Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

TornAlien

Re: Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

Post by TornAlien » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:23 am

My dad started exercising at 41 and he loves the process. It's been 4 years and even if it's a little harder, he still continues. Just don't give up!

dlocas7

Post by dlocas7 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:37 am

fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 am
Yes. We're training for strength n endurance.

How are you guys do it there?
I'm training for strength. I've been lifting since 2013 and entered amateur strongman competitions between 2014 and 2019.

I'm working different kinds of deadlifts and differend kinds of presses and some other lifts, including grip-related stuff, with as heavy a weight I can safely handle. Right now, I lift full-body three times a week. Just take a look at my training log. To train for strength, I need to use weights that are heavy enough to drive improvement, but not so heavy that I put myself in harm's way. This is a very simple and general explanation.

There are many great contents on this topic. This one is from this year's world's strongest man, but the principles he talks about are the same for everyone.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:56 am

dlocas7 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:37 am
There are many great contents on this topic. This one is from this year's world's strongest man, but the principles he talks about are the same for everyone.
Not "One of", he won pretty convincingly. He also has a Master's Degree and is a partner in a chain of PT clinics in Australia and Canada. Hooper puts out stellar info.

dlocas7

Post by dlocas7 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:13 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:56 am
Not "One of", he won pretty convincingly. He also has a Master's Degree and is a partner in a chain of PT clinics in Australia and Canada. Hooper puts out stellar info.
This is why I chose his content among a select few such as Mike Tuchscherer's RTS. One big take-away I recently learned from Hooper is the importance of avoiding too drastic jumps in weight on the bar or reps per set. He's the one who's helped me the most when I wrote my current program according to my goals, limitations, work schedule, etc. I fully agree with you. He puts out stellar info indeed.