Age in sidebar?

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

thejosef

Age in sidebar?

Post by thejosef » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

I think it'd be nice to have a user's Age in the sidebar under the avatar, with an option in preferences to not show it if they would prefer to keep it a mystery. It's just a nice way to relate to someone's training when they are similar or close in age.

Also, a very minor thing, but I'm not sure we need to see the exact day of week, hour and minute a person signed up for the forum. :) It is nice to see the month/date/year though.

Both minor things.. Great job on the site gentlemen!

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Age in sidebar?

Post by TimK » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am

I agree that age would be a good thing to display.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 am

either sidebar, or a footer on every post.

The lifter could put whatever they want in there:
Age, sex, Sq/Bp/Dl . . . are all important to a degree.

Age . . . or "training age"

My training age is 5

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

I like it.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 am either sidebar, or a footer on every post.

The lifter could put whatever they want in there:
Age, sex, Sq/Bp/Dl . . . are all important to a degree.

Age . . . or "training age"

My training age is 5
Yeah but that's like 35 in dog years. Wait can I measure my bench in dog pounds?

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Age would be nice for me, as I'm old enough that it partly excuses my shitty lifts. But it seems unfair to people who are weak for other raisins.

How about a free-text field, called "excuses"?

I.e. someone who has a poor bench, despite being a man of middle years and adequate size and health, can list "long arms". Or "missing an arm" if that's the case, whatever.

quark

Post by quark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Allow one line of text as as signature.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:40 pm

cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm Age would be nice for me, as I'm old enough that it partly excuses my shitty lifts. But it seems unfair to people who are weak for other raisins.

I.e. someone who has a poor bench, despite being a man of middle years and adequate size and health, can list "long arms". Or "missing an arm" if that's the case, whatever.
Good idea. Maybe we can create a formula to calculate our handicap and include a handicap weighted total on the stats page.

ex.

long arms = +.1
kids under 2 = +.2
"low energy" = +.05
sleep apnea = +.3
alcoholism = +.2
low t = +.3
under 40 = -.1
. . . .

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm

iamsmu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:40 pm
cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm Age would be nice for me, as I'm old enough that it partly excuses my shitty lifts. But it seems unfair to people who are weak for other raisins.

Good idea. Maybe we can create a formula to calculate our handicap and include a handicap weighted total on the stats page.

ex.

long arms = +.1
kids under 2 = +.2
"low energy" = +.05
sleep apnea = +.3
alcoholism = +.2
low t = +.3
under 40 = -.1
. . . .
And that my friend is how you reawaken the horrors of the Geek Code. Which I note, has unsurprisingly zero content relevant to lifting, but helpfully identifiers for users of VMS, perl & USENET. Sweet lord, I'm back at Uni.

Could just add Age: X to the end of your location, as I have (for a short time).

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Shane wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm

ex.

long arms = +.1
kids under 2 = +.2
"low energy" = +.05
sleep apnea = +.3
alcoholism = +.2
low t = +.3
under 40 = -.1
. . . .
And that my friend is how you reawaken the horrors of the Geek Code. Which I note, has unsurprisingly zero content relevant to lifting, but helpfully identifiers for users of VMS, perl & USENET. Sweet lord, I'm back at Uni.

Could just add Age: X to the end of your location, as I have (for a short time).
Ha. This is so ahead of it's time, it's a brilliant reductio of the current alt-left. It prefigured intersectionality so beautifully, except now you are supposed to declare all the ways in which you are a victim rather than special and geek-beautiful. This gives you a magical power to silence anyone who disagrees with you . . . To avoid being microaggressed, we all need to wear labels identifying the various disorders, etc. that we have or don't have and the sacred pronouns that we find oh so important.

ex.

https://blog.apaonline.org/2018/03/20/n ... nferences/

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm

And just like that, I'm glad I don't spend much time around academia anymore. Although, if I were a student these days, I'd have so much fun muckraking the intersectionality believers

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 pm

iamsmu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:25 pm

ex.

long arms = +.1
kids under 2 = +.2
"low energy" = +.05
sleep apnea = +.3
alcoholism = +.2
low t = +.3
under 40 = -.1
. . . .

Ha. This is so ahead of it's time, it's a brilliant reductio of the current alt-left. It prefigured intersectionality so beautifully, except now you are supposed to declare all the ways in which you are a victim rather than special and geek-beautiful. This gives you a magical power to silence anyone who disagrees with you . . . To avoid being microaggressed, we all need to wear labels identifying the various disorders, etc. that we have or don't have and the sacred pronouns that we find oh so important.

ex.

https://blog.apaonline.org/2018/03/20/n ... nferences/

Jeez lady. I hope you put a trig+++++++ in your code block.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm

cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm How about a free-text field, called "excuses"?
My location is now "Don't Judge, I have long arms".

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 pm

cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm
cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm How about a free-text field, called "excuses"?
So gifted deadlifter then?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 am

Just so you all know, we discussed signatures when we were setting the site up. They end up tangibly affecting site performance when you're on the sort of hosting packages that we were considering (read: not expensive as fuck). We've actually already upgraded our package out of necessity and would have to migrate hosts if we needed to upgrade again.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 am

Like most things, information of a personal nature can be used in both positive and negative ways.

We aren’t asking folks to send us photo IDs or buy things from us so that we have personal information for a reason. Given some of the recent events in social media, I think it’s worthwhile to have some level of anonymity. Having a username here with other corroborating information are simply more data that some bot is going to harvest.

Just sayin’

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 am

mgil wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 am Like most things, information of a personal nature can be used in both positive and negative ways.

We aren’t asking folks to send us photo IDs or buy things from us so that we have personal information for a reason. Given some of the recent events in social media, I think it’s worthwhile to have some level of anonymity. Having a username here with other corroborating information are simply more data that some bot is going to harvest.

Just sayin’
+1. No one knows who I am, and I want to keep it that way. (⌐■_■)

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am

Shane wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 pm
cwd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm
So gifted deadlifter then?
My deadlift is unimpressive, but still my best lift.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 am
mgil wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:15 am Like most things, information of a personal nature can be used in both positive and negative ways.

Just sayin’
+1. No one knows who I am, and I want to keep it that way. (⌐■_■)
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

...and...and... I'm not nobody! :(

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 am

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 am I KNOW WHO YOU ARE
How do you know I didn't just hire someone to be my public persona? I'm an enigma!

But really, I don't know that an age identifier would have much value. If people want to know that they can check the rankings page, right?