You Better, You Better, You Bet.

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

lehman906

Re: You Better, You Better, You Bet.

Post by lehman906 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:07 pm

12/18
Sometimes I am just a dumb meathead. Last heavy workout before going for a max called for 3x1 with last week’s weight, so I should have done 3 singles with 220. 220 felt good, so I took 225, which also felt good. Decided to go for 230, which is the working max I’ve been using and a weight I haven’t hit in 2 years and haven’t exceeded in a lot longer. Missed it twice. Positives: didn’t hurt myself. Determined that 220 is pretty much an anytime weight for me now, and I think with good jumps and a deload, 235 will be there next Monday or Tue. My ceiling may not be a lot higher, but the floor has definitely been raised, and that’s a good thing. Overall not bad for someone who got no sleep Wed night with the windstorm. We were lucky in that our power didn’t go out. Shitty situation for some of my favorite people.

12/15
Log 14:00 EMOM was exhausting.
190x1x14

Strict log
175x1 for a possible PR? Don’t know if I’ve ever really gone for that before:

Push press and triceps

12/16
Played around with super light squat and bench

12/18
Log as described above. Made 220,225, missed 230

High Inc Bench
145x6, 150x6, 155x6

Upper back stuff. Meadows-style rear delt raises are the truth!

Light workout on Wed, then I’ll be able to pick my day to max because of break. Then it’s 2-3 weeks without OH work and back at it. Also, I’m going to stretch and do an work. No really. Stop laughing.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:04 pm

12/26
Can’t win’em all. I just missed the lift that I’ve been training for for the last 12 weeks. I’m really frustrated right now, but I’m going to try and put it behind me and focus on what I can learn from this to do better next time. This is what I always tell the girls when a race doesn’t go their way, so I need to practice what I preach.

In reality, there are SO many possible reasons for this miss:
1) legs not strong enough
2) shoulders not strong enough
3) upper back not strong enough to keep a solid rack
4) abs not strong enough to transfer energy effectively
5) didn’t commit to sinking low enough for the catch
6) bad bar path
7) self doubt *probably the biggest one*

It could be any combination of these or none of them. There’s no way to really know for sure and it doesn’t matter any way. All I can do is figure out the lessons it’s teaching me to the best of my ability and address them for next time. I’m going to take a few weeks away from the log to work on other things and clear my head, then get back at it.

Until then, I shall drown my sorrows in egg nog. Wishing you and yours a Happy Honda Days.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:33 pm

2/5
I’m back on my log press bullshit. It’s really been an up and down last week and a half emotionally, so I’m trying to be very focused on my work, and on my contests for this year. First one isn’t really a contest as much as a get together inside a brewery, but it’ll be max log, max 15” dead, and max stone, so here I go. Pretty much all of the regulars of the last ten years at mr gym have gradually disappeared because of COVID, so I’m very thankful that I get to train in my friend’s garage twice a week. Keeps me from getting isolation-weird, and he has a 12” log, which is so much easier than a 9”. Thatswhatsheprobablydidntsay.

Video gives some “highlights” of how it’s been going. Upper lower split, with a heavy jerk day and a strict press day on the log, and then for lower body, stiff legs, paused front squats, and experimenting with heavy dip and drive in the front squat rack. We’ll see if it pays off. For upper accessories I’m doing a “greatest hits” of things that have had noticeable carryover in the past: Inc DB bench, high rep flat DB bench with a hammer grip, heavy chins, and those john meadows style rear delts.

Two months into not being so neurotic and tracking everything on MyFitnessPal. Body weight is up a bit because of all the NOMS, but trying not to care as much about it. Easier when it’s sweatshirt season. I will be happy when the temp gets above a Dime, though.

[media] [/media]

1204ashleykerr

Post by 1204ashleykerr » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Only in the Midwest do you have to rock Ridiculous outfits like a tank top paired with gloves and a beanie hat to keep warm

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:37 pm

2/12
When I train in my basement, it’s been nice outside, and when I train in the garage it’s been 15, which is why my videos are either me half naked or me in three layers. No in between!

Solid, if unspectacular week of training. The weird little dip and drive hump I’ve been doing may need to be revisited. This week I did it with 335, and it was definitely farther away from my proper dip and drive technique, and strained something around my collarbone as well. Thought I could do it easily, but the barbell gave me the big “Sir? SIR.” I may keep it at 275 (still well over the log goal), and do more perfect reps.

Now that I’m getting comfortable with the 12” log, I found out they’ll be using a 9” at the contest, which is exactly what someone who is all long appendages like me doesn’t want. So, I’ll finish up this cycle with this log and do the next one with a skinnier one.

Cheer the Rams on tomorrow, and picture me absolutely losing my shit every time my boy Stafford throws a TD. He was stuck on the Lions for twelve years, send him all the good vibes across the Starlight tomorrow. He deserves it, and really, as a Lions fan, this is as close as I’m gonna get.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:58 am

2/22
So the last week has been interesting. The story of what I managed to do to myself is in my video because I didn’t feel like typing it all out again.

