Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

bobmen10000

Re: Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Skander wrote: ↑Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:09 pm
bobmen10000 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 am Can't help with the guitar but if you lived within 150 miles of me in lieu of 1500+ miles, I would go halvesies on the eleiko trap bar.
Would you pull it in half like a wishbone? πŸ€”
No. I would get holidays, summer and every other weekend.

BillyRao

Post by BillyRao » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 am

Thinking about getting a trap bar without breaking the bank, as I have never used one, and want to try one. Rackable is not a concern, but want upper and lower handles and the ability to go over $400 lbs with steel plates. From reading the thread, I am thinking Black Widow and Titan are the 2 I am considering. Any others that are similar, or your thoughts on the 2 mentioned would be appreciated. Thanks

KrustyKrab65

Post by KrustyKrab65 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm

BillyRao wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 am Thinking about getting a trap bar without breaking the bank, as I have never used one, and want to try one. Rackable is not a concern, but want upper and lower handles and the ability to go over $400 lbs with steel plates. From reading the thread, I am thinking Black Widow and Titan are the 2 I am considering. Any others that are similar, or your thoughts on the 2 mentioned would be appreciated. Thanks
The wife and I just had this one delivered a couple weeks ago: https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... 30048.html

We really like it! Solid bar; decent knurling; and long sleeves good for ~800#, I think. I don't know enough about fabrication to compare this bar to something made by Rogue or EliteFTS...but it's waaayyyy better than the CAP trap bar we have at my small work gym. It's our first time really incorporating trap DL's into our workouts. Definitely helps with adherence when you're not doing the same ol' 3-4 lifts (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ). I'll admit that when the SS flavoraid was coursing fully thru my system...I would've mocked even the notion of a trap bar. Now that I'm starting to experiment with it (hi-handle vs low-handle...myo sets...rest/pause sets...heavy shit) I realize that everything good @Hanley ever said about it is true. Whichever bar you choose, you won't be disappointed!

BTW--Packaging was really well done and arrived at our house in a few days. For only $230, it's a great deal!

--Bryan

PS--I don't know anything about the Black Widow trap bar.

BillyRao

Post by BillyRao » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for the response Bryan. Sounds like a winner. I will wait to see if either goes on sale this week and pick one up. Thanks again!

hollismb

Post by hollismb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 am

KrustyKrab65 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm
BillyRao wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:57 am Thinking about getting a trap bar without breaking the bank, as I have never used one, and want to try one. Rackable is not a concern, but want upper and lower handles and the ability to go over $400 lbs with steel plates. From reading the thread, I am thinking Black Widow and Titan are the 2 I am considering. Any others that are similar, or your thoughts on the 2 mentioned would be appreciated. Thanks
The wife and I just had this one delivered a couple weeks ago: https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... 30048.html

We really like it! Solid bar; decent knurling; and long sleeves good for ~800#, I think. I don't know enough about fabrication to compare this bar to something made by Rogue or EliteFTS...but it's waaayyyy better than the CAP trap bar we have at my small work gym. It's our first time really incorporating trap DL's into our workouts. Definitely helps with adherence when you're not doing the same ol' 3-4 lifts (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ). I'll admit that when the SS flavoraid was coursing fully thru my system...I would've mocked even the notion of a trap bar. Now that I'm starting to experiment with it (hi-handle vs low-handle...myo sets...rest/pause sets...heavy shit) I realize that everything good @Hanley ever said about it is true. Whichever bar you choose, you won't be disappointed!

BTW--Packaging was really well done and arrived at our house in a few days. For only $230, it's a great deal!

--Bryan

I've got my eye on this one too. Waiting to see if there's any Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals on it. Looks like a straight copy of the $375 Rogue version. Did you buy axle collars with it?

KrustyKrab65

Post by KrustyKrab65 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:55 pm

hollismb wrote: ↑Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:13 am
KrustyKrab65 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:20 pm

--Bryan

I've got my eye on this one too. Waiting to see if there's any Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals on it. Looks like a straight copy of the $375 Rogue version. Did you buy axle collars with it?
Actually, my regular squeeze clip collars I use on my B&R bar work just fine. But I didn't know they would fit when I ordered my trap bar. I had assumed I would need special collars, so I ordered these https://www.elitefts.com/proloc-collars-black.html
I actually like the prolocs better, as they keep the plates tighter throughout my deadlift sets.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 pm

New Contender....

