Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

JimRiley

Re: Did anyone out there start lifting later in life (over 40)?

Post by JimRiley » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:47 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:17 am
JimRiley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:26 pm For some reason the discussion above made me think of that old bodybuilding.com thread:
James T. Kirk: You said working out every other day is 4 times a week.
Bot: Yes, that is correct. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. That is 8 workouts in 2 weeks. That is a most commendable workout schedule, and the euphonious alternation of names derived from Norse mythology is quite inspiring. 🏋️‍♂️💪👏
James T. Kirk: But over time you'd be averaging 3.5 workouts a week, not 4.
Bot: It is impossible to perform 0.5 of a workout. 📈🤔🔥
James T. Kirk: Nobody's saying that. A single family can't have 2.4 children either.
Bot: Your insightful observation is food for thoug... 👍 :o
Bot: Error... Error... Commencing self-destruct sequence... :!: :?: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
bravo

a whole lotta people aren't going to get the reference.
So much the better.

By the way, the workouts you're able to do at 103 are incredibly inspiring! 🏋️‍♂️💪👏

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:26 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am
So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
His positivity and inspirational tone definitely seem out of place, and unusual enough (in the context of lifting forums) that it caught my attention as a faint red flag. While I’ll own up to having my fun with emojis at his expense, I don’t sense any ill will from him and the lack of eggheaded pedantry in his tone is kind of refreshing.

When I saw his blog and got a vague idea of the audience to whom he caters, I suspected that, yeah, there’s probably a cultural gap somewhere too -- albeit a minor one. There’s likely very few people on this board who would fit into his target audience, but I don’t think he’s committed any great sin, and it seems like some people have appreciated his enthusiasm.

Seems like he tries to get people up and moving – by whatever means – at whatever age. I don’t see the harm in that, even if his message isn’t really suited for this crowd. Where condescension is concerned, I’ve seen worse.
This was my take. @Hardartery, you seem like you're having a bad day.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:26 pm
Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am
So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
His positivity and inspirational tone definitely seem out of place, and unusual enough (in the context of lifting forums) that it caught my attention as a faint red flag. While I’ll own up to having my fun with emojis at his expense, I don’t sense any ill will from him and the lack of eggheaded pedantry in his tone is kind of refreshing.

When I saw his blog and got a vague idea of the audience to whom he caters, I suspected that, yeah, there’s probably a cultural gap somewhere too -- albeit a minor one. There’s likely very few people on this board who would fit into his target audience, but I don’t think he’s committed any great sin, and it seems like some people have appreciated his enthusiasm.

Seems like he tries to get people up and moving – by whatever means – at whatever age. I don’t see the harm in that, even if his message isn’t really suited for this crowd. Where condescension is concerned, I’ve seen worse.
This was my take. Hardartery, you seem like you're having a bad day.
Nah, some types of people just piss me off, and the false flattery and cluelessness are right up there. He doesn't actually know anything, but he's happy to act like he does and accept money from people . I have more respect for Rip, honestly, he's full of shit but not clueless (In spite of the information that he provides generally).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pmNah, some types of people just piss me off, and the false flattery and cluelessness are right up there. He doesn't actually know anything, but he's happy to act like he does and accept money from people . I have more respect for Rip, honestly, he's full of shit but not clueless (In spite of the information that he provides generally).
I might've overlooked something, but I didn't see any evidence of him actually getting paid to teach or train.

Assuming he is human and his story is genuine, it seems like he accepted responsibility for some reversible health issues and made an effort to do something about them. That's enough to earn my respect.

Maybe he got bit by the fitness bug in the process of his transformation and is now spreading the gospel. Broadcasting instead of narrowcasting.

There's plenty of people out there who might want to make positive lifestyle changes but aren't the least bit motivated by the abilities of high-level athletes. Sometimes it's the average Joe or Jane that inspires someone who is too intimidated by the very thought of change.

I think gatekeeping "fitness" is a disservice to the very idea of exercise being accessible to all (barring physical limitations, anyway). Not everyone needs to know which direction Jim Israetel's or Dave Tuchscherer's dick curves at twelve on a third Sunday just to get started doing something. I see people all the time who might do well to just start with taking walks more often.

(I'm not saying any of this to try to change your mind. I just still feel kind of weird about my earlier jokes. "I don't mean any offense with regard to your opinion," is what I'm trying to say, I guess).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:10 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm
Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pmNah, some types of people just piss me off, and the false flattery and cluelessness are right up there. He doesn't actually know anything, but he's happy to act like he does and accept money from people . I have more respect for Rip, honestly, he's full of shit but not clueless (In spite of the information that he provides generally).
I might've overlooked something, but I didn't see any evidence of him actually getting paid to teach or train.

