Best Squat Bracing Video I have seen in a while

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

KDW
HODGE

Best Squat Bracing Video I have seen in a while

Post by KDW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

I think Dave Woolson does an amazing job explaining how to properly brace for your low bar squat in this video. Seeing it done is so much more effective than reading an explanation.

Hope this helps some of you lifters with "buttwink", over-extension and possibly lower back pain associated with that, losing the bar forward/bar path, understanding what it means to "try to be too upright", etc.

I agree with pretty much all of the bracing technique that Dave Woolson outlines in this video. Doing these things have definitely helped to making my third attempt squats for the last three years look like I was sandbagging.

Mike T says strength is basically "how tight you can get". Get hodge.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Best Squat Bracing Video I have seen in a while

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 pm

I like the tip about the pursed lip breath in.

Thanks.
I have added their site to my speedial page, and watched his bench video too.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:33 am

Good video.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 am

I just this minute applied the "leading with the elbows" on descent tip from his bench set up video.
I think that was just the cue i needed, Made sense in my head, and it is easy for me to feel.
Good result with my top single.
I have bookmarked that site.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 am

I did the pursed lip breathing thing on my second and third set of squats last night, as well as on benches because why not. It seemed to kind of help, although I think I need to watch the video a few times to really get what he's trying to say re: rib cage / pelvic stuff.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 am

The rib cage stuff, particularly the demonstration of him setting up by extending his upper back and then pulling his ribcage down, I found really helpful. I've always focussed on the lower back and keeping it neutral by extending (isometrically) against the tension of my abs but it never clicked that keeping the upper back from extending too much was a problem - actually thought it was desirable. Probably misinterpreting cues like superman chest and SS articles on thoracic extension.

That said it all felt a lot easier when just farting around trying it whilst watching the video then when I actually had a bar on my back!

The breathing stuff - I've always found those types of cues confusing. I can basically breath into my chest or my stomach but beyond that I can't 'feel' how to do anything differently in relation to pushing my diaphragm down/360 air etc.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am

RobUK wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 am The rib cage stuff, particularly the demonstration of him setting up by extending his upper back and then pulling his ribcage down, I found really helpful. I've always focussed on the lower back and keeping it neutral by extending (isometrically) against the tension of my abs but it never clicked that keeping the upper back from extending too much was a problem - actually thought it was desirable. Probably misinterpreting cues like superman chest and SS articles on thoracic extension.

That said it all felt a lot easier when just farting around trying it whilst watching the video then when I actually had a bar on my back!

The breathing stuff - I've always found those types of cues confusing. I can basically breath into my chest or my stomach but beyond that I can't 'feel' how to do anything differently in relation to pushing my diaphragm down/360 air etc.
I ended up feeling pretty much the same way RE: the breathing.
Made perfect sense under the empty bar.
Way different with 400lbs on my back.
What i think may work (eventually) is for me to breathe how ii do now, and finish with the pursed lip the last little bit.

I'm pretty sure all i did when i tried it the first time, was to get less air than i normally do.
This is a lousy time for me to be trying new shit out, but i'll see how it goes later today.

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am This is a lousy time for me to be trying new shit out, but i'll see how it goes later today.
I have a nasty habit of trying new things out during warm ups to pr attempts!

DynamicUprightRows

Post by DynamicUprightRows » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Awesome video thanks