Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

MPat

Re: Best Trap Bar with Low Handles

Post by MPat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm

@iamsmu your review is making it real hard not to pull the trigger on that bar, especially with this killer sale it’s like 215 or something with free shipping! Does anyone know how long that sale will last so I know how long I can’t procrastinate?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm

MPat wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm @iamsmu your review is making it real hard not to pull the trigger on that bar, especially with this killer sale it’s like 215 or something with free shipping! Does anyone know how long that sale will last so I know how long I can’t procrastinate?
It's a very nice bar. A bargain for sure. The Titan trap and the v2 SSB are very high quality products.

It's huge though. It takes up some room. I have it resting on it's side, leaning against a wall.

The only gripe I have is that the tall handles don't leave much foot room when you are using the low handles. Having used it three times now, I'm fine with it. A version 3 should make the handles one inch shorter. (Rogue's specs say that their handles are even higher! That would be bad.)

The handles are a little thicker than the normal Cap hex bar with the short sleeves. The Titan handles are probably a little thinner than the Cap Mega Hex bar. The cap knurling is awful. I put racket tape over it. The Titan knurling is not bad. It's on the passive side, but not too bad.

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:19 pm

iamsmu wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm An observation of some weirdness. I noticed that there is a hole in one of the four corner sections on the Titan. Flipping through the Rogue slideshow, I notice the same thing! What the hell? This hole serves no clear purpose. Did Titan just copy it blindly? Or is there some other commonality?
I wonder if the hole is there to let the gases vent as the last joint is welded so it doesn’t blow out the weld.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:19 am

Anyone check out the Bells of Steel Trap bar w/ the kickstand?

MPat

Post by MPat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 am

iamsmu wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm
MPat wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm @iamsmu your review is making it real hard not to pull the trigger on that bar, especially with this killer sale it’s like 215 or something with free shipping! Does anyone know how long that sale will last so I know how long I can’t procrastinate?
It's a very nice bar. A bargain for sure. The Titan trap and the v2 SSB are very high quality products.

It's huge though. It takes up some room. I have it resting on it's side, leaning against a wall.

The only gripe I have is that the tall handles don't leave much foot room when you are using the low handles. Having used it three times now, I'm fine with it. A version 3 should make the handles one inch shorter. (Rogue's specs say that their handles are even higher! That would be bad.)

The handles are a little thicker than the normal Cap hex bar with the short sleeves. The Titan handles are probably a little thinner than the Cap Mega Hex bar. The cap knurling is awful. I put racket tape over it. The Titan knurling is not bad. It's on the passive side, but not too bad.

Thanks for all the useful info, I have noticed it’s freaking huge. I think I got a spot I can hang it vertically, but still looks like a bear to move around and such. I don’t see myself getting a different one though.

hollismb

Re: Titan Trap Bar V2

Post by hollismb » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 am

iamsmu wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm

The specs Tital lists are inaccurate. Just look at the Rogue specs. They describe the Titan bar more accurately. There's one difference. The high handles on the TItan are 7.5 off the ground, not 8.25. (This is important. I'll come back to that.)

***Titan says that the handles are 22" apart. That's very wrong. They are 25 or 24.5" apart on center, just like the Rogue.
They released the V2 bar just after Cyber Monday, and those are the new specs/images for it, so I'm guessing they made everything a little more narrow to make it rackable on J hooks for the redesign. I bought the same (original) bar as you for Black Friday for $210 (plus tax) and got it by Tuesday of the following week. I'm also impressed with its quality.

The only thing I've noticed about it is that the vertical/upright portion of the high handles are skewed a little bit when viewed from the front profile of the bar, so they look a little crooked when viewed from that angle. Ultimately though, the handles are all the same width apart (about 24.5 inches) along their whole length, and line up correctly with the lower handles, with everything square to the frame, so it doesn't really matter when it comes to actually using the bar.
MPat wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 am Thanks for all the useful info, I have noticed it’s freaking huge. I think I got a spot I can hang it vertically, but still looks like a bear to move around and such. I don’t see myself getting a different one though.
I think I'm going to buy Titan's vertical 9 bar holder next to keep this thing off the floor, along with 3 other bars that I'll be able to get out of the way. Theirs has plastic lining cups that the Rogue version doesn't, so better for protecting the bar sleeves.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 pm

