Coffee

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Coffee

Post by TimK » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:20 am

I view coffee as a caffeine delivery mechanism. I want it cheap, plentiful, fast, and easy and I don't really give a shit about the taste. It comes from a big metal can that costs less than $10 and I brew it in a cheap-ass coffee maker that I paid about $20 for and have never cleaned other than washing the pot and the little basket that holds the filter. The best part of the coffee maker is that it has a timer that I can set so it's ready when I get up in the morning, otherwise I would have got the $15 one. I make a whole pot at a time and drink it out of a stainless steel travel mug, with no sugar or cream. I will drink anywhere from half the pot to the whole thing throughout the morning. If I only drink about half of it I will reheat it and finish it the next day.

So that's my recommendation.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 am

TimK wrote:I view coffee as a caffeine delivery mechanism. I want it cheap, plentiful, fast, and easy and I don't really give a shit about the taste. It comes from a big metal can that costs less than $10 and I brew it in a cheap-ass coffee maker that I paid about $20 for and have never cleaned other than washing the pot and the little basket that holds the filter. The best part of the coffee maker is that it has a timer that I can set so it's ready when I get up in the morning, otherwise I would have got the $15 one. I make a whole pot at a time and drink it out of a stainless steel travel mug, with no sugar or cream. I will drink anywhere from half the pot to the whole thing throughout the morning. If I only drink about half of it I will reheat it and finish it the next day.

You know they have caffeine pills, right? Dirt cheap. 7 cents for 200mg.
Allentown wrote:
Manveer wrote:What are you using to measure temp?
Lasers. I'm not sure how laser thermometers interact with water, though.
Doesn't seem like a good way to measure water temp.

I know nobody cares, but the cold brew I made is pretty good.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 am

TimK wrote:I view coffee as a caffeine delivery mechanism. I want it cheap, plentiful, fast, and easy and I don't really give a shit about the taste. It comes from a big metal can that costs less than $10 and I brew it in a cheap-ass coffee maker that I paid about $20 for and have never cleaned other than washing the pot and the little basket that holds the filter. The best part of the coffee maker is that it has a timer that I can set so it's ready when I get up in the morning, otherwise I would have got the $15 one. I make a whole pot at a time and drink it out of a stainless steel travel mug, with no sugar or cream. I will drink anywhere from half the pot to the whole thing throughout the morning. If I only drink about half of it I will reheat it and finish it the next day.

Word. I only realized a month ago that there is a charcoal filter at the bottom of the water reservoir in the coffee pot. Haven't changed it in 6 years. I have many nerd bonafides, but coffee isn't one of them.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:36 am

Manveer wrote:You know they have caffeine pills, right? Dirt cheap. 7 cents for 200mg.
You trying to turn me into a junky?

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the taste of coffee and the warm sensation in my mouth and throat. It's not like I'm choking it down begrudgingly. I just don't care about the flavor enough to go to such great lengths to perfect it. I'm the same way with food, I like good food when I have it at a restaurant or whatever but I won't take the time to make it myself.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 am

I bought a 100ct bottle of caffeine pills in late 2015 because I thought it would be a good idea to take one on the morning of my first meet. I think I've consumed less than half.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 am

Manveer wrote: Doesn't seem like a good way to measure water temp.
I know, but I don't have a great way to do it. The probe thermometer I use for meat gets really wonky especially with hot water- I measured the 212 that way, confirmed with the laser, but about 2 minutes later I stuck it back in the kettle and it said 115, while the laser said 185. I turned the probe off and back on, after wiping it dry, and it said the room was 160.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

I used a thermapen. Not cheap, but it's amazing. One of the best kitchen purchases I've made.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

Once in a while when I'm really fading in the afternoon I'll grab a cup of black caffeine available at work. It very quickly reminds me why I go through so much work for my coffee.

