Creatine question?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Sergio07

Creatine question?

Post by Sergio07 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi all, I was looking on getting Creatine monohydrate, however my parents are hesitant on accepting me on consuming it, my mom asked me if I started taking that my body would stop producing Creatine itself I didn't find anything that refute or agree with that, I wanted to know that and the uses of Creatine
Thanks.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Creatine question?

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 pm

This is an interesting question, @Sergio07

The American Academy of Pediatrics specifically recommends against its use by adolescents.
But in the same article -
"pediatricians warn that it's unclear whether the supplement might harm the growing muscles and bones of kids and teens. That hasn't been studied."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ng-through

I'd be interested if @JordanFeigenbaum and or @PatrickDB have any opinions or more information on this.

Seems like the pediatricians are basically saying teens are set up for growth already, and simply doing a resistance training program is plenty for them without resorting to supplements.

My inkling is that being cautious may not be a bad idea.
Only because you are in a unique phase of life where development is "incomplete", and you are primed for said development already.

Like maybe, at the very least, you simply just don't need it at this time in your life.

As i said, that's just my gut reaction to what seems to be the most prominent result of googling "Should teens take creatine"

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 pm This is an interesting question, @Sergio07

The American Academy of Pediatrics specifically recommends against its use by adolescents.
But in the same article -
"pediatricians warn that it's unclear whether the supplement might harm the growing muscles and bones of kids and teens. That hasn't been studied."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ng-through

I'd be interested if @JordanFeigenbaum and or @PatrickDB have any opinions or more information on this.

Seems like the pediatricians are basically saying teens are set up for growth already, and simply doing a resistance training program is plenty for them without resorting to supplements.

My inkling is that being cautious may not be a bad idea.
Only because you are in a unique phase of life where development is "incomplete", and you are primed for said development already.

Like maybe, at the very least, you simply just don't need it at this time in your life.

As i said, that's just my gut reaction to what seems to be the most prominent result of googling "Should teens take creatine"
Thanks @Wilhelm, I will check it out, it's just that in my other thread someone recommended me to take creatine, and I have the opportunity to order it online, however I'm not completely sure if I need it now, or if I can benefit from taking it. I will see some articles to make a decision.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:55 pm

I bet you most all the studies done, which are/were a crap ton, we're done on adults 18/21+ because reasons.

So data=O

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:01 pm

mbasic wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:55 pm I bet you most all the studies done, which are/were a crap ton, we're done on adults 18/21+ because reasons.

So data=O
I've found nothing that says that taking Creatine could lead to health problems, however I'm still not convinced if I should take it

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm

I was under the impression that the body didn't make it's own creatine and it had to be gotten from dietary sources. But a bit of googling suggests that's wrong - the body does make a small amount.

Sergio, if your parents are concerned about the supplementation then you could probably get a similar effect just by eating more red meat.

Also, it's worth mentioning that creatine has been shown in studies to have positive effects in other areas than muscle/strength - like it helps brain function, for example.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 pm

BenM wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm I was under the impression that the body didn't make it's own creatine and it had to be gotten from dietary sources. But a bit of googling suggests that's wrong - the body does make a small amount.

Sergio, if your parents are concerned about the supplementation then you could probably get a similar effect just by eating more red meat.

Also, it's worth mentioning that creatine has been shown in studies to have positive effects in other areas than muscle/strength - like it helps brain function, for example.
Thanks @BenM , I think that I'll give it a try, I just don't want that my body get used to the Creatine intake and stop/ reduce producing it's own creatine, like it happens with cholesterol.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:06 pm

I think the consensus of data agrees with @BenM, although I can see where @Wilhelm’s reference would err on the far side of caution.

Since you are a pretty light dude, I’d also recommend just adding another 8 ounces (0.25 kg) of red meat a day and you’ll get the compound effect of additional dietary creatine and bioavailabile protein.

Also, the body resumes making its own creatine in pretty short order, under a month, IIRC. I don’t take any creatine and do okay without.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Sergio07 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:02 pm
BenM wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:08 pm I was under the impression that the body didn't make it's own creatine and it had to be gotten from dietary sources. But a bit of googling suggests that's wrong - the body does make a small amount.

Thanks @BenM , I think that I'll give it a try, I just don't want that my body get used to the Creatine intake and stop/ reduce producing it's own creatine, like it happens with cholesterol.
I don't think creatine works like that. And even if it did, I don't think it's like, say, testosterone, where your body won't reverse the change without help.

It's one of the most well researched and safest supplements you can buy, as far as I'm aware. But it's always wise to proceed with caution especially when you're young and still growing naturally without help.

quark

Post by quark » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 am

BenM wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:31 pm It's one of the most well researched and safest supplements you can buy, as far as I'm aware. But it's always wise to proceed with caution especially when you're young and still growing naturally without help.
The point of the random stuff that turned up from my googling is that it's not well researched in teens, hence the caution.

Some more red meat seems the best solution.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09 am

quark wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 am
BenM wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:31 pm It's one of the most well researched and safest supplements you can buy, as far as I'm aware. But it's always wise to proceed with caution especially when you're young and still growing naturally without help.
The point of the random stuff that turned up from my googling is that it's not well researched in teens, hence the caution.

Well normally troughout the week I eat 5-6 times red meat, I complement that with some type of fish 3-4 times per week, and with chicken 2-3 times per week.
I'm not sure if it could lead to any side effect, and also don't want the body to get used to creatine so it alwasy needs it. But I think that I'll give it a shot, if I respond well perfect, if not I will stop immediately the consume

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 am

Sergio07 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09 am

Well normally troughout the week I eat 5-6 times red meat, I complement that with some type of fish 3-4 times per week, and with chicken 2-3 times per week.
I'm not sure if it could lead to any side effect, and also don't want the body to get used to creatine so it alwasy needs it. But I think that I'll give it a shot, if I respond well perfect, if not I will stop immediately the consume

We supplement creatine to achieve supraphysiological (higher than normal) levels in our bodies. Pretty sure this downregulates normal endogenous (produced by our own body) production WHILE supplementing.