Assuming he is human and his story is genuine, it seems like he accepted responsibility for some reversible health issues and made an effort to do something about them. That's enough to earn my respect.

Maybe he got bit by the fitness bug in the process of his transformation and is now spreading the gospel. Broadcasting instead of narrowcasting.

There's plenty of people out there who might want to make positive lifestyle changes but aren't the least bit motivated by the abilities of high-level athletes. Sometimes it's the average Joe or Jane that inspires someone who is too intimidated by the very thought of change.

I think gatekeeping "fitness" is a disservice to the very idea of exercise being accessible to all (barring physical limitations, anyway). Not everyone needs to know which direction Jim Israetel's or Dave Tuchscherer's dick curves at twelve on a third Sunday just to get started doing something. I see people all the time who might do well to just start with taking walks more often.

(I'm not saying any of this to try to change your mind. I just still feel kind of weird about my earlier jokes. "I don't mean any offense with regard to your opinion," is what I'm trying to say, I guess).
His Reddit profile thingie looked like a wannabe coach if ever I saw one.
I am all for inclusivity, and am the nicest guy you can meet at the gym, but Richard Simmons annoys me.

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:53 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am
JimRiley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:51 pm Thank you so very much, fit40strong! Those are very kind words, and it's heartwarming to think what I wrote might actually be helpful to someone. One other thing I should mention: I happened across some pretty scary reading about sarcopenia (loss of strength and muscle mass, typically associated with aging) when I was 60, and the fear factor from that made it a real easy decision to dive into strength training. But yeah, the main thing people need to do is to get started, whatever the immediate cause happens to be, and then stick with it!
The bot does indeed seem to be very inspired.
He has a blog, and the guy in the picture appears to be an actual human.

But, yeah, I got something of a replicant vibe from some of his responses thus far...

@fit40strong, can you help us settle this mystery?
Hi Renascent

No mystery here. It's me. Just trying to be helpful with some encouragement.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:24 am

fit40strong wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:53 am
Renascent wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:20 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:25 am
JimRiley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:51 pm Thank you so very much, fit40strong! Those are very kind words, and it's heartwarming to think what I wrote might actually be helpful to someone. One other thing I should mention: I happened across some pretty scary reading about sarcopenia (loss of strength and muscle mass, typically associated with aging) when I was 60, and the fear factor from that made it a real easy decision to dive into strength training. But yeah, the main thing people need to do is to get started, whatever the immediate cause happens to be, and then stick with it!
The bot does indeed seem to be very inspired.
He has a blog, and the guy in the picture appears to be an actual human.

But, yeah, I got something of a replicant vibe from some of his responses thus far...

@fit40strong, can you help us settle this mystery?
Hi Renascent

No mystery here. It's me. Just trying to be helpful with some encouragement.
Welcome to the boards, my dude.

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:30 am

Thanks for accepting me as dude. 😂

Stevanovich

Post by Stevanovich » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 pm

AlanMackey wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:58 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
Speaking of... Whatever happened to Stevan?
What do you want to know

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:12 am

The more you guys post, the more I like this thread.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:49 am

Stevanovich wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 pm What do you want to know
Just wondering where you were. I haven't seen you posting in ages.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:40 pm

Stevanovich wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 pm
AlanMackey wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:58 am
Hardartery wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:36 am So you are indicating he's an annoying twat trying to build some sort of online presence? Even though he appears to know sweet dick all? Plus he's condescending and obnoxious? And the maybe English is not his Mother Tongue and that isn't helping? Doesn't matter, he's a turd that should get flushed.
Speaking of... Whatever happened to Stevan?
What do you want to know
What are you wearing, and what is your training like lately?

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:21 am

Hello seasoned strength trainers,

As usual, my wife and I went to our regular local gym yesterday. And under the instructor, we did the following:

4 x 45secs Barbell overhead press
4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Overhead triceps extension
4 x 45secs Wall ball
4 x 45secs Incline bench dumbbell press
4 x 45secs Smith machine bench press
4 x 45secs TRX reverse crunch / v crunch
4 x 45secs Fit ball double crunch
4 x 45secs Bench lying leg raise

Then we complete the session with a lightning round of the following:

1 x 30secs Cable triceps pull down
1 x 30secs TRX jump squat
1 x 30secs Slam ball
1 x 30secs Modified mountain climber
1 x 30secs Ski
1 x 30secs Barbell bicep curl
1 x 30secs Shoulder press
1 x 30secs Battle ropes + burpee

I'm curious to hear your advise or comments.

Are they different from your part of the world?

