KarlM: It's all about the log.

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

cole

Re: KarlM: It's all about the log.

Post by cole » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:45 am

Hows prep going for the Rise of the Kilonator meet? I tried to register but sold out. plus its in golden which is too far from me anyway. im about to register for the 2022 staying alive tourney in ft collins this september. i just need to get permission from the wife bc its on my sons b-day! anyway, will be following and seeing how you plan for this one...

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:31 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:40 pm
KarlM wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:55 pm @MarkKO, thanks man! I’d really like to qualify for Usapl nationals before I move up to the masters 2 age category.
I'm guessing that's more than a fond hope?
Yeah, it's a major goal. Meet the qualifying total standard for Master's 1. I believe I'm stronger pound for pound at the lighter body weight, and given the change in weight classes, I believe the 75 kg division is a good one for me to shoot for. I'll know a lot more after my next meet.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:42 pm

cole wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:45 am Hows prep going for the Rise of the Kilonator meet? I tried to register but sold out. plus its in golden which is too far from me anyway. im about to register for the 2022 staying alive tourney in ft collins this september. i just need to get permission from the wife bc its on my sons b-day! anyway, will be following and seeing how you plan for this one...
Damn man, that would have been fun! Too bad it was sold out.

I'm doing something quite a bit different for this meet prep in that I'm copying Austin's programming that came up in one of the recent thread's a while back, really due to a suggestion by Hanely. I'm trying this so that I get more practice with heavy-ish singles while hopefully preventing accumulation of too much fatigue. However, I am circumventing actually using RPE, because I don't trust my perception of it well enough to make sure I don't overshoot. The consequences of overshooting are more dire than undershooting, in that one RPE 10 deadlift, for example, will ruin at least a week of training for me. It's better for me to use conservative training maxes, and convert all the RPEs into percentages based off that training max, then add a bit of weight to the training max every three week wave. Very conservative and very manageable, at least so far.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:54 pm

3/20/22

Weighted Chin-ups
+52.5 X 4 X 4

Cybex Arm Curl
70 X 15
80 X 11
80 X 10

Matrix Leg Extension
120 X 20
125 X 20
125 X 18

Matrix Seated Hamstring Curl
70 X 20
70 X 17
70 X 13

Didn't really like the machine arm curls, and that's because it forces an ROM that bothers my right shoulder. Weighted chins are starting to get challenging.

3/21/22

AMBW = 176.2 lbs

Squat
bar X 5
95 X 5
135 X 5
185 X 3
225 X 2
275 X 1
300 X 1
325 X 2, felt really good
290 X 3
270 X 4r X 3s

Comp. Bench
210 X 5 X 5

Cybex Chest Supported Row
180 X 16
180 X 13
180 X 12

Cybex Side Lateral Raise
95 X 20 X 3

This style of training seems to be working. Cautious optimism right now...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:12 pm

KarlM wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:31 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:40 pm
KarlM wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:55 pm @MarkKO, thanks man! I’d really like to qualify for Usapl nationals before I move up to the masters 2 age category.
I'm guessing that's more than a fond hope?
Yeah, it's a major goal. Meet the qualifying total standard for Master's 1. I believe I'm stronger pound for pound at the lighter body weight, and given the change in weight classes, I believe the 75 kg division is a good one for me to shoot for. I'll know a lot more after my next meet.
I need to start getting my head around the different masters brackets since I fit in one of them now.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:06 am

Karl, what year were you born? I'm 1972, so M2 as of January 1, 2022. Qualifying for M2 is much easier. I thought about doing the big meet in Vegas in June, but there aren't even any M2 90s registered. Kind of crazy. I might just be hunting DOTS in the gym.

