Mahendra's Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

ithryn

Re: Mahendra's Log

Post by ithryn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 am

Geez man. Beastlet mode.

I'd love to do EMOM front squats. As long as I had somewhere to lay down afterwards.

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 am

ithryn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 am Geez man. Beastlet mode.

I'd love to do EMOM front squats. As long as I had somewhere to lay down afterwards.
Haha I'm trying...

EMOM front squats aren't so bad I suppose. They are a LOT better than sets of 8 on front squats which I did last cycle. Do not recommend.

____________________________________________________-

Good morning fellow lifters!

October 5th, 2017 - Thursday

HB Squat (Beltless) - 190x10x4
CGBP - Myo Reps - 147.5x12 @9; 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
Deadlift (Beltless) - 255x6x5
Chin Ups - Myo Reps
Dips
Dragon Flags

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ3kjx0Hd0y ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Solid workout this morning. I decided to add 1 more set to beltless deadlifts this week. I'll likely keep this steady for at least next week. For whatever reason, before I started to deadlift, I suddenly felt very sleepy. It passed by the time I started my work sets, but that was weird.

So far, I like this "train everything every day" routine that I've been doing.

I think that's all for now! I do hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers!

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 am

October 6th, 2017 - Friday

Front Squat (Beltless) - 170x3x10 EMOM
SG RDLs - 205x8x3
DB Bench (FU) - 60: 10, 10, 8
DB Incline- 50: 9, 8, 8
Chest Supported DB Rows: 40: 10, 10, 10
Seated Arnold Presses - 30: 10, 10
Abmat Crunches / DB Curls / Seated Dips Superset

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ6HoVPH46D ... ahendra.s_

Notes

For whatever reason, I didn't want to sleep last night. I was listening to music and I wanted to go out and party LOL... I didn't go out and party, but slept a bit later than I would have liked and woke up tired. That being said, this mornings session went really well. Front squats and SG RDLs went a lot better than on Tuesday - which probably makes sense given that Monday's session is a lot harder than Thursdays.

This volume / fat loss / caloric deficit / chasing abs block that I'm working on has been going well.

I think that's all for now. I do hope everyone has a fantastic day and a wonderful weekend! It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canadia land.

Cheers!

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 am

Good afternoon fellow lifters!

October 7th, 2017 - Saturday

Cardio - Air Bike - 50 minutes
Movie: LOTR - The Return of the King

October 9th, 2017 - Monday

LB Squat (Belt) - 227.5x8x5
Paused Bench - 155x6x4
Deadlift (Belt) - 300x6x4
Chin Ups / Dips Superset
Dragon Flags

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaCRFZZHn0C ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Solid workout yesterday. Letting emotions get the best of me with regards to training. Regardless, at least until I figure out my shit, I'll continue to do what I'm doing... as I always have been :)

October 10th, 2017 - Tuesday

Front Squat (Beltless) - 172.5x2x12 EMOM
RDLs - 205x8x3
TnG Bench - 150x10x2; 150x8
D. Incline - 50x8x3
Chest Supported DB Rows - 40x10x3
Unsupported Arnold Press - 30x8x2
Weighted abmat crunches
Dumbbell Curls / Seated Dips Superset

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaEjZpqH2J5 ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Better workout than yesterday's (mood wise), but I was a bit fatigued so I slightly dropped volume on front squats (2 reps EMOM for 12 sets rather than 3 reps EMOM for 10 sets). Given how I felt, I'm glad I did that.

I also dropped SGRDLs in favour of RDLs because as good as SGRDLs are, I couldn't stomach them today :)

I think that's all for now! I do hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Cheers!

MattimusMaximus

Post by MattimusMaximus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:55 pm

I understand these feelz too. I tend to overanalyze my training and overthink every detail and by the time training comes along I'm more exhausted from figuring out programming than I am from the actual workouts.

Whichever way you choose to go with training, just make sure it's enjoyable or else what's the point right? I was hating my training this past year but now I love it with new programming and new goals. Sometimes a refresh is needed :)

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am

MattimusMaximus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:55 pm I understand these feelz too. I tend to overanalyze my training and overthink every detail and by the time training comes along I'm more exhausted from figuring out programming than I am from the actual workouts.

