Who is on a cut?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

broseph
High Fiber

Re: Who is on a cut?

Post by broseph » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:39 pm

Tommy1507 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:32 pm I was also cutting after a holiday two months ago. From 91kg to 87kg. This is where i always tend to land. Propaply other strategies are needed for me to get leaner. But 87-88kg are relativley easy to hold with a little bit increased daily activity, just 3 meals and no snacks.
This is how i look then with anabolic ligth after an upper body day.
https://ibb.co/HGSv6tS
https://ibb.co/xH7nvz8

I think bodyfat is somewhere between 13-15%? So i think protein also does not need to be crazy high to prevent muscle loss.

Big problem for me is satiety. I am always amazed how long i have to wait after a meal till satiety kicks in and i feel full. I can eat big portions and don't feel full at all and after 30 minutes or so i start to feel full.
You’re looking awesome, bro.

One trick I use to fight the ultra-intense-immediately-post-prandial hunger is a diet soda or hot cup of broth. The hot broth is especially nice because you have to sip it slowly, and I find myself craving salt when cutting.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:44 pm

Tommy1507 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:32 pm I was also cutting after a holiday two months ago. From 91kg to 87kg. This is where i always tend to land. Propaply other strategies are needed for me to get leaner. But 87-88kg are relativley easy to hold with a little bit increased daily activity, just 3 meals and no snacks.
This is how i look then with anabolic ligth after an upper body day.
https://ibb.co/HGSv6tS
https://ibb.co/xH7nvz8

I think bodyfat is somewhere between 13-15%? So i think protein also does not need to be crazy high to prevent muscle loss.

Big problem for me is satiety. I am always amazed how long i have to wait after a meal till satiety kicks in and i feel full. I can eat big portions and don't feel full at all and after 30 minutes or so i start to feel full.
I would guess 13%, definitely below 15%. Only thing that would make me reconsider is if you somehow pose very well. Neutral pics would be more useful.

Source: my estimates are all grounded in reading various subreddits devoted to guessing people's bf%. I'm assuming the wisdom of crowds applies and just basing my estimate off of what I think the crowd would guess.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 pm

Edit: Big brain quoting
[/quote]

You’re looking awesome, bro.

One trick I use to fight the ultra-intense-immediately-post-prandial hunger is a diet soda or hot cup of broth. The hot broth is especially nice because you have to sip it slowly, and I find myself craving salt when cutting.
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah a broth is pretty good and satisfying. I also included more vegetable stews, sometimes ready out of a can, into my diet. For 150-200 calories per serving pretty filling.

[/quote]

I would guess 13%, definitely below 15%. Only thing that would make me reconsider is if you somehow pose very well. Neutral pics would be more useful.

Source: my estimates are all grounded in reading various subreddits devoted to guessing people's bf%. I'm assuming the wisdom of crowds applies and just basing my estimate off of what I think the crowd would guess.
[/quote]

I don't know if i pose well. But without light and a pump i don't know if i even lift. I always have the dream to cut to 10% and then bulk to 15%, but i think thats to difficult and it is more 13/14 - 18. But i think you always have to remember that really no on cares except oneself and healthwise pretty sure also not relevant.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:08 pm

I start to feel really miserable around 13%, even in a short cut. So yeah that's kind of my natural stopping point too.

I agree that you look great btw.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:02 pm

Tommy1507 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 pm I don't know if i pose well. But without light and a pump i don't know if i even lift. I always have the dream to cut to 10% and then bulk to 15%, but i think thats to difficult and it is more 13/14 - 18. But i think you always have to remember that really no on cares except oneself and healthwise pretty sure also not relevant.
I know what you mean about going from golden god to DYEL based on pump and lighting. Even when you watch podcasts from natural bodybuilders who are cold and wearing a T-shirt, they look unimpressive. At least that’s what I tell myself when I’m feeling unimpressive.

I’d love to see some really hard data on body fat % of dudes posting pictures on the internet. I think the group wisdom is probably consistent, but not necessarily accurate. Especially knowing how different people store fat. It would be cool to know your own numbers for the sake of tracking progress though.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:31 am

broseph wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Tommy1507 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:57 pm I don't know if i pose well. But without light and a pump i don't know if i even lift. I always have the dream to cut to 10% and then bulk to 15%, but i think thats to difficult and it is more 13/14 - 18. But i think you always have to remember that really no on cares except oneself and healthwise pretty sure also not relevant.
I know what you mean about going from golden god to DYEL based on pump and lighting. Even when you watch podcasts from natural bodybuilders who are cold and wearing a T-shirt, they look unimpressive. At least that’s what I tell myself when I’m feeling unimpressive.

I’d love to see some really hard data on body fat % of dudes posting pictures on the internet. I think the group wisdom is probably consistent, but not necessarily accurate. Especially knowing how different people store fat. It would be cool to know your own numbers for the sake of tracking progress though.

