Novice program heresy?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: Novice program heresy?

Post by Hanley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am

JonA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 am Personal experience: when I spent too much time in hypertrophy zone (65-75% 1rm) my SVJ suffered.
WIld ass speculation: A big part of SVJ, (and other explosive movements) isn't just the contraction of the hams/glutes/quads, but relaxing the opposing muscles (Eg, hip flexors in the SVJ. Ever try stretching them good before an SVJ attempt? )

It seems to me that slower, high rep hypertrophy range training would allow the opposite effect. Eg, the hip flexors can remain 'activated' through the lift.
I dunno.

EMGs from (good) ballistic movements are mind-blowing.

There’s a very, very brief period of a lull in electrical activity in the agonists. Right before the massive contraction. I think it’s theorized that this “release” allows for a coordinated contraction.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am

Mahendra wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am When my lady was training SSLP, she hated how boring it was that it turned her off from lifting completely. When I try to get others to do SSLP, they give it up because it's only ~4-5 exercises and the same thing each session. They wanted some variety.

I'm no coach, so maybe my approach sucks. But I recently put my sister on a program that had more variety in it... and guess what... she's been training regularly and consistently, and has been making progress.
Probably comes down to individual personality differences. As I said above, I found it super motivating and enjoyable to set PR's every time I went in the gym and get better and better at a small number of lifts. If I was doing something different every time (or even now if I take that approach with accessory movements) I get frustrated because I'm not sure if I'm actually getting any better or if I'm just spinning my wheels.

Translation: some people like to train, some people just want to exercise.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am

In his presentation on personality and training, I think Mike T said that among long-time lifters there is a tendency to be OK with low variety (low on openness in the Big 5 test). Definitely not true for everyone though.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am

Manveer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am In his presentation on personality and training, I think Mike T said that among long-time lifters there is a tendency to be OK with low variety (low on openness in the Big 5 test). Definitely not true for everyone though.
The personality and the emerging strategies presentations were awesome.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 am

Cody wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am
Manveer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am In his presentation on personality and training, I think Mike T said that among long-time lifters there is a tendency to be OK with low variety (low on openness in the Big 5 test). Definitely not true for everyone though.
The personality and the emerging strategies presentations were awesome.
Agreed. I was thinking it would be interesting to poll everyone here and see if there's a difference from the general population. I suspect those of us that have showed up here have something in common that allows us to do basically the same shit week in and week out...

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am

Manveer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 amIt's an optimally designed program, though :D . He says it right here! https://startingstrength.com/article/the_novice_effect
Well, what in the hell would be the best way to get strong? Get as strong in 6 months as an optimally designed and implemented program could get you in three weeks? Time is precious, my friends, and wasting it is bad because you don’t ever get it back.
I forgot about this: https://startingstrength.com/article/th ... gth-method
The Starting Strength Method produces the fastest results that are possible to obtain, because the program is specifically designed to do precisely that. It has been engineered – tested, refined, and adjusted – for the specific applications encountered all across the broad range of human demographics. No other program in existence works as effectively and as efficiently, every time it is correctly applied, without exception.
https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1600307
manveer wrote:Where is the data showing that SS novice LP is more optimal than other novice programs?
*crickets*

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am

Variety is fun, but if I'm limited to 3-5 exercises in chasing larger numbers on the 'big three', then I'm fine with that, as long as I'm making progress. What will slaughter my motivation is low exercise variety combined with no progress. cough SSLP resets cough

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am

cwd wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 am
mgil wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 am There have also been several folks run non-novice programming from the start (like a 531 variant) and made nearly identical progress to an expected SS trainee over a longer period of time.
That’s because the avoided stalls and resets that put the focus of blame on the lifter.
(1) I ran Texas Method with a squat 5RM of 145 pounds. Then ran 5-3-1 for a few months with little to show for it.

This was because my problems weren't program-related, they were bad form and the resulting injuries. I needed a coach. I think most true novices need a coach to succeed. Particularly lifetime non-athletes like myself.

(2) A coach makes RPE for the novice lifter unnecessary. The coach picks the weight increases, using formal or informal RPE metrics, and the transition to a long-term program, etc. The lifter just does as (s)he's told. So SSLP for a properly coached novice is fine w/o RPE.

Also, true beginners can't rate RPE for shit.

(3) I was led astray by the SSBBT v2 book I bought. I thought I could do it w/o a coach. I think Rippetoe et. al. have realized their mistake and are pushing the coaching angle now. They are right.

(4) If SSBBT and PPST had included information about RPE, it would have been helpful for me in the transition to intermediate programming. Maybe I could have gotten decent at self-coaching in 3 years instead of 6. But I still would have needed a coach at the beginning.

PPST is not a self-help book for new intermediate lifters coaching themselves, which is what I wanted it to be. None of the program templates in that book work for an inexperienced lifter because they cannot gauge how much intensity/volume to pile on. If PPST were a self-help book, it would have RPE in it.
1) Absolutely correct that poor form needs to be addressed. But there is some humor in $t$t being a gold standard in teaching the slow lifts. I've seen excellent form from people who've never heard of SSBBT or Rip. Coaching is a good idea, but there is no guarantee hiring an SSC is better than other options that may be available.

2) Not necessarily. Is this lifter under constant coaching? If not, RPE is a good thing to have, specifically when a coach can be helpful in feeling this out. Constant coaching is an expensive proposition for something that is relatively simple. I wouldn't expect a true beginner to get RPE or "reps in the tank", but this concept is easily taught as well. I'd probably argue that teaching a pure novice about this concept from the beginning is not all that hard and fairly easy to understand.

