A baking thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Re: A baking thread

Post by hsilman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:14 am

brkriete wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:30 pm That shokupan looks good, I will have to try it.

I've been making simple basic bread the last couple weeks - just 1 tbsp each of yeast, sugar, salt, with two cups of water in a stand mixer with a dough hook then add 5 - 6 cups of flour and let the mixer run until it's the right consistency. Let rise, shape, bake. Kids and wife love it and it's only about 10 minutes of hands-on time.
I like a nice, simple bread. I've been making a lot of simpler loafs lately just to work on my consistency and kneading technique. I feel like over the years I make a lot of things once and then move on. By the time I come back to a recipe, it's been months and I basically have to start like I never did it before.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 am

I have no time, no counterspace, no desire to clean up a mess. So if I can do the whole thing in a bowl with minimum hands-on, that's the only way it's happening.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:13 am

brkriete wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 am I have no time, no counterspace, no desire to clean up a mess. So if I can do the whole thing in a bowl with minimum hands-on, that's the only way it's happening.
and here i am bought a whole new butcher-block kitchen island, stainless steel pans, new dish towels to polish said pans and a whole new organizing method in the kitchen to speed the mess up.
time is a tricky one. can't bike in the winter. can't pool party so fuck it bake and give away

James

Post by James » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 am

Made some brown sugar cookie bars Saturday. Which are just chocolate chip cookie bars without the chocolate chips because I didn't have any and was too lazy to go to the store just for chocolate chips.

I over baked them and they turned crunchy. Which is okay because I like crunchy.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:21 am

Idlehands wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:13 am
brkriete wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 am I have no time, no counterspace, no desire to clean up a mess. So if I can do the whole thing in a bowl with minimum hands-on, that's the only way it's happening.
and here i am bought a whole new butcher-block kitchen island, stainless steel pans, new dish towels to polish said pans and a whole new organizing method in the kitchen to speed the mess up.
time is a tricky one. can't bike in the winter. can't pool party so fuck it bake and give away
LOL...on rereading I didn't mean to sound like quite such a dick. With three kids, 2 of whom are hybrid learning, 1 of which is feral, plus dogs plus work plus trying to maintain some level of physical activity, etc, I wish I had the time and space to do more. My kitchen and everything in it is almost 50 years old and so badly overdue for a reno that I think we'll just be knocking it down and redoing it in the next 2 years.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 am

brkriete wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:21 am
Idlehands wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:13 am
LOL...on rereading I didn't mean to sound like quite such a dick. With three kids, 2 of whom are hybrid learning, 1 of which is feral, plus dogs plus work plus trying to maintain some level of physical activity, etc, I wish I had the time and space to do more. My kitchen and everything in it is almost 50 years old and so badly overdue for a reno that I think we'll just be knocking it down and redoing it in the next 2 years.
Think we're all busy ! Just to add to the measuring.
single parent
widower
work at home 12 hour days
kids 90% remote and needs help
also kid is ASD

my kitchen is decent so i think the next project is a hot tub cause it's been cold out

and since this is a baking thread buddy gave me a book from tartine so i'm making country bread today between meetings.

James

Post by James » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am

Going to make some over night no knead bread dough tonight if I can find the packets of yeast I know I have somewhere.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 am

James wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am Going to make some over night no knead bread dough tonight if I can find the packets of yeast I know I have somewhere.
well how did it go?
did pain o chocolat this weekend for my mothers birthday.

James

Post by James » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 am

Came out perfect. Nice and crunchy (crisp?) outside and soft inside. Ended up eating entirely too much with butter and honey right after it cooled a bit.

The recipe I used was the one from food wishes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27950 ... try-bread/

Want to make his braised short ribs next. Which is sort of like baking.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:38 am

James wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:23 am Came out perfect. Nice and crunchy (crisp?) outside and soft inside. Ended up eating entirely too much with butter and honey right after it cooled a bit.

The recipe I used was the one from food wishes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27950 ... try-bread/

Want to make his braised short ribs next. Which is sort of like baking.
no photos?!

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am

Made some Khachapuri, a Georgian bread dish a couple of days ago. I first had this at a great little Georgian restaurant in Dushanbe when I lived in Tajikistan in 2005-2006. A number of years later, I had it in NYC at a Georgian restaurant called Oda House in the East Village, and it was mindblowingly delicious. I don't know why it took me so long to make it a home, but it was super simple, and super great. The basic idea is you get an enriched dough, make a bread boat, bake it with a mix of cheese in the boat, and then crack an egg into the boat half through baking. The cheese mixture is equal parts feta, mozzarella and queso fresco. I also rolled up some of the cheese in the sides of bread to make a stuffed crust. It was rather decadent.

