MJH KID-SPORTS ARE AWFUL LOG

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Renascent
Desperado

Re: MJH GUERRILLA TRAINING LOG ...

Post by Renascent » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:36 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:25 am cool, big ol' hip flexor that attaches to the spine.

I wonder what the exact origin point is?

Those bony projections on the sides of the lumbar vertebrae?

I've also seen sources that mention origin points on the intervertebral discs as well...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 am

Renascent wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:36 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:25 am cool, big ol' hip flexor that attaches to the spine.

I've also seen sources that mention origin points on the intervertebral discs as well...
yeah, weird.

I'm trying to track down what mmight have happened to my kid's back that last two track seasons.

I've come down to this: spinal erectors and muscles like the psoas major essentially tearing his vertebrae asunder at the pedicle junction.

- not an SSC
- did not stay at a holiday inn last night

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:54 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:45 am
Renascent wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:36 am

yeah, weird.

I'm trying to track down what mmight have happened to my kid's back that last two track seasons.

I've come down to this: spinal erectors and muscles like the psoas major essentially tearing his vertebrae asunder at the pedicle junction.

- not an SSC
- did not stay at a holiday inn last night

Gotcha.

I wind up googling shit about the psoas major/minor, iliacus, quadratus lumborum, diaphragm, and other nearby structures at least once a day, usually during moments of idleness.

- also not an SSC
- thinks the psoas is kinda cute

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:02 pm

7-25-2022. Mon.

First day of official football practice and then basically didn't do jack shit.

--BENCH: 135*10*3
--CGBP: 115*7*3
--INCLINE SMITH MACHINE BENCH: ???*10*3
....that was it for weights.
Tomorrow they are supposed to 'hit legs'.

A sprint "down and back" thru the school plaza....maybe 60m x (2) of those?

Some ladder footwork silly twinkle toes bullshit.

Film

------------------------

Son knew it was bullshit.
Wanted to finish upper body....so I dropped him off at the gym.

CHINS: 3 sets of 9?
DB ROWS
70-75 *10*4

REAR DELT FLY MACHINE 4 sets of 10 reps.

DB INCLINE CURLS
25*10*3

REVERSE BARBELL CURLS. ???*10*3

SHRUGS

FOREARM ROLLER.

....meanwhile STCHS is running around the field with helmets (only) on.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:52 pm

7-26-2022. Tues

2nd day of HSFB Practice.

Yesterday was so non consequential or whatever, we decided to go sprint midday.
Daughter was in hospital getting appendix removed, mom stay home from work(with daughter)...super cloudy, only 100F out, but not sunny.....we sprinted.

(5) 40yd sprints
At CPA. Spikes. FreeLap timed.

Later , 5 pm football practice.

They did some harder conditioning circuit thing:
- Stadium stair runs;
- Repeated 5-10-5 cone thingy;
- Ladder tap dance stuff;
- Wall sits;
- etc.
Two kids threw up (one was a coach's son, who is sort of a jock type alpha character on the team).
MJ said it was indeed hard, but not THAT hard....and he has done zero traditional conditioning for several weeks...only speed work with super long rest periods. Maybe the other kids are very detrained.

AND AFTER THAT, then they lifted 'legs'.
Explosive back squats; step-ups; etc

Last edited by mbasic on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:02 am

7-27-2022 WED

Only logging this, because its the rationale to be able to sprint-train tomorrow.
Once the football practices become 'hard', there won't be any point in logging thru the season....

They did some kind of upper body conditioning circuit of BS:
- Battle Ropes
- Walk up stairs with plastic tube held overhead
- med ball throw thing
- POWER CLEANS!!! 135x5x5 (Easy)

Then they just ran thru running plays out of the play book, and went over special teams, etc.

He wants to sprint. Wanted to run after practice.....i said no, rest up, and we'll do just 3 20-flys tomorrow on fresh legs.

=========================================

I thought this was ..... 'funny' ....

This is a small 3a school, in the desert along the Colorado River .... fairly rural, and dumpy part of the state.
I guess 'someone' built them a air conditioned indoor facility ? Full length football field ?
Two high schools use for for games and practices..... the school shown practicing has to travel 11 miles to use it.
The other HS maybe 4 miles.

Its funny, its a full size field, but only one size has goal posts. So I assume the offense always heads that way.
(no advantage/disadvantage indoors ... sun, wind, shitty bare spots on field, etc).
Steep concrete bleachers on one side only to save costs.
Fucking crazy.

Its hot there, very low altitude in the desert (might be hotter in Phoenix due to urban heat island effect).
They run the whole season of home games there for those two schools ....which to me is odd, because around late Sept early Oct
its nice outside in the evening (for an outdoor game at home). You would think homecoming you'd want on campus too.

