IRON & STONE: Adventures of an Amateur Strongman

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

mouse

Re: IRON & STONE: Adventures of an Amateur Strongman

Post by mouse » Sun May 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:35 am I wish that was an unusual injury, but you are in good company with that tear. Do you know if it's partial or total yet? Surgery? I can say the after it heals you should get some deep tissue massage on both arms. Sometimes you are developing or left with pockets of scar tissue from training or from that sort of injury. Or both. A guy I used to compete with in NC had a string of tears in both arms, it was all old scar tissue from years of training and mild strains apparently. Deep tissue work helps, myofascial release work if you can find someone local that does that. At least an annual deep tissue massage is normal in Strongman, a lot of guys are monthly.
I actually do know a guy out in Buffalo, maybe I'll have to set something up when this is all done. Still no details on it but hopefully I'll know more tomorrow...

Went downstairs today and got my belt squat all rigged up for training tomorrow afternoon hahaha

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon May 24, 2021 2:18 pm

5/24/2021

Belt Squat

180x10, 195x10, 205x10, 190x10

Incline DB Press
60x12x5

Overhead KB Walking Lunges
25x15x3

Training goes on, being a lefty is... weird.

Ortho called back right before I left work but all I got out of it was that they had to talk to the doc on call that day and that they would call me back either tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed I actually get looked at soon :|

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 25, 2021 2:34 pm

5/25/2021

SA DB Press
60x8x4

Good Morning
250x10x3

DB Hammer Curl
25x18x3

Band Pressdown
30x3

Band Lat Raise
20x2

Training just the left side with a pump is some weird Jekyll and Hyde shit lol

Ortho appt Thurs at 8am

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu May 27, 2021 3:32 pm

5/27/2021

Tow Strap Deadlift
405x8x3

SSB Box Squat
330x6, 360x6, 280x3x4 EMOM

Leg Curls
20x2

Low Band Row
15x2

Holy these tow strap deads suck ass lol. Trying to figure out the right ROM. If I set them where my hands would normally be its like a block pull, set them near the sleeves and it feels almost like a snatch pull. Bar banging the shit out of my legs and I have to keep tension in my low back on the way down which gets exhausting. @TimK damn man, hats off to you for going 495+ on those lol

Currently weighing if I just do RDLs or something until I can use my hands again...

Was aiming for ~380 on the box squats but hit RPE a little early... prolly because of my low back...

Might try and fuck with Nordics but for now just tossed in some quick curls and some rows

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu May 27, 2021 5:36 pm

mouse wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:32 pm Holy these tow strap deads suck ass lol. Trying to figure out the right ROM. If I set them where my hands would normally be its like a block pull, set them near the sleeves and it feels almost like a snatch pull. Bar banging the shit out of my legs and I have to keep tension in my low back on the way down which gets exhausting. @TimK damn man, hats off to you for going 495+ on those lol
Ah, back when I was strong. Probably couldn't do that for a single nowadays. I remember that the straps dug in to my neck which is why I ended up wearing a hoodie and if I remember correctly eventually I started putting a folded up towel around my traps as well. But honestly aside from that awkwardness they felt very similar to my regular deadlifts. I got the strap position to where the pull started more or less at an equivalent position to if I was using my arms, and the bar just came straight up. I don't remember having issues with banging into my legs or anything. Might just be how I'm built or something, I've always wondered what's up with people who end up with bloody shins from deadlifting because the bar really never touches my legs at all until the lockout.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 am

I'm smashing up my knees and stuff on the way down... I'm used to just kind of riding the bar down with no real tension, but that seems like a bad idea with the straps so I'm controlling the reps down and it throws everything off...

And yeah it feels nothing like my normal deadlift right now lol

I'll mess with them a bit but I'm thinking a few weeks of lighter high rep RDLs won't be a terrible thing...

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri May 28, 2021 11:39 am

5/28/2021

BW: 219 lbs
For as shitty as my diet has been its amazing this number isn't higher lol

Incline DB Press (45 Deg)
55x8, 65x8, 70x8

DB Power Jerk
70x6, 75x6, 80x6, 65x3x5 EMOM
I should be able to load these heavier very soon, and I might make an honest to God attempt to get good at split jerking them...

