what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

PatrickDB
Have you read this study?

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by PatrickDB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm

platypus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:47 pm
PatrickDB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 am I've found a good sleep mask makes a bigger difference than melatonin. It's very hard to truly black out a room.
Any particular brand you like? I've used one of the ones they give out on airplanes and it was super annoying. But it was probably not a good sleep mask.
I bought one from some random seller on Amazon. The mask itself is fabric so it's soft and contours to your eye sockets (and doesn't let any light in).

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reminder Patrick, I've been meaning to experiment with a mask too. We have a couple (which we take travelling) but I've never actually used one.

We have a soft light on in our 3 year old's bedroom and a nightlight in the hallway so our bedroom is never completely dark....

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:33 am

Whey Protein - very helpful & convenient.

Fish Oil - I take it about 4-5 days a week (really, I should take it every day)

Discontinued supplements:

- Beta Alanine - not sure if it makes a difference
- BCAA's - what a fucking waste of money
- Creatine - I know it's heavily researched and widely recommended, but I have no idea if it does anything for me. I stopped taking it for about ~6 weeks now and haven't noticed anything.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 am

Mahendra wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:33 am Whey Protein - very helpful & convenient.

Fish Oil - I take it about 4-5 days a week (really, I should take it every day)

Discontinued supplements:

- Beta Alanine - not sure if it makes a difference
- BCAA's - what a fucking waste of money
- Creatine - I know it's heavily researched and widely recommended, but I have no idea if it does anything for me. I stopped taking it for about ~6 weeks now and haven't noticed anything.
+1 on Fish Oil, have to buy since I ran out of it. Beta Alanine helped greatly reduce my rest between sets when I was running The Bridge, not sure if it will work well on HPS.

I also take whey (it's food) and creatine. I believe I'm a high responder to creatine, from the first time I used it. Haven't been off of it for 4 weeks for such a long time that I don't really remember any differences now.

Haven't noticed a drop in performance after I quit taking BCAA pre-workout, so I guess it's a waste of $.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 am

Whey -- self-explanatory
Creatine -- I think this actually works, but I'm not totally sure
Vitamin D -- started this because I felt pretty run down in the afternoon all the time. Since taking it (anywhere between 2-4k IU), I've felt much better.

That's it at the moment. I used to take BCAA for some reason. Not sure if I'll try it again or not.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 am

Nikipedia wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 am @Mahendra @Murelli How and when do/did you guys take beta alanine? Anything to watch out for, such as meal or other supp timing?
For me it was like creatine with a caveat. I took whenever is more convenient but I split the dose in two (I believe I was taking 1.5g in the morning and 1.5g at night). You get less absorption if you take more than 2g in each serving, or something like that.

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

Nikipedia wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 am @Mahendra @Murelli How and when do/did you guys take beta alanine? Anything to watch out for, such as meal or other supp timing?
I took ~2g pre and post workout. I don't think there's anything to watch out for other than a tingly feeling you get throughout your body.

My old pre-workout supps were:

5g creatine
2g beta alanine
16oz of coffee

Now it's just coffee :)

quark

Post by quark » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Creatine: could help, no downside for me, cheap

Whey protein, with overnight oats and otherwise

Multivitamin

Preworkout: BCAAs (will likely stop when i run out), instant coffee and a banana

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 pm

first off, whey isn't a supplement, it's a food. fight me

I take creatine, beta alanine, HMB, BCAAs and Betaine pre and post training, and a caffeine pill pre training on top of my already heroin intake of coffees. I tried stopping all this and my lifts fell apart in short order so I started again.

Stopped ZMA/Melatonin, found them patchy at best for sleep aid. I sleep fine as long as I'm not disturbed by external sources and no pill seems to help with those anyway

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 pm

BenM wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:29 pm Thanks for the reminder Patrick, I've been meaning to experiment with a mask too. We have a couple (which we take travelling) but I've never actually used one.

