TV strength show w/ The Rock

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: TV strength show w/ The Rock

Post by Manveer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 am

I watched part of it. Pretty entertaining.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am

It was a fun watch.
The filler stuff isn't as annoying as other shows, but i skipped through most of that.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 am

Here's a pretty much worthless article on the show. Too bad the author just can't stop trying to make everything about Trump.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ds/579454/

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am

acelticmonk wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 am
Skander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 am
acelticmonk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 pm
Skander wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 am The Titan Games - Premieres Thursday, Jan 3 at 8/7c NBC

https://www.nbc.com/the-titan-games
So did anyone with one of those "TV" things watch it?
Yep, watching it now with my family. Wife, 12-year-old son, and 16-year-old daughter all enjoyed it. It's kinda your typical strongman+obstacle course with heartwarming stories show, but it's well done and Johnson's a charming dude, not a blowhard.
But are there nerf guns?!? These are the important questions.
Not in the premiere. Maybe they’re holding back for upcoming episodes.

Lots of fire for effects though.
They need to have an episode pitting Bud Jeffries against Jujimifu. Or on a team together.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Skander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am

They need to have an episode pitting Bud Jeffries against Jujimifu. Or on a team together.
Might Juji upstage The Rock? Does he even have a sad or heart warming backstory of overcoming adversity?

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

iamsmu wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 pm
Skander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am

Might Juji upstage The Rock? Does he even have a sad or heart warming backstory of overcoming adversity?
He has a heartwarming story of not being a stick figure anymore:

And he's so totally nuts, I'm not sure he needs heartwarming...

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:17 pm

Ok, started watching via the website. Just got through the golden schlong thing at the start. Much heartwarming (until some cancer survivor loses I guess). The challenges are fun. The Rock seems to just stand there in awe that it actually works.

The mythology seems a bit confused. Does the winner get their liver eaten perpetually by vultures?

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 pm

mettkeks wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Skander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:44 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 am
Skander wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:20 am I mean it looks cool and all, but there had better be nerf guns.

Also, as a millennial I don't know how to access actual live TV anymore.
Late stage baby boomer here.
I haven't had live TV since 2010, and before that i didn't have it for ten years.
Much of the 80's i lived in a yurt on a mountain or various other outdoor "situations"
If i ever decide to watch a little bit of a football game during the playoffs, i'll stream it.
I am shocked anytime i see a commercial.
I legit have no idea how to watch live TV. Especially since we have no TV. Though no life has been way less rustic.

Guess I'll just wait till it's on Netflix...

Commercials are so weird. YouTube has gotten obnoxious. The most annoying is when showing videos in class and subjecting students to commercials and breaking the rhythm of the class.
Youtube is absolutely unbearable without adblock. The TV channel should have a Stream/Media library on their site, no?
Just found it on Hulu

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Skander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

He has a heartwarming story of not being a stick figure anymore:

Looks like he gained about 50 pounds in muscle from 26 to 29 and lost fat. It's remarkable. The 26 to 27 jump was huge and he just kept getting bigger and bigger. Nuts.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Watched it the other day. Holy shit, the human interest backstory bullshit was so damn obnoxious and melodramatic. And the color commentators were super cheesy and annoying too. Reminds me of why I hate network reality game shows. I watched it on Hulu so after watching the first half straight through I gave up and just started skipping past the "inspirational" stuff.

The actual competitions were fun to watch though. I wish they comprised more that 20% of the runtime. I should probably just wait until the whole season is over and then spend a few hours watching just the events.

Also, I couldn't believe that
SpoilerShow
Of all the "inspirational backstories" that they had, the ONE that they skipped over and didn't show was for the guy who got his fucking leg blown off by a landmine and was competing with a prosthetic limb. They gave him the full-on World's Strongest Man "Here's a quick recap of what happened with all the losers that aren't even worth showing you" treatment. I guess they thought it would be too much of a bummer since he got beat in the first round...?! Meanwhile we get to sit through five minutes of Functional Fabio flipping hay bales (and hair) on his made-for-instagram "farm" and some other tool who unironically uttered the words "I'm a frickin' beast in the gym!"
On the other hand,
SpoilerShow
It was pretty sweet watching the powerlifter chick beat the crossfit chick.
And finally... when the hell did The Rock decide he wants people to start calling him "DJ"?

