MJH KID-SPORTS ARE AWFUL LOG

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

mbasic

Re: MJH KID-SPORTS ARE AWFUL LOG

Post by mbasic » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:30 am

8-11-2023.

Football scrimmage. Opponents were ummm....not good. But we suck too.

Boy had two TDs. I wonder if that jet sweep (the beginning of it) is supposed to look bleh like that....more of a propeller sweep.

OMG!!! there was a play on defense where he actually defeated a block and made a shoestring tackle.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:02 am

8-18-2023

1st game. We got killed again.

Son has a 66 TD reception in the 1st quarter when it was still competitive....20 yd flag? route. He got behind the star athlete of the other team. The kid he beat goes to out of state FB camps and showcases, and his specialty is CB/DB. Posts on social media quite a bit trying to get recruited by college coaches, etc. That one TD made the game somewhat palletable. Decent throw but not perfect....once he got it then no one could catch him.

Then a couple of jet sweeps for 5-6 yards....was miracle he got positive yardage. Receiving wise, I don't think another throw came his way.

This is getting old....depressing. There's only about 4 good athletes on the team. I feel bad for the boy

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:28 am

8-19 ... lol, he woke up and said his body hurt everywhere. Later he went to the gym and did upper body

8-20 ... lol, he went to the gym and did lower body: DL 315x5x3; squatted; lunges; abs/core stuff

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:07 pm

8-25-2023

Football game.

Opponent was sucky.

MJ had a couple of nice long runs and receptions....couple other meager 6-7 yard gains
A TD on a jet sweep. On defense had a safety when they blitzed him. Had a 65yd punt return for TD, but was called back for a crack back block (a-block was chicken shit; b- wouldn't have mattered).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:47 am

...number 9 for anyone paying attention

1 -nice catch and run. Funny enough, he got us down to the 4 yd line, and we couldn't punch it in :(

2 -this coach's version of a jet sweep. These count as Fwd passes becuz of that pitch fwd. Good for QB stats :lol:
(horse collar so +15)

3 -he was blitzing from the rt. side, got the safety!

4 -punt return after the safety. For some reason they don't have him ever (except here) return kicks .... I guess they don't trust his hands or decision making skills or something (which is not surprising). He is clearly the fastest kid on the team. Its just curious to me. But I don't care as it seems like special teams = injuries.

5 - nice catch and run, got out of a couple of tackles. lol that was 4th down & 14 there. HS football (at this level) is such a shitshow :lol:

6 - jet sweep thingy for a TD.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:07 am

lolz

3 yr letterman comment is priceless

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:09 pm

9-1-2023. Fri night game

Lost. Game was competitive.

Son got robbed by the officials, greatest play he's ever made imo.

Basically, it was the Leon Lett thing and he was Don Beebe.

We punted from around mid field, and the returner broke it open ....my son didn't give up and came flying from behind. The kid with the ball starting to slow down around the 15yard line, and raised the ball up in celebration of his punt return for. TD, and the 6 my son leaped up and swatted it out of the returner's hand cause d a fumble. They bothe fell two the ground but MJ got up and scooped up the ball and started to run back the other way.

BBBUUUTTTT, there was an inadvertent whistle or some bullshit. Ref threw a flag right after MJ jumped up on the kid. I think the ref thought the kid was in the end zone already (cuz he was celebrating )or something. Everyone freaked out because it was suck a bad call. They called it dead right there at the moment of the inadvertent whistle...they assessed TWO unsportsmanlike penalties on the opponent. But the kept the ball (35 yd line).

Ref was a really old man, and was right there 15 yds away from the whole thing.

Sucks

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:05 am

lol

TL;DR: Deflate gate in Arizona. Funny enough, the game where the coach got caught was a blowout. WTF

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/09/05/hig ... -aia-says/

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:12 pm

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:18 am

9-8-2023

FB game. We lost, by a lot in the end (20-45) it was sorta competitive thru 3 qtrs.
2 or 3 of main players were out with injuries (concussion, bruised collar bone, etc)

He had 2 receiving TDs (42y,83yd) !
A crazy KO return for about 40 yds !
A few other catches, a few tackles.
A blocked PAT, but I think it was gonna get blocked by either way ....

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:18 am

9-15-2023

Just found about this ...missed it when it first happens.

This happened at 12U youth game; my son's old FFB teammates go this school (where the field is at)....lol.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lega ... ball-game/

===========================

game later tonight. Team is good; we'll get killed ....hope no one gets hurt.

went to our sister school's game against a quasi-rival (SPA HS).

SPA was terrible two years ago (good team; terrible behavior and sportsmanship). This was the game where SPA's AD came in to our locker room after the game and apologized to us about the behavior of their team and their coach. Pretty much threw their own team under the bus. That AD quit the next year. The coach back then (DM) was a short guy (5'5" or something, kid you not).....massive short man's disease. Would talk so much shit. At 7's in the summer, etc.

