Murph?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

iamsmu

Re: Murph?

Post by iamsmu » Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm

asdf wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:09 pm
iamsmu wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 pm I'm thinking trying the E03 5K
Yeah, that looks fun. Although I'd probably just do rounds of Cindy instead. I hate sit-ups.
I was thinking the same thing. He seems to have designed this for a group in a park with no or few pullup bars. Cindy style would be better.

But, wtf, you hate sit ups? I've been trying to get over the hump in the sit up heavy metcon you posted . . . I think I've got the sit ups now. They were the primary problem a couple months ago. . . . I'm going to try to get over the second set of 10 tomorrow. If I can do the push ups, I can finish the damn thing.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm

@iamsmu, now that your sit-ups have improved, do you notice any carryover in other things, or was it more of a skill acquisition thing? You already do some crazy core related stuff

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am

iamsmu wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm But, wtf, you hate sit ups?
I like them as an exercise, but if I don't wear the right shorts, I get *serious* chafing.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 am

asdf wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am
iamsmu wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm But, wtf, you hate sit ups?
I like them as an exercise, but if I don't wear the right shorts, I get *serious* chafing.
I bought an ab mat and the neoprene cover. It has a flap that you can sit on to hold the contraption in place. It seems to help with chaffing. Unfortunately it forces me to exhale when I go down. Kind of irritating. . . . But maybe you have especially evil shorts. I usually just workout in birddogs unless I'm running. They are pretty comfortable.
augeleven wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm iamsmu, now that your sit-ups have improved, do you notice any carryover in other things, or was it more of a skill acquisition thing? You already do some crazy core related stuff
I'm not sure. I feel more rigid. I haven't been squatting much, but last last week everything felt more stable. It's likely the lunges though . . .

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 am But maybe you have especially evil shorts. I usually just workout in birddogs unless I'm running. They are pretty comfortable. It's likely the lunges though . . .
I typically wear longish running shorts (just above knee) for all training. Works well for everything except sit-ups. I'd never heard of birddogs. Will check them out.
Last edited by asdf on Sun May 31, 2020 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

chills31

Post by chills31 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 pm

Once upon a time I used to be in decent shape to do simple exercises like what’s in Murph. I think this thread has inspired me to set completing one, regardless of the time, as a goal.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 pm

It took over 3 months, but I finally finished the pull up, 2x push up, 2x sit up workout. About time! I'll do it again soon. Thanks for this @asdf. I'll probably keep this one in a regular rotation. . . . It took a while to build up the ability to do 200 push ups and 200 situps. I've had the pull ups for a while. Sit ups came fast. Push ups were slow and still the limiting factor on my time.

I might start working on G I Jane. Gotta get my time down to something respectable. But the burpees are kind of rough on the legs. . . .

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm

@iamsmu Congrats on finishing the grind!

For inspiration, here's CrossFit OG Greg Amundson doing GI Jane in 10:17.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm

asdf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm @iamsmu Congrats on finishing the grind!

For inspiration, here's CrossFit OG Greg Amundson doing GI Jane in 10:17.
Oh, WTF is that. That's down right demoralizing. At least he almost died at the end and couldn't talk. . . . He was half way in the sun and wore a black shirt until rep 50. I guess that was only 4 minutes or so. . . . I wonder if those mixed grip pull ups would help.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu May 28, 2020 4:05 pm

iamsmu wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 pmthe burpees are kind of rough on the legs. . . .
If you're not already, try a wider stance and perhaps more distance between your hands and feet, like THIS. I honestly don't feel it much at all in my legs.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 pm

asdf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:05 pm
iamsmu wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 pmthe burpees are kind of rough on the legs. . . .
If you're not already, try a wider stance and perhaps more distance between your hands and feet, like THIS. I honestly don't feel it much at all in my legs.
I'm pretty much doing them exactly as she says not to. OK. Thanks for the tip. I'll modify my form.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm

@iamsmu More examples HERE.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm

asdf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm @iamsmu More examples HERE.
That looks like one of the most miserable workouts I've seen. Pure torture. I don't even want to think about trying that. . . . The inch worm burpee form varies here. Fraser lifts his front up all the way then pops the hips. Froning seems to pop the hips up much earlier. . . . I'll play around with it soon. Wide feet all around.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 pm

iamsmu wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm
asdf wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm @iamsmu More examples HERE.
That looks like one of the most miserable workouts I've seen. Pure torture. I don't even want to think about trying that. . . . The inch worm burpee form varies here. Fraser lifts his front up all the way then pops the hips. Froning seems to pop the hips up much earlier. . . . I'll play around with it soon. Wide feet all around.