Root
Grillmaster

Re:

Post by Root » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

SpinyNorman wrote:
I used a thermapen. Not cheap, but it's amazing. One of the best kitchen purchases I've made.
Preach. Love my thermapen.
Manveer wrote:I bought a 100ct bottle of caffeine pills in late 2015 because I thought it would be a good idea to take one on the morning of my first meet. I think I've consumed less than half.
I did the same thing for the same meet and still have every pill but the ones I didn't take that day. Caffeine pills suck. There's no hope with dope!

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:34 am

SpinyNorman wrote: Once in a while when I'm really fading in the afternoon I'll grab a cup of black caffeine available at work. It very quickly reminds me why I go through so much work for my coffee.
OMG this. Though the coffee I've been making at home hasn't been great, because I've been buying coffee <$10/12oz bag (still a pretty good brand, from up Root's way, just not as good as the local stuff I prefer [Which I just calculated and is more expensive than the fresh roasted stuff from the local place... FML]), but man, the coffee at work is terrible.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 am

I don't think I've ever had the coffee at my office. Certainly at other companies when it's offered. If I'm really struggling I'll have a Coke or maybe half a caffeine pill.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am

I have coffee at work every day.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 am

Murelli wrote:I have coffee at work every day.
Me too!
I work at home.
1 pot to two a day.
Fuck it!

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am

Coffee is a necessity at work. Black, always.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 am

Ha, I want that as a magnet for my desk at work.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:03 pm

this is my home setup
IMG_20170929_065935.jpg
beans are single origin from Columbia. A local cafe imports - I buy 1kg a month
grinder holds half a kilo, and vacuums itself air tight. the other half is in an air tight container in the pantry
I grind finer than the standard "espresso" setting on the grinder
I have a 7 second bloom in the portafilter. Water temp is set to 95 degrees celsius. pressure is 9.5 pascals, draw is 42 seconds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 am

simonrest wrote:this is my home setup
IMG_20170929_065935.jpg
beans are single origin from Columbia. A local cafe imports - I buy 1kg a month
grinder holds half a kilo, and vacuums itself air tight. the other half is in an air tight container in the pantry
I grind finer than the standard "espresso" setting on the grinder
I have a 7 second bloom in the portafilter. Water temp is set to 95 degrees celsius. pressure is 9.5 pascals, draw is 42 seconds
OMG you kunce (borrowing this term from the ausbb.com member titles - dunno why but I giggle insanely everytime I see it). I got that coffee machine (but pretty sure an earlier edition) and that grinder. Except in faux chrome on both accounts. I don't the fuck what a 7 second bloom in the portafilter is, but obviously I go there too because I will feel inadequate otherwise. My pressure is bigger though - at least 25 megapascals, and I draw for at least 3 hrs. I keep my beans free range, but cupped tightly in the hands of a 17 Nicaraguan lad with impeccable bean herding lineage. My cups are pre-heated by friction on the thighs of elderly CWA members. The cups themselves are forged from an amalgam presenting amazing coffee enhancing qualities produced from the melted statues of deposed dictators of coffee growing regions of the world; this is a happy coincidence for connoisseurs but a less happy one for coffee growers. I hand craft the beans myself from other lesser beans.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 am

Shane wrote: OMG you kunce (borrowing this term from the ausbb.com member titles - dunno why but I giggle insanely everytime I see it). I got that coffee machine (but pretty sure an earlier edition) and that grinder. Except in faux chrome on both accounts. I don't the fuck what a 7 second bloom in the portafilter is, but obviously I go there too because I will feel inadequate otherwise. My pressure is bigger though - at least 25 megapascals, and I draw for at least 3 hrs. I keep my beans free range, but cupped tightly in the hands of a 17 Nicaraguan lad with impeccable bean herding lineage. My cups are pre-heated by friction on the thighs of elderly CWA members. The cups themselves are forged from an amalgam presenting amazing coffee enhancing qualities produced from the melted statues of deposed dictators of coffee growing regions of the world; this is a happy coincidence for connoisseurs but a less happy one for coffee growers. I hand craft the beans myself from other lesser beans.
This post wins the thread.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:40 am

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 am