[media] [/media]

I made it through work yesterday and even managed to lecture a little bit. I brought in apology cookies for my first hour that had to see it and thank you pie for the staff members that took care of me. I kept myself from getting too worked up even though it’s WWI, which is one of my favorite subjects, and felt fine after. I’m cleared right now for walking and light cardio (joke’s on them, walking IS light cardio for me!), and I can start body weight training, then light weights, and gradually work back up as long as I don’t have a flare up of symptoms the next day. I want to start back with my training Sat after next, but that might be optimistic. We’ll see. I’ve been very fortunate in how this all worked out.

Side note: with no pain, no bruise, and the paramedic not being able to get me to bleed enough to check me out, both myself and a friend are half convinced that this traumatic event was necessary to kick start my mutant healing factor. Not sure if I’ll use my powers to fight crime or just punch guys like Ted Cruz and Ben Shapiro in the mouth. Still deliberating.

I’m off of school today because of severe icing, but still went out onto my slick driveway to salt it so my wife could get out. That was not at all nerve wracking. I’m following up with my primary doc today as well, so hoping my good luck continues. Cross your fingers, knock wood, throw salt, tug your ear, whatever keeps luck going my way.

I’ll post again on the weekend with an update. Not sure if there will be a video since it’ll just be bodyweight stuff and mobility junk. We’ll see.

PS: the lifts in the video were before the fall. I have several people that would kick me in the shins if I tried to train for real right now.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:59 am

Glad to hear you're doing better.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:10 am

That's a terrible way to do a deload man, I hope your recovery is fast.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:12 am

Holy moly. Scary stuff - I can’t imagine upsetting passing out in fronnif students could be.
Maybe get some yaktrax or microspikes. I’m a klutz so microspikes are a must for me in the ice.

1204ashleykerr

Post by 1204ashleykerr » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:18 pm

Hope you made it through todays ice storm safely or that this was the next step in your mutation into a super hero.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:54 am

Wow, that’s way more people reading this than I expected. Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. I’m feeling better each day, and even did some warm ups and an stuff yesterday. I followed with my primary and everything looks good, so I should be back to normal training sooner rather than later. Still going to work up to it instead of jumping back, though. I won’t be that stupid.

I’m napping and still sleeping well at night, and I’m kinda scared that it’s from not having any caffeine in the last 5 days. I’m kicking around only having it before my workouts, although that makes me a little sad since it’s one of my favorite addictions. Probably a good thing that I’m forced to drink less, though, if for no other reason than Cherry Vodka is expensive!

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:26 am

2/26

Starting to creep back towards normalcy. Haven’t had any setbacks or any symptoms, and have gradually done more lifting although nothing really strenuous still. Gradually on-ramp through this coming week and still looking at next Saturday to resume real training. Seven weeks to peak sounds pretty reasonable.

Last night was the big test as far as my concussion. My wife got Imagine Dragons tickets for the family because the girls all love them, so a loud arena concert with all the lights should be pretty telling. No adverse effects, and far better than I expected. I’m a metal head through and through, but they put on a great show. Tons of energy, very positive, and I was surprised at the quality of their musicianship as well. One song, “Wrecked,” was surprisingly moving about grief and loss and those we miss. Hell, even got some unexpected Lord Byron on their videos:

She walks in beauty, like the night;
Of cloudless climes, and starry skies

Now I’ll go spend another afternoon in a hot pool area about 30 min north of here for the final swim meet of the year. Proud of my girls but looking forward to the short offseason. My season is about to begin. This old man’s still got some go.

….but I still hate squats.

[media] [/media]

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 am

This is stupid, but those lying knee raises made me smile. I don't often see too many people doing them.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:30 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 am This is stupid, but those lying knee raises made me smile. I don't often see too many people doing them.
It was the Harry Potter socks, right?

I got it from kneesovertoesguy, like the “teardrop squats” at the end. I don’t think they’ll miraculously fix anything, but they’re a good ab and hip flexor exercise that I don’t hate, so I’ll actually do them.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:42 am

lehman906 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:30 am
Renascent wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:58 am This is stupid, but those lying knee raises made me smile. I don't often see too many people doing them.

I got it from kneesovertoesguy, like the “teardrop squats” at the end. I don’t think they’ll miraculously fix anything, but they’re a good ab and hip flexor exercise that I don’t hate, so I’ll actually do them.
Actually I didn't notice the socks, but I marked out when I saw the knee raises because I don't see too many people doing hip flexor work without specifically going out of my way to find videos of said movement(s).

I learned about them through a bodybuilder awhile back. They feel awesome afterwards.