We have a soft light on in our 3 year old's bedroom and a nightlight in the hallway so our bedroom is never completely dark....
Used it last night. Was lights out before 10:30, still had to get up to pee at 12am, 2am and 5am (FFS) but felt more groggy when I got up, as if I was in a deeper sleep, the Fitbit doesn't really reflect that (but I didn't expect it to). Gonna continue to use it and see. Like creatine, can't really see a downside, as it was comfortable enough that it didn't annoy me.

ch

Post by ch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

Melatonin seems to help me stay asleep more than it helps me fall asleep. The bad thing is it gives me a hangover that makes it tough to get out of bed.

PatrickDB

Post by PatrickDB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm

ch wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm Melatonin seems to help me stay asleep more than it helps me fall asleep. The bad thing is it gives me a hangover that makes it tough to get out of bed.
How much are you taking? (Pending followup remark: it's probably too much.)

ch

Post by ch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 pm

PatrickDB wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm How much are you taking? (Pending followup remark: it's probably too much.)
3mg. Whatever I got at Costco. (It doesn't affect my wife the same way.)

PatrickDB

Post by PatrickDB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm

ch wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 pm
PatrickDB wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:17 pm How much are you taking? (Pending followup remark: it's probably too much.)
3mg. Whatever I got at Costco. (It doesn't affect my wife the same way.)
You might consider lowering the dose to as little as 1/10th of this. See the "tempus fugit" section here:
https://www.gwern.net/Melatonin

ch

Post by ch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:41 pm

PatrickDB wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pmYou might consider lowering the dose to as little as 1/10th of this. See the "tempus fugit" section here:
https://www.gwern.net/Melatonin
Thanks. That's really informative. I'll try halving the pills I have for now.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Creatine - works a charm. Will never not use. Barring convincing cancer links or equivalent.
Citrulline Maleate - jury is out, apart from the turbo-chubby effect.
Whey
Caffeine

cole

Post by cole » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm

micronized creatine monohydrate - 5g daily (ON brand)
whey protein isolate (MyProtein unflavored) - about 75g a day.
caffeine

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 am

Mahendra wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:33 am - Creatine - I know it's heavily researched and widely recommended, but I have no idea if it does anything for me. I stopped taking it for about
Interesting. I've been taking creatine for many years now and I'm not that sure if I respond to it at all. But I don't want to pause it for testing purposes now, since I don't want to lose all of my gainz.

Also I can't eat whey protein on a regular basis. After thorough (4-6 weeks on/off, repeatedly) testing it seems that either cow milk proteins or IGF-1 causes strongly irritated skin mainly on my face/head, resulting in dandruff and pimples depending on the amount absorbed.
I try to avoid cow milk products in general when I cook myself. I don't mind small doses when I'm out.
For supplementation I resort to a vegan blend protein. Animal products/alternatives like egg white powder and beef protein are disgusting. The chocolate flavored vegan blend from MyProtein is okay.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 am

PatrickDB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 amIt's very hard to truly black out a room.
Rolladen >> blinds. Though at my house back in Florida I managed it pretty well with a heavy black blanket over a black-out curtain over blinds. When my parents visited my Dad slept until 10, thinking it was still 6.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 am

CeeKa wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 am
Mahendra wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:33 am - Creatine - I know it's heavily researched and widely recommended, but I have no idea if it does anything for me. I stopped taking it for about
Interesting. I've been taking creatine for many years now and I'm not that sure if I respond to it at all. But I don't want to pause it for testing purposes now, since I don't want to lose all of my gainz.

Also I can't eat whey protein on a regular basis. After thorough (4-6 weeks on/off, repeatedly) testing it seems that either cow milk proteins or IGF-1 causes strongly irritated skin mainly on my face/head, resulting in dandruff and pimples depending on the amount absorbed.
I try to avoid cow milk products in general when I cook myself. I don't mind small doses when I'm out.
For supplementation I resort to a vegan blend protein. Animal products/alternatives like egg white powder and beef protein are disgusting. The chocolate flavored vegan blend from MyProtein is okay.
I don't know how it is in your country, but are you consulting with an allergist/immunologist? Have you been through a desensitization therapy?

I'm assuming you already tried hydrolyzed whey.