The Montana Method, or That thing Hanley's doing with those people.

Offering services? Make a post. Be clear and concise.

The administrators and moderators make no money from services offered here.

No warranties or guarantees made nor implied.

Moderators: mgil, Chebass88

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: The Montana Method, or That thing Hanley's doing with those people.

Post by Hanley » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 am

Alright y'all, I'll be starting up my version of "Group Training" in December.

There will be one option focused on Strength & Power and another bro-ish option focused on hypertrophy.

The Strength & Power option will have 2,3 and 4 session per week options.

The Hypertrophy option will have 3-6 session per week options and will focus on lower intensities and more classically bro-ish accessories.

Every month will feature a new program release that incorporates one or more new movements (to build the training toolkit) and will highlight features from various venerated program designs (a "curated" implementation from the best from the Programming Universe).

Reserve a space for the first release under "Programs" on my (skeletal) website: https://www.barbellhacks.com/

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks fantastic so far!!

I won't commit until i have a home gym and can afford to train 3-4 times per week, but still interested, what sort of equipment you would encourage acquiring access to for both options?

Obvs. except rack and bench.
Ok, bar and plates too.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Bliss wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm Looks fantastic so far!!

I won't commit until i have a home gym and can afford to train 3-4 times per week, but still interested, what sort of equipment you would encourage acquiring access to for both options?

Obvs. except rack and bench.
Ok, bar and plates too.
That's it. Bar + rack (with pullup bar preferably) + plates + bench.

I'll have a selection of exercise options for folks who have more equipment or train in a commercial gym (and have access to cable machines). Nice-to-have equipment would include a dumbells, and some sort of dip station.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I like it, Hanley!

Probably count me in for 3 days a week of getting swole. I need to stop thinking about this shit myself for a while (and back off the volume a bit)

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

BenM wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm I like it, Hanley!

I need to stop thinking about this shit myself for a while
Same. Really looking forward to this. Signed up for the Strength and Power -- assuming we'll get an email or something to specify which frequency we'd prefer?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:03 am

FredM wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am
BenM wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm I like it, Hanley!

I need to stop thinking about this shit myself for a while
Same. Really looking forward to this. Signed up for the Strength and Power -- assuming we'll get an email or something to specify which frequency we'd prefer?
Yup. I'll be touching base soon.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:48 pm

@Hanley, the site looks really good. Make sure to update the IG link to your new username.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:48 pm Hanley, the site looks really good. Make sure to update the IG link to your new username.
Oh shit, thanks.

I'll have actual content and free templates up soon.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 pm
mgil wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:48 pm Hanley, the site looks really good. Make sure to update the IG link to your new username.
Oh shit, thanks.

I'll have actual content and free templates up soon.
Do you have a rough timeline for when you’ll be able to accept new clients in the the group programming options?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:23 pm

alek wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pmDo you have a rough timeline for when you’ll be able to accept new clients in the the group programming options?
I'm going to change the format of "group programming".

I'm going to put together a library of about 20-25 templates (which will be available for free as well) and I'm going to offer a "coached/guided template" version. So, you can choose a template and go it alone, or choose to have me harass you for videos while also micro-managing your loads, session-volumes and accessories etc. I should have that new ready to go in 3-4 weeks.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:23 pm
alek wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pmDo you have a rough timeline for when you’ll be able to accept new clients in the the group programming options?
I'm going to put together a library of about 20-25 templates (which will be available for free as well) and I'm going to offer a "coached/guided template" version. I should have that new ready to go in 3-4 weeks.
I can't wait. Currently benching 4 times a week with 2-1 x 8-10 sets @85% monday, 5-4x8@70% tuesday, 3x5-6@80% thursday and 7-6x10@65% friday. I also do dips twice a week, and other triceps work the two other days.

Started doing this right when I started a cut after new year year. Have lost 5 kg from 90 to 85 kg and my e1RM has gone up from 100 to 105 (which is slightly down from an e1RM of 108 1.5 weeks ago). Probably the best bench results I've gotten relative to my diet ever, though I think some of that is just a realization of earlier gains since I've only recently start to feel like I'm getting a good "feel" for proper benching technique as opposed to following bench technique instruction.

I haven't figured a out a good 4 day solution for squats and deadlifts though, because I've tried to keep total systemic fatigue manageable while dieting, and have also opted out of doing squat/deadlift or squat/deadlift assistance as a third exercise if squat/deadlift+bench volume was high and I'm drained then. Which has left me with too low volume for squats, since I like having deadlifts first one-two day(s) of the week.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 am

perman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 amI haven't figured a out a good 4 day solution for squats and deadlifts though, because I've tried to keep total systemic fatigue manageable while dieting
It's a training cop-out, but have you considered doing hex bar deads while cutting? Having a single main knee/hip extension movement makes juggling stress/fatigue so much easier. Maybe whack quads with leg press and/or leg extensions?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 am
perman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 amI haven't figured a out a good 4 day solution for squats and deadlifts though, because I've tried to keep total systemic fatigue manageable while dieting
It's a training cop-out, but have you considered doing hex bar deads while cutting? Having a single main knee/hip extension movement makes juggling stress/fatigue so much easier. Maybe whack quads with leg press and/or leg extensions?
Is SGDL a good alternative to hex bar deads?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am
Is SGDL a good alternative to hex bar deads?
I think SGDLs are a superior movement in general.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:31 am

I'm going to put together a library of about 20-25 templates (which will be available for free as well) and I'm going to offer a "coached/guided template" version. So, you can choose a template and go it alone, or choose to have me harass you for videos while also micro-managing your loads, session-volumes and accessories etc. I should have that new ready to go in 3-4 weeks.
Thanks for the update.

perman

Post by perman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:50 pm

I train at a ridiculously bad gym for weightlifting now. It's more of a martial arts gym with weights in it, but any decent alternative either has expensive parking or is unacceptably far away. So no hex bar there...

Thanks for the suggestion though. My point is, I'm curious about your upcoming templates.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Neato. Looking forward to it.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Awesome! I'm really enjoying the MM, and would be super excited for some additional templates to rotate in and out. As I'll probably be ending my calorie deficit in a few weeks, would be perfect timing also!

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 am

I'm really looking froward to studying your templates, @Hanley .

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 am

slowmotion wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 am I'm really looking froward to studying your templates, @Hanley .
Seconded.
I'm finally getting around to working with the benching portion of the 2 week template, and am considering alternating somehow with the HVLF template.

You are sharing valuable stuff, Hanley, and it is bigly appreciated.