I tried doing them with wider legs in that inch worm style that Fraser was doing. Didn't feel it at all in my legs. No where but my lungs. . . . I tried 25 unbroken just to see. I've never done more than 10 unbroken.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun May 31, 2020 5:50 am

iamsmu wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm That looks like one of the most miserable workouts I've seen.
Yeah, I did it with my wife when it came out in the Open. It was a slog that turned into a crawl for me.

Aside: I actually like burpees with a jump over barbells, but typically do them with a lateral jump, which addresses one of the deficiencies of CrossFit.

There's a workout called "Death by Burpees," which is just an increasing ladder of burpees, EMOM, to failure. I often do a series of those, back-to-back, like this:

1. GI Jane style
2. Box jump style
3. Lateral jump over barbell
4. Regular

If you go to the round of 10 on each series, that's 55 of each style and a 40-minute workout. If you really push and go to failure on each, you'll be closer to an hour. Recovery is built-in, since when you fail, you reset to 1 on the next series.
iamsmu wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:43 pm I tried doing them with wider legs in that inch worm style that Fraser was doing. Didn't feel it at all in my legs. No where but my lungs.
Yep. I often do GI Jane on my upper-body day without any interference the next day on my lower-body lifts or run. Enjoy!

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Relevant-ish to this thread:

Dude could get some mad SEO off of a clickbait-y, "MIT AI Researcher does GoGgInS cHaLlEnGe!?"

Seriously a ton of work even for a BJJ dude. My elbows hate the sound of that many pushups, pullups, and even the ab rollers.

That Cindy scheme seems super popular. Is CF responsible for it? Obviously the popularity, but are the weird/intelligent small cluster sets their invention, or stolen from Vern Gambetta/et al and rebranded?

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:17 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:12 pm That Cindy scheme seems super popular. Is CF responsible for it? Obviously the popularity, but are the weird/intelligent small cluster sets their invention, or stolen from Vern Gambetta/et al and rebranded?
As far as I know, the Cindy circuit and scheme were created by Glassman. (Actually, Chelsea came before Cindy and has the same scheme.) There's nothing similar in Gambetta's book "Athletic Development." Maybe in Jesse's book on conditioning for wrestling?

I'm also pretty confident that Glassman created the "weird" 21-15-9 scheme seen in Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:17 pm I'm also pretty confident that Glassman created the "weird" 21-15-9 scheme seen in Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran.
A confession: I thought Glassman's tweet was funny (though maybe not all that wise). The racism pandemic excuse for the protests was obviously hypocritical BS. (I'm not asking you to agree or disagree.)

I saw an article today were some box owners said that they were really upset that HQ didn't come out with a statement about the protest. . . . I can't tell if this is BS or what. Did they just not want to pay their minimal annual fee??? Is the brand in trouble? . . . .. Frankly it irritates me when companies like Reebok make statements like this. I don't look at them for guidance. And it just comes across as crass virtue signalling.

I'm curious how this will play out. Crossfit did a lot for Reebok, as far as I can tell. They were dying. (Glad I have 4 pair of nanos in the closet in case they stop making them.) And Rogue. I'm not sure anyone would know the brand if it weren't for Crossfit. Now, I guess they are big enough to walk away. That's unclear. They are clearly hedging to see what the public reaction might be. Today they posted on IG about their Invitational. But what's the invitation to? Hahaha . . .

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 pm

@iamsmu Glassman already indicated back in 2019 that CrossFit would not be renewing their agreement with Reebok. He had also already changed the structure of the regional qualifiers to where other organizations, like Rogue, would plan, host, and pay for the events, including a licensing fee to CrossFit. He's made it clear for some time that he's indifferent to the sport and the Games, and that he's tired of paying for them. So it's easy to imagine that Games-oriented athletes, affiliates, and companies were already planning to pivot, even before the latest incidents. Glassman was essentially encouraging such.

I'm not suggesting that the individuals, coaches, employees, affiliates, and companies severing ties are acting insincerely. To the contrary, I think a lot of people tolerated what they regarded as bad behavior from Glassman and HQ for a long time. But he finally crossed a line. Personally, I wish many of them had cut ties earlier. I did.

And now Glassman's retired (whatever that means) and Castro is the CEO (whatever that means). The Games have been Castro's baby from the start, so maybe the CrossFit ship is about to change course again. Who knows.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:10 pm

iamsmu wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 pm Rogue...posted on IG about their Invitational. But what's the invitation to?
Rogue Invitational happened this weekend. Athletes competed in their own gyms. Everything was synchronized and live-streamed. Went pretty well. My wife's a fan, so she watched it all. I only watched the events that interested me. Several good barbell sessions. Last Man Standing increasing-rep snatch EMOM. Max clean & jerk. 21-15-9 deadlifts and overhead squats. Tia Toomey clean & jerked 270#, which was impressive.