DB Tricep Ext
20x15x2
Was feeling these way too much in the shoulder even with very light weight so I just scrapped it and moved on

DB Curl
35x12x3

Band Rear Delts Fly
20x3

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon May 31, 2021 10:01 am

5/31/2021

SSB Squat
330x8, 350x8, 360x8

Tow Strap RDL
315x6, 345x6, 365x6, 275x3x4 EMOM

RFE Split Squat
200x12x2

Sled Sprints 60'
165x6 EMOM

What the hell engage baby giraffe on those split squats lol. Regular squats went well enough but the SSB is putting pressure in the injured side that gives me some tingliness (for lack of a better term). Being careful not to flex but keep my back engaged, which is a strange and fine line to walk lol

Plan for now is to stick to Alan's template, but adapted to single arm work and with no heavy deadlifts for now. Gonna use RDLs on D1 and Goodmornings alongside the squat work...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm

6/1/2021

Axle DB Press
55x8, 65x8, 75x8

DB Power Snatch
65x6, 75x6, 80x6, 65x3x4 EMOM

DB Flat Bench
65x15x2

Band Low Row
2x15
Wasn't my actual selection but I forgot I was supposed to superset a row and scrambled to just do something quick

Hammer Curl
35x10x3

ParallelHigh Cable Curl w/ Band
15x2
(I don't know what these are actually called)

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm

6/3/2021

SSB Box Squat
330x6, 360x6, 370x6, 290x3x4 EMOM

Good Morning
240x8, 260x8, 280x8

Hip Thrusts
225x15x2

Reverse Sled Drag 60ft
235x6 EMOM

Thats right... hip thrusts are back for now hahaha...

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 am

6/4/2021

45 Deg Incline Press
70x8x3

Power Jerk (2 jerks/1 split)
65x3x8 EMOM

Chest Fly w/Band
3x15
just adding in a little extra chest stuff, was gonna do them with a DB but the whole thing felt awkward with one arm so I just opted for a heavier band standing up
Scott Curl
35x12x3

Band Pressdown
3x30

Plate Curl
20x12x2
just fucking around with grip stuff, Sandwiched the 10s to see how shitty these were lol

MRI is done, next Monday is the meeting with the ortho/surgeon. Posted a thread in BBM and got some info from Derek Miles that (on top of other discussions) is tipping me toward not doing surgery. If the ortho says we might be able to repair it down the line if their are complications (cramping, pain, etc) that would seal the deal but we will see...

Most people I've talked to seem to be saying the benefits of surgery aren't really worth the extended recovery time and I'd much rather be back in the game sooner than have beautiful symmetrical arms lol

https://forum.barbellmedicine.com/forum ... pectations

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm

6/7/2021

SSB Squat
340x8x3

Tow Strap RDL
315x3x8 EMOM

RFE Split Squat
150x15x2

Sled Sprint 60'
275x8 EMOM

Temp was in the 90's, afternoon was unusually stressful, heart just wasn't in it like it usually is. Doing the RDLs in a hoodie absolutely GASSED me, I actually started the splits at 175 to compensate and hit 15 with the right, but barely cracked 6 with the left before the tank ran dry.

Sled was actually supposed to be 10 sprints but I misjudged my timer and by the time I realized the mistake I just didn't give a shit lol...

gymdad150

Post by gymdad150 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57 pm

It was f'n hot and humid today, and there are no fans or AC in the gym.

It definitely took something out of the top end work.

Too hot and humid too quickly to adapt on short notice.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:23 am

gymdad150 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57 pm It was f'n hot and humid today, and there are no fans or AC in the gym.

It definitely took something out of the top end work.

Too hot and humid too quickly to adapt on short notice.
Dude no kidding... a week or two ago it was so cold we had to get a fire going to warm up the house and now yesterday I had to take a dunk in the pool while the grill was heating up because I couldn't stop pouring sweat...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:29 am

MRI results got posted, I'm too dumb to know what a lot of it actually means, but in doctor speak it sounds like I'm barely clinging to life...
MRI Impression wrote:The majority the supraspinatus tendon fibers are torn and retracted to the distal acromion. There is calcific deposits in the tendon stump at the greater tuberosity. Moderate infraspinatus tendinopathy with undersurface partial-thickness tear distally.

Mild calcific tendinopathy of the subscapularis. High riding humeral head.