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 am

TimK wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm Also, I couldn't believe that
SpoilerShow
Of all the "inspirational backstories" that they had, the ONE that they skipped over and didn't show was for the guy who got his fucking leg blown off by a landmine and was competing with a prosthetic limb. They gave him the full-on World's Strongest Man "Here's a quick recap of what happened with all the losers that aren't even worth showing you" treatment. I guess they thought it would be too much of a bummer since he got beat in the first round...?! Meanwhile we get to sit through five minutes of Functional Fabio flipping hay bales (and hair) on his made-for-instagram "farm" and some other tool who unironically uttered the words "I'm a frickin' beast in the gym!"
Dude no kidding... that was jarring lol. Just skimmed right over it... although I will say I'm surprised they didn't play up Fuhrman's military status more. All well and good with me... he got a pretty decent treatment I thought.
TimK wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm On the other hand,
SpoilerShow
It was pretty sweet watching the powerlifter chick beat the crossfit chick.
Charity Witt... she was the other strongman competitor besides Fuhrman... I was glad to see her do well...
TimK wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm And finally... when the hell did The Rock decide he wants people to start calling him "DJ"?
I know... yuck...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 am

American Gladiators didn't have the backstory nonsense. I'll probably skip out on trying to catch any of this.

I think the drive to create a backstory for folks on TV has gotten out of hand, to the point where some of the stuff shown is stretching the truth.

Leah

Post by Leah » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:47 pm

KrustyKrab65 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:02 am
mgil wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:49 am
acelticmonk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm
mgil wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 am One of JordanFeigenbaum’s BBM peeps is going to be on this show.
Is that https://www.instagram.com/gmpolicastro/? She's on it (too).
I can’t remember her name. She is a blonde. I’m sure that helps little.
Jessica Griffith. The latest BBM podcast has her as a co-host. They didn't talk about the show, though. I believe she is the BBM team nutritionist.
yes, Jess is with BBM and one of 4 nutrition coaches here.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 am American Gladiators didn't have the backstory nonsense. I'll probably skip out on trying to catch any of this.

I think the drive to create a backstory for folks on TV has gotten out of hand, to the point where some of the stuff shown is stretching the truth.
It's like if the Olympic was allowed to select by back story rather than talent. Times 1000...

If I could flip through faster, the events look fun, but the imposed commercial breaks make it impractical.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm

(I mean American coverage of the Olympics. Those in other countries are probably used to actually getting to see people compete in a variety of athletic events. We mostly just get heartwarming montages)

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Skander wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm (I mean American coverage of the Olympics. Those in other countries are probably used to actually getting to see people compete in a variety of athletic events. We mostly just get heartwarming montages)
I read that the American audience for the Olympics skews heavily towards women who don't otherwise follow sports. Thus the human-interest emphasis.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:40 am
TimK wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm Also, I couldn't believe that
SpoilerShow
Dude no kidding... that was jarring lol. Just skimmed right over it... although I will say I'm surprised they didn't play up Fuhrman's military status more. All well and good with me... he got a pretty decent treatment I thought.
Isn't that guy a FMFM athlete? While blasting through their IG "stories" (OCD requires I clear those red circles) I thought I saw that they had someone competing in this?
cwd wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:59 pm
Skander wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm (I mean American coverage of the Olympics. Those in other countries are probably used to actually getting to see people compete in a variety of athletic events. We mostly just get heartwarming montages)
I read that the American audience for the Olympics skews heavily towards women who don't otherwise follow sports. Thus the human-interest emphasis.
TBF I care about as much about the human interest parts as I do about speed-walking. Or the 30th mogul run. Or watching people take turns doing snatches. Or to see two people take two steps toward each other, swing their sabers, and immediately turn around, take off their helmets, and scream.
Basically, until the medal rounds, show highlights or I don't care.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:40 am

Episode 2
Skipped ahead to the first event. It is a new one. Epic battle.

I'll keep watching these.
I wouldn't if i had to sit through ads and the filler though.

i'm guessing maybe 15 or 20 minutes of actual action.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:40 am Episode 2
Skipped ahead to the first event. It is a new one. Epic battle.

I'll keep watching these.
I wouldn't if i had to sit through ads and the filler though.

i'm guessing maybe 15 or 20 minutes of actual action.
The obligatory 8 commercials between each segment drive me crazy though. The events are cool though- that weighted climb from the trailer looks fun.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 am Isn't that guy a FMFM athlete? While blasting through their IG "stories" (OCD requires I clear those red circles) I thought I saw that they had someone competing in this?
Not Fuhrman, I had to look but you're thinking of Chris Ruden... the dude with the short arm/two fingers who uses a robot hand...