Anyway's DM got forced out of SPA by the school's admin staff; I thought it was a good thing, but then it was clear they were making room to hire KT. This was the asshole who coached the team (STC HS), and the led the charge, when they stomped on our pink-cancer-ribbon-logo on the center of our field after we lost to them..... he got fired for that. Our head coach's wife had cancer, and that's why we stenciled the cancer ribbon on our field. So anyways, SPA hired this KT asshole to be head FB coach AND THE athletic director. KT is ex NFL....mostly was on practice squads and shit, but did play a few scant snaps at CB here or there in NFL games (7 different teams or something). I wrote about this two years ago here.

Turns out all the good players at SPA who were there still, were very loyal to the old coach (DM) ..... and they took umbrage to what had happened to their coach! They all left! Which was really weird and telling .... some of the best juniors (that were going to be seniors) left. So they did this going to other schools knowing they would not be allowed to play half the season.....transfer rule. Sacrificed 5 games as a senior to get out of that place?!?! KT must really sucked ass. I think he came in there with his hard mentality right away, and didn't realize he was at a very small school .....there's not 60 varsity players, where you can over-discipline a kid into oblivion and some other kid fills his spot immediately.

They had ~40 varsity player last year, which is a huge roster for a 2a team (normally 20-32, 35 would be 'big'/good). They had only SEVEN kids return (maybe 8-10 seniors aged out). Many of their 'star players' transferred to other nearby schools in the same district.

Anyways. the school (SPA HS) is retarded. SPA installed a nice new art.turf football field 3 years ago. I think it was $1M. Huge expense for a 2a school. But get this: no lights. (no soccer field markings either, stupid). Last time we were there, they had rented 8 portable light towers like you see on construction sites.....8 running generators (one went off/malfunctioned during our game, lol). Anyways, the rumor is the didn't rent them in time for this season or something so they have no lights. So our sister school (CP) played them last night on a Thurs.....we went to go watch. Game was at a public park nearby. Game was a total shit show, SPA lost by 70 or someshit.

Point is, they can't even play their own home FB games, on their $1M home field because ..... they are idiots.
(the public park sucks BTW, no bleachers, can't see shit, etc)
I suspect the new HC (KT), knew their team would suck this year...and didn't want to flip the bill for that. OR, he is the AD too ....and forgot to reserve the lights. Other stupid shit" the (plastic/art.turf) field is NOT lined for soccer either .... so IDK if the school doesn't have a soccer team or what (which is odd, its a very densely populated Hispanic area [/racism]). OR, you can't even rent out your super nice field for club soccer teams/games/tournaments.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:21 pm

9-15-2023.
FB game. Lost again. Team was good and we were somewhat competitive for 2-1/2 quarters.

MJH had a only 3 catches for 60 yds....one of those had a horse collar penalty . Drew two PI penalties on two other plays beside those catches....

He was mentally "off" for most of the game though...you could tell. A lot of his teammates got injured

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:07 am

9-20-2023

The team/asshole-coach I had mentioned in the previous posts has forfeited their game with us today.....and cancelled the remainder of their season.

I laughed out loud

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:44 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:18 am

game later tonight. Team is good; we'll get killed ....hope no one gets hurt.

went to our sister school's game against a quasi-rival (SPA HS).

SPA was terrible two years ago (good team; terrible behavior and sportsmanship). This was the game where SPA's AD came in to our locker room after the game and apologized to us about the behavior of their team and their coach. Pretty much threw their own team under the bus. That AD quit the next year. The coach back then (DM) was a short guy (5'5" or something, kid you not).....massive short man's disease. Would talk so much shit. At 7's in the summer, etc.

Anyway's DM got forced out of SPA by the school's admin staff; I thought it was a good thing, but then it was clear they were making room to hire KT. This was the asshole who coached the team (STC HS), and the led the charge, when they stomped on our pink-cancer-ribbon-logo on the center of our field after we lost to them..... he got fired for that. Our head coach's wife had cancer, and that's why we stenciled the cancer ribbon on our field. So anyways, SPA hired this KT asshole to be head FB coach AND THE athletic director. KT is ex NFL....mostly was on practice squads and shit, but did play a few scant snaps at CB here or there in NFL games (7 different teams or something). I wrote about this two years ago here.

Turns out all the good players at SPA who were there still, were very loyal to the old coach (DM) ..... and they took umbrage to what had happened to their coach! They all left! Which was really weird and telling .... some of the best juniors (that were going to be seniors) left. So they did this going to other schools knowing they would not be allowed to play half the season.....transfer rule. Sacrificed 5 games as a senior to get out of that place?!?! KT must really sucked ass. I think he came in there with his hard mentality right away, and didn't realize he was at a very small school .....there's not 60 varsity players, where you can over-discipline a kid into oblivion and some other kid fills his spot immediately.

