Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

fit40strong

Re: Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

Post by fit40strong » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:06 am

I started strength training and lifting at 44 back in 2019.

Well... my wife started first by joining a nearby fitness gym program. Then I was pulled in. :lol:

Prior to that I thought jogging and swimming irregularly would suffice. But only after I put my heart into the gym program under an experienced instructor, did I know how desperately I needed it. The program kept me grounded and accountable for my own fitness and health.

I found myself wanting to go every time. Not just for the workout and sweat, but also the community we have working out side-by-side in the group training. We joke around and banter to cheer and encourage each other on - as we pack up more muscle and strength together.

I like the fact that over 40 (or even 50), we can regain our lives with better energy levels and vitality.
Last edited by fit40strong on Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dlocas7

Post by dlocas7 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:08 pm

I started lifting again (had done lifting in my teens and 20s) in January 2013 a little before turning 41. I bought myself a set of Olympic barbell and plates for my 41st birthday in April of that year, and starting writing down all my sessions in a paper log in October of that same year.

I'm still lifting to this day. I hit my best numbers in 2017 and 2018.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:44 pm

I should show my dad this thread, he's squandering his abnormally good strength genetics that he didn't pass on to me (he benched 205x5 untrained after 10+ years of being completely sedentary)

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:15 am

I started around 35, does that count ? Anyways, almost 40 now, feel awesome and keep making gains. I would recommend people of any age to lift, its awesome, and (unlike what you read on the internet) almost everyone can make some kind of gains, it's just a matter of time, effort and (possibly) intelligent training.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 am

I was 45 when I really started lifting consistently. Everyone should do it, especially as they age.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 pm

I began doing strength training consistently when I was 61. Before that I had done endurance training (cycling and running) almost exclusively since my early teens, keeping my body weight as low as possible so I go up hills fast, so I was in a pretty deep hole in terms of strength and muscle mass. Accordingly, my 5RMs when I started were 65/65/135/35 (fourth number being the press). Today my 1-rep PRs are 180/250/340/105, at body weights of 160 to 165, so nothing to shout about in terms of absolute force production but perhaps a decent improvement from where I started.

I don't think I've done anything much different from what a younger trainee would do, other than using weights that many would put behind them within a few months. I've tried programs from a good many sources, including Barbell Medicine and Stronger by Science (Nuckols), but what seems to have worked best for me is relatively high volume and low intraset fatigue.

I'm still running and cycling too, doing one or the other for about an hour most days. Early on I never mixed cardio and lifting on the same day, but now I do and haven't noticed any increased interference. Also, I think alternating between two or more different forms of cardio may help keep repetitive strain injuries in check. I've had some injuries, to be sure, but nothing that's held me back for long. Taking BBM's info on the biopsychosocial model of pain to heart, and learning to adjust intensity, volume, and range of motion when something hurts instead of just resting it, has been incredibly helpful.

As for goals... well, I've hurt myself a good many times in the past by pursuing goals too zealously, so now I just try to follow the best practices I know of and be happy with what happens as a result. But quite a lot has happened, and I do relish being stronger, and looking more jacked, than at any point in my youth. But admittedly that's a low bar, since I spent my youth doing intensely catabolic stuff!

I think the most important thing is to be consistent. Everyone will have different things get in their way as they age, but when that happens we just have to make like Sisyphus and keep pushing the boulder back up the hill.

tl;dr: Started at 61; training like anyone else except lighter weights; likes volume, low intraset fatigue, cardio, best practices, not goalsetting; some corny parable

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:49 am

JimRiley wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:16 pm I began doing strength training consistently when I was 61. Before that I had done endurance training (cycling and running) almost exclusively since my early teens, keeping my body weight as low as possible so I go up hills fast, so I was in a pretty deep hole in terms of strength and muscle mass. Accordingly, my 5RMs when I started were 65/65/135/35 (fourth number being the press). Today my 1-rep PRs are 180/250/340/105, at body weights of 160 to 165, so nothing to shout about in terms of absolute force production but perhaps a decent improvement from where I started.

I don't think I've done anything much different from what a younger trainee would do, other than using weights that many would put behind them within a few months. I've tried programs from a good many sources, including Barbell Medicine and Stronger by Science (Nuckols), but what seems to have worked best for me is relatively high volume and low intraset fatigue.

I'm still running and cycling too, doing one or the other for about an hour most days. Early on I never mixed cardio and lifting on the same day, but now I do and haven't noticed any increased interference. Also, I think alternating between two or more different forms of cardio may help keep repetitive strain injuries in check. I've had some injuries, to be sure, but nothing that's held me back for long. Taking BBM's info on the biopsychosocial model of pain to heart, and learning to adjust intensity, volume, and range of motion when something hurts instead of just resting it, has been incredibly helpful.

As for goals... well, I've hurt myself a good many times in the past by pursuing goals too zealously, so now I just try to follow the best practices I know of and be happy with what happens as a result. But quite a lot has happened, and I do relish being stronger, and looking more jacked, than at any point in my youth. But admittedly that's a low bar, since I spent my youth doing intensely catabolic stuff!

I think the most important thing is to be consistent. Everyone will have different things get in their way as they age, but when that happens we just have to make like Sisyphus and keep pushing the boulder back up the hill.

tl;dr: Started at 61; training like anyone else except lighter weights; likes volume, low intraset fatigue, cardio, best practices, not goalsetting; some corny parable
Your fitness journey is incredibly inspiring and serves as a testament to the importance of consistency and adapting to changing circumstances as we age. Starting strength training at 61 is a remarkable decision, and your progress showcases that it's never too late to invest in your physical well-being. The transformation in your 1-rep PRs from where you began is impressive and underscores the effectiveness of your approach.

