Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am Not sure what the Legend Performance Series is, but an open 6 post similar to what @mgil has would allow you to press & DL (I think?) inside the rack without height being an issue, so space is less of a concern.

Don't know how finicky you are about it, but I find the 1" hole spacing really nice since my upper body is weak sauce and having the bar in the right place to unrack bench is helpful for me.
I am 75% sure mgil HAS a Legend Performance Series Power Station, haha. I was hoping he would chime in and let me know if his feet are outside the posts when he benches- that would put my feet off the end of my platform.

I've been using 2" spacing for 10 years (possibly less, I can't remember how long after we bought our first house I bought my current rack) and haven't had a problem, but I've never used 1" so I don't know what I'm missing.

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:03 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 am OK, so I am looking at a "rest of my life" rack again, even though I probably won't actually order anything. Just want to get a feel for how much it might cost.

My current platform is 7' deep, 1" off the ground in the right front corner and 2" off the ground at the left front corner. So something like the R-6, that extends ~8' from the wall, wouldn't work.
I don't need weight storage, but I wouldn't complain about it.
Ideally, a multi-grip pull up bar near/off the front end would be good, so I could use it while benching.
Any more than 4' deep means I'll need to press & DL inside.

Right now, I'm looking at an R-3, with a multi-grip chin bar, and an extra set of uprights + hardware (they have an "R-3 Infinity rig add on, for... the same price as an R-3?). Comes to about $1,700. It's a little shallow, too, and I'd probably have to add strap safeties if I wanted to bench in the rear set of uprights, since I'm not sure I could angle the pins in with another set of uprights 24" in front of the middle ones.

Another option I have been looking at is the Legend Performance Series power station. I'd have to add a dip attachment and pro-style crossmember, but they also have a step-up attachment that I could get (since I am looking at plyo-boxes right now anyways). It even comes in brorange, my favorite color. Probably more expensive than my double Rogue, but I haven't requested a quote. No 1" hole spacing. Might not actually work anyways, because my feet might be off the platform when benching.

Other non-Titan ideas?
What's most important to you? Like, what do you want to upgrade over your current rack? Its like an R-3 clone, right?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 am

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:03 am What's most important to you? Like, what do you want to upgrade over your current rack? Its like an R-3 clone, right?
My rack wobbles. I want something more solid. Drop-in, strap, or heavier duty than pin/pipe safeties as an option someday would be nice (I could get Rogue strap for my current rack, yes). A multi-grip chin bar would be nice, I have rings if I wanted but different grips for pulls would be sweet. I like sticking with Rogue because I trust them and I already have an Infinity Matador, :lol:
Some color options would be good, but not 100% necessary.

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 am
My rack wobbles. I want something more solid. Drop-in, strap, or heavier duty than pin/pipe safeties as an option someday would be nice (I could get Rogue strap for my current rack, yes). A multi-grip chin bar would be nice, I have rings if I wanted but different grips for pulls would be sweet. I like sticking with Rogue because I trust them and I already have an Infinity Matador, :lol:
Some color options would be good, but not 100% necessary.
I wonder how much stability/solidity moving up to 3x3" uprights adds. My only experience is on my 2x3 rack in my garage and full commercial racks at the gyms I've been too. My 2x3 rack is pretty solid front-to-back (e.g. racking a squat) but will wobble side-to-side a little (e.g. adjusting a bar in the J-cups ). Most commercial racks are obviously rock solid. What I don't have experience with is a bolt together 3x3 (like Rogue RML or Monster). It seems like this would be more stable laterally, but not sure if its closer to an R-3 or a commercial rack in terms of stability. Just wondering if its worth upgrading to 3x3 in your situation (and mine, if I end up justifying upgrading my rack in the next couple years.)

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 am Right now, I'm looking at an R-3, with a multi-grip chin bar, and an extra set of uprights + hardware (they have an "R-3 Infinity rig add on, for... the same price as an R-3?). Comes to about $1,700. It's a little shallow, too, and I'd probably have to add strap safeties if I wanted to bench in the rear set of uprights, since I'm not sure I could angle the pins in with another set of uprights 24" in front of the middle ones.
Email them, give them your phone number and ask customer service to call you. For some reason they don't have individual 2x3 90 inch uprights or 2x3 crossmembers on the website but they do sell them. I kept trying to find an affordable way to extend my R3 and was very frustrated, I emailed them and they called me back to say they don't have those options on the site but they do sell them.
Pricing has probably changed but for reference in July 2017 I got a pair of uprights for $200 and a pair of crossmembers for $82. For a total of $282, much better than the price for the add-on. I also got the crossmembers cut down to 18 inches to save some space, I cant remember the price on that, but I do remember it was much cheaper than I was expecting. Just using 2 crossmembers at the top instead of 4 kept pricing down as well, probably wouldn't work as well if you're not bolting it down.
*Note: The way the holes line up my crossmembers are a couple inches lower on the addon section. Doesn't impact me at all. I think that could probably be avoided if your original R3 is a bolt together version.