BTW, M1 75s qualifying is a 385 DOTS. Definitely not a low bar, especially as you approach 50.

cole

Post by cole » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:39 am

KarlM wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:42 pm

I'm doing something quite a bit different for this meet prep in that I'm copying Austin's programming that came up in one of the recent thread's a while back, really due to a suggestion by Hanely. I'm trying this so that I get more practice with heavy-ish singles while hopefully preventing accumulation of too much fatigue. However, I am circumventing actually using RPE, because I don't trust my perception of it well enough to make sure I don't overshoot. The consequences of overshooting are more dire than undershooting, in that one RPE 10 deadlift, for example, will ruin at least a week of training for me. It's better for me to use conservative training maxes, and convert all the RPEs into percentages based off that training max, then add a bit of weight to the training max every three week wave. Very conservative and very manageable, at least so far.
Seems like you described me to a T. I dont know about one heavy single wrecking me, but certainly if i overdue a session it wrecks me for at least a week. i think you are right about conservative training maxes. ive decided finally to adopt that approach and do 3 week waves as well. you and @MattimusMaximus have that down!

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:16 am

cole wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:39 am
KarlM wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:42 pm

Seems like you described me to a T. I dont know about one heavy single wrecking me, but certainly if i overdue a session it wrecks me for at least a week. i think you are right about conservative training maxes. ive decided finally to adopt that approach and do 3 week waves as well. you and @MattimusMaximus have that down!
Using RPE is as brake rather than a throttle is a great approach. If your heavy single or top set really slows, then don't increase the training max. If it moves well, then you are good to keep progressing. If my top set moves fast, then I rate it @7.5. That bumps the TM/e1RM. It might actually be <7.5, but I don't worry about that. Small bumps in the TM add up over time.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:10 am

Good luck this weekend, @KarlM

BenM

Post by BenM » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:31 pm

Second this. Hope you crush it Karl!

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:40 am

@KarlM Checking in. Hope you are doing well.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:51 pm

Hello again! Sorry for the hiatus. With the prior site troubles, and a busy stint at work, I stopped checking in with the forum. I've still been training, and I've maintained my body weight at 175 lbs. My competition went well. I accomplished my goal of beating my best DOTS score, but all my lifts were lower than when I was at around 200 lbs. I'm currently prepping for a meet Oct. 15 in Phoenix AZ. I'll stay with my sister and my buddy Aaron (who I just handled at a meet in Wyoming of all places) will come out to handle me.

My son Ryan competed with Aaron in Wyoming. This was his third meet. He PRd everything, has all the CO state records for Teen 1, 67.5 kg, and is sitting 6th nationally. I'm going to take him to Teen Nationals in Myrtle Beach SC this spring. If I get around to it I'll upload my last meet lifts and Ryan's last meet lifts to the youtube and share here. He squatted 157.5 kg, benched 95 kg and deadlifted 190 kg, at about 147 lbs BW. His DOTS score is just a couple of points behind mine, so I expect him to leave me in the dust in the next couple of months!

Last couple days of training:

8/22/22

Powerlifting day.

Squat (H)
280 X 6 X 4

Comp. Bench (M)
195 X 6 X 4

I've sorted out my squat over the last couple of months. My stance is narrower and my toes are pointed out more. I'm more upright and I'm using my quads more out of the hole. The toes out thing nullifies my knee cave.

8/23/22

Bodybuilding day. AMBW 175.4 lbs.

DB Curls
40 X 16
37.5 X 14
37.5 X 12

DB Rows
80 X (12,12)
80 X (11, 11)
80 X (15, 15) (lawnmower style)

Cable Overhead Tricep Extensions
75 X 20
75 X 15
75 X 12

Cybex Side Lateral Raises
115 X 20 X 3

Turns out the hype for cable overhead tricep extensions is warranted. They feel great.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:58 pm

My current training split is:

Monday: Heavy Squat, Medium Comp. Bench
Tuesday: Bodybuilding (back, biceps, shoulders, triceps)
Thursday: Medium Squat, Heavy Comp. Bench, Heavy Deadlift (one top set), RDLs (three sets)
Friday: Bodybuilding (back, biceps, shoulders, triceps)
Saturday: Light CG Bench, Weighted Dips (high reps), shoulder stuff