hollismb wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 amI think I'm going to buy Titan's vertical 9 bar holder next to keep this thing off the floor, along with 3 other bars that I'll be able to get out of the way. Theirs has plastic lining cups that the Rogue version doesn't, so better for protecting the bar sleeves.
If you've got the wall space for it and don't mind losing one bar position, I like Rep's 8-bar gun rack, though it does cost a bit more: $89 plus shipping vs. $72. Or you can just go with the 3-bar version and keep one on top, which knocks off $30.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:56 pm

hollismb wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 am

The specs Tital lists are inaccurate. Just look at the Rogue specs. They describe the Titan bar more accurately. There's one difference. The high handles on the TItan are 7.5 off the ground, not 8.25. (This is important. I'll come back to that.)

***Titan says that the handles are 22" apart. That's very wrong. They are 25 or 24.5" apart on center, just like the Rogue.
They released the V2 bar just after Cyber Monday, and those are the new specs/images for it, so I'm guessing they made everything a little more narrow to make it rackable on J hooks for the redesign. I bought the same (original) bar as you for Black Friday for $210 (plus tax) and got it by Tuesday of the following week. I'm also impressed with its quality.
So the latest version has 22" handle spacing and we ordered the old one just in time?

What luck! 22" would make it nearly unusable for me. That's way too narrow.

The box for mine says "RKTPBR Rackable Trap Bar". Item number looks to be 430048. The new one is 430077.

hollismb

Post by hollismb » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:21 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:56 pm
hollismb wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 am

So the latest version has 22" handle spacing and we ordered the old one just in time?

What luck! 22" would make it nearly unusable for me. That's way too narrow.

The box for mine says "RKTPBR Rackable Trap Bar". Item number looks to be 430048. The new one is 430077.
Yup. My box is marked the same.

MPat

Post by MPat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Held off for now, I need to think about this some, I don’t like the new 22” spacing. I don’t think I neeeeed it to be rackable, but I do want long sleeves. Combining the two makes the think damn long.

Eyeing up this black widow currently. Really dig the look and the dimensions look really nice.

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/bar-hexround.htm

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 am

Good review of the Bells of Steel Open Trap Bar 3.0.

https://www.garage-gyms.com/bells-of-st ... 4Xe83Vc_CM

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 am Good review of the Bells of Steel Open Trap Bar 3.0.

Given that the sleeves seem to be standard, bushings and all, would it be possible to put new sleeves on from a beater bar? I also wonder about his shipping point...I wonder if a "some assembly required" approach where the sleeves ship unattached might not be terrible...

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am

Skander wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am
bobmen10000 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 am Good review of the Bells of Steel Open Trap Bar 3.0.

Given that the sleeves seem to be standard, bushings and all, would it be possible to put new sleeves on from a beater bar? I also wonder about his shipping point...I wonder if a "some assembly required" approach where the sleeves ship unattached might not be terrible...
I’m so triggered by the weak deadlift comments. My Vulcan rubber plates are 1.74”. That’s 5 plates with room for change and collars. If I’m doing hex bar for reps (because who maxes out hex bar??) my pull is probably 600+

Sleeves are plenty big enough even for strong dudes. Great find @bobmen10000 . Glad I didn’t buy the Vulcan. Now I know what I’m getting myself next Christmas.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:24 am

That looks like a updated shorty version of the Hulkfit open trap bar I had. 25mm frame was reaaaaally springy in the open frame design. Didn't like the 25mm handles either. Didn't care for it overall, didn't keep it long.

Skander wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am Given that the sleeves seem to be standard, bushings and all, would it be possible to put new sleeves on from a beater bar?
How do you attach longer sleeves to the short shaft?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 am

FredM wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am I’m so triggered by the weak deadlift comments. My Vulcan rubber plates are 1.74”. That’s 5 plates with room for change and collars. If I’m doing hex bar for reps (because who maxes out hex bar??) my pull is probably 600+

Sleeves are plenty big enough even for strong dudes. Great find bobmen10000 . Glad I didn’t buy the Vulcan. Now I know what I’m getting myself next Christmas.
As it says in the article, depends on your plates and how strong you are. Depending on how those two factors intersect it may or may not be an issue. Obviously if you have plates like these, it's very likely to be a problem:

Also, how is 5 plates enough if your pull is 600+ for reps?

