Barbell Lunges

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Shane
Great Old One

Barbell Lunges

Post by Shane » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Anyone do them? I did some. Seemed to require a little sumpin' sumpin' that I didn't really have. Maybe I just need to learn the movement. I did the step back style, not the step forward style. Was only doing 75kg but 7's on each leg (alternating), was a serious effort. Related question, is there any point doing them? Sole reason I did was needing a new thing to do to keep my brain alive. But if ally'all start using the words teardrop, an sweeping, and badonkadonk, I could totally keep going. Unless my patellas fly off. That seemed like a risk.

<Begin scorn>:

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Re: Barbell Lunges

Post by simonrest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:49 pm

I did some as part of a rehab program. front foot elevated. Quads were burning, but I didn't run it long enough to see if it did anything.

I;ve taken to using the leg press for convenience sake, but I guess if you are home gymming lunges are a good option

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:56 am

They're good for hypertrophy, supposedly (high reps, obv). Tough to get the hang of balancing with any significant weight. I hate doing them. Mostly they were included on deload weeks.

Melody

Post by Melody » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:10 am

Jordan programs them for me occasionally. They seems to hit the corner of my ass right where it needs to be bigger.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:14 am

Melody wrote:Jordan programs them for me occasionally. They seems to hit the corner of my ass right where it needs to be bigger.
I, too, need to increase the size of my ass corners.
I did some holding the baby once shortly after going off work, he wouldn't let me put him down and seemed to like moving around, my back was hurting but I still wanted some sort of leg work. I did 100. Made my back hurt.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm

simonrest wrote:I did some as part of a rehab program. front foot elevated. Quads were burning, but I didn't run it long enough to see if it did anything.
I;ve taken to using the leg press for convenience sake, but I guess if you are home gymming lunges are a good option
Yeah I'd hit a leg press in a second. As it is I'm looking for something I can do at home that's not just more squats. I've dabbled with front squats but the front rack position will never be comfortable with my long forearms.
Manveer wrote:They're good for hypertrophy, supposedly (high reps, obv). Tough to get the hang of balancing with any significant weight. I hate doing them. Mostly they were included on deload weeks.
Yeah the balancing was tougher than expected. And I wasn't getting a consistent distance or lateral spread stepping back. I'm not sure if my knee hurt a bit just from the mechanics of it, or from lateral movement and bouncing it off the concrete.
Melody wrote:Jordan programs them for me occasionally. They seems to hit the corner of my ass right where it needs to be bigger.
I would not complain if I could get some more corner ass swole going on. I did notice some intriguing new areas of activity, but I was doing good mornings as well so wasn't sure what was doing what. Fingers crossed I can keep doing them.
Allentown wrote: I, too, need to increase the size of my ass corners.
I did some holding the baby once shortly after going off work, he wouldn't let me put him down and seemed to like moving around, my back was hurting but I still wanted some sort of leg work. I did 100. Made my back hurt.
Babies are all about killing your back. This I learned. During pregnancy: wife's back - killed. Breastfeeding: kid only happy if uncomfortable and back being destroyed. Happiest in a stroller or baby bjorn? Baby bjorn, because that way, some back pain is involved. Nap time: she wanted to hold on to a hand while we patted her to go to sleep - result - contorted over the side of a cot and back fucked up! Mission accomplished kid.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 am

Shane wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm Babies are all about killing your back. This I learned. During pregnancy: wife's back - killed. Breastfeeding: kid only happy if uncomfortable and back being destroyed. Happiest in a stroller or baby bjorn? Baby bjorn, because that way, some back pain is involved. Nap time: she wanted to hold on to a hand while we patted her to go to sleep - result - contorted over the side of a cot and back fucked up! Mission accomplished kid.
We both spent three weeks dressing the kid in the crib, bent over at a weird angle, fighting to get a floppy hand through long sleeves without somehow bending all 5 fingers in different directions at the same time. One day, in a fog, one of us realized the changing table was more conducive to that kind of thing. :oops:

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 am
Shane wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm Babies are all about killing your back. This I learned. During pregnancy: wife's back - killed. Breastfeeding: kid only happy if uncomfortable and back being destroyed. Happiest in a stroller or baby bjorn? Baby bjorn, because that way, some back pain is involved. Nap time: she wanted to hold on to a hand while we patted her to go to sleep - result - contorted over the side of a cot and back fucked up! Mission accomplished kid.
We both spent three weeks dressing the kid in the crib, bent over at a weird angle, fighting to get a floppy hand through long sleeves without somehow bending all 5 fingers in different directions at the same time. One day, in a fog, one of us realized the changing table was more conducive to that kind of thing. :oops:
Oh I'm so looking forward to all this fun and adventure. Hopefully I'll remember this post and not do the same thing.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 am We both spent three weeks dressing the kid in the crib, bent over at a weird angle, fighting to get a floppy hand through long sleeves without somehow bending all 5 fingers in different directions at the same time. One day, in a fog, one of us realized the changing table was more conducive to that kind of thing. :oops:
Gold! Do you use a sleeping bag (e.g., Like this)? Best things ever. No tucking a squirmy screaming half frozen child back into the blankets.
damufunman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 am Oh I'm so looking forward to all this fun and adventure. Hopefully I'll remember this post and not do the same thing.
The list of things you'll get wrong is almost never ending. There's too much shit going on and everything you learn before it happens magically disappears from your brain.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm

You know what's great for babies? Grandparents. Sic that baby on your mom or dad, or your spouses.

DeriHughes

Post by DeriHughes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 am

Shane wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm Gold! Do you use a sleeping bag (e.g., Like this)? Best things ever. No tucking a squirmy screaming half frozen child back into the blankets.
This is way better: https://www.naturalbabyshower.co.uk/pro ... gIkdPD_BwE

Pins their arms up so they can't knock the dummy out. That, or just very aggressive hard swaddling to pin their arms to their chest.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 am

Shane wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm Gold! Do you use a sleeping bag (e.g., Like this)? Best things ever. No tucking a squirmy screaming half frozen child back into the blankets.
Yup, almost every night.