The funny thing about crowd wisdom about bf% is that unlike say crowd wisdom about how many jelly beans are in a big jar, this stuff is many many degrees from actual verification, even by methods that are not very reliable in the first place.

But at the same time as long as we're consistent it doesn't really matter how closely Internet 15% correlates with post-mortem dissection 15%. If we're consistent we're using a meaningful language even if the terms don't actually mean what they're supposed to mean.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:23 am

Well, this is what 196lbs looks like on me.
Halfway not fat.
The old man belly fat is at the back of the queue for disembarking.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 am

There's probably a fetish subreddit where you would be a big hit.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 am

dw wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 am There's probably a fetish subreddit where you would be a big hit.
Oldiefans

dw

Post by dw » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:43 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 am
dw wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 am There's probably a fetish subreddit where you would be a big hit.
Oldiefans
OverSexty

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:10 am

Under 195 pounds for the first time today.

Ate 2,250 yesterday, which was unexpected, but still just 11.5 calories per pound.
I'm feeling better about continuing to cut as i prep.
2k+ feels so much better than going ultra low, and i keep dropping weight.

DOTS are going up without getting stronger (in theory)
I do still plan on meet PRing all three lifts.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:36 am

One pack

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:30 am

Time to stop chasing DOTS and start eating maintenance calories.
212.5 X5 paused bench was a struggle today.
Had to drop 7.5lbs off for the last two sets.
I told myself I would cut till my lifts said stop.
I'm in the -90kg class now, and that may have to be good enough.

Going up to 13 calories per pound bodyweight for at least this week up to next Saturday's heavy bench session.

*Edit
Making it 12.5 calories per pound.
Maybe i can slowly trim some more weight and shore up the bench at the same time.
So 2,450 calories per day.
I'll see what this week brings doing that.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:52 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:36 am One pack

Very strong Heihachi Mishima vibes, @@Wilhelm.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:43 am

broseph wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:52 am

Thank you. : )
The lifting discord where i mod has me down as Iroh :D

Pretty sure Iroh benches more though.

Edit-
195lbs this morning, first time to that mark on this cut.
I'm revising my calorie increase and keeping it to under 2,400.
That's very close to maintenance, but still likely a very small deficit.
12.3 calories per pound of my lightest weight of the day.
Morning, after peeing and before drinking or eating.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:27 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:02 pm

I don't think that it's accurate nor consistent. My reasoning is that if a Dexa scan (or some other machine costing thousands of dollars) still has a standard error of at least 3% and sometimes more (which is a huge error ! if the reading says 15% you might be 12% or 18%) then a bunch of gym bros on the internet are very unlikely accurate. This article is good I think https://macrofactorapp.com/body-composition/

PS: I also agree with you that natural bodybuilders, when lean, look very unimpressive under normal conditions (i.e. not walking around in a mankini and/or not with a huge pump and/or not under neon lights).

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:29 pm

@Wilhelm that's a pretty jacked 60-year old.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:12 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:43 am

Edit-
Don't know who Iroh is, my one foray into trying Discord ended quickly and left me wondering why it exists, I have no idea who @broseph is referencing (Although Google could probably tell me), but I can say that you are getting it done man. That keg has ripples leaning towards being a poverty pack.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:51 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:12 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:43 am

Edit-
Don't know who Iroh is, my one foray into trying Discord ended quickly and left me wondering why it exists, I have no idea who @broseph is referencing (Although Google could probably tell me), but I can say that you are getting it done man. That keg has ripples leaning towards being a poverty pack.
yeah.
Discord is mostly a wasteland.
I've been on this one server over two years, it's 16+, no steroid talk allowed.
Pretty good group, and we moderate it constantly.
Plenty of actually strong, experienced lifters.

Actually dealing with a new kid right now this morning giving shit squat advice though.
The group self corrects for that though.

I don't even look at any other servers.

This is the pic they posted
He def benches more than me. :D

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:30 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:51 am
yeah.
Discord is mostly a wasteland.
I've been on this one server over two years, it's 16+, no steroid talk allowed.
Pretty good group, and we moderate it constantly.
Plenty of actually strong, experienced lifters.
I helped a kid in India avoid buying Amazon garbage home gym stuff.
Found two companies making actually quite nice11 guage racks.
Found a good flat bench with regulation dimensions, and a pretty nice OPB clone bar.
At first the search looked pretty hopeless.

Spent the better part of an afternoon and some follow up the next day, but he was so grateful to learn stuff, and to actually get good gear.
It's very gratifying sometimes.

Kind of a slog at other times telling skinny kids they aren't fat and don't need to cut, but it keeps me off the streets. :D
But also helping with first meet advice, etc...

There are several 30-40s age people, and some accomplished and serious young lifters too.