Cook15

Post by Cook15 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:44 pm

For what its worth i have the Black widow rackable hex bar and LOVE it. I bought it along with there football bar maybe 6 years ago. I also use the titan type at the gym at my fire hall. Although the raised handle option is nice to have i would take my rackable version everyday of the week. I love everything about it. Its very nicely welded and powder coated, also the reachable option gives you the option to overhead press if you want. i don't usually press with it but you could. Also my wife really enjoys it. Defiantly my fav specialty bar

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:41 am

bobmen10000 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 pm New Contender....

One question.
Vulcan wrote: Exercises that can be performed with the Vulcan Open Hex - Ox Bar
Zercher Squats
Swiss Squats
Walking Lunges
Farmer Walk Carries
Safety bar squats
Hachensmidt squats
Bent Over rows
Yoke Carries
How does one do a safety bar squat with an open hex bar?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:39 am

damufunman wrote: ↑Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:41 am
I'm sure it's not done well. I'd be surprised to see it done at all.

That Titan hex looks like the economical category winner. I's sure like one. I wish the Cap version held the plates out a little wider. They hit the edge of the wood on my platform center. It's not good for it.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 am

iamsmu wrote: ↑Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:39 am

That Titan hex looks like the economical category winner. I's sure like one. I wish the Cap version held the plates out a little wider. They hit the edge of the wood on my platform center. It's not good for it.
I kinda want to get the open one, it seems a standard hex bar would be a PITA to load, and I'd just get one for my wife, who hates deadlifting. But not confident enough she'd like a hex bar and better to spend $400 on it...
You have 48" wide center? I ripped mine to 42" to avoid that from dropping off center, just found a tiny sliver missing today after 2 years of use. The platform I usually use at the gym is all fucked up, pretty sure mostly my doing. :(

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:59 pm

damufunman wrote: ↑Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 am

I kinda want to get the open one, it seems a standard hex bar would be a PITA to load, and I'd just get one for my wife, who hates deadlifting. But not confident enough she'd like a hex bar and better to spend $400 on it...
You have 48" wide center? I ripped mine to 42" to avoid that from dropping off center, just found a tiny sliver missing today after 2 years of use. The platform I usually use at the gym is all fucked up, pretty sure mostly my doing. :(
The Rickshaw from Edge Fitness or the Titan copy are both good, relatively cheap (Titan is really cheap right now) examples of an open standard hex bar with easy to load places. The downside is only one handle (high) and the lack of knurling - the latter can be fixed with skaters tape. The feet make it a little akward to drop but if you semi-control the descent, it is all good.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm

damufunman wrote: ↑Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 am
Hex aren't that hard to load. The high handles will bang up the platform though if they are facing down . . . Of course the Eleiko solves that problem completely. At $800, we can't afford it.

The only reason my center platform is 48, or 47.5", is because I'm using the Titan rubber tiles and their frame in the basement. So far there is just one little edge piece that is starting to splinter. . . .In the little garage space, I don't have any wood. It's just all stall mats. But the seasonal expansion and contraction opens up irritating gaps. . . .

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Anybody have thoughts on Archon's hex bar https://fitarchon.com/product/multi-grip-hex-trap-bar/ and that rotating-handle type of hex in general? Loading from floor is cool but sucks not to have multiple heights avaiable.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:55 pm

according to the reviews on youtube, that thing comes shipped disassembled and you have to bolt it together.

and upclose shots of it don't look too sturdy

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

mbasic wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:55 pm according to the reviews on youtube, that thing comes shipped disassembled and you have to bolt it together.

I've never used one of these, but the style worries me. If you get unlevel, the front of back is going to smash into the platform. Even if you stay level, all the weight will be distributed to 4 little rubber feet. Those are going to get messed up and the entire thing will either be crooked or just a metal frame smashing into the ground.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 am

iamsmu wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm
mbasic wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:55 pm according to the reviews on youtube, that thing comes shipped disassembled and you have to bolt it together.

I've never used one of these, but the style worries me. If you get unlevel, the front of back is going to smash into the platform. Even if you stay level, all the weight will be distributed to 4 little rubber feet. Those are going to get messed up and the entire thing will either be crooked or just a metal frame smashing into the ground.
Yeah, i thought of that stuff as well. Its like no one learned the lessons provided from the 12-sided globogym plates.

