Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Tommy1507

Re: Home Gym: Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

Post by Tommy1507 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks @Wilhelm

I already have two big rubber mats, that i use for deadlifts and rows. I never squatted on them, because i thought the concrete ground would be better because more stable. I should be able to adjust the bench to the right heightnwith the mat. Good idea!

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am

Tommy1507 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:57 am Bought a used rack for 300€. I think the price is okay, bc most shops have nothing in stock.
First workout felt a little bit weird. I have only 60cm space lengthwise available and the hooks take another 11cm from that.
Mine is 24" (so just slightly larger) but honestly it's mostly fine once you get used to it. The secret is to not pretend you can do more than one thing at a time really. I can sometimes mix bench inside with squats outside, but even then it's not ideal. But if you're just doing one thing, it's a fine amount of room once you get used to doing walkouts.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:50 am

Skander wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am once you get used to doing walkouts.

Yes that was awkward. Just two little baby steps. Big difference to a squat rack. And i think i'll have to stop to squat while facing the wall because the wall is to close. So facing the open, messy room without a mirror to check if the barbell is even on my shoulders is the next challenge.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:48 pm

Bump with an update from my garage zen gym:

Bought my stuff from Rogue this week and got everything in two days. Pretty cool. Since there aren’t any deals anticipated, might as well buy before shipping becomes a mess.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:49 pm

My space. =) Rogue monster rack, Ironmaster Super Bench Pro, Eleiko XF bumpers, American Barbell Olympic and Powerlifting Stainless bars, Rep urethane dumbbels #notbiased.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:04 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:01 am Dropping this off:

Legend Fitness is a little like Pioneer. They make good stuff in the USA for a reasonable price and have some awesome customization options.
Just getting ideas. This clear option must have been a past practice? I was told recently they won’t do this??
Why?

Looks nicer than rogues satin clear but should look the same right?

I asked rogue if they can send me a bare rack, no powder coat. They said no.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:06 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am Here's my set up.

R3 rack, mixed plates, plywood/stall mat platform.
I'd really like to redo the platform with the entire surface being stall mats. I don't do any olympic lifting and the plywood gets pretty slick.

Rogue flat bench with feet wrapped in Coban so it doesn't slip all over the plywood platform
Super sweet sound system with phone docking station (aka an outlet)
Crappy chrome bar, B&R, and ez curl
DIY plyo box (aka storage unit), pulling blocks, deadlift jack, curl rack that unfolds and locks into joist brackets on the wall
Assorted bumper plates, wife's wall ball, son's barbell (dowel with stall mat plates)

DIY dry erase PR board (sheet of glass painted white on the back)

View from the weight room is my frog room. Because I keep frogs. Because I'm a nerd.
Is that pipe nipple? 12”? How is it attacked? Plumbing flange?

45’s just sitting on floor?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:15 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:04 pm

Legend Fitness is a little like Pioneer. They make good stuff in the USA for a reasonable price and have some awesome customization options.
Just getting ideas. This clear option must have been a past practice? I was told recently they won’t do this??
Why?
Dunno. That post is almost 4 years old. Maybe no one was interested and/or they had QA/QC issues out in the wild?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 am

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:06 pm Is that pipe nipple? 12”? How is it attacked? Plumbing flange?

The nipples are 6", connected to floor flanges, yes. One of the few things I'd change is to actually use shorter nipples. I have this weird phobia/mental obsession that I'm going to bend over and drive my face into one of them while I'm picking up a 45.

The flanges are on a wall mounted 2x10, which is actually L-shaped. The bottom of the L is covered in stall matt so I don't have to be gentle while handling the 45's.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:17 am

broseph wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 am
Oldandfat wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:06 pm Is that pipe nipple? 12”? How is it attacked? Plumbing flange?

The nipples are 6", connected to floor flanges, yes. One of the few things I'd change is to actually use shorter nipples. I have this weird phobia/mental obsession that I'm going to bend over and drive my face into one of them while I'm picking up a 45.

