Books! The good Reads thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

jake241983

Re: Books! The good Reads thread

Post by jake241983 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:26 pm

I'm on the third book in The Black Company series. I almost quit halfway through the first book because I found the writing style really off putting at first. Very short and to the point sentences. Reminds me a little of The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm more used to it now and enjoying the story.

I went by year published at first and the book I'm reading now chronologically takes place between the first and second one I read. Started with The Black Company, then Shadows Linger, now I'm on Port of Shadows.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:15 pm

The Black Company is enjoyable. Not fantastic (I think it gets too much credit on Reddit), but it is enjoyable. It's still sitting on my shelf and might get a re-read someday when I want to tear through something fun.

Speaking of overly complex, instead of reading one of the 20 unread books on my bookshelf, I took Gardens of the Moon off the shelf yesterday. Let's hope I don't embark on a full re-read of all Malazan Book of the Fallen-related material.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Just finished the two released books of the Kharkanas Trilogy. They are set before the Malazan 10 book series. Good, not great. Some strong moments but about 25% of the books could easily be cut. I am eagerly awaiting the 3rd book though, so would reccomend if you like Malazan.

Wexler Infernal Battalion/Guns of Empire: Ok, but loses the Napoleonic war/small combat setting in favor of more magic and talk driven book. If you read any of the other Shadow Campaign books I would say finish the series out, but use library to do so.

Naomi Novak Deadly Education: Best new book I have read all year, easily. Scholomance legend has always been fascinating to me and this is an amazing take on it. Tragically, book 2 not announced yet.

Anthony Ryan Raven's Shadow and Draconis Memoriam Series: Both good, author's writing is rough to ok at first, moving to ok to good on the newer books. Draconis is more novel world, but Raven's has stronger characters.

Joe Abercrombie: latest 2 novels. If you like his writing, these are among the best. Hands down one of the best female protagonists in latest novel.

Jim Butcher: Peace Talks and Battle Grounds. I like the novels, and where Dresden is going, but part of me wishes he was spun off into and infinite stasis of procedural Dresden Novels taking place approx. between book 4 and 8.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:19 pm

House of Leaves

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:30 pm

New Stormlight Archives book comes out next week. Looking forward to it, even though I didn't like the whole 'it was us all along' twist in the last one.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm

SquatsALot wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:30 pm New Stormlight Archives book comes out next week. Looking forward to it, even though I didn't like the whole 'it was us all along' twist in the last one.
I love Sanderson's writing, but if I have one criticism it is that he writes so tight that his twists are often perfect tropes or anti-tropes. Based on listening sporadically to his writing podcast I believe this is very intentional, but sometimes I wouldn't mind a few pointless dead ends thrown in or a wishy-washy section that hides provides a little more mystery. Might not be putting this perfectly.

That said, hands down best living author, especially in SF/F.

Biggest problem is this one comes out on the 17th, 3 days behind last one iirc. 14th means I can grab the hardcover and take it into blind for opening day. Also, he is so steady and measured in his writing that I can complain it is 3 years and 3 days, not 3 years exactly.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:28 pm

5hout wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm
SquatsALot wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:30 pm New Stormlight Archives book comes out next week. Looking forward to it, even though I didn't like the whole 'it was us all along' twist in the last one.
I love Sanderson's writing, but if I have one criticism it is that he writes so tight that his twists are often perfect tropes or anti-tropes. Based on listening sporadically to his writing podcast I believe this is very intentional, but sometimes I wouldn't mind a few pointless dead ends thrown in or a wishy-washy section that hides provides a little more mystery. Might not be putting this perfectly.
I just finished the 2nd "Last King of Osten Ard" book by Tad WIlliams, and since the third book won't be out until next year at the earliest I picked up The Final Empire. This is my first experience with Sanderson outside of The Wheel of Time (and some of his world-building series on youtube), but he's been on my list for a while. 1/3 into it and liking it so far. Planning to knock out the first Mistborn trilogy before deciding what I'll read next.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:48 pm

I just wrapped up Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. Not bad. It's not Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, but it's much better than Otherland.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:15 am

I read the first 2 Shadowmarch books and never picked the series back up when the last two were released. I remember having a really hard time getting into the first book, but then couldn't put down the second one (not unlike Memory/Sorrow/Thorn), so maybe that's worth starting again. The Last King of Osten Ard (and transitional books) are good so far, but they haven't read quite like M/S/T either. Part of it might be due to showing much more of the Norn and Sithi perspective, which takes away from their otherworldliness/mystique. Otherland just didn't sound like something I could get into.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:01 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:15 am I read the first 2 Shadowmarch books and never picked the series back up when the last two were released. I remember having a really hard time getting into the first book, but then couldn't put down the second one (not unlike Memory/Sorrow/Thorn), so maybe that's worth starting again. The Last King of Osten Ard (and transitional books) are good so far, but they haven't read quite like M/S/T either. Part of it might be due to showing much more of the Norn and Sithi perspective, which takes away from their otherworldliness/mystique. Otherland just didn't sound like something I could get into.
The new Osten Ard books - the Empire of Grass was better than the first one. But, they definitely feel to me like they're 'tacked on' and not really necessary. I'm reading them anyway, just b/c that's the way I roll. Otherland, was not good.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 am

5hout wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm

That said, hands down best living author, especially in SF/F.