They had ~40 varsity player last year, which is a huge roster for a 2a team (normally 20-32, 35 would be 'big'/good). They had only SEVEN kids return (maybe 8-10 seniors aged out). Many of their 'star players' transferred to other nearby schools in the same district.

Anyways. the school (SPA HS) is retarded. SPA installed a nice new art.turf football field 3 years ago. I think it was $1M. Huge expense for a 2a school. But get this: no lights. (no soccer field markings either, stupid). Last time we were there, they had rented 8 portable light towers like you see on construction sites.....8 running generators (one went off/malfunctioned during our game, lol). Anyways, the rumor is the didn't rent them in time for this season or something so they have no lights. So our sister school (CP) played them last night on a Thurs.....we went to go watch. Game was at a public park nearby. Game was a total shit show, SPA lost by 70 or someshit.

Point is, they can't even play their own home FB games, on their $1M home field because ..... they are idiots.
(the public park sucks BTW, no bleachers, can't see shit, etc)
I suspect the new HC (KT), knew their team would suck this year...and didn't want to flip the bill for that. OR, he is the AD too ....and forgot to reserve the lights. Other stupid shit" the (plastic/art.turf) field is NOT lined for soccer either .... so IDK if the school doesn't have a soccer team or what (which is odd, its a very densely populated Hispanic area [/racism]). OR, you can't even rent out your super nice field for club soccer teams/games/tournaments.
This^ is the team that forfeited to us..... then the news came out KT cancelled their season too.
I guess a bunch of kids quit after that game mentioned above ....one kid quit right prior to the game.
I guess the shit hit the fan after this, KT had said (publicly) some pretty awful stuff about his own kids.
People started posting things on social media. I guess that coach would keep kids from doing their spring sports' activities last year to do football stuff. That's a AIA violation: you can't make anything mandatory for a sport that is out-of-season. That school, inexplicably, hired KT to be head FB coach AND the athletic director . Guess he cussed out some of the other sport-coaches; and threatened the kids.
Everyone is calling him to be fired.
The school is backing him though, I guess the kids were threated by school staff to take their negative posts down about KT, or be suspended....and now THAT issue has gotten out. Its backfiring though, because the kids who moved to other schools are backing up the rumors/posts of their friends....

KID-SPORTS ARE TERRIBLE MAN !!!!

Anyway is other news: I donated a bunch of money to our school to buy those guardian-helmet caps you see they wear is practice now (NFL, NCAA, some HSs). No tax write off or anything.....you can't donate directly to an athletic department. I don't care. I figure if that saves one kid from a concussion its worth it.

...sure, I worry about my kid, and the team. But the return-to-play concussion protocols are pretty wild now. We barely have 24 kids and cannot afford for any players to miss games. Even if you are doing "non-hitting" stuff, the cap could help if a kid hits the ground and cushion a head from smashing into the turf. OR, say two helmets coming together smashing a finger (I have had the happen to me). OR a helmet to the shin. etc

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:35 am

9-25-2023

Not much to report.
Just FB practice, and him lifting on the weekends when he can.
He claims he is 165 now.
The other day, he squatted. I asked him how much.
He said he did 3x8 with 225. (he squats deep, no belt) ... and said he noticed his legs were getting stronger .... easier.
I guess we say he can do a 10RM with 225??? and that would put him around 300 1RM???
(say if he did a 4-6 low rep slow strength block of training)

Which brings me to this Matt Rhea article ....

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/contribu ... FuPw%3D%3D
For the past 4 years, David Ballou and I have been tracking strength, power, and speed among high school and college football players. Through technologies like the 1080 Sprint and Elite Form, data accumulation occurs on a broad scale in rapid fashion. One of our main questions has been how much strength is needed for maximum speed or is there a point at which further strength gains do not contribute to continued speed improvements? Strength to body weight ratio recommendations of 2.0 or even 2.5 are often suggested in our field as benchmarks for strength among athletes. With sufficient data, we can evaluate the relationship between maximum strength and speed.

Regression analysis of 4 years of data provides us with a clearer picture of this relationship, using parallel back squat 1RM as a measure of strength. When strength to body weight ratio is below 1.7, strength is included in the regression model (accounting for 24% of the variance in speed). Above 1.7x, it is not included. Power, as measured in a speed squat, split jump, and banded jump squats, is included in the regression model regardless of strength to body weight ratio. Power accounts for 28% of the variance in speed below 1.7x and 39% above 1.7x. It appears that the contribution of strength to speed is relatively low but does account for some of the variance in speed until the athlete can squat 1.7x their body weight. Above that, it appears to have no value as it relates to speed.
And also ....