The flanges are on a wall mounted 2x10, which is actually L-shaped. The bottom of the L is covered in stall matt so I don't have to be gentle while handling the 45's.
So the 45’s aren’t on nipples? Just sitting on the lower 2 x 10 “L”? 6” nipple would hold maybe 3 45’s.

Is the 2 x 10 flat on the wall or did you angle it slightly?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:19 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:17 am
broseph wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 am

So the 45’s aren’t on nipples? Just sitting on the lower 2 x 10 “L”? 6” nipple would hold maybe 3 45’s.

Is the 2 x 10 flat on the wall or did you angle it slightly?
No nipples for the 45's for exactly that reason. And they're at the bottom anyway, so leaning is easier/simpler.

Here's a couple pics of the top and bottom of the 2x10's:

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:30 pm

Is insulating your garage "gym" a little too ambitious for a 26 year old "man" with no money and no skills? Holy shit it's cold. I would have to rip out the drywall/board that's in there already, and since there is a room in the middle of the garage I would have to work around that too.....

edit: In general, I'd like to ask: what is some cheap shit in general that could a home gym/"office" space better?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:31 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:30 pm Is insulating your garage "gym" a little too ambitious for a 26 year old "man" with no money and no skills? Holy shit it's cold. I would have to rip out the drywall/board that's in there already, and since there is a room in the middle of the garage I would have to work around that too.....
Have you looked into having insulation blown in so you only have to patch the holes in the drywall?
edit: In general, I'd like to ask: what is some cheap shit in general that could a home gym/"office" space better?
https://conquer-14.creator-spring.com/l ... roduct=624

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:30 pm Is insulating your garage "gym" a little too ambitious for a 26 year old "man" with no money and no skills? Holy shit it's cold. I would have to rip out the drywall/board that's in there already, and since there is a room in the middle of the garage I would have to work around that too.....

Do you need it to be inside the wall cavity? You could Mail insulation panel inside the existing wall if you don’t mind looking at it

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:42 am

mgil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:15 pm

Why?
Dunno. That post is almost 4 years old. Maybe no one was interested and/or they had QA/QC issues out in the wild?
I saw a thread on the garage gyms FB group a few months ago where a bunch of people with clear coat racks were bitching about extensive visible rust formation underneath the clear coat. Can’t remember if it was legend specifically. Actually I think it was racks from multiple manufacturers. So maybe that’s why. Bummer because I always really liked that look.

Skander

Post by Skander » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:46 am

TimK wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:42 am
mgil wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:15 pm

Why?
I saw a thread on the garage gyms FB group a few months ago where a bunch of people with clear coat racks were bitching about extensive visible rust formation underneath the clear coat. Can’t remember if it was legend specifically. Actually I think it was racks from multiple manufacturers. So maybe that’s why. Bummer because I always really liked that look.
There's still some coming up recently, including from Sorinex. That involved it peeling off too. So it may just not be an easy process to do well. And yeah it's a really cool look.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:28 am

The process of getting paint to stick to bare metal is nontrivial. That’s why most of the time, like cars, you’ve got a galvanic dip, then primer, then paint, then clear. To achieve the look that the manufacturers wanted, they’d obviously have to skip the primer and paint, which are probably pretty good about sealing the metal.

On the other hand, makes you wonder what metal actually looks like as it ages under an opaque coating like paint.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am

I went a little crazy lately. Bought this Dynamic combo unit to replace my stand-alone GHD and RH:

Also picked up an Edge Fitness cambered spider bar and spotter arms, jcups, and another pullup bar crossmember for my Ultra Pro rack.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:26 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:06 am I went a little crazy lately. Bought this Dynamic combo unit to replace my stand-alone GHD and RH:

Also picked up an Edge Fitness cambered spider bar and spotter arms, jcups, and another pullup bar crossmember for my Ultra Pro rack.
God damn that looks awesome though, so much LB/PCT recovery and training in one unit.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:53 am

5hout wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:26 am

God damn that looks awesome though, so much LB/PCT recovery and training in one unit.
I've wanted a combo unit for a while, but they're either too expensive to justify or look like an efficient way to do 2 movements poorly. Just happened to find Dynamic selling this one used and was able to try before buying.