Body building programs/training?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Les
Kitten

Re: Body building programs/training?

Post by Les » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Bliss wrote:That's great to hear^
You shall crush it even more after your little uk break! As long as you don't go into "mini-cut" mode lol)))

Les, wait a second, so you saying KUA will get a proper write up again?? With appropriate pictures and stuff??
And work is a priority... over THAT???
I know. :-(

This will hold us over for now.

Melody

Post by Melody » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

My boyfriend (who has never done any bodybuilding) is seeing sweet results from "boring but big" and 531. It isn't fancy at all but its effective.
I have gained almost 20 lbs this year and jordan has me doing a lot of bodybuilding stuff and its working well.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Melody wrote:My boyfriend (who has never done any bodybuilding) is seeing sweet results from "boring but big" and 531. It isn't fancy at all but its effective.
I have gained almost 20 lbs this year and jordan has me doing a lot of bodybuilding stuff and its working well.
Awesome, those are some great results! I felt like a lot of the good programmers (Jordan, Mike T, Tom, etc.) for a while were more about hyper specific training. Specificity was king. But now I am seeing a lot more variants and bodybuilding assistance stuff which I think it is a good thing.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:17 am

Les wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:21 pm
Melody wrote:My boyfriend (who has never done any bodybuilding) is seeing sweet results from "boring but big" and 531. It isn't fancy at all but its effective.
Awesome, those are some great results! I felt like a lot of the good programmers (Jordan, Mike T, Tom, etc.) for a while were more about hyper specific training. Specificity was king. But now I am seeing a lot more variants and bodybuilding assistance stuff which I think it is a good thing.
Specificity was king until Father Time started kicking the shit out of them.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 am

unruhschuh wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 am
TimK wrote:
unruhschuh wrote:Andy Baker has an article on his old blog called The Body Builders Cure. He also sells his The KSC Method for Power Building, which he markets as "A complete blueprint for building mass, increasing strength, and enhancing your physique.".
I have Andy's powerbuilding program. I'm going to give it a try for a while after the Fall Classic at the end of October. Should be a nice change of pace if nothing else. Without giving it all away it's basically a 5 day split with one "big" lift each day on a three week 8-5-2 rep rotation, followed by higher rep "bodybuilding" style assistance work.
Again without giving it all away, is it set up as a cyclical program, or in a linear fashion?
I’ll wager that Andy is progressing 852 similar to 531, but without a deload.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:07 pm

I believe that the logic behind Baker's powerbuilding program is pretty sound from a hypertrophy point of view:

1) you need to keep strength at least, and still aim to increase it. 8/5/2 is what he uses for this, I would use some kind of DUP scheme with a top single @8 followed by 5, 7, 4, 8, 3 reps depending on the lift (main/variant) and the week, kinda like in The Bridge.

2) you need to add tons of weekly volume on the muscle groups. 100% reasonable - you need to increase weekly work via increasing sets and reps and frequency. Volume is the king, but your tendons, bones and ligaments can only take a certain bearing without compromising your progress (injury), so a lot of the volume will be from variations, assistance, accessory, ancillary, auxiliary, analogue exercises.

3) frequency is key - you have to hit the muscle groups as frequently as recovery allows. Baker uses a direct/indirect method which I find brilliant.

4) isolate your needs - increase isolation on lagging muscle groups to make them show up more.

I'd set up a 5 day/wk routine with 2 lower body (heavy/light squat and deadlift), 2 pressing (bench focus and press focus) and one "back" day (bodybuilding lats and upper back - rows, pulldowns, you can put and in here to). Isolation exercises would go in a way that you are hitting each muscle group at least 3x/wk when adding direct/indirect work (as someone else put it, you work triceps indirectly on the bench, to illustrate the point).

Supersetting, drop-setting, rest-pausing and a combination of these three are pretty much the Knipex Plier Wrenches and Electric Kettles for this type of programming.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Ed Coan has done a bunch of interviews where he talks about the value of bodybuilding exercises. Most of the time he trained similar to body builders, then he narrowed his training as competition approached.