Recipe here:

https://nationalfoods.org/recipe/nation ... he%20World

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am

One egg per section? section being ~1 cup of flour? That's quite the ratio. that's a lot of bread/cheese for one egg haha.
Wow i'm starving

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:35 pm

Idlehands wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am One egg per section? section being ~1 cup of flour? That's quite the ratio. that's a lot of bread/cheese for one egg haha.
Wow i'm starving
Yeah. Basically per 1 cup of flour, its 1 egg, and 1.25 cups of cheese. There's a reason I said it was decadent.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:40 am

omaniphil wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:35 pm
Idlehands wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:54 am One egg per section? section being ~1 cup of flour? That's quite the ratio. that's a lot of bread/cheese for one egg haha.
Wow i'm starving
Yeah. Basically per 1 cup of flour, its 1 egg, and 1.25 cups of cheese. There's a reason I said it was decadent.
ahh
that's a serving? goddamn

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:58 am

Made this for Pi(e) day. A little early in the season for rhubarb and strawberries, and they could have been sweeter, but it turned out ok.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:24 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am Made some Khachapuri, a Georgian bread dish a couple of days ago. I first had this at a great little Georgian restaurant in Dushanbe when I lived in Tajikistan in 2005-2006. A number of years later, I had it in NYC at a Georgian restaurant called Oda House in the East Village, and it was mindblowingly delicious. I don't know why it took me so long to make it a home, but it was super simple, and super great. The basic idea is you get an enriched dough, make a bread boat, bake it with a mix of cheese in the boat, and then crack an egg into the boat half through baking. The cheese mixture is equal parts feta, mozzarella and queso fresco. I also rolled up some of the cheese in the sides of bread to make a stuffed crust. It was rather decadent.
That's so weird, we literally just had this for the first time last weekend. We went to a Georgian place just north of where you did called Chito Gvrita. Those things are delicious. I got the idea because we always walked by a Georgian restaurant going to concerts in Brooklyn, and the neon sign in the window is hilarious.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 am

made these the other night..... very good. i didn't have fresh thyme, so i just used dried in the dough. it's shortbread-y and works well served with peaches on top

FairFrank

Post by FairFrank » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:20 pm

omaniphil wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am Made some Khachapuri, a Georgian bread dish a couple of days ago. I first had this at a great little Georgian restaurant in Dushanbe when I lived in Tajikistan in 2005-2006. A number of years later, I had it in NYC at a Georgian restaurant called Oda House in the East Village, and it was mindblowingly delicious. I don't know why it took me so long to make it a home, but it was super simple, and super great. The basic idea is you get an enriched dough, make a bread boat, bake it with a mix of cheese in the boat, and then crack an egg into the boat half through baking. The cheese mixture is equal parts feta, mozzarella and queso fresco. I also rolled up some of the cheese in the sides of bread to make a stuffed crust. It was rather decadent.

Recipe here:

https://nationalfoods.org/recipe/nation ... he%20World
Wow! A classical one! I'm a fan of Georgian food and bakery too. Unfortunately, there is no Georgian place near me

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 pm

Any of you serious bakers use a stand mixer? Been making some bread here last couple weekends, if the trend continues will probably be looking into one, and wanted to solicit some recommendations.

Size - typical doughs are using about 500g flour - is a 4.5 qt unit enough, or should i go bigger?
Brand - obviously kitchenaid is the standard, but are other units adequate? Cuisinart’s looks nice at a moderate price point. Would stay away from names I haven’t heard of unless someone recommends otherwise.
Attachments/accessories - anything you find indispensable? I’d rather either do a task manually or by the right tool rather than buy something that does a half-assed job, but I don’t know the entirety of the attachment lineup for these units.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:38 am

PuddingFace wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 pm Any of you serious bakers use a stand mixer? Been making some bread here last couple weekends, if the trend continues will probably be looking into one, and wanted to solicit some recommendations.

Size - typical doughs are using about 500g flour - is a 4.5 qt unit enough, or should i go bigger?
Brand - obviously kitchenaid is the standard, but are other units adequate? Cuisinart’s looks nice at a moderate price point. Would stay away from names I haven’t heard of unless someone recommends otherwise.
Attachments/accessories - anything you find indispensable? I’d rather either do a task manually or by the right tool rather than buy something that does a half-assed job, but I don’t know the entirety of the attachment lineup for these units.
I have a 5qt kitchenaid artisan series that I sometimes use for bread. It's ok for dough, but 500g of flour would be about the most it could handle with the dough hook. Even with that, if I were to leave it on for 4-5 minutes, the motor would get pretty warm, and you start to notice some unpleasant smells. Have you tried no-knead bread? That stuff is amazing, and remarkably simple to make.