I guess they have other activities there: soccer, conferences, etc.

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:09 am

It's generally hotter along the Colorado River Valley in the Mohave County area than Phoenix is during the day in July by about 5F. The heat island effect makes it about 10F hotter in Phoenix at night though.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 am

Culican wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:09 am It's generally hotter along the Colorado River Valley in the Mohave County area than Phoenix is during the day in July by about 5F. The heat island effect makes it about 10F hotter in Phoenix at night though.
yeah, most teams here try to practice from 5:30 to 8 pm.
Those rural areas cool off as soon as the sun goes down .... espeically if surrounded by Agric. or desert.

And games typically start at 6pm and run 'til 9 or 9:30 outside.
Even in late August and September, I'm sure its cooler there (mohave valley) than Phoenix-metro in the early evening.

More power to them though .... apparently, they use the indoor facility quite a bit for practice all thru summer.
It would be cool to have a game or two there, but I like the outside part of football myself.
I guess all their away games .... they'll be on an actual football field.

While were on the subject .... the artificial turf fields that are so popular now (with High Schools) are CRAZY HOT.
Pretty much miserable. The black crumb rubber pseudo-soil mixed in with the fake green grass blades heats up like a mother f 'er.
When we use break-&-enter into the nearby school's complex to use their track, if its 10:30am to 6pm, he cannot stand in socks (when switching out shoes for spikes) for very long on the astro-turf.....its that hot on his feat, and you can just feel the heat radiating off the field surface. GRASS IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER in this regard (but: water, mowing, maintenance, dead spots, winter seeding, etc).

We did a flagfootball tournament up in Flagstaff/NAU on their artificial turf soccer fields .... they do that in summer because its nice up there ...even those fields were hot as fuck. Even in the AM; the morning air would be crisp, and you could feel the contrast of warmth still coming of that fake field. You can really see how that urban heat effect works first hand.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:14 am

7-28-2022 Thurs

He had a bad day.

He wanted to sprint before practice, so he could at least get his speed work in, but I was tied up at work ....
Yesterday the practice was super easy and I could see at what he was getting at....

I texted him 'OK', and that I'd meet him later at the CVHS track ....and then take him onto FB at his school.

He took the FreeLap timing gear, all of his FB gear (practice would be after), and his track gear.
Walked ~2miles to CVHS (crossed a dirt/plowed field ....as I noticed his socks and shoes were all brown, and asked him about it).
...and got kicked off the track by the football team/ asst. coach. He was pissed. They weren't using the track.

So he had to wait a bit for me to show up. Running short on time now .... I hit another public HS (GHS) on the way to his practice.
We quickly got out and rushed thru things.....he was pissed and stressed out. Therefore, he ran like crap

GHS track, spikes.
(3) 20m fly sprints @6-7' min rests.
Although these times sucked, they were not slower then previous slow/bad days in the winter when we were timing.

Then I dropped him off at FB practice.
When I picked him, he had a "breakdown" of sorts
Some silly circuit, decline bench, etc.... he basically started rage-crying at this point (yes, tears) :
"we don't practice, we don't run routes, do football drills ... we haven't thrown or I have caught a ball in a month "
"the weight training is a joke! no one on the team is taking any of this seriously"
"it might be worse than flag football"

He didn't want to eat dinner, and went to bed.

-----------------

Its really frustrating. I guess they still can't use the grass field at the school. They finally mowed it down, and striped it.
They team actually STOOD on it, and did formation line ups and walked thru plays .... but no practice(v) on it ....no running, cutting, sprinting, drills, etc. It's been off limits this whole summer.
Weird now too, because the last three days its be relatively nice outside (only 95-105F semi cloudy; and not 115F sunny)....would be nice to take advantage of the weather.

They have been confined to the gymnasium, wt.room (size of a large closet), and the concrete basketball court (very small, fenced in).
AND NOW, the gymnasium is off limits for resurfacing or whatever.