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 am

TimK wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 am
FredM wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am I’m so triggered by the weak deadlift comments. My Vulcan rubber plates are 1.74”. That’s 5 plates with room for change and collars. If I’m doing hex bar for reps (because who maxes out hex bar??) my pull is probably 600+

Sleeves are plenty big enough even for strong dudes. Great find bobmen10000 . Glad I didn’t buy the Vulcan. Now I know what I’m getting myself next Christmas.
As it says in the article, depends on your plates and how strong you are. Depending on how those two factors intersect it may or may not be an issue. Obviously if you have plates like these, it's very likely to be a problem:

Also, how is 5 plates enough if your pull is 600+ for reps?
My point is that’s an extreme example. Who only has oversized bumpers? My cheap fitness gear iron plates are another example.

If you’re pulling 495-515 for reps on a hex bar your 1rm deadlift is probably safely over 600. Which is a big pull. I realize you pull 700 but like I said. I’m a little triggered with the implication 600 isn’t a big pull

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am

Not common around here but if you scroll through r/homegym or the garage gym Facebook group it’s surprising how many people have basic setups where all of their plates are hi-temp bumpers or similar.

I thought you were saying that you would pull 600 for reps with a trap bar which is why I was confused. Anyway I would agree that a 600lb deadlift is strong, but if I was getting a trap bar I would want to be able to load it up with well over my max straight bar pull especially if I was going to be using the high handles. I don’t really follow the logic of “who would want to max out on a trap bar?” I mean, who wouldn’t?

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm

TimK wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 amI don’t really follow the logic of “who would want to max out on a trap bar?” I mean, who wouldn’t?
Agreed. I've programmed trap bar deadlift as my main deadlift for months at a time before and then maxed at the end. Same with stuff like overhead press or front squat. Powerlifting is my main focus, but I like to strength train about anything and max out on it as long as it makes sense to do so. Honestly a front squat, overhead press, and trap bar deadlift powerlifting meet sounds like fun to me.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 am

FredM wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am

I’m so triggered by the weak deadlift comments. My Vulcan rubber plates are 1.74”. That’s 5 plates with room for change and collars. If I’m doing hex bar for reps (because who maxes out hex bar??) my pull is probably 600+

You want to talk about swimming 20 miles in from a sinking ship and then drowning only 50 feet from the shore.
- Deadlift jack feature - CHECK
- 50mm sleeve that collars work on (not a metal sch.80 pipe sleeve)- CHECK
- Rotating sleeves on a speciality bar....uhhhh ok, don't see the point but - CHECK
- 9.6" loadable length sleeve? - WTF over?

AND, that skinny frame with the opening just seems like it will bend in me ...

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:21 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 am
FredM wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am

You want to talk about swimming 20 miles in from a sinking ship and then drowning only 50 feet from the shore.
- Deadlift jack feature - CHECK
- 50mm sleeve that collars work on (not a metal sch.80 pipe sleeve)- CHECK
- Rotating sleeves on a speciality bar....uhhhh ok, don't see the point but - CHECK
- 9.6" loadable length sleeve? - WTF over?

AND, that skinny frame with the opening just seems like it will bend in me ...
As the review says, it's almost definitely a choice made to keep costs down significantly.

I guess I'm just the right market, lol. I don't like trap bar that much. I prefer deadlifting by a lot. But it's a lot of lower back fatigue and trap gives me free grip work in the 4+ rep range. My pull e1rm is about 455 and I don't see it getting higher than 600 in my lifetime. When I was doing trap pulls my working weight was about 355-385 -- so even if I add 100 lbs to my pull this will have me covered for my use case. And if by some weird miracle I add 200 lbs to my pull I could just buy a single 100 lb pair of these and still be covered by the 700 lb capacity: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-plates -- and still have saved money overall (especially adjusted for inflation).

And the description says it's warrantied (limited lifetime if you look at thei warranty page) for the 700 lb capacity. Are you seeing something else?