Whichever way you choose to go with training, just make sure it's enjoyable or else what's the point right? I was hating my training this past year but now I love it with new programming and new goals. Sometimes a refresh is needed :)
Hey Matt! Glad to see you here!! :)

I completely agree on making training enjoyable... Maybe it's time I venture into a few new things, or introduce some new movements somehow.

October 11th, 2017 - Wednesday

Cardio - Air Bike - 40 minutes

This felt long and boring, unfortunately.

Have a wonderful day all!

Cheers!

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 am

Mahendra wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am Cardio - Air Bike - 40 minutes

The movie or the biking?

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 am
Mahendra wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am Cardio - Air Bike - 40 minutes

The movie or the biking?
The biking :) The movie is great... although I'm anxiously awaiting the fighting scenes. I just got to the part where Rohan's army made it to the encampment before they head to Gondor.

After I finish the LOTR trilogy, I think I'll watch The Hobbit Trilogy (Extended edition). I youtube'd a few clips from the extended version and it seems worthy of watching again...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am

As much as I like the books, and the LoTR movies, I despised the Hobbit films. Never even watched the third one.

Mahendra

Re:

Post by Mahendra » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am As much as I like the books, and the LoTR movies, I despised the Hobbit films. Never even watched the third one.
I agree... but I need something to keep me company on my rides to no where... :)

October 12th, 2017 - Thursday

HB Squat (Beltless) - 192.5x10x4
CGBP - 145: 10, 9, 8, 7
Deadlift (Beltless) - 260x6x5
Chin Ups / Dips Superset
Dragon Flags

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaJlmsyHceN ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Good session this morning, and a lot better compared to earlier this week. I think fatigue and hunger are catching up to me and messing with my head. That being said, training is still going well...

I'm on week 4 of this block, and I may consider a deload next week because I think I'm starting to feel a bit beat up. I managed to make it to 6 weeks during my last block before I deloaded.

I'm also considering a diet break for 2 weeks, but it seems that the data on taking a diet break is inconsistent. Hmmm...

I think that's all for now! I do hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Cheers!

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

Good morning wonderful lifters!

October 13th, 2017 - Friday

Front Squat (Beltless) - 175x2x12 EMOM
SG RDLs - 210x8x3
DB Bench (FU) - 60x9x3
DB Incline - 50x8x3
Standing Arnold Press - 30x9x2
Weighted abmat crunches
DB Curls / Seated Dips Superset

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaMNM6knUcM ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Great workout this morning, and my mood is a lot better compared to earlier this week. Although I complained about SGRDLs earlier, I did them again because I know that they are good for me... Maybe I just don't need to go as heavy.

I think that's all for now. I do hope that everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Cheers!

BenM

Post by BenM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm

No harm in taking a diet break if you feel you need it. I would have to dig it out but I’m sure I read a study recently where two groups of weight loss clients were compared over a time period and the ones that took a short diet break in the middle actually lost more weight...

It’s stressful on the body dieting for long periods especially training as hard as you do. You gotta periodise your nutrition just like your training, IMO!

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 am

BenM wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:11 pm No harm in taking a diet break if you feel you need it. I would have to dig it out but I’m sure I read a study recently where two groups of weight loss clients were compared over a time period and the ones that took a short diet break in the middle actually lost more weight...

It’s stressful on the body dieting for long periods especially training as hard as you do. You gotta periodise your nutrition just like your training, IMO!
I think I also came across the same (or similar) study regarding diet breaks. A lot of my nutritional information has come from Andy Morgan @ Rippedbody.com. I like his approach to things... (I think you're in the same FB group?)

Anyway, he recommends his clients take a diet at regular intervals based on their current BF %. For where I am, I think he recommends taking one every ~ 8 weeks. (I just finished 9 weeks of dieting). I don't necessarily feel crazy hunger pains, or have a desire to completely blow my diet for a day and over eat. I think I manage around ~1850 to 2000 calories per day and have been averaging ~1lbs a week weight loss.