I learned what was happening before, when the gym WAS open, we had to practice at 5-6 am ....because the volleyball team was using at8 or 9 or whatever. We got the shitty time.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 am

7-29-2022 FRI -

"Football Practice" was somekind of core/abz/trunk/medball circuit thing ..... they were doing on the concrete basketball courts outside.
...I saw some of this. Then it was mostly film and offense-install stuff. Fairly easy

Later on saturday, he said, "I have a sore from that ab work we did"
Dad: "your abs are sore? ... hunh ?"
Boy: "no, I have a sore ... a scab from the abrasion on my tailbone area from the concrete"

So after I dropped him off to do "lower body"

--TRAP BAR, LH: 225x3; 250x3; 270x3x2
...↑↓superset inbtwn^ w/...
--BOX JUMP: x3r x5s

--DB LUNGES: 35x5x4
...↑↓superset inbtwn^...
--LUNGE JUMP fron low step: x6r x 4s

--LEG CURL: 80x8x4 down slow, up fast as possible

--SEATED CALF RAISE: ??? x 12 x 4

--CABLE KNEE UPS/HIP FLEXION: 40x8x4

============================

7-30-2022 SAT.

minor FB note: they were issued helmets and pads today.
Monday will be helmets only for a week.

upper

BENCH: 165x3x2; 138x8x2
SEATED ROW MACHINE: 155x8x4
MATRIX OHP MACH: (35+5)x10x3
NG LAT PULLDOWN: ??? x10x4
LTE: 62x8x3; 52x10
DB INCLINE CHAIR CURLS: 25x10x3

...said his forearms were super sore from the FB workout....opted out of the forearm roller / shrugs.
Which is totally fine, but I asked him what he thought it was from.
He thought it was from the "tire flip contest".
I asked "contest?".... he didn't mentioned that the other day.
So I guess he "won" at 47 flips with the tractor tire.
Devin, a lineman, a 12th grader .... who hits the gym on his own quite a bit and his training could best be describes as 'powerlifter influenced' got 30 something flips. That's not a humble-brag about my son, but more of a snapshot of how sad the state of our team is as a whole.... the sophomore WR should not be winning this contest.

==========================

7-31-2022 SUN. TOTAL REST.

plan is/was to rest his 'legs' all day Sat and Sun and sprint Mon afternoon on totally recovered legs.

however, we did take the Juggs machine out for a test on sunday

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:42 am

8-1-2022 Mon.

Took advantage of the rest:
Went to CPA and ran (3) x 20mfly sprints on their drag strip off of a full day's rest
Crap times; always crap time there ....

Rest 3 hrs. ... then to HSFB practice.
...wasn't too hard, but actually looked like an actual HSFB practice, was kinda impressed !
only 22 kids though :(
He said it wasn't too hard.
They got him doing everything this year, he was is with the RBs doing RB drills.
WRs later. QB. Punt/Kick return. etc.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 am

8-2-2022 Tues.

4 pm, FB PRACTICE
He said it was fairly easy FOR HIM; I caught the end....the did just a few gassers (half gassers? ....lolz).
The other kids are woefully out of shape, and slow.
The freshman are dying, taking off their helmets and writhing around on the ground (.... already?).

Tomorrow they have off because its school orientation day for new families, etc.
With that said, he wanted to go to the gym. I prescribed a super easy workout with only two worksets of ea exercise and light loads.

TRAP DL, LH: 245x6x2
WALK DB LUNGE: 35x6x2
SEATED LEG CURL
STRAIGHT LEG CALF
INCLINE SITUPS
STANDING CABLE KNEE FLEXION

tomorrow he can do upper body on his own, as he will be stuck at home with his mom (WFH) ....give him something to do.
maybe thurs before practice we can do a couple of sprints.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:17 am

8-3-2022 Wed.

No practice; open house for school ...so they cancelled it.
In the afternoon, he lifted upper

INCLINE: 138x7x4
CHIN UPS: tried 10, 7,7
LTE: ?
DB ROWS:
LATERIAL RAISES:
INCLINE CURLS:
FOREARM ROLLER
Last edited by mbasic on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:28 am

8-4-2022 Thur

Tried to take advantage of the day off yesterday, and
sprint on fresh legs.
Before practice, hit track and ran (3) 40 yd sprints.
1st att was good, 2 and 3 were duds.

Dropped him and went back to work for a bit.
Caught the conditioning at the end of practice,
didn't look too bad (6) 30-40 yd sprints with minimal rests,
then 40 yards down and back. Wasn't bad at all.
One kid who has intermittently been coming to practice was keeping up with MJH (a yard or two behind),
.... was seen throwing up after it was over. I guess that's from the lactic acid "poisoning"?.

Most All of the kids are out of shape.
My boy is out of shape, as we have done absolutely zero "conditioning" type of stuff (focusing on speed).

This will all workout in our case, as I think the (new) coach has been taking it easy on the kids as a whole
because he knows our 'Mathlete' population could handle a full on typical football conditioning session and
it SLOWLY adding a little more each practice. And some days its super minimal wrt conditioning..
....its brutally hot too. So that works out in that these conditioning session really don't derail the boy ability to sprint or lift.

