Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

bobmen10000

Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 am

I am looking for a replacement trap bar. I currently use an Edge Rickshaw (basically a high bar trap with open front and feet) and while I really like it, particularly how it is extremely easy to load an do carries with, the not having knurling bit and lack of lower handles is becoming an issue. Probably more of the former than the latter.

I previously owned a cheap Cap trap bar with super aggressive knurling, which was fine but I would like something a little less cheese grater like, and preferably something with a longer loading sleeve as well. Anyone have first hand experience with other brands?

Skid

Re: Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Post by Skid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am

I should be receiving my Sunny Health & Fitness OB-HEX bar from Walmart (not kidding) pretty soon. It looked pretty good to me and the price was right. I'll do a quick write up once I get it.

Another that looks good and is cheap is the Bells of Steel one with long rotating sleeves.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am

Skid wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am I should be receiving my Sunny Health & Fitness OB-HEX bar from Walmart (not kidding) pretty soon. It looked pretty good to me and the price was right. I'll do a quick write up once I get it.

Another that looks good and is cheap is the Bells of Steel one with long rotating sleeves.
Look forward to the write up = really curious about the knurling. And the Bells of Steel 2.0 Trap Bar looks promising as well.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 am

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

I read a few negative reviews/comments about beastmetals in terms of shipping times and responding to questions. Have you dealt with them before?

I forgot about black widow, I knew he was on a break a few months back and haven't visited the site since then.

Thanks for the tips.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am
I read a few negative reviews/comments about beastmetals in terms of shipping times and responding to questions. Have you dealt with them before?

I forgot about black widow, I knew he was on a break a few months back and haven't visited the site since then.

Thanks for the tips.
Cheers! I haven't dealt with them, but Thrall likes them.

Skid

Post by Skid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks for the tips.
Looks like standard collars will not work on either of those bars. Frankly, I wouldn't buy another bar with undersized sleeves that standard collars won't fit. The weights would be sloppy on them too.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm

I've been pondering trying one of these bars from Gopher. I want rackable with low handles. Not many reviews on them, though.

https://www.gopherperformance.com/search?q=Hex+bar

If Black Widow's bar had a higher capacity than 450 I'd probably get that, but that seems stupidly low.

michael
Young Padawan

Post by michael » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm I've been pondering trying one of these bars from Gopher. I want rackable with low handles. Not many reviews on them, though.

If Black Widow's bar had a higher capacity than 450 I'd probably get that, but that seems stupidly low.
It really does seem on the low side, although I have seen similar weight capacity from other makers - curious as to why that is. I would be surprised if it couldn't handle a good bit more but...having it explode mid-rep may be problematic.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:15 am
murphyreedus wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm I've been pondering trying one of these bars from Gopher. I want rackable with low handles. Not many reviews on them, though.

It really does seem on the low side, although I have seen similar weight capacity from other makers - curious as to why that is. I would be surprised if it couldn't handle a good bit more but...having it explode mid-rep may be problematic.
Or just get the one that isn't sold out and can hold 800 lbs...

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/bar-hexround.htm

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

FredM wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

It's still made out of pipe, doesn't have high handles, and requires special collars. Walmart has a good selection :lol: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hex%20bar

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 pm

It's still made out of pipe, doesn't have high handles, and requires special collars. Walmart has a good selection :lol: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hex%20bar
1. I don't buy cheap Chinese crap to save $100
2. I don't want to lift with oven mitts (this was literally proposed on these forums with the Cap's ridiculous knurl)
3. If I want a shorter ROM pull that's easy on the lower back I'll do rack pulls.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:59 pm

FredM wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm

2. I don't want to lift with oven mitts (this was literally proposed on these forums with the Cap's ridiculous knurl)
3. If I want a shorter ROM pull that's easy on the lower back I'll do rack pulls.
So you'd buy an American Bar that has several flaws? I've got 9 bars now including an IPF comp legal Bull bar with the highest tensile strength available in any bar, as well as 3 different Rogue bars. I also have calibrated weights cause that was important to me for competition, so I'm not a cheap bastard.

I have a Chinese SSB bar and the first Olympic bar I bought back 25+ years ago. Both still work well and the Chinese Oly bar has been abused with 500lb+ rack pulls and is still straight. The SSB bar is a joy to use as well.