I keep hearing stuff about kneesovertoes guy, and I think I need to check him out. @Hector's mentioned a few things he's picked up from that guy as well, which I should probably try or revisit (like step-ups).

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:26 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:42 am
lehman906 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:30 am

Actually I didn't notice the socks, but I marked out when I saw the knee raises because I don't see too many people doing hip flexor work without specifically going out of my way to find videos of said movement(s).

I learned about them through a bodybuilder awhile back. They feel awesome afterwards.

I keep hearing stuff about kneesovertoes guy, and I think I need to check him out. @Hector's mentioned a few things he's picked up from that guy as well, which I should probably try or revisit (like step-ups).
I agree with Austin’s assessment of him that there is definitely some clickbaity stuff, but his overall method of gradually increasing intensity in unfamiliar positions is a lot better than most of the other new and shiny guru’s out there. I like those teardrop squats because knee extension is so weak for me. And because my lower thigh is so small with big knobby knees that it makes my legs look even skinnier.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:56 am

3/6
Back at it, and had one of the best training sessions I’ve had in a long time. We’re wondering how much of that had to do with the layoff and rest I’ve had recently. I was still working out (even though I wasn’t supposed to), but not training, per se. To consider fatigue management, I’m going to try two hard full body training sessions per week in which I hit all of my big compound movements, and my other sessions will be light, pumpy, and nothing that I need to recover from. Yesterday’s hard session had a top single on the log, log cleans, back off sets, strict press, 15” pull, RDLs, and Bulgarian split squats. I didn’t do monster volume on each, but enough to do it all in two hours. Today I woke up and did whatever wasn’t sore or tired, so stretching, abs, dead hangs, push ups, and some arm stuff. I didn’t take any caffeine either, in another artificially instituted governor on my inherent craziness. Feel good. Let’s see how it feels after a full week.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:50 am

3/13

A bit of an up and down week, but training continues to go well, and Todd continues to be an effective governor on my stupider impulses. He counters my instinctive “everything’s going well so I should add ____” with the far more logical “everything’s going well so we aren’t changing anything.” It’s a hard pill for an obsessive I want All The Things all the time person like me, but so far so good. My neuroticism did score a point when I said his 60 lb log felt super light and he vehemently insisted that it was 60. I said it felt like it was 52 or something and it turned out to be 53.5. Yay for my crazy brain, I guess? Bummed that my easy 220 on the log was only 215ish, but it’s not like 220 or 225 wasn’t there. Kept to my plan on the off days of nothing too hard, nothing I really need to recover from. 10 min density block of push ups and fat bar chins and some ab stuff. Easy peazy.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:55 pm

3/18
Last training before our trip. Mixed news. The good news is that log is still feeling quite good. Went up to an easy 225 and did singles with 205. Strict press is still feeling good as well even if still wimpy at 130 for 8s. The increased log work takes a toll, though, as my 15” pull went nowhere. We might start to alternate, with pulls before log on every other session. The other bad news is that my knees are still hurting. I can’t keep trying to push through, so I need to get them feeling better to be able to actually use the strength they have before trying to push that up. When we get back it’s time to get the sled out. I’ll probably want to train after the long drive back if for no other reason than to get some non-family time. 😆

Since we leave tomorrow, I’m trying to sneak in my accessories in between prepping, “grease the groove” Pavel style. There’s a reference you didn’t expect today, huh? Okay, back at it.

[media] [/media]

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am

3/27

This may come as a shock, but going directly to training after. 7 hour car ride following 4 days of horseback riding and exploring Mammoth Cave may not be the best for performance. Still necessary though for my mental well being. Turns out the Timvitational is going to be a 17” wagon wheel pull, which is the worst height for lanky guys who are all appendages like me. And his log is 8”, which is weirdly small (that’s….probably not what she said). Should be interesting, but hey, that’s strongman, right?

Saturday was back to good training. Got a solid 230 log, which is the best I’ve done in a while. I swear after lifting it what I thought I said was “Bring me Thanos,” but what I hear in the video is “Breeze Thanos!” Hopefully that’s fatigue and not residual brain injury. After back offs and stricts, I did some high rep French presses with the log and they feel pretty good. Not totally localized on the triceps, but also getting some upper chest. My arms look weirdly long and skinny doing it though. Then played with the light stone, doing lots of picks and extensions. Just conditioning the body since I haven’t touched a stone since Sept.

Today I did 110 inc push ups in 10:00 with room to improve, some arm stuff, then did 175ish yards of sled work in push pull rounds. My VMO and knees are loving it. Kneesovertoesguy is pretty woo-y, but sled work is class, and I need a bigger VMO so my legs don’t look quite so scrawny. Then did some split squats and goblet squats with no pain, and finished up with some band leg raises.

Oh, and I demolished the girls’ playhouse, and I’m absolutely kicking myself for missing my one opportunity in this life to pick up a house and hulk smash it. Damn it.

[media] [/media]