That being said, I agree that dieting is stressful on the body, and I need to periodise it the way I periodise my training. I need to gives this some more thought. I'm planning a deload next week - maybe I can coincide that with a diet break.

October 16th, 2017 - Monday

LB Squat (Belt) - 230x8x5
Paused Bench - 157.5x6x4
Deadlift (Belt) - 305x6x4
Chin Ups / Dips Superset
Dragon Flags

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaT8XLenCwQ ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Great workout this morning, but tough! I'm on week 5 of this block. I made it to 6 weeks during my last block, but I'm now 4-5lbs lighter than I was at the end of the last block, and I started the 1st block eating in a surplus.

I also feel a lot better compared to how shitty I felt last week (i.e. wanting to quit life, stop squatting, etc.). I'm pretty sure the diet just has me moody.

Although I don't record it in this log (for now), RPE range for all of the main lifts are generally 7 - 7.5, and sometimes the last sets are 8. My last squat & deadlift sets were RPE 8.

Chin Ups & Dips were pitiful today :)

Cheers!

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah I'm in Andy's group, I'm definitely a fan of the way he does things. I've also heard Mike Israetel recommend similar stuff too - breaking weight loss into blocks rather than trying to do it all at once.

Great work on keeping the push going! You do so much volume it amazes me. Though I guess you're a little smaller than me (and probably more importantly, more advanced than me) so you might need it.

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

BenM wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm Yeah I'm in Andy's group, I'm definitely a fan of the way he does things. I've also heard Mike Israetel recommend similar stuff too - breaking weight loss into blocks rather than trying to do it all at once.

Great work on keeping the push going! You do so much volume it amazes me. Though I guess you're a little smaller than me (and probably more importantly, more advanced than me) so you might need it.
That's a mistake I made last year when I initially dropped ~40lbs. I should have broken that up into blocks. Regardless, perhaps next week I should look into a diet break. Sometimes when you feel this close to your goal, you just don't want to stop.

Regarding volume, I think I'm able to do it mainly because I'm small people. I believe that smaller lifers can tolerate (and need) a lot more volume than larger lifters. I'm trying small frequent doses to see where it gets me.

October 17th, 2017 - Tuesday

Front Squat (Beltless) - 180x2x12 EMOM
SGRDLs - 210x8x3
TnG Bench - 145x10; 145x8x2
DB Incline - 50x8x3
Abmat Crunches
Barbell Curls / Seated Dips Superset

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWhpoUHBRU ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Solid workout this morning. I'm usually pretty tired on Tuesday mornings for whatever reason, but I woke up fresh and ready to lift.

Seems like I've reached MRV on my "chest" as I've started to regress on reps.

On another note, my sister started going to the gym about 2 months ago and I gave her a program to use. She was mainly interested in fat loss and she achieved her goal. She messaged me this morning and said she wants to compete in a powerlifting meet next year... so that's pretty awesome. She's currently high bar squatting, benching, and deadlifting, but I'll help her learn how to low bar squat, and then work on comp bench and deadlifts.

I think that's all for now! I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Cheers!

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Great work man! I know what you mean about not wanting to stop. I extended my last cut a little longer than I planned for the same reason. This time round I'm planning on 4 weeks, no more. Hopefully I will stick to it.

Great work on your sister. That's really good! Funny, my sister messaged me for nutrition advice the other night too. She says she's only eating 600-700 calories a day (and has been tracking) and thinks she needs to eat more... WTF!!! And she has intolerances out the wazoo....

By the way, on the subject of meets, not sure if you're in the Eat, Train, Progress Facebook group but they are running a 'virtual' powerlifting meet in January. And it's free. If she's looking to dip a toe in the water, might be a good place to start... I'm certainly going to have a crack at it.

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Checking in here, I'm looking forward to following your log again.

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am

BenM wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm Great work man! I know what you mean about not wanting to stop. I extended my last cut a little longer than I planned for the same reason. This time round I'm planning on 4 weeks, no more. Hopefully I will stick to it.