Just trying to learn.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 am

fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:21 am Hello seasoned strength trainers,

As usual, my wife and I went to our regular local gym yesterday. And under the instructor, we did the following:

4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Wall ball

1 x 30secs Slam ball
1 x 30secs Ski

Just trying to learn.
What is your primary goal in training ? If you are training for strength or muscular hypertrophy that does not sound like a good training program.

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 am

4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Wall ball

1 x 30secs Slam ball
1 x 30secs Ski

Just trying to learn.
What is your primary goal in training ? If you are training for strength or muscular hypertrophy that does not sound like a good training program.
Yes. We're training for strength n endurance.

How are you guys do it there?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:28 am

fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 am

4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Wall ball

1 x 30secs Slam ball
1 x 30secs Ski

Just trying to learn.
Yes. We're training for strength n endurance.

My training is mostly based on RTS emerging strategies (see here viewtopic.php?t=1994).

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:28 am

4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Wall ball

1 x 30secs Slam ball
1 x 30secs Ski

Just trying to learn.
Am I reading correctly that:

1. The first grouping of exercises is done in a circuit? In other words, one set of each exercise before starting over and beginning the second set of each exercise?

2. The sets are based on time rather than reps? For example, choose a weight for barbell overhead press and try to move it for 45 seconds, regardless of how many reps?

If so, and your goal is to be "in shape," while very gradually increasing your strength and endurance, I think that it's fine. If you were interested in seeking maximal strength or maximal muscle growth, then there are much more effective ways to do so. In that case, there are plenty of free online programs to which we can link you.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:30 pm

fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 amYes. We're training for strength n endurance.

With those timed sets, how often do you attempt to increase the load?

If you're happy with your approach as is, and it ain't broke, I wouldn't worry about fixing anything.

But otherwise, yeah, I'd change it up a bit. Maybe keep the timed sets in some sort of block rotation, and try to implement some days where you try something a little heavier than what you'd normally rep out in 45 seconds (and not time the set).

fit40strong

Post by fit40strong » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:53 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:30 pm
fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:14 amYes. We're training for strength n endurance.

With those timed sets, how often do you attempt to increase the load?

If you're happy with your approach as is, and it ain't broke, I wouldn't worry about fixing anything.

But otherwise, yeah, I'd change it up a bit. Maybe keep the timed sets in some sort of block rotation, and try to implement some days where you try something a little heavier than what you'd normally rep out in 45 seconds (and not time the set).
The instructor made it a time set that day, because of to the number of participants of the group.

Normally we would do 4x15reps each set.

And yea, I do increase the weight once or twice for a set, say 12kg -> 15kg -> 20kg for dB press.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:34 am

fit40strong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:53 pmThe instructor made it a time set that day, because of to the number of participants of the group.

Normally we would do 4x15reps each set.

And yea, I do increase the weight once or twice for a set, say 12kg -> 15kg -> 20kg for dB press.
Honestly, without knowing more about your goals, I’m not sure if any advice we could give you would be practical.

On the one hand, I’m all for movement simply for the sake of being active, but the structure of the workout is something to which I’d consider making adjustments if I had any control over it.
4 x 45secs Battle ropes
4 x 45secs Wall ball
I wouldn’t want to do any pressing after battle ropes and triceps extensions unless I was willing to lower the weight to a point where it might not even be worthwhile to press (if my aim is increasing my tolerance for pressing heavier weight, that is). Outside the context of warming up, I’d much prefer to do all the accessory stuff after the “heavier” compounds.

Some people might even allocate both pressing variations (barbell and dumbbell) to separate days, and just alternate between the two (ex: seated incline dumbbell presses on Tuesdays, standing overhead barbell presses on Fridays).

I don’t see any rear delt work, which I’d want to include, at least when considering the amount of pressing in the two workouts you posted. I’d also consider some sort of movements in the frontal and/or transverse planes, but that’s just me. Again, it’s kind of hard to give blanket advice without having a better idea of your goals. Might want to consider DCR's advice and check around online for some basic training templates. Even the most vanilla stuff can be useful for "beginners," and it doesn't have to be authored by Rictus Erectus or Rich Piana to be useful.

Since you work out with an instructor, one issue I can foresee is that they won’t take kindly to you following your own routine in the middle of class, or making changes to theirs, or even questioning why theirs is structured in its present fashion. Considering that you also work out with your wife, it sounds like there’s a bonding aspect to your current regimen that could be compromised if you decide to go off on your own and start training in a more individualized fashion.

If you guys are doing the exercise classes for the basic benefits of health (and for fun), then, sure, keep doing them. They certainly can't hurt. But assuming your current workouts don’t leave you two tired at the end, I’d suggest hanging out in the gym for fifteen or twenty minutes after class is over and start fucking around with some kind of linear progression on a chosen lift. Just to see what happens.