(another article) :
My interest in speed development started over 20 years ago while working with a college football player that was incredibly fast (4.29 sec 40 yd) but fairly weak. He was wide receiver weighing 175 lbs with a back squat 1RM of 205 lbs.
Now maybe on the football field, having a big squat (and bench, and deadlift) might help in some blocking, tackling, collision situations ..... but speed wise? nope. Probably not going to make the boy (WR, SS, KR/PR) any faster or quicker..... and as a track athlete (100,200,400), I can probably say he might actually be strong enough.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:13 pm

9-29-2023

FB Game.

The other team sucked....it was 42-0 at half time.
Boy had a TD on a 30 yd jet-sweep-shovel-pass thingy.....3 or 4 other catches 65 yds.
Our coach did the right thing and pulled all the good players at the start of the 2nd half.

Next week will be more interesting....a better team.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 am

10-13-2023 Spring Break Week

So this happened:

This hit me hard .... because of the kids-sports theme to it.

Basically, a dad shot his son's youth football coach for lack of playing time.
Shaquille Latimore, 30, said the parent first confronted him several weeks ago. A feud ensued, and it ended with the parent shooting Latimore several times Tuesday night in front of the team of 9- and 10-year-olds.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... d1cab.html

It gets better: in the article, the coach who got shot said he didn't happen to have his own gun on him that day ... "its a rough neighborhood"....so he 'carries'... and then said he would have defended himself had he had his gun still on him.

Boy recently did:
Bench: 185x7?
Squat: 275x3

Two games left. We should win next Friday. Then play a really good team (so get killed) for the last game of the year.

============================

Track-wise: meets are already starting to schedule. I guess I am going to coach sprints again.

I made a spreadsheet with kids who were around 11 flat at 10th graders....and then followed their careers out to see where they would land at 12th grade. Wasn't good. Almost 75% go nowhere or get slower. Only about 25% get to solid sub 11 times (say 10.80's consistently)

============================

10-15-2023 Sun

He went to the track on his own with FLap.
best 20 yd fly was 1.87 (~2.04 20m)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:50 am

TRACK STUFF:

I did an analysis of 10th grade boys (in my state) who had previously run really low 11's (wind legal, FAT, etc)....and recorded how they progressed as 11th and 12th grades went by. Target was to see how common it was for the kids to get down to reliable sub 11 times ..... say 10.80 or 10.70.....get sub 11 nearly all of the time. And just not a fluke, or a wind aided 10.95 (+2.0) thing.

I went all the way back to 2011. Covid years got excluded (2019 kid get derailed by 2020, etc).

About 45 kids met my criteria. Holy shit it is not good at all. Only about 20% (if that) improve significantly. 15% washout. 20% get worse. The rest just kinda move sideways, or just barely improve a teeny tiny bit.

I looked at Texas for a bit, but did not do a spreadsheet like I did for my state. After several kids it was looking about the same.

-------------------------

I guess another way to "do it" is .... is to look at seniors who are reasonably fast, or take state finals, and then track backwards through time, but that don't seem right because of a heavy selection/outcome bias thing going on. This is what I started doing, but quickly stopped ....but maybe I need to follow through.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:12 pm

10-21-2023. Sat

I went the gym with him.
He incline pressed 155*5*3 ....nd then did a bunch of upper body stuff

Last night was a FB game against a crappy opponent. He had a 64 yd TD reception; a pick six (54yds); and a long 65 yd TD jet sweep thing that was called back due a non consequential block in back penalty.played only one half on offense

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:43 am

11-1-2023

FB season is over, no injuries thank god.
Last game we got blown out.
Our Region was the 2nd toughest in the conference. 4-5 record.
Boy had some of good plays here and there.

He's talking about not playing next year.
His decision, but I think he is just running his mouth ....he has a couple of good friends on the team.

--------------------------------------

In other news:
I guess I'm going to be the sprint coach again for Track. I am questioning the FB kids to see who isn't going to do a winter sport, and perhaps could train with us off season to prepare for track. Seems like 4-6 kids I could train along with the boy.

Funny, there was a big charter school down the street with a synthetic track I was thinking about calling to see if we could train there. We are in different divisions so I don't see why they would mind during the offseason. Maybe they'd charge a fee or something.
The public school system sucks to work with on something like this: a lot of red tape, cost, bureaucracy., etc.....So I was thinking
about hitting the charter school..... couldn't find the AD's email on their website, so I check who was registered as the track coach:
its Maurice fucking Greene. Funny enough, they have had no really fast kids since he's been there coaching.
I doubt we'd get on there.