Biggest problem is this one comes out on the 17th, 3 days behind last one iirc. 14th means I can grab the hardcover and take it into blind for opening day. Also, he is so steady and measured in his writing that I can complain it is 3 years and 3 days, not 3 years exactly.
I was immediately engrossed in Way of Kings when I read that. Big scale, reminded me of ASOIAF without having 5000 viewpoints. I enjoy Sandersen's stuff. I wonder if he was slightly more ambitious, took another few months on these books, how great it could be. I know he doesn't write that way, but Oathbringer to me felt like it was hewing a bit too much to his initial blueprint and he should have allowed it to breathe a little bit.

I liked Mistborn too, at least the first 3. I enjoy his stuff, but I would like to see him attempt something like ASOIAF or Malazan. Stormlight is close, and he's clearly capable of it. His worldbuilding in Stormlight is there. He did a great job finishing WoT. I just feel like he sticks a little too much to his initial blueprint and could do something truly astonishing if he wanted.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:05 pm

@SquatsALot I 60% agree, but ultimately the structured writing is what makes Sanderson, Sanderson. I would love to see a Stormlight Archive length story with Sanderson and Rudy Rucker, Richard Morgan or Steven Erikson

EDIT: read Michael Sullivan's Age of Death today. Ok book for a 5th book in a 6 book series, made me want to buy book 6 right away. Series is good, but his first few published works are very weak, and make it hard to get into this (good) "prequel" (but meant to be read after sequel) series.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 pm

How did I not know the next Stormlight Archive book comes out tomorrow? I was just on Audible looking for my next book and saw it, clicked on it, saw the pre-order option, was disappointed thinking it was months away, then saw the release date was tomorrow, immediately pre-ordered the audiobook and the hardcover. I'm psyched.

Got 12 hours left on Swan Song by Robert McCammon, which is a great book by the way. Second or third time reading it. Will have it knocked out in time to download and start the new Sanderson book immediately upon release.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 am

jake241983 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 pm How did I not know the next Stormlight Archive book comes out tomorrow? I was just on Audible looking for my next book and saw it, clicked on it, saw the pre-order option, was disappointed thinking it was months away, then saw the release date was tomorrow, immediately pre-ordered the audiobook and the hardcover. I'm psyched.

Got 12 hours left on Swan Song by Robert McCammon, which is a great book by the way. Second or third time reading it. Will have it knocked out in time to download and start the new Sanderson book immediately upon release.
Read dawnshard first!
And I found a copy yesterday .. afraid to start it and upturn my week plans to actually be productive!

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Idlehands wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 amRead dawnshard first!
And I found a copy yesterday .. afraid to start it and upturn my week plans to actually be productive!
I want to, but can only find the kindle edition. How crucial to the new book is it? My company is shorthanded at the moment and I'm running 2500 miles a week right now. My life consists of work, gym, sleep, repeat. I can demolish audiobooks with all the drive time, but actually sitting down to read I'd be pretty limited time wise. I see it's only like 200 pages though, if it's vital to read I could try to squeeze it in somewhere and start a different audiobook for now.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:36 am

jake241983 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 pm
Idlehands wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 amRead dawnshard first!
I want to, but can only find the kindle edition. How crucial to the new book is it? My company is shorthanded at the moment and I'm running 2500 miles a week right now. My life consists of work, gym, sleep, repeat. I can demolish audiobooks with all the drive time, but actually sitting down to read I'd be pretty limited time wise. I see it's only like 200 pages though, if it's vital to read I could try to squeeze it in somewhere and start a different audiobook for now.
it's not critical but it's fantastic and on side characters so it was a great one to get back into it. I read at the gym between sets a lot.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am

Currently on the third book of The Three-Body Problem trilogy. Very good reads, even if they are really, really technical in places. I've had to use Google more than once while reading them. Worth picking them up if you are a fan of SciFi stuff.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:05 am

Brackish wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am Currently on the third book of The Three-Body Problem trilogy. Very good reads, even if they are really, really technical in places. I've had to use Google more than once while reading them. Worth picking them up if you are a fan of SciFi stuff.
Shoot, I just remembered this. Need to get the second and third books.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Idlehands wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:36 am It's not critical but it's fantastic and on side characters so it was a great one to get back into it. I read at the gym between sets a lot.
I bought the Dawnshard ebook for my phone. Just going to read some here and there when I can. I started the Rhythm of War audiobook last night because I couldn't help myself. It's 59 hours, so I think I can knock out Dawnshard before I'm halfway done with it. Got my hardcover delivered today too.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:13 am

Barnes and Noble had "Dragon Blood Collection" for free. I had never heard of it. Blade's Edge, Deathmaker and Blood Charged all by Lindsay Buroker. I would describe it as mass-market fantasy sort of in-between YA and Romance-Fantasy in a steampunk/lever action rifles/primitive planes setting. Skip the summaries at the beginning of each book, they are terrible and entirely unnecessary. I don't know that I would pay more than a dollar or two per book for it, but certainly a fun enough to read. Very soft magic, fast reading.

Finished Rhythm of War.
SpoilerShow
I greatly enjoyed it, and I loved the reveal about the Recreance. I had expect Maya to be key in that she would somehow fully recover and Adolin would get a spren, not that the spren were in on it. In hindsight it seems obvious, all those knights with deep relationships all deciding to shaft their pals at the same time, without the pals being in on it? I also read on Sanderson's website that the 10ish books are to 5 book subseries. Don't trust most authors to do handle this, but it (hopefully) will avoid the Winter's Heart issue from WoT. All the way through the 1st half I was loving it, but didn't see how there would be 6 more books without some major padding. Now it all makes sense.