Great work on your sister. That's really good! Funny, my sister messaged me for nutrition advice the other night too. She says she's only eating 600-700 calories a day (and has been tracking) and thinks she needs to eat more... WTF!!! And she has intolerances out the wazoo....

By the way, on the subject of meets, not sure if you're in the Eat, Train, Progress Facebook group but they are running a 'virtual' powerlifting meet in January. And it's free. If she's looking to dip a toe in the water, might be a good place to start... I'm certainly going to have a crack at it.
From what I've read, most people tend to take diet breaks when they psychologically can't handle it anymore, or they are stalling. So far (thankfully), I haven't experienced either. This is why I'm leaning towards not taking a break... but I'll still think about it. I mean, I do have my days where it feels tough, but that's with everything, right?

Yep I'm happy to see that she's been so consistent. She's a nurse and works 12 hour shifts in the 2 days, 2 nights, 4 days off format. Regardless, she makes it to the gym on a regular basis, which I'm really happy!

600-700 calories? That is wayyyyyyyyy too little... Glad that she contacted you though.

That's also a great idea about the virtual powerlifting meet. I'll definitely let her know.
acelticmonk wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm Checking in here, I'm looking forward to following your log again.
Howdy! Didn't know you were following along in the other forum. Glad to see you here :)

Good afternoon fellow lifters!

October 18th, 2017 - Wednesday

Cardio - Air Bike - 35 minutes
No Movie

I got yelled at for riding a bit too leisurely... so I had to up my pace... a lot. :)

October 19th, 2017 - Thursday

HB Squat (Beltless) - 195x10x4
CGBP - 145x8x4
Deadlift (Beltless) - 265x6x5
Chin Ups / Dips Superset
Dragon Flags

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bab3S41n61_ ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Good workout, but tough.

October 20th, 2017 - Friday

Front Squats (Beltless) - 185x2x12 EMOM
SGRDLs - 215x8x3
DB Bench (FU) - 60x9x3
DB Incline - 50x8x3
Abmat Crunches
DB Curls
Seated Dips

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeRb4iHLnQ ... ahendra.s_

Notes

Another solid workout. Looking forward to a deload next week. I managed to get through 5 weeks on this block while on a caloric deficit, so that's not so bad. (Last block I managed 6 weeks, but started my diet 2 weeks in).

On another note, I tried something different with my diet this week. Specifically, I've been eating a much larger breakfast & dinner, and having a very small snack for lunch. Today is my 5th day doing it, and it seems to be working well. I decided to try this because I love breakfast and dinner, but really don't like lunch because it's either reheated chicken or cold sandwiches.

Due to a much larger breakfast, I haven't felt hungry or wanted to eat anything large mid day. I find that a protein bar, or some cheese & crackers seems to help a lot until dinner.

Anywho... just thought I'd share.

That's all for now! I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

Cheers!

acelticmonk

Post by acelticmonk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Mahendra wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am
acelticmonk wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm Checking in here, I'm looking forward to following your log again.
Howdy! Didn't know you were following along in the other forum. Glad to see you here :)
I was probably quietly lurking :D

Mahendra

Post by Mahendra » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 am

October 21st, 2017 - Saturday

Cardio - Run - 5.6KM / 3.48 miles - 33:40

The weather was really nice on Saturday, which is rare for October... so I decided to go for a run :)

October 23rd, 2017 - Monday

Deload week...

LB Squat (Belt) - 230x5x3
Paused Bench - 157.5x4x3
Deadlift (Belt) - 305x3x3
Chin Ups / Dips Superset
Dragon Flags

Notes

Nice workout this morning. No video because I don't think anyone cares to see it. Interestingly, I never feel like I need to deload until I actually do. Everything felt heavy this morning (similarly to my last deload). The structure of my deload is as follows:
- Monday & Tuesday - Intensity at 100%; volume at 50%
- Thursday & Friday - Intensity at 50%; Volume at 50%

Cheers!