Hot sauce thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

rjharris

Hot sauce thread

Post by rjharris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 am

Recently, my friends and I did our own version of Hot Ones. In case you're not familiar, Hot Ones is a YouTube interview show where the host interviews a guest over wings; each question gets its own wing, and they get increasingly hotter sauces on them. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVLAAMZ ... Z&index=69

Anyway, this got me into hot sauces; I'm looking for new ones people might recommend. In my fridge, I've got

CaJohn's Bourbon Infused Chipotle Habanero Hot Sauce
High River Sauces Tears of The Sun
You Can't Handle This Hot Sauce
Habanero XXXtraHot Sauce El Yucateco Mayan Recipe

The first two are really tasty; CaJohn tastes what it sounds like; tears of the sun is mildly fruity. They're not too hot. The third one is pretty warm, but also has a good flavor; tastes of cloves and molasses. The fourth one doesn't really have any flavor to me other than hot, unfortunately.

I've tried Dave's Insanity, and it's good for delivering a lot of heat, but man does it not taste good. I don't know whether Dave's Naga Jolokia sauce tastes any better.

cwd

Re: Hot sauce thread

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:51 am

I don't see much point in sauces hotter than Tabasco or Sriracha. Those come in nice big bottles, you can use lots. And they taste good.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am

I personally don't favor the 'normal' Tabasco sauce. I'm much more of a fan of their green pepper one.

Sriracha is good, but there are so many other flavors that are good. It's like saying hamburgers taste good, so we should only eat hamburgers.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

I'm also not a fan of original Tabasco. Trader Joe's has their own Sriracha as well as a Green Dragon sauce that are awesome. Big fan of Frank's as a general purpose hot sauce, and I've come around to Cholula as well. I have an unlabeled medicine jar of a hot sauce with a dia de los muertes design that is halfway between sauce and paste, and is quite hot. My ex picked it up for me in a Texas airport.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am

rjharris wrote: Sriracha is good, but there are so many other flavors that are good. It's like saying hamburgers taste good, so we should only eat hamburgers.
Variety is great. New hot sauces for the purpose of being hotter than tabasco/sriracha are not interesting to me. The super-hot ones I've tried were either too hot to taste anything else, or actively tasted bad.

Franks and Crystal are nice vinegar-based Louisiana style sauces, for when you don't want the fermented flavor in Tabasco.
I like Thai Chili Paste, which is basically Sriracha w/o the sugar and less runny.

I thought the green Tabasco was too salty. Maybe I used too much.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm

cwd wrote:New hot sauces for the purpose of being hotter than tabasco/sriracha are not interesting to me.
This is fair, but 'hotter than tabasco' covers a wide swath of Scoville space before you get too hot to taste anything. At least for me, though I grant others may have sufficiently different taste buds than mine that they can only detect the heat. I really want to try this Ginger / Scotch Bonnet one.

http://heatonist.com/queen-majesty-scot ... et-ginger/

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Ginger/Scotch Bonnet sounds nice, assuming it's not too hot for me to tolerate.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 pm

I like a bit of heat, but it's more about flavour for me. Cholula is better than Sriracha - it's widely available but not that hot. Sabrosa Habanero pepper sauce is nice. I'm eating some right now.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 am

I used to put that El Yucateco on just about errthing. So good. Anything scotch bonnet is incredibly tasty as well.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am

Texas Pete you guyz. Like tabasco, it's made from fermented peppers, but has a little less heat, more vinegar tang and sweetness.

Usually regular Pete for me, although I recently went through a bottle of this in about 3 sittings:

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 am

Root wrote:I used to put that El Yucateco on just about errthing. So good. Anything scotch bonnet is incredibly tasty as well.
One of the El Yucatecos is just basically habanero paste. First time I used that stuff I POURED it all over a burrito and then stubbornly ate the whole thing. It was not pleasant.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:01 pm

mikeylikey wrote:
Root wrote:I used to put that El Yucateco on just about errthing. So good. Anything scotch bonnet is incredibly tasty as well.
One of the El Yucatecos is just basically habanero paste. First time I used that stuff I POURED it all over a burrito and then stubbornly ate the whole thing. It was not pleasant.
Pretty sure this is the one I have. I'd imagine a long pour in a burrito to be pretty unpleasant.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm

My favorite burger joint has a amazing messy fries that comes with a dipping sauce
mayonaise mixed with sriacha
this stuff .. i can put it on so much stuff. I need to make it at home. Love it for quisodillas.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Mayo + sriracha is heavenly.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:08 pm

cwd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm Mayo + sriracha is heavenly.
Yassss

OP, you mean this Yucataco stuff? It's so incredible. Very tasty. Too hot. I wish it could back off but hey. The taste probably comes out more in something you can lightly mix it into like scrambled eggs.

This other sauce pictured is a Malaysian sweet hot sauce. Amazing.

Someone gave me a bottle of Slap Ya Mama. Excellent stuff. Not really hot at all, good flavor though.

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Oh and this stuff. Tiger Sauce. It's so amazing. More of a zesty burger or chicken topper, I kinda wonder if it's got a Worcestershire base or something.

http://www.bigcalfguy.com/wp-content/up ... -sauce.jpg

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 am

Root wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:04 am I used to put that El Yucateco on just about errthing. So good. Anything scotch bonnet is incredibly tasty as well.
El Yucateco is incredible stuff. I'm not a fan of Tabasco flavor. Much prefer Cholula, especially the chili lime flavor.
Idlehands wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm My favorite burger joint has a amazing messy fries that comes with a dipping sauce
mayonaise mixed with sriacha
this stuff .. i can put it on so much stuff. I need to make it at home. Love it for quisodillas.
There's a burger place near me that serves pretty damn good burgers, has Boulevard Tank 7 on tap ($4.25/pint! Not bad!), and has a really amazing condiment selection for their fries. Sriracha ketchup, Sriracha mayo, chipotle mayo, serrano ranch, Sierra Nevada brown mustard, horseradish mayo, etc. The fry sauces are absolutely the main attraction.