100 Starting Strength gyms in 5 years

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: 100 Starting Strength gyms in 5 years

Post by mgil » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:30 am

That video is awful.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:22 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:30 am That video is awful.
The best hooks literally on the planet:

the ones that are available in wfac

These asshole thicc J hooks half-inch thick plastic flanges all around them are legit dangerous

If people would just look and try a little bit more ( and shut up a lot more ) about what Rip is doing, it would be a better world.
From the youtube comments. I was pleasantly surprised by the presence of actual hooks, but I guess not to everyone's liking. FWIW I like the large lip for everything but benching.

Now, more interestingly is "https://bestronger.co.il/". I sent in for a free report on how I can be doing SS wrong by myself.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:45 am

Is it bad that I assumed this dude was putting on an accent for the first few moments because I didn't expect him to be part of the SS demo?

Also... what in the absolute fuck...

Also... by habit when I rack the bar I tend to look to my left, I don't actually know why but more times then not I'll turn to the left... have not died...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:23 pm

Kind of a side topic to this ....I need help with.....

Help me out here....there is an old folksy saying about when a large scam/cult/deception/pyramid scheme is found out about....the hardest person to convince of the crime is not the police, lawyers, judge, etc.....it is the person who originally got scammed. Between the.person being so invested into the scam, and their own ego or pride getting in the way of admitting they were scammed.

I can't come up with anything with Google....it's about two sentences, maybe 20 words?

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:51 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:23 pm Kind of a side topic to this ....I need help with.....

Help me out here....there is an old folksy saying about when a large scam/cult/deception/pyramid scheme is found out about....the hardest person to convince of the crime is not the police, lawyers, judge, etc.....it is the person who originally got scammed. Between the.person being so invested into the scam, and their own ego or pride getting in the way of admitting they were scammed.

I can't come up with anything with Google....it's about two sentences, maybe 20 words?
“It is easier to fool a man, than to convince him he has been fooled.”

- Batman

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:59 am

mikeylikey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:51 pm
mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:23 pm Kind of a side topic to this ....I need help with.....

“It is easier to fool a man, than to convince him he has been fooled.”

- Batman
no shit? Batman?

I was thinking this was Socrates or something . . .lololol

thanks

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:56 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:59 am no shit? Batman?

I was thinking this was Socrates or something . . .lololol
It's often attributed to Mark Twain, but many sites debunk that claim.

This site traces the origin to "W. L. Baldridge, founding editor and publisher of the Dexter Dispatch, a newspaper that served the tiny town of Dexter, Kansas from 1905 to 1915."

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:18 pm

Wait, Batman's real name is W.L Baldridge?

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:38 am

Whenever I see an article which mentions nothing which has been in a public discussion, I always wonder what private discussions prompted it.

https://startingstrength.com/article/th ... enticeship

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:10 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:38 am Whenever I see an article which mentions nothing which has been in a public discussion, I always wonder what private discussions prompted it.

https://startingstrength.com/article/th ... enticeship
Sounds like someone got a hair across their ass about a person asking how much they’d get paid as an apprentice. I have no idea how this question was brought up, but it’s an important and useful question to ask. Like “can I afford food and rent while doing this?”, you know, like other blue collar labor apprentices?

Anyhow, I love when they knock trainers that “do little more than make their clients sweat for an hour”. Like that shit is legitimately important for some people. Not everyone needs to “train” but goddamnit everyone needs to exercise.

All of the rhetoric around SS is needed in order to trump up how important and impactful the programming is. That way, when the programming fails, as it always does, the trainee willingly takes the blame and continues to pay them. It’s like preemptive gaslighting. Rip’s only true innovation.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:23 am

The Starting Strength Coach credential is widely recognized as the most valuable certification in the industry
It’s one thing for them to be up their own asses in their own little circle jerk, but this crosses the line into outright falsehood. I don’t get any sense that the author is a bad guy, but perhaps just unintelligent. I felt dickish writing that but I can’t come up with another explanation for this sort of earnest delusion.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:41 am

DCR wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:23 am
The Starting Strength Coach credential is widely recognized as the most valuable certification in the industry
It’s one thing for them to be up their own asses in their own little circle jerk, but this crosses the line into outright falsehood. I don’t get any sense that the author is a bad guy, but perhaps just unintelligent. I felt dickish writing that but I can’t come up with another explanation for this sort of earnest delusion.
“Puffery”

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:01 am

Complete bullshit. They're not even accredited.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:21 am

Maybe a falsehood. For sure possible.

But, when someone in a cult earnestly tells you something you know is wrong, then I think it’s cult shit.

Then again, the people at the top who are profiting likely know it’s lying. I don’t know where this author falls in the pyramid scheme.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:14 pm

hector wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:21 am
Maybe a falsehood. For sure possible.

But, when someone in a cult earnestly tells you something you know is wrong, then I think it’s cult shit.

Then again, the people at the top who are profiting likely know it’s lying. I don’t know where this author falls in the pyramid scheme.
Agree. I ended up watching a bunch of his videos. (Nothing else to do while my Steelers throw up all over themselves.) This dude is very deep in, exaggerating the cues beyond anything reasonable and completely convinced of the rightness of the doctrine with no alternative.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:02 pm

The best part about new SSCs is that they repeat all of the stupid rhetoric all of the old (ex)SSCs used to ramble on about apparently with no idea that it’s stupid bullshit.

There’s a literal history of Rip running off old SSCs and prior out on the internet and yet there are still idiots lining up to buy in.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:26 pm

Maybe by valuable they mean expensive?

hector

Post by hector » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:13 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:02 pm The best part about new SSCs is that they repeat all of the stupid rhetoric all of the old (ex)SSCs used to ramble on about apparently with no idea that it’s stupid bullshit.

There’s a literal history of Rip running off old SSCs and prior out on the internet and yet there are still idiots lining up to buy in.
Do you remember when, just for a minute, they had everyone stare at their own toes while squatting?
I guess the idea was that if a slightly downward glance was good, then staring at your toes would be great.
They backed off of that in a weird, rare example of course correction.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:59 pm

hector wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:13 pm
mgil wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:02 pm The best part about new SSCs is that they repeat all of the stupid rhetoric all of the old (ex)SSCs used to ramble on about apparently with no idea that it’s stupid bullshit.

Do you remember when, just for a minute, they had everyone stare at their own toes while squatting?
I guess the idea was that if a slightly downward glance was good, then staring at your toes would be great.
They backed off of that in a weird, rare example of course correction.
Yeah, and there was a video with a guy staring directly at his own junk and Rip was telling him he was doing a good job. Neck extension is bad but neck flexion is good.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:49 am

mgil wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:10 am Anyhow, I love when they knock trainers that “do little more than make their clients sweat for an hour”. Like that shit is legitimately important for some people. Not everyone needs to “train” but goddamnit everyone needs to exercise.
I mean if you're operating a gym targeted at general population and you're based in the US, making your clients sweat for an hour (and giving them appropriate nutritional recommendations) is much more important than anything else, because the majority of the general population is overweight or obese. These people don't need a bigger squat or larger muscles as much as they need to just get in shape to avoid dying from a stroke, a heart attack or diabetes. Besides, if you're overweight or obese you probably already have a decent amount of muscle mass. The logic is backwards.