I'm always looking for decent quality but will save money where I can if the quality is good for its intended purpose. But whatever, it's your money.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:59 pm
FredM wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm

So you'd buy an American Bar that has several flaws? I've got 9 bars now including an IPF comp legal Bull bar with the highest tensile strength available in any bar, as well as 3 different Rogue bars. I also have calibrated weights cause that was important to me for competition, so I'm not a cheap bastard.

I have a Chinese SSB bar and the first Olympic bar I bought back 25+ years ago. Both still work well and the Chinese Oly bar has been abused with 500lb+ rack pulls and is still straight. The SSB bar is a joy to use as well.

I'm always looking for decent quality but will save money where I can if the quality is good for its intended purpose. But whatever, it's your money.
Do you have a pic of the Chinese SSB?

And I appreciate all links and help from everyone. At this point, if/when i get a new trap bar it is between the mega cap, the black widow bar with 800lb capacity or one of the Rogue trap bars.

The Mega Cap seems like the best value, though I read several complaints about the handles not being even, mileage may vary I guess. I already have several pieces of Black Widow equipment and am overall satisfied; this includes special collars for another specialty bar that would fit but the plates sliding around is an issue. The Rogue Bars are the most expensive but I save a bit by picking them up, the cheaper version would be $50.00 or so within the Black Widow with free pickup in mind.

We will see.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 pm

I bought the Amstaff SSB from Fitness Avenue - https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/olympic-safety-squat-bar #Krustykrab bought one too and is quite happy with it. It has 2" bronze bushed rotating sleeves and is one of the very few bars with that. Most use cheap undersized pipe so you get sloppy weights and need special clamps.

It's the only SSB bar I've ever tried, but I am quite satisfied with it. I can do hands-free squats so the camber is right.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Skid wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:06 am I should be receiving my Sunny Health & Fitness OB-HEX bar from Walmart (not kidding) pretty soon. It looked pretty good to me and the price was right. I'll do a quick write up once I get it.
Well I picked up my Sunny hex bar today at Walmart. Walmart is copying Amazon by having products from other vendors on their website, except shipping is free if you pick it up from their stores. This is a good thing when considering shipping of heavy things like bars.

The bar:
Came well packaged in a plastic bag in a heavy cardboard box. There was a plywood box at each end of the bar to protect the bar from punching through the end of the cardboard box. The cardboard box was beat up. but the bar was unscathed.

According to the nameplate held in by circlips at the end of the sleeves, the bar is 51lbs, and is rated to handle 750lbs.

I measured the sleeves at 1.970 x 9 3/8 long. Standard collars work. With Standard weights you can fit 7 45's on each side.

The welds look substantial and good, everything looks to be "square" like it was welded in a jig so there is no distortion. It has a nickel type plating not chrome. It's a very nice looking bar.

The knurling on the upper and lower handles is a bit more aggressive than my Rogue bars, but not as aggressive as my comp bar. Just right for training deadlifts. The centerlines of the upper and lower handles are 4.5 inches apart

I'll start to incorporate it into my training over the next few weeks and see what it is like to use.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Skid wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 pm
Well I picked up my Sunny hex bar today at Walmart. Walmart is copying Amazon by having products from other vendors on their website, except shipping is free if you pick it up from their stores. This is a good thing when considering shipping of heavy things like bars.

The bar:
Came well packaged in a plastic bag in a heavy cardboard box. There was a plywood box at each end of the bar to protect the bar from punching through the end of the cardboard box. The cardboard box was beat up. but the bar was unscathed.

According to the nameplate held in by circlips at the end of the sleeves, the bar is 51lbs, and is rated to handle 750lbs.

I measured the sleeves at 1.970 x 9 3/8 long. Standard collars work. With Standard weights you can fit 7 45's on each side.

The welds look substantial and good, everything looks to be "square" like it was welded in a jig so there is no distortion. It has a nickel type plating not chrome. It's a very nice looking bar.

The knurling on the upper and lower handles is a bit more aggressive than my Rogue bars, but not as aggressive as my comp bar. Just right for training deadlifts. The centerlines of the upper and lower handles are 4.5 inches apart

I'll start to incorporate it into my training over the next few weeks and see what it is like to use.
Thanks for the update - look forward to an update (if you don't mind) about its use. I am likely going to wait until Black Friday to pickup a trap bar (or anything else.)

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:41 am

Bump. Anyone pick up a trap bar for BF?

Have some Amazon gift cards and keep looking at this open-back one, which looks like it's a pair of 2" ID shaft collars from also being rackable, otherwise looks about like CAP quality:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCFB6MN