Worlds Strongest Man 2018

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Re: Worlds Strongest Man 2018

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 pm

TheGOAT wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:44 pm I have serious beef with the "Elephant Bar" Deadlift record. It's not a thing. They just made up an exercise. It's no surprise that people break it immediately after its inception. Benni Magnusson's 1015 was WAY more legit than that.
I think it is fair enough to have an Elephant Bar if they want one but...just don't compare it to a Deadlift on a normal bar without straps in a PL Meet.

TheGOAT

Post by TheGOAT » Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 pm

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 pm
TheGOAT wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:44 pm I have serious beef with the "Elephant Bar" Deadlift record. It's not a thing. They just made up an exercise. It's no surprise that people break it immediately after its inception. Benni Magnusson's 1015 was WAY more legit than that.
I think it is fair enough to have an Elephant Bar if they want one but...just don't compare it to a Deadlift on a normal bar without straps in a PL Meet.
Precisely. It's not a new Raw Deadlift Record. That implies comparison to the old records. It's its own thing, but not really surprising in the least.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

No one was talking about raw DL records in PL and no one cares about the elephant bar deadlift record, but since this is a strongman thread, and the elephant bar is pretty much comparable to a deadlift bar, and this was done without a suit, in one clean motion without a single hitch and a solid lockout by some super tall dude in his late 20's who made unbelievable progress in the last couple of years, with years to come makes it somewhat impressive. That this was the 4th event out of 5 and after carrying a 900lb frame also adds to it.

That guy just lifted 472 Kilos. OFC someone HAS to discredit that.

TheGOAT

Post by TheGOAT » Mon May 28, 2018 9:22 am

mettkeks wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am
No one was talking about raw DL records in PL and no one cares about the elephant bar deadlift record, but since this is a strongman thread, and the elephant bar is pretty much comparable to a deadlift bar, and this was done without a suit, in one clean motion without a single hitch and a solid lockout by some super tall dude in his late 20's who made unbelievable progress in the last couple of years, with years to come makes it somewhat impressive. That this was the 4th event out of 5 and after carrying a 900lb frame also adds to it.

I guess that's a fair analysis.

My beef is really with the phenomenon of people improperly labeling it. It's a strongman deadlift.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:53 am

mettkeks wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

Meh...the comparisons to PL Deadlifts started immediately and so that Cat was out of the Bag a long time ago.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:53 am

Meh...the comparisons to PL Deadlifts started immediately and so that Cat was out of the Bag a long time ago.
By whom? In this thread?
TheGOAT wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:22 am

I guess that's a fair analysis.

My beef is really with the phenomenon of people improperly labeling it. It's a strongman deadlift.
In a strongman thread.

No seriously, I get your point. I just don't follow those discussions elsewhere so I only follow whats going on in here.

OTOH, I can't quite follow you guys! Strongman thread. Comparing Björnssons DL to his DL the years prior. Wondering what he will do in the future.
Poster interrupts thread by posting that Bennis PL deadlift is "WAY more legit!" Implying that Thors Elephant Bar deadlift was illegit, because it is a strongman DL. I said that was ok but wasn't the point anyone in this thread was making anyways.

Now I don't understand what you guys are getting at. Records are always defined by the conditions and rules under which they are set. 3-lift meet. push-pull meet, with suit, suit and straps, no suit with straps, etc. Since there is no single set of rules universally agreed upon, we always need the qualifiers mentioned so everyone is on the same page. Most people have no idea anyways, context doesn't matter to them 500kg is 500kg. Since the lift in question IS actually somewhat compareable to the most universally agreed upon conditions (start height and diameter of the bar, conventional stance, belt, and straps(allowed in some feds), it seems rediculous to just instantly dismiss it because it doesn't meet someones preferred conditions, since it is a record set under clearly defined rules and conditions reproducible for every attempt. That's what makes it legit.

So that were all on the same page, These are the Strongman DL we are not supposed to compare to PL DL:

Three "Strongman DL" worldrecord lifts. Done with belt and straps, calibrated bar and plates. 465kg each.

And the elephant bar:

And the lift I have been comparing them to: 2015 in a suit.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

If they strike you as the same thing as a PL Deadlift...then there's not much I can really say to you.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 29, 2018 5:55 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm If they strike you as the same thing as a PL Deadlift...then there's not much I can really say to you.
Where has anyone compared the two? Is there something I'm missing in this thread or are you just bringing in outside conversations because it's getting confusing...

Nobody compares the elephant bar to anything but... the elephant bar. There's no other bar like it so how could they? It's basically an mega-deadlift bar. Yeah, strongman has straps, hitching, etc... I've never seen anyone compare it with PL. Hell... it's part of the reason I do strongman lol.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 am

I'm bringing in outside conversations - of course.

If you don't compare Strongman Deadlifts to Powerlifting, or lifts done on an elephant bar to a normal one then all well and good...but a large number of people in and around Strongman (ie. across the forums and competitions) actually do, so I struggle to agree with your viewpoint that "no one does it".

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 am I'm bringing in outside conversations - of course.

If you don't compare Strongman Deadlifts to Powerlifting, or lifts done on an elephant bar to a normal one then all well and good...but a large number of people in and around Strongman (ie. across the forums and competitions) actually do, so I struggle to agree with your viewpoint that "no one does it".
Jerry Pritchett, noted Arnold Strongman competitor and former elephant bar wr holder, did a pretty easy 900+lbs deadlift a couple years ago in what were non optimal circumstances due to travel issues at a USPA meet.

I think it is fair to say that any of the 1000+ elephant deadlift lifters could easily pull 900+ in a standard meet with a little practice. Most could likely pull close to 1000 lbs provided they trained for it specifically. Truth is, there is a more money (not necessarily a lot though) in strongman than powerlifting, thus why train for it. At any level I guess, but particularly at those massive loads, it is a different lift with straps versus without, grip strength is an obvious factor (although strongman generally have plenty of grip strength) but I guess the load on the forearms and even lats is slightly different based on reading a few interviews.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 am

Holy cow!

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:28 am

LexAnderson wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:25 am Well Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson finally captured the elusive Worlds Strongest Man title this year! He became the first person to with Europe's Strongest Man, The Arnold and the WSM competitions in one year.

Brian Shaw a 4x winner finished in 3rd place for the second year in a row. Could this be the end of Shaw's dominance? Could this be the beginning of Thor's reign at the top?
It could be. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he won it when GoT is on hiatus, though. All of that travel has got to be tough to train around.