Heres a pic so you can see the height difference of the crossmembers.

ETA: I looked back at my account order history, it looks like the the cost to have the crossmembers cut down was within the $82. That doesn't seem right but I cant see the charge for the customization.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 am
damufunman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 am Not sure what the Legend Performance Series is, but an open 6 post similar to what @mgil has would allow you to press & DL (I think?) inside the rack without height being an issue, so space is less of a concern.

Don't know how finicky you are about it, but I find the 1" hole spacing really nice since my upper body is weak sauce and having the bar in the right place to unrack bench is helpful for me.
I am 75% sure mgil HAS a Legend Performance Series Power Station, haha. I was hoping he would chime in and let me know if his feet are outside the posts when he benches- that would put my feet off the end of my platform.

I've been using 2" spacing for 10 years (possibly less, I can't remember how long after we bought our first house I bought my current rack) and haven't had a problem, but I've never used 1" so I don't know what I'm missing.
My feet are on the exterior of the rack while benching.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am I wonder how much stability/solidity moving up to 3x3" uprights adds. My only experience is on my 2x3 rack in my garage and full commercial racks at the gyms I've been too. My 2x3 rack is pretty solid front-to-back (e.g. racking a squat) but will wobble side-to-side a little (e.g. adjusting a bar in the J-cups ).
I don't want a Rogue 3x3, personally. I bumped the uprights too many times when I've used them to pay for one. Mine is laterally less stable because the only attachments are pull up bars on a single bolt per side in the front and back- the Rogue ones have plates with multiple bolts, so they are much more stable. I don't have any worry anything is going to happen (except when my Xfit friend insists on doing kipping in there, I'm worried the bolts won't hold it down, but if he tears it out he's the one falling down and building me a new platform), I've just had something decent for ~10 years, I figure it's time to get something NICE for the next 20.
Ragholmes wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am Email them. For some reason they don't have individual 2x3 90 inch uprights or 2x3 crossmembers on the website but they do sell them. I kept trying to find an affordable way to extend my R3 and was very frustrated, I emailed them and they called me back to say they don't have those options on the site but they do sell them.
I'd be bolting it down for sure. I figured I could call them and they could sell me a few of the pieces. That cuts the price down to around $1,400, which I wouldn't complain about!
mgil wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 am My feet are on the exterior of the rack while benching.
Boo. Short platform strikes again!

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:36 am

The best thing about 1" hole spacing is the ability it gives you to set the safeties just right for benching. I don't think I really care about 2" or 1" for anything else.

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am I don't want a Rogue 3x3, personally. I bumped the uprights too many times when I've used them to pay for one.
One option to consider: Rep Fitness now has a 3x3 RML competitor that has 47" outside width (same as an R-3).
https://garagegymlab.com/rep-fitness-pr ... k-release/
https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... 7794a6600b
You can get the 6-post version in colors for like $1250 with flip down safeties, sandwich J-cups, multigrip pullup bar, and plate storage. Color options and accessories all look reasonable too. That might be my front runner if I upgrade...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am

Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 am One option to consider: Rep Fitness now has a 3x3 RML competitor that has 47" outside width (same as an R-3).
You can get the 6-post version in colors for like $1250 with flip down safeties, sandwich J-cups, multigrip pullup bar, and plate storage. Color options and accessories all look reasonable too. That might be my front runner if I upgrade...
And a cable pulley! Hmmmmmm.... Can't find the full dimensions (looks like the weight storage is 16" deep, much better than the 24" of Rogue for someone space-challenged!) , or where their stuff is made, just that the HQ is in Colorado.

In theory, I could get the 30" depth and weight storage and still have a bit over a foot of space on the platform, or 1.5 ft with the 24" depth

Griff

Post by Griff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 am One option to consider: Rep Fitness now has a 3x3 RML competitor that has 47" outside width (same as an R-3).
And a cable pulley! Hmmmmmm.... Can't find the full dimensions, or where their stuff is made, just that the HQ is in Colorado.
Yeah, I priced out the whole thing with the pullup/low row station and it was like $1650 or something. With the 30" depth and plate storage (16") The rack would be 55"deepx47wx80/90h.