So yes, if you supplement with dietary creatine using the typical dosage, your body will make less.

But if/when you stop, endogenous production catches right back up. So you don't need to "cycle" it to make sure your body doesn't forget how to make the stuff.

All that said, creatine supplementation is cheap and probably helpful and harmless, but it isn't going to make or break your gainz either. I always think, "if I'm doing EVERYTHING else right (programming, nutrition, sleep, life stress...), I may as well add this cheap, tasteless, probably helpful and harmless supplement to the shake I was going to drink anyway."

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am

what @broseph says seems quite reasonable. I took pause from the pediatrician association thing just because i've never thought about the teen specific question. They gave no reason except the lack of evidence/study.

I'd be surprised if it was dangerous for teens. As @mbasic mentioned, there are likely reasons there aren't studies with young teens. I'm not sure if those would be IRBs, or parental consent limiting cohort size , or other.
Teens have certainly been using it for a long time.

It seems like there would at least be a body of anecdotal evidence if there was a big problem with it.

At your body weight, probably 3 grams a day is plenty.
You don't need to do the "Loading phase". That just risks GI upset.

There is some study showing it helps with MPS.
I'm not good at critically evaluating studies, and @PatrickDB wasn't impressed when i showed him the paper i found.
But i'm like wth, if it does, that's just bonus.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... df/145.pdf

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am

broseph wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 am

We supplement creatine to achieve supraphysiological (higher than normal) levels in our bodies. Pretty sure this downregulates normal endogenous (produced by our own body) production WHILE supplementing.

So yes, if you supplement with dietary creatine using the typical dosage, your body will make less.

But if/when you stop, endogenous production catches right back up. So you don't need to "cycle" it to make sure your body doesn't forget how to make the stuff.

All that said, creatine supplementation is cheap and probably helpful and harmless, but it isn't going to make or break your gainz either. I always think, "if I'm doing EVERYTHING else right (programming, nutrition, sleep, life stress...), I may as well add this cheap, tasteless, probably helpful and harmless supplement to the shake I was going to drink anyway."
That's what I wanted to know, because my mom asked me that, If I stop taking it (creatine) my body would not produce it anymore normally, so I would need to continue supplementing it, and I didn't find anything in internet that answered that question, but if you what you say it's true, that it the slef production of creatine catches right up, I will buy it and give it a try for a few weeks.
Thanks @broseph
Wilhelm wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am what @broseph
At your body weight, probably 3 grams a day is plenty.
You don't need to do the "Loading phase". That just risks GI upset.

There is some study showing it helps with MPS.
I'm not good at critically evaluating studies, and @PatrickDB wasn't impressed when i showed him the paper i found.
But i'm like wth, if it does, that's just bonus.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... df/145.pdf
Nice that it helps with MPS, Creatine looks like a badass supplement it has so many benefits, I also read that it's not necessary the loading phase and cycling it every few weeks, that's bs just to sell more, I will do the recommended dosis, or maybe as you say 3 grams everyday.
Thanks @Wilhelm

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:31 am

I can't vouch for the truth of the MPS claims in actual people.
But as i said, it's a bonus if true.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am

I think I’m about to make @stevan happy...

If we take your estimates (the upper bound of them) at face value, you’re getting lean meat during a meal 13 times a week. You have 21 meals a week, and just under 2/3 of them have lean meat as a core item. I really do think your best gains will be made trying to eat lean meat (preferably red meat) with nearly every meal. The additional protein is more useful to you than the creatine.

stevan
theoretical lifter only

Post by stevan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 am

His mother is likely not going to prepare him meat for every meal. Somewhere he said he's busy so he probably can't do it by himself. So, MILK.

OP, I have to ask you something non-related. Your name is Sergio Garcia, you're skinny and you're wearing tights under you shorts. Are you involved with football by any chance? (soccer for muricans)

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:18 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am

I think I’m about to make @stevan happy...

If we take your estimates (the upper bound of them) at face value, you’re getting lean meat during a meal 13 times a week. You have 21 meals a week, and just under 2/3 of them have lean meat as a core item. I really do think your best gains will be made trying to eat lean meat (preferably red meat) with nearly every meal. The additional protein is more useful to you than the creatine.
The only meal of the day that doesn't contain a lean animal protein source it's breakfast, the others are greek yogurt, beef, chicken, fish, etc.
As @stevan said, my parents won't buy it, because I'm not the only one that eats in the house, so I won't force them to buy more read meat when I have other protein sources avalaible at home.
stevan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 am His mother is likely not going to prepare him meat for every meal. Somewhere he said he's busy so he probably can't do it by himself. So, MILK.

OP, I have to ask you something non-related. Your name is Sergio Garcia, you're skinny and you're wearing tights under you shorts. Are you involved with football by any chance? (soccer for muricans)
I don't know why your attitude it's like that, however I'm going to answer your question, no, I'm not involved in any type of sport.

stevan
theoretical lifter only

Post by stevan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Sergio07 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:18 pm I don't know why your attitude it's like that, however I'm going to answer your question, no, I'm not involved in any type of sport.
That was a compliment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Ga ... born_1983)

I was just making sure you're not leaving some context out.

Sergio07

Post by Sergio07 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:43 pm

stevan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:22 pm
Sergio07 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:18 pm I don't know why your attitude it's like that, however I'm going to answer your question, no, I'm not involved in any type of sport.
That was a compliment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Ga ... born_1983)

I was just making sure you're not leaving some context out.
lol didn't get it at first.