Friday is the start of a 3 day lock-in camp (they won't leave the school for 3 days/2 nights)

mbasic

Re: MJH KID-SPORTS ARE TERRIBLE LOG

Post by mbasic » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:20 pm

not my kid's school, but a sad example of what goes on out there ^

========================

8-5-2022 fri to 8-7 sun

3 day lock-in camp at school thing.

much conditioning;
so running

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 am

8-7-2022 Sun am they did almost nothing. Pickup time was 7:15am.

So total rest this day.
The camp? was nice and all for team bonding and shit like that..... but the kids can only upload so much offense/defense at one time.
Sleep was suboptimal both nights (he slept all day sunday).

===========================

8-8-2022 Mon

FB practice after school.
Some sprints/conditioning at the end....wasn't hard for him at all.
Other kids sitting down, kneeling, "dying" during rest periods.

After he wanted to lift; no homework ....

....real quick:

BENCH: 145x5x4 (@ezpz)
TRAP DL, LH: 255x3x3
NG LAT PD: 95x8x4
LEG CURL: 110x8x3

....about 25 minutes total, lolz

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:50 am

8-9-2022 Tue.
Football practice.

==============

8-10-2022 Wed.
Football Practice.
Conditioning was in the form of special teams running plays non-stop, and running the plays out ...running all the way down the field to cover punts....several times. Wasn't hard for the boy at all.

After this, we went to CVHS, and ran a few 10 flys.....which was successful.
The times surprised me, as was expecting laying down turd-times because of "fatigue" .....
It WAS quite windy, but according to the flags, the wind was mostly a cross, rather than at our backs.
Bleachers was knocking it down also.
He was fucking around with his form at first, overdoing the spider thing.

We both noticed the same thing: he runs well after (an easy) practice.
This has happened a few times before with flag football; he posted real good fly times after a practice.
I think he's relaxed and 'happy' if practice went well...runs loose and fast.
He was telling me about the "hitting" they did today, and how it was fun.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 am

8-11-2022 Thurs.

Football practice.
Nothing too hard.

-------------------------------

8-12-2022 Fri.
Football Practice got rained out....which I know sounds ridiculous. But two things: they worry about lightning now . And, our whole school has only 1 football field, for all the sports, recess (there's a K-6 section), PE, etc.....so you can't tear it up, and have a mud-practice and tear it all up. So they did film and scheming indoors.

So after at 7 pm he did:

--TRAP BAR HH--
135*5*2; 205*5; 275*3
300*3; 325*3*2
slow superset with box jumps *3r*5s

--WALKING DB LUNGES--
30*6*3

--LEG EXTENSION--
100*10*3

--SEATED LEG CURL--
###*10*3.

--CALVES--

----------------------------------

8-13-2022. Sat.

Full rest.

mbasic

MURDER AT A KID-SPORTS-THING !?!?!?!?!?

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 am

I guess Aquib Talib's brother, Yaquib was involved in a fight between coaches at a flag football thing, where someone pulled a gun and killed a coach?

=======================

8-14-2022 Sun.

(4) 10mflys at MeqHS, spikes, etc

later:
BENCH: 155x5x3
BELT SQUAT:185x6x3
CHIN UPS: 10,10,9
LYING LEG CURLS: 110x8x4
arms, lat raises, calves.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:46 am

8-15-2022 Mon.
FB Practice, not hard, little conditioning.
Many kids were absent sick.
MJ not feeling well

================================

8-16-2022 Tues.
MJ sick. Missed school and practice.

================================

8-17-2022 Wed.
Mj feeling better. Went to school and practice.

Story goes:
Three kids on the archery team had "heat stroke" (it was 106F and cloudy today).
If you are wondering: no.... no our archery team is NOT like the biathton where they run (ski) and shoot ....
....they stand in one place, draw a bow, and release, and walk over and pluck out arrows out of the target.

So with that, and some spotted lightning bolts barely visible 20 mi away .... they canned the regular FB practice
and only did a walk thru in street clothes.
This was kinda chicken shit, as we've done much much worse (pads, helmets, 108+).
I think it was somekind of CYA thing , and/or done to make the archery kids not feel so bad about themselves.
We have a full time "athletic trainer" .... full time as he at our practices fulltime.....I guess it was his call.

So afterwards, having not done anything, he was all hyped up and pissed off and rested and he wanted to go sprint.
1st high-school we came to, their FB practice was still going on at 7pm (note: not cancelled).
So by the time we got to the 2nd HS it was fairly dark .... lights were on at adjacent fields.
The first two times were only medium shitty, the 3rd was xtra shit so we left.
He might still be sick and/or the darkness might affect what a person can do .

I'll post it on our IG page later, with a story how I'm not cool with the cancellation.