I'm almost positive all of Rep's stuff is made in China.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:16 pm

+16" for the plates on the back end. My platform is up against a wall.
Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:08 pm I'm almost positive all of Rep's stuff is made in China.
Boo.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm

https://www.garage-gyms.com/rep-fitness ... ck-review/

Pretty thourogh review.
The Rep is taller than the Rogue.
I believe all the pertinent dimensions are listed.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:20 am

My current rack is 30" ID, I think that's ideal, personally, enough room but still less space than the huge 48. If Rogue won't do a 30" depth cage, I might NEED to look at Rep. I guess I could probably live with a 24"...

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:08 pm I'm almost positive all of Rep's stuff is made in China.
Boo.
I'm 100% sure. Does that make you feel better?

They don't have any manufacturing operations in the US (or outside China). They like to advertise everything is "designed" in the USA.

That advertisement made me feel slightly better buying their FB 5000, lol.

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

FredM wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 am
Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Boo.
I'm 100% sure. Does that make you feel better?

They don't have any manufacturing operations in the US (or outside China). They like to advertise everything is "designed" in the USA.

That advertisement made me feel slightly better buying their FB 5000, lol.
FWIW, and not to derail this thread, "Made in USA" doesn't necessarily mean that the raw materials are American. I emailed American Barbell and asked if their bars, which are made in the USA, use American made steel. Rogue expressly says their steel is American.

AB emailed me back and said "all of our bars are made in the USA." That says to me imported steel. And just in the past week or two, AB raised the price of their Power Bar from $295 to $345. Chinese tariffs?

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:20 am My current rack is 30" ID, I think that's ideal, personally, enough room but still less space than the huge 48. If Rogue won't do a 30" depth cage, I might NEED to look at Rep. I guess I could probably live with a 24"...
Yes, that's easy. Contact customer service. You can piece together the rack how you want it. (Internally when you order a standard rack off their website, it's actually all the individual parts as line items anyways).

I ordered a RML-690, but substituted a bunch. I chose a 30in depth, straps instead of pin/pipe, sandwich instead of standard j-cups, and I think one of the pull up bars wasn't standard.

My sales order looked like this:

Code: Select all

(1)     RA0955-30     Monster Lite Strap Safety System 2.0 - 30in   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0516     Monster Lite Sandwich J-Cup Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RF0523     Rogue RML-690 Power Rack   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0201     Rogue 43" Fat/Skinny Pullup Bar   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(4)     RA0375     SP58 Plate Storage Pair - Long for Infinity & MLite   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(2)     RA0400     XML-24 Monster Lite 3x3x24 Crossmember Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(2)     RA0496     XML-30 Monster Lite 3x3x30 Crossmember Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(3)     RA0430     Monster Lite 90" Leg - Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0470     X-431 - 43" Single Skinny Pull-Up Bar   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0475     RML-6 Bolt Kit   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
I hear you too on the inside width on the Rogue 3x3 racks, hence why I did this:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2680
But obviously you should get the rack you want from the start.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am

I'm not quite to the point of seeking out exclusively American materials, as well.
Basically, the more local something is to me, the more "credit" I'll give it.
But I'm not going to buy something I don't want over something I want more just because it's all US.

Platform is
|------------84"------------------------|

Weight storage uprights need to be, what, 6" away from a wall?
Rep PR-4000:
|6"|3"|16"|3"|24"/30"|3"| so 55"/61"
R-3
|6|3|24|3|24|3| 63" (69" if they get me a 30" ID)

I feel like I could still DL/press on 23" since lots of yall are using 20" safeties. I don't know about a 24" interior depth, though.

I could potentially even turn the Rep around, put the chin bar in the weight storage portion:
|5|3|30|3|16|3|4*| 64"
*distance 45lb plates stick out from the uprights

Deadlifting on 20" wouldn't be so bad, and if I put the 45s on the bottom I'd have about 60" to press in. And that would put the chin bar outside the "cage" so I could use both things at the same time.

It looks like the PR-4000 is different than the one in the Garage Gym reviews, since it's only 90" tall and has 5/8 holes all the way through? I wonder if my Rogue Matador would fit it, then...
I could even add front foot extenders and spotter arms and a second set of hooks and run two bars, though the weight storage would get in the way a bit. All cheaper than the basic R-3+extra uprights...
throwinshapes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am I ordered a RML-690, but substituted a bunch. I chose a 30in depth, straps instead of pin/pipe, sandwich instead of standard j-cups, and I think one of the pull up bars wasn't standard.
Ooo, interesting.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am Weight storage uprights need to be, what, 6" away from a wall?
You need around 8" for standard 45s to clear, so depends on the offset of the storage post from the footer.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am
Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am Weight storage uprights need to be, what, 6" away from a wall?
You need around 8" for standard 45s to clear, so depends on the offset of the storage post from the footer.
Plus clearance room for your hand.
I can't remember the distance I went with, I don't think I measured it, I believe I used it for a bit and moved the rack around till I was comfortable with it before I bolted it down. I will measure it when I get home.