Landing on the bottom of a round plate isn't a bad idea, because, the very bottom of that circle will always hit the ground first.
It works every time.

Once those rubber feet start to deform (over time, or abuse, or just with more load), the plates are resting on the ground to a degree.
Point is, you are still going to have some drag, sliding, messing around putting plates on.

I bet if you have four or five plates on, and strip one side first, that thing is going to lean, tilt, and/or flex toward the other side just a inty bit, and when your strip the other side the first few plates are gonna drag.

Maybe this set up only helps you get going easier, mounting your first plate on each side, after that its really not much better that just a standard trap bar with one plate on each side.

Come to think of it, if I used a trap bar all the time, I would just leave 1 plate on each side when you were done with it .... that is, if I were the type of person SOOO inconvenienced by having to pick up one side at a time to mount the first plate. If you were and older, weak, female, youth .... you could just leave a 25# bumper on each side.

Also, with this design, now the four rubber feet are banging into the wood part of your platform....the part you really don't want divotted up.

Funny to, because generally everyone can pull a lot more weight with a high-handled trap bar, especially novices/noobs than a deadlift.
The loads on this bar will immediately start off high. (like to break, deform, or smash those rubber feet).

Its retarded.

iamsmu

Titan Trap Bar V2

Post by iamsmu » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm

I got a Titan Trap Bar V2 for my birthday! It's the best made Titan product I own. I can't see how the Rogue version would be worth even $10 more for quality.

The specs Tital lists are inaccurate. Just look at the Rogue specs. They describe the Titan bar more accurately. There's one difference. The high handles on the TItan are 7.5 off the ground, not 8.25. (This is important. I'll come back to that.)

***Titan says that the handles are 22" apart. That's very wrong. They are 25 or 24.5" apart on center, just like the Rogue.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... 30077.html

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-tb-2 ... gkQAvD_BwE

If the Rogue is really 1" to .75" taller than the Titan, it has a horrible design flaw. It will barely clear the ground. Toes will be smashed. The Titan leaves about 1" of space if you are using the low handles. The inverted high handles graze my toes. If you set the bar down far off center and have a wide stance, you could smash you foot and crack a 5th meta tarsal. The Rogue height would make this much more likely. It would also make it more likely to bump the handles on the ground if you get tilted. . . .

The box is HUGE!!!

I opened it up and found this:

OK. I found this:

This thing has the environmental impact of a small oil spill.

Lots of room to load more plates.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

An observation of some weirdness. I noticed that there is a hole in one of the four corner sections on the Titan. Flipping through the Rogue slideshow, I notice the same thing! What the hell? This hole serves no clear purpose. Did Titan just copy it blindly? Or is there some other commonality?

bobmen10000

Re: Titan Trap Bar V2

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:00 pm

iamsmu wrote: ↑Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm I got a Titan Trap Bar V2 for my birthday! It's the best made Titan product I own. I can't see how the Rogue version would be worth even $10 more for quality.

The specs Tital lists are inaccurate. Just look at the Rogue specs. They describe the Titan bar more accurately. There's one difference. The high handles on the TItan are 7.5 off the ground, not 8.25. (This is important. I'll come back to that.)

***Titan says that the handles are 22" apart. That's very wrong. They are 25 or 24.5" apart on center, just like the Rogue.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... 30077.html

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-tb-2 ... gkQAvD_BwE

If the Rogue is really 1" to .75" taller than the Titan, it has a horrible design flaw. It will barely clear the ground. Toes will be smashed. The Titan leaves about 1" of space if you are using the low handles. The inverted high handles graze my toes. If you set the bar down far off center and have a wide stance, you could smash you foot and crack a 5th meta tarsal. The Rogue height would make this much more likely. It would also make it more likely to bump the handles on the ground if you get tilted. . . .

The box is HUGE!!!

I opened it up and found this:

OK. I found this:

This thing has the environmental impact of a small oil spill.

Lots of room to load more plates.

It is a beautiful bar. I have used the Rogue one and didn't notice any problem with clearing my feet.

For the money (and if you are dead set against the wonders of a built-in jack) it looks to be the best value hex bar.