This is a squat focused split. Deadlift is on maintenance while I commit to a long run of RDL work. I'm currently at 235 X 10 X 3 and they still feel pretty easy. I feel like I've not done a good enough job managing fatigue when I try to train both squat and deadlift with a lot of volume. Despite being told otherwise, I never did "adapt to the increased volume". So I'm trying this instead. So far squat is moving. So is bench. Deadlift, I'm not sure what it's deal is these days.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:52 am

Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you are happy with your meet and that your son is kicking ass. So great to be able to share this passion with one of your kids.

cole

Post by cole » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:59 am

nice job karl, i hope my boys get into a sport, and if its powerlifting i will be happy!

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am

KarlM wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:58 pm This is a squat focused split. Deadlift is on maintenance while I commit to a long run of RDL work. I'm currently at 235 X 10 X 3 and they still feel pretty easy. I feel like I've not done a good enough job managing fatigue when I try to train both squat and deadlift with a lot of volume. Despite being told otherwise, I never did "adapt to the increased volume". So I'm trying this instead. So far squat is moving. So is bench. Deadlift, I'm not sure what it's deal is these days.
Welcome back!

Been doing the same. I had a lengthy period of DL/bench only, during which I was front squatting, but circumstances changed in two ways - I spend half my time now away from home, in a place where I have to lift in a commercial gym that is really not conducive to deadlifting, and I became more interested in aesthetics again. Squatting has always been a good driver of hypertrophy for me; deadlifts not at all unless done from a deficit for high reps (fuck that). So I’ve been concentrating on squat/bench, with sporadic attempts at filling in with RDLs. I had a ton of trouble regaining my form on them, as I hadn’t done them in years, but an old, pre-batshit Rippetoe video was very helpful. I think I’ve got it down now and am looking forward to progressing them.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:21 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:52 am Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you are happy with your meet and that your son is kicking ass. So great to be able to share this passion with one of your kids.
Thanks John. Yeah, he's all in. It helps that it's made him jacked too. My main job is to keep him from overdoing it. Otherwise he'd max out every day.
cole wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:59 am nice job karl, i hope my boys get into a sport, and if its powerlifting i will be happy!
Ryan has been all over the map until powerlifting/bodybuilding. I'm glad he's found something that he really likes.
DCR wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am Been doing the same. I had a lengthy period of DL/bench only, during which I was front squatting, but circumstances changed in two ways - I spend half my time now away from home, in a place where I have to lift in a commercial gym that is really not conducive to deadlifting, and I became more interested in aesthetics again. Squatting has always been a good driver of hypertrophy for me; deadlifts not at all unless done from a deficit for high reps (fuck that). So I’ve been concentrating on squat/bench, with sporadic attempts at filling in with RDLs. I had a ton of trouble regaining my form on them, as I hadn’t done them in years, but an old, pre-batshit Rippetoe video was very helpful. I think I’ve got it down now and am looking forward to progressing them.
If I wasn't interested in powerlifting, I'd probably do SSB and RDLs, with some leg extensions and hamstring curls to hit most of the lower body.

I'll film my RDLs and post them. I should get some feedback on them, because they are so easy to cheat.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Ryan’s meet recap. Kilos for veterans, in Thermopolis Wyoming, August 13, 2022. Ryan went 7/9, totaling 442.5 kg, weighing in at 66.45 kg. He missed his third bench and his second deadlift. He lost his balance on his second deadlift. After that, I told him to repeat the weight, and that it moved well so all he had to do was execute. He insisted on going up in weight. I relented and he put in 190 kg. He moved it well but still bobbled at the top a bit. He got 2 white lights and was very happy. For his third bench, 100 kg was a stretch but at most we only left 2.5 kg on the table. Ryan qualified for teen nats, and importantly, his total was well over what he needs to qualify for the next weight class (75 kg).

Videos in next post
Last edited by KarlM on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Squats:

Bench:

Deadlifts:

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:08 pm

That is just awesome! He is definitely a powerlifter!