The long head biceps tendon is torn and retracted distally into the bicipital groove. The labrum is torn along its superior and anterior portions.
Moderate glenohumeral joint effusion that communicates with fluid in the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa and subscapularis recess.
Found this little note interesting too...
MRI Impression wrote:Acromioclavicular Joint: Moderate hypertrophic arthropathy. Downsloping distal lateral acromion with decreased subacromial space.
Downsloping? Dunno whatevs...

Looking forward to finding out just what all of this means with the surgeon next Monday...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 am

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5467673/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromion
Anything state which kind of acromion you have?
Calcific deposits is the issue I would think. It's like Gout but from calcium deposits instead of uric acid chrystals. Think of it as arthritis planting little defects in the tendon and soft tissue. It's probably in the other shoulder too. Not a lot of good options for that problem, it usually comes down to being told to rest it but that doesn't accomplish much. Massage work can help, I would definitely find a Sports Ortho to talk to about it. I would add, I would be taking a good look at my surgical options with that much damage. I'm not telling anyone what to do or anything, just saying it might pay to ask a lot of questions before deciding. I imagine they are going to push hard, especially given the supraspinatus destruction.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:57 am

Sounds like your humerus got yanked out of the socket! I know you said you did this flipping a tire, but I'm wondering if you could describe exactly what happened during the lift. Did one hand slip off thereby fully loading your other arm? Just curious.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 am https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5467673/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromion
Anything state which kind of acromion you have?
Calcific deposits is the issue I would think. It's like Gout but from calcium deposits instead of uric acid chrystals. Think of it as arthritis planting little defects in the tendon and soft tissue. It's probably in the other shoulder too. Not a lot of good options for that problem, it usually comes down to being told to rest it but that doesn't accomplish much. Massage work can help, I would definitely find a Sports Ortho to talk to about it. I would add, I would be taking a good look at my surgical options with that much damage. I'm not telling anyone what to do or anything, just saying it might pay to ask a lot of questions before deciding. I imagine they are going to push hard, especially given the supraspinatus destruction.
Plenty of questions for sure, so far they haven't been pushing surgery but we'll see if this changes their opinion.
asdf wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:57 am Sounds like your humerus got yanked out of the socket! I know you said you did this flipping a tire, but I'm wondering if you could describe exactly what happened during the lift. Did one hand slip off thereby fully loading your other arm? Just curious.
Best way I can describe it is I had my hands out wide, and like a dope I moved them in to try and get under the tire, so yeah, bicep suddenly took a lot of the load... basically everything you SHOULDN'T do flipping a tire...
Last edited by mouse on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:51 pm

6/8/2021

Axle DB Press
70x8x3

DB Power Snatch
65x3x8 EMOM

DB Flat Bench
75x15x2
+
Meadows Row
55x15x2

Hammer Curl
25x15, 30x15, 35x15

Dude this week sucks so far. No more than 30 seconds after putting down my pre for the day we got nailed with a torrential downpour that immediately flooded our back yard. Cue me scrambling around the roof like a drowned rat to clear out the gutters and clean up the mess. Managed to tweak the shoulder/bicep in the process. Not bad but I feel like I'm back in time a week or so now...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm

@Hardartery here's the whole shebang if you wanted some light reading

FINDINGS

Supraspinatus Tendon: The majority the fibers are retracted to the distal acromion. A few anterior most fibers may remain intact. A tendon stump at the supraspinatus footplate demonstrates globular low signal intensity on all sequences, likely
representing the calcific density seen on the prior radiographs.

Infraspinatus Tendon: Moderate tendinopathy and partial-thickness undersurface tearing distally.

Subscapularis Tendon: Mild calcific tendinopathy, similar to the prior radiographs.

Teres Minor Tendon: Intact.

Long Head Biceps Tendon: The long head biceps tendon is torn and retracted distally into the bicipital groove, with the distal tendon stump likely seen on series 4 image 21.

Rotator Cuff Muscles: No atrophy.

Labrum: The labrum is torn along its superior and anterior portions.

Glenohumeral Articular Cartilage: Preserved.

Acromioclavicular Joint: Moderate hypertrophic arthropathy. Downsloping distal lateral acromion with decreased subacromial space.

Bones: High riding humeral head. No acute osseous abnormalities.

Fluid: Moderate glenohumeral joint effusion that communicates with fluid in the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa. Fluid is seen within the subscapularis recess and around the distal long head biceps tendon.

Other: Not applicable.