White Rice and Water Loss

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

OrderInChaos

White Rice and Water Loss

Post by OrderInChaos » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 am

TTL;DR - 1C cooked white rice is practically speaking equivalent to the 45g dry serving on the side of the bag.

TL;DR - Using white long-grain basmati rice, a 2:1 water/rice ratio, and fairly standard stovetop preparation (boil water; add rice, rolling boil ~1 min; simmer covered ~10min; remove from all heat covered ~10min), a 1C measuring cup of cooked rice roughly equates to ~113% of a standard "Nutritional Values" serving of 45g dry.

Exposition: I was hoping to test water loss values as I prepped dinner for my wife's shift last night. I also had a secondary aim of having a convenience measure for calorie and macro tracking, the 1C measuring cup. I plan to do this about 3 times total for each of white rice, brown rice, rolled oats, and steel cut. I'm also considering doing something similar for ground beef and turkey since I very regularly use them mixed for a lean-ish, palatable protein source.

If this is of interest, I'll continue posting here. I may consider repeating with different water to grain ratios to see how big a factor that actually is in post-cook measurement. I used one 3/4C plastic measuring cup for the initial water and rice measurements and a 1C metal cup for post-cook. I determined how much rice the 3/4C can hold in grams, then how much water as well. Cooking method, a lot of dumb sheets work and some redundant tables, and here we are: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I'm interested in post-cook->D+n->D+(n+1)->etc. water loss values as well at least out to 2-4 days, but that's going to be a good idea-fairy, backburner notion until I have each grain figured out.

Anyway, hope this is of use to some of you!

OiC