Deadlift form check

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

matthewbrown55

Deadlift form check

Post by matthewbrown55 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Hey Exodus,

Yeah so I have been working to try and fix my deadlift but I need some help. I am 230lbs, 6'3 with long legs v.s torso I have two videos here, 1 rep at RPE 8 430lbs. 1 rep 430lbs and 3 reps 415 lbs at RPE 9. I am on Barbell medicines week 8 of the bridge (last week).]
I see my hips moving up before the bar does and i'm not sure if thats my main issue on the lift right now or not

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HUe2Fbd3ghU5PTpR2

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Deadlift form check

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 am

Hi, @matthewbrown55. Welcome to the site.

My eye isn't as well trained and many here, but i do see a couple of things.
I'm sure people more expert will be here later to help as well. Please don't consider my advice as the best, most lucid you will get.

You don't seem to be fully set before you start pulling.
I see a lot of slack in your arms which straighten out as you begin to pull.
You want all the slack in your body gone before you start pulling.
Pulling back with the lats or "bending the bar across your legs" putting your elbows in your back pockets" is part of it.
Neither of those cues ever worked for me, but pulling back with your lats and getting tight in the upper back (and keeping that tightness throughout the pull) is important.
You definitely want that slack out of your arms at the start too.

But this also includes the lower back. You look to be starting with some rounding there before the pull starts.

Think of getting your back flat. If you pull back with your lats, take the slack out of your body (and the bar), then it's a chain to your low back as well.
You want to flatten out that rounding by arching (i think arching is a good word here)
Really think about pointing your butt more at the wall behind you than at the floor.

Use the bar as a counterbalance to achieve these things. Take the slack out of the bar too. I read somewhere you want to hear the plates click before you pull. Just another cue, but that states it pretty well, i think.
Breathe and brace like hell, keep that tightness.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am

Yes, your legs extend before the bar breaks the floor, but your back is in proper extension after this movement, so I guess that's the position you need to get to to start the pull.

matthewbrown55

Post by matthewbrown55 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:59 am

Thank you! you are correct that I dont focus on my lats at all. Ill try this and hopefully it improves. Anymore help is still appreciated

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am

You are most welcome, @matthewbrown55.

Good luck in your search for technique info with the Deadlift.
I've watched tons of youtube stuff.
usually if you can find stuff by several different world class lifters, that stuff is usually good.
Alan Thrall etc... also.

The more info you can get from good sources, and then compare what different people are saying, the better able you might be in determining what is common to most lifters, and what works best for you.

i wish i could recall all the different stuff i've watched. But if you get good at telling if someone is a hack or not, you can go down the rabbit hole and probably find the treasure.

I'm sure more people will chime in here too.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:04 am

How are things going with the DL, @matthewbrown55?