Adding Different Log Classifications

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

Skid

Adding Different Log Classifications

Post by Skid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 am

I posted this in the Off topic section thread on logs as well.

With so many users logging now, and the fact that one must wade through 3-4 pages of logs to find their own log, I think there should be a classification of logs perhaps similar to the other site. You know, beginner logs, intermediate, general, competitive or something like that. A benefit is that people who don't know each other can maybe find someone with similar issues/ages/goals/etc. It's pretty hard to know what someone is up to just by the title of their log.

BTW - The redirect just logs me out...

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Adding Different Log Classifications

Post by Manveer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am

We discussed this in the early days of the site. Now that we have the training log overview page, it doesn’t seem necessary since it’s easy to find a specific log.

When you use the training log overview link from the top of the page you get logged out?

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 am

- Egyptian Methods (SSLP, SSOC, TM)
- Baker Methods (GGW, etc)
- Montana Methods (Hanley)
- Doctors Methods (BBM, Bridge)
- Jacked and Tan Methods (tryin to look good)
- Chaos and Disorder (doing your own thing)

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am

Manveer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am We discussed this in the early days of the site. Now that we have the training log overview page, it doesn’t seem necessary since it’s easy to find a specific log.

When you use the training log overview link from the top of the page you get logged out?
The training log overview doesn't provide any information on what a lifter is up to or how they classify themselves.

And yes, when I click on training overview it opens a new window where I am not logged in. I have to log in again to use it.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 am

Tags (powerlifting, weightlifting, intermediate, novice, etc.) were mentioned before as a good way to filter while not fragmenting everything into separate forums which inevitably leads to people either having their log in the "wrong" forum or having to start a new one when they become more advanced or change focus. I think there was just no way to implement it at the time, not sure if it's possible now since lots of new features have been added in the last couple of months.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 am

I’ve looked and don’t see a way to add tags in phpbb via an extension. If you guys know how, we can do that.

I don’t know why you’re getting logged out. That’s strange.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 am

Unless we all agree on definitions of terms, i.e. “intermediate/advanced/competitive,” there’s no point introducing log classifications.

The only consistent way would be weight classes or lift totals or wilks... all of which can change..... and can be sorted out with a single click on the Rankings Page.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 am

I personally prefer them all in one place. Most people seem to be on a different program now than they started, and it's generally pretty easy to see from the first post of a log if a lifter is novice/intermediate/advanced.

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm

cgeorg wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 am I personally prefer them all in one place. Most people seem to be on a different program now than they started, and it's generally pretty easy to see from the first post of a log if a lifter is novice/intermediate/advanced.
You've read everyone's log? /sarc

Can you state a reason for preferring them all in one place? If I want to look at several comp lifter's logs I have to wade through several pages of logs to find them, and I may be missing a few from people I don't even know. Just doesn't seem efficient to me.

Perhaps the user may be able to transport their log from different developmental stages as they mature as lifters?

As this site gets more popular which I believe it will, this idea might make more sense. I guess one can always look on the rankings page to see who are beginners and who are more advanced for now.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 pm

I've at least popped into most of them, yeah. I don't have a strong reason for liking them in the same place, I just always felt the "graduation" thing from novice forum to intermediate forum... divided groups on a forum that I used to use. When I'm at the gym, I am lifting alongside people that are way stronger than me and way weaker than me, doing similar programs or different ones. It builds a much better sense of community IMO than the "here we all are, doing the same thing" that stratified log forums have. And you'll still end up with situations like Derf pulling 300kg in a novice log.

I also tend to read logs more for entertainment and storytelling than programming review. Most people seem to post what they did in a workout, but not necessarily what the basis of their programming is, or why. I'll read the numbers and think "oo, that's strong" or "I remember when I was doing that" but I still can't honestly tell you what Cody's programming actually is, except that he seems to start blocks with 10s or 12s and end with testing 1RMs, dropping a couple reps every week, sometimes adding sets. Shit wait did I just figure it out?

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:14 pm

First off, the "Rankings" page (with direct links to each Log) and the "Overview" page sorted by username is brilliant. That helps a ton. Like let me see all the lighter weight, ~30-39 y/o lifters, like me. Pretty cool to be able to sort stuff like that so easily.

I wouldn't be opposed to separate classifications, but would their need to be some set of rules or Wilks score to get into a category or have it be more casual and let the user decide? And would you be able to leave or graduate your log into another category (or get demoted. :) ) Personally, I don't see a need for this separation, but I can see the benefit, too. I'm definitely not opposed to it.

Markthetwisted

Post by Markthetwisted » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Manveer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 am I’ve looked and don’t see a way to add tags in phpbb via an extension. If you guys know how, we can do that.

I also randomly get logged out when using browsing on my phone, but I've just assumed its my problem, not the site.

As for the logs, I prefer them in one place personally, and again I read them for the entertainment, as much as for plagiarising ideas for training.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Skid wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 am I posted this in the Off topic section thread on logs as well.

With so many users logging now, and the fact that one must wade through 3-4 pages of logs to find their own log,
What I do:
I go to to my profile page - one click
It shows that I post in a certain thread the most, which is my happens to be my log in my case - 2nd click.

edit: "most active" . . . in the bottom right hand corner of your profile page.
This is probably the most active thread for anyone. . . . their own log.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Except Niki. And Hanley.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Tags can work if there is a way to do it. I am not volunteering to move 170 logs into different sub forums. But yeah, you can sort in the rankings by Wilks, weight, age, total, whatever. There is also a direct link to the person’s log from there.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm

I also noticed you can change the title of your log. So john doe’s Texas Method log can get changed to John Doe’s 531 log. Of course the best title for a log will always be the erotic adventures of HP Lovecraft, which wasn’t very descriptive.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 pm

augeleven wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm I also noticed you can change the title of your log. So john doe’s Texas Method log can get changed to John Doe’s 531 log. Of course the best title for a log will always be the erotic adventures of HP Lovecraft, which wasn’t very descriptive.
Thanks for pointing that out!
I changed mine to be more "classified"....i.e. Olympic Lifts.

So if the all the powerlifters and/or competitors added that moniker in their title, would help.

You can edit that first post too, which is handy for PRs, current BW, etc... other usefuly stuff I'd imagine

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Manveer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 am I’ve looked and don’t see a way to add tags in phpbb via an extension. If you guys know how, we can do that.

I had this problem on my work browser. I was using http://exodusstrength.com to access the site - my login details were never saved, and using any of the tools at the top logged me out.

I no longer have this problem, because I now use https://exodus-strength.com to access the site. Login details are saved, the tools don't log me out. @skid, this might sort out your issue.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:36 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 pm
augeleven wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm I also noticed you can change the title of your log. So john doe’s Texas Method log can get changed to John Doe’s 531 log. Of course the best title for a log will always be the erotic adventures of HP Lovecraft, which wasn’t very descriptive.
Thanks for pointing that out!
I changed mine to be more "classified"....i.e. Olympic Lifts.

So if the all the powerlifters and/or competitors added that moniker in their title, would help.

You can edit that first post too, which is handy for PRs, current BW, etc... other usefuly stuff I'd imagine
How do I change the title of my log?

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 am

@AaronM Edit first post, change subject?