Permanent Page/Stickied Thread - Glossary of Terms

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

bobmen10000

Permanent Page/Stickied Thread - Glossary of Terms

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am

Due to the sheer amount of acronyms and specialized terms used here, such as RPE, RBA, SRA, SSOC, BBM, BBL, conjugate ( most commonly used Westside verbiage versus the original definition), it would be nice to have a stickies page or thread (accessible/editable by mods and a few of the strength nerds) I understand that the origin of this forum was a largely a group of experienced and knowledgeable lifters, however, as it has grown no everyone is up to date on the various terms regarding both exercise/nutrition science and popular lifting organizations/methods/philosophies. It would be a tremendous boon for new - and less well versed - members to have a page that gave them basic definitions and perhaps directed them to more detailed information if they so desired.

Someone mentioned a glossary in starting strength, imagine if there was a glossary page on exodus that had a brief definition of a term, like RPE, and when necessary link(s) to appropriate pages or even threads within this forum further discussing the concept. One could just paste and search every unknown term on here in google but sometimes that leads to misinformation; it is difficult to parse what is bullshit and what is acceptable bullshit - hence having a few select curators updating the "glossary" when appropriate. Also, it would likely help with search engine optimization for the forum as people looking up RPE, SSOC, Rippetoe disavowing the former and becoming rich off the latter, could be lead to the page in question. Even commonly understand terms like linear progression (LP) can be difficult to immediately understand for a new liftter/budding strength nerd.

I understand that there are are dozens, perhaps hundreds of commonly used terms and acronyms in strength training, I would further suggest to start with the most commonly used (and potentially confusing) language used in powerlifting, weightlifting, exercise & nutrition science, popular programs and organizations. I would stay away from directly defining/referencing living people because of obvious potato related reasons.

Hanley, PatrickDB, Manveer or dozens of other members here would be solid examples of people to contribute to the page - and if split up, I imagine it wouldn't take much time to make a sizable and helpful page.

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Permanent Page/Stickied Thread - Glossary of Terms

Post by TimK » Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:38 am

TimK wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am viewtopic.php?t=277
I feel stupid for missing it - not sticked, right - or am I just missing an obvious page? Also, needs to be updated with more terms (not necessarily only acronyms) and perhaps outside links, like repeated bout effect or velocity based training - having multiple authors editing it would be nice. Still, you guys think of everything. I am properly chagrined.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:38 am

TimK wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am viewtopic.php?t=277
I feel stupid for missing it - not sticked, right - or am I just missing an obvious page? Also, needs to be updated with more terms (not necessarily only acronyms) and perhaps outside links, like repeated bout effect or velocity based training - having multiple authors editing it would be nice. Still, you guys think of everything. I am properly chagrined.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 am

Yeah, it's not stickied. I agree, that would be a good idea.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 am

It took me a bit to figure out how to do this, but I did it. :) Glossary is now a Sticky Thread in the Training & Programming subform.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

chromoly wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 am It took me a bit to figure out how to do this, but I did it. :) Glossary is now a Sticky Thread in the Training & Programming subform.
Thanks.