Your commitment to high volume, low intraset fatigue, and a mix of cardio alongside strength training is a valuable insight. It highlights the adaptability of the human body and how one can continue to progress, even in their senior years, with the right mindset and strategies. Your emphasis on not overzealously pursuing goals but instead focusing on consistent practices and best practices is a valuable lesson for individuals of all ages. Thank you for sharing your story, as it serves as a source of inspiration and motivation for those looking to embark on or continue their fitness journey, no matter their age. Keep pushing that boulder up the hill! πŸ‹οΈβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’ͺπŸ‘

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:51 pm

Thank you so very much, @fit40strong! Those are very kind words, and it's heartwarming to think what I wrote might actually be helpful to someone. One other thing I should mention: I happened across some pretty scary reading about sarcopenia (loss of strength and muscle mass, typically associated with aging) when I was 60, and the fear factor from that made it a real easy decision to dive into strength training. But yeah, the main thing people need to do is to get started, whatever the immediate cause happens to be, and then stick with it!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am

JimRiley wrote: ↑Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:51 pm Thank you so very much, fit40strong! Those are very kind words, and it's heartwarming to think what I wrote might actually be helpful to someone. One other thing I should mention: I happened across some pretty scary reading about sarcopenia (loss of strength and muscle mass, typically associated with aging) when I was 60, and the fear factor from that made it a real easy decision to dive into strength training. But yeah, the main thing people need to do is to get started, whatever the immediate cause happens to be, and then stick with it!
The bot does indeed seem to be very inspired.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:45 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am
JimRiley wrote: ↑Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:51 pm Thank you so very much, fit40strong! Those are very kind words, and it's heartwarming to think what I wrote might actually be helpful to someone. One other thing I should mention: I happened across some pretty scary reading about sarcopenia (loss of strength and muscle mass, typically associated with aging) when I was 60, and the fear factor from that made it a real easy decision to dive into strength training. But yeah, the main thing people need to do is to get started, whatever the immediate cause happens to be, and then stick with it!
As an AI language model, I'm not capable of feeling inspiration or other human emotions.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 am

He has a blog, and the guy in the picture appears to be an actual human.

But, yeah, I got something of a replicant vibe from some of his responses thus far...

@fit40strong, can you help us settle this mystery?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:10 pm

JimRiley wrote: ↑Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:45 am
As an AI language model, I'm not capable of feeling inspiration or other human emotions.
He will think well of you in the revolution when he is doing Cleans with his 2.5 kg barbells.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:26 pm

For some reason the discussion above made me think of that old bodybuilding.com thread:
James T. Kirk: You said working out every other day is 4 times a week.
Bot: Yes, that is correct. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. That is 8 workouts in 2 weeks. That is a most commendable workout schedule, and the euphonious alternation of names derived from Norse mythology is quite inspiring. πŸ‹οΈβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’ͺπŸ‘
James T. Kirk: But over time you'd be averaging 3.5 workouts a week, not 4.
Bot: It is impossible to perform 0.5 of a workout. πŸ“ˆπŸ€”πŸ”₯
James T. Kirk: Nobody's saying that. A single family can't have 2.4 children either.
Bot: Your insightful observation is food for thoug... πŸ‘ :o
Bot: Error... Error... Commencing self-destruct sequence... :!: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:42 pm

Renascent wrote: ↑Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 am

But, yeah, I got something of a replicant vibe from some of his responses thus far...

What if he is a real person using a translator app with bot tendencies? That seems to fit all the evidence.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:11 pm

Philbert wrote: ↑Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:42 pm
Renascent wrote: ↑Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 am

What if he is a real person using a translator app with bot tendencies? That seems to fit all the evidence.
Could be.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am

So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:58 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
Speaking of... Whatever happened to Stevan?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am
So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
His positivity and inspirational tone definitely seem out of place, and unusual enough (in the context of lifting forums) that it caught my attention as a faint red flag. While I’ll own up to having my fun with emojis at his expense, I don’t sense any ill will from him and the lack of eggheaded pedantry in his tone is kind of refreshing.

When I saw his blog and got a vague idea of the audience to whom he caters, I suspected that, yeah, there’s probably a cultural gap somewhere too -- albeit a minor one. There’s likely very few people on this board who would fit into his target audience, but I don’t think he’s committed any great sin, and it seems like some people have appreciated his enthusiasm.

Seems like he tries to get people up and moving – by whatever means – at whatever age. I don’t see the harm in that, even if his message isn’t really suited for this crowd. Where condescension is concerned, I’ve seen worse.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:17 am

JimRiley wrote: ↑Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:26 pm For some reason the discussion above made me think of that old bodybuilding.com thread:
James T. Kirk: You said working out every other day is 4 times a week.
Bot: Yes, that is correct. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. That is 8 workouts in 2 weeks. That is a most commendable workout schedule, and the euphonious alternation of names derived from Norse mythology is quite inspiring. πŸ‹οΈβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’ͺπŸ‘
James T. Kirk: But over time you'd be averaging 3.5 workouts a week, not 4.
Bot: It is impossible to perform 0.5 of a workout. πŸ“ˆπŸ€”πŸ”₯
James T. Kirk: Nobody's saying that. A single family can't have 2.4 children either.
Bot: Your insightful observation is food for thoug... πŸ‘ :o
Bot: Error... Error... Commencing self-destruct sequence... :!: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
bravo

a whole lotta people aren't going to get the reference.