatever man... Europe is forecast to have its coldest winter in years.
So is Colorado. And?
The predictions were that cold weather and snow were going to fade away over time. Snow was to be a thing of the past with all that global warming and shit :roll: :lol:

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm
So is Colorado. And?
The predictions were that cold weather and snow were going to fade away over time. Snow was to be a thing of the past with all that global warming and shit :roll: :lol:
Can you cite any examples of this? When were any of these "predictions" part of the actual mainstream? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never come across predictions like that.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm

EricK wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm
So is Colorado. And?
Can you cite any examples of this? When were any of these "predictions" part of the actual mainstream? I'm genuinely curious, because I've never come across predictions like that.
That prediction was for Britain if I recall correctly, and it's snowed every year since. But do a Google search for failed climate predictions. I'm sure there's lots out there.

Question to all you global warmer's - What exactly do you propose to do about it? Purposefully introduce smog into the atmosphere to cool earth off(just read about that a week or so ago)? Have you changed your affluent lifestyle?

I do get the point of being "green" and all that. I bet I'm greener than most here. I generate my own electricity with my hydro-power system (seen in my avatar). I live on a farm where we grow a lot of the food we eat so a lot of our food is local. I take in truckloads of organics from off-site (that would normally be taken to the dump) to feed my soil. I grow and sell nut and fruit bearing trees in our nursery. etc, etc...

Anyways, scientific consensus in the 70's was that we could be entering an ice age. They may still be right...

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

I’m really stoked that skid has solved this whole climate change thing. I’m going to go tell that to the glacier in town that is receding over 100 yards PER YEAR, the ice field that is thinning by 10 meters per year, the coastal communities in the northwest that are being forced to relocate their villages that have been seasonally used for thousands of years due to catastrophic shoreline erosion, or the cruise ships that are now able to go through the northwest passage every summer due to the lack of ice.

Oh yeah, and if you think that sea levels haven’t risen, you either don’t know how to google or are a moron.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:45 pm

It's all moot, bitches. I was driving through Yellowstone a few weeks ago, and -- while stunningly gorgeous -- I felt the next mass-extinction in me bones. That fucking place.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm
So is Colorado. And?
That prediction was for Britain if I recall correctly, and it's snowed every year since. But do a Google search for failed climate predictions. I'm sure there's lots out there.

Question to all you global warmer's - What exactly do you propose to do about it? Purposefully introduce smog into the atmosphere to cool earth off(just read about that a week or so ago)? Have you changed your affluent lifestyle?

I do get the point of being "green" and all that. I bet I'm greener than most here. I generate my own electricity with my hydro-power system (seen in my avatar). I live on a farm where we grow a lot of the food we eat so a lot of our food is local. I take in truckloads of organics from off-site (that would normally be taken to the dump) to feed my soil. I grow and sell nut and fruit bearing trees in our nursery. etc, etc...

Anyways, scientific consensus in the 70's was that we could be entering an ice age. They may still be right...
Aren’t you into cyptocurrencies?

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm
Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm
So is Colorado. And?

Aren’t you into cyptocurrencies?
Yeah, I mine bitcoin with my excess power.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm I’m really stoked that skid has solved this whole climate change thing. I’m going to go tell that to the glacier in town that is receding over 100 yards PER YEAR, the ice field that is thinning by 10 meters per year, the coastal communities in the northwest that are being forced to relocate their villages that have been seasonally used for thousands of years due to catastrophic shoreline erosion, or the cruise ships that are now able to go through the northwest passage every summer due to the lack of ice.

Oh yeah, and if you think that sea levels haven’t risen, you either don’t know how to google or are a moron.
Glaciers have been melting for the last 10,000 years. What started that?

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:09 pm

But, the whole economy behind bitcoin consumes absolutely ludicrous amounts of power, so you are directly involved in that.

I do also enjoy the “in the 1970s people said...” arguments. You could smoke on airplanes, hell, they were fine with women smoking while pregnant. Plus, we have gotten a little bit better at the whole satellite and computer modeling since then.

Yes, glaciers have been melting since the last ice age, but not at the pace they are now, especially not in Alaska.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Mkgillman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm
Skid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:09 pm

But, the whole economy behind bitcoin consumes absolutely ludicrous amounts of power, so you are directly involved in that.

I do also enjoy the “in the 1970s people said...” arguments. You could smoke on airplanes, hell, they were fine with women smoking while pregnant. Plus, we have gotten a little bit better at the whole satellite and computer modeling since then.

Yes, glaciers have been melting since the last ice age, but not at the pace they are now, especially not in Alaska.
What sort of work do you do in Alaska? Is your only export oil? I hear things are pretty expensive up there since almost everything has to be shipped in.

The 70's were great by the way. No political correctness, being free(r)... It's interesting that all the climate modeling today uses all those inaccurate baselines from the 70's and earlier.

During the last ice age the glaciers over northern North America were miles thick. But things are melting faster now right? :roll: That's genius level shit there my man!

"Oh yeah, and if you think that sea levels haven’t risen, you either don’t know how to google or are a moron." - Name calling and everything!