3) Sure, a book like SSBBT is a "YMMV" situation.

4) The fact that Rip et al. are arguing against RPE except for some rare lifters and only advanced ones in the face of overwhelming data coming forth from the RTS camp tells me that RPE will never exist in his books. With that being said, Andy programs percentages that typically keep a lifter in the ~RPE 8 range.

The current pitch of $t$t to older clientele, non-athletes, and whatever the #voluntaryhardship crowd is about is probably better targeting for their message. But even then, if these individuals advance, is "learning to grind" (with high frequency) a step to success? No.

Point being, the novice effect domain is limited and does not have a unique optimization.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Savs wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:25 amKyle, you've obviously thought about these things a lot more than I have, since training is your livelihood. However, I believe the reason most people quit is because it just doesn't matter (for most people). JHFA worded it beautifully, I think. It's not that people don't want to do hard things, that's such StSt bullshit.
Yes and no. To be clear: it's effort vs reward. "It just doesn't matter" means that for that person the reward isn't great enough to be worth the effort. So in that sense you are right. But I think there's something more to it.

The point of physical training is to impose a stress on the system sufficient that the system adapts so that it's no longer a stress. If doing 10 pushups is a stress for someone, their body adapts so they can do 12 - it's not that the body wants to do 12, it just doesn't want 10 to be a stress. If we keep doing the same thing, there's no stress; if we progress the effort, there's stress. That feeling of "it's hard" is our body telling us, "this is a stress to which I will have to adapt so that it's no longer a stress.

I think we have an instinctive aversion to stress. A way back there was a British documentary series, "The Human Body" or something, it was called. Funny-looking guy, big bushy moustached, ruff of curly black hair, thick glasses. Anyway, he laid out this long string on the Serengeti plain for like a kilometre or something, and said, "for 100,000 years of human history, wanting to eat sugary fatty foods was a survival trait, for this bit of human history" - he pinched off a bit of string, "it's not." We have an instinct to want sugary fatty foods because back in caveman days when we got a gazelle every two weeks, there were two genetic traits.

Mr "I'll just have the salad." Didn't eat much, great abs, chicks all dug him. Then Mr "I'll eat the whole fucking thing, hoofs and brains, too." He was a bit pudgy, the chicks didn't dig him much. But then one time it wasn't two weeks between gazelles, it was six weeks. Mr Salad died, Mr Glutton didn't. The chicks preferred Mr Salad, but they couldn't fuck him and have babies with him because he was dead. Mr Glutton wasn't that attractive, but he was the only one left and a woman has needs, so he scored. Thus, gluttonous genes were passed on. This is why we like sugary fatty foods.

I believe it's similar with stressing our system. Ms Lazy under the tree was a slob and the guys didn't like her. Ms Action Girl liked running up hills and jumping and climbing trees and stuff. She had long, muscular legs and a perky butt, the guys loved her. But... one day Ms Action Girl runs up a hill and breaks her ankle. In the Stone Age that's a death sentence. So she dies, and doesn't pass on her Action Girl genes. Ms Lazy Slob ain't that hot, but you gotta do what you gotta do, boys, and beauty increases the further you take the cavegirl from the firelight.

If we didn't have an aversion to stressing our systems, we'd constantly injure ourselves. So we have a genetically-derived aversion to stress.

Of course, as humans we have something else - our reason. We can do hard things because we decide to do them. Gym, uni, getting married, whatever. But this takes willpower.
This has never been explained to my satisfaction. What's a base? Why not immediately do things to accomplish the goals most people want to achieve? Why try to convince them their goals are wrong and they should instead do powerlifting?
A "strength base" to my mind is getting through your novice linear progression - however far it takes you individually - and going to intermediate. Exactly how far along will depend on individuals and their goals - as I've said, you don't need to deadlift 405lbs for your health, but you might need to if you play rugby.

Gyms are full of people who have not developed that base, and who go straight to their other goals - and don't accomplish them. The vast majority of people in gyms are just spinning their wheels. Whatever other goals you have, they will be easier to accomplish if you have a base of strength. What is lacking in physical training is a systematic movement education. "First do this, then that." My son is in his first year of school - he's not doing times tables, he has to do counting first, then addition, and so on.

Dan John talks a lot about this, since his background is in coaching high school kids. And he believes in a different approach to SS, with things like going from planks to pushups to barbell bench press and so on; "when you can do this to our standard, then you can do that." This is present in SS as well - you deadlift for some weeks before doing a powerclean, ie you learn to do a slow hip hinge, and when you can do that decently you can try a fast hip hinge.

Fundamentally DJ and Rip have the same principles of a systematic education in lifting, the difference is simply that, as Rip has written, he was trying to catch new gym members "in their initial four workout window of attention before they quit", while DJ had the kids for four years, since school is compulsory. So Rip hurries things along.

But the principles are the same: "If you can do this, then you can do that." A systematic movement education. That's what's lacking in the general population and in gyms.

SS and similar approaches are not powerlifting,which is a competitive sport, they just happen to use many of the same tools. SS's purpose is cunningly hidden in its title: starting strength. It's not "starting powerlifting total." There are differences, for example arching in the bench - strength for everyday life and non-PL sports is not optimally developed with a posture you can only have after a 30 second setup on a bench with someone handing the bar off to you. So how we perform the bench for strength, and how we perform it to put the biggest numbers on the board, are different. And there are many other differences, too.

So I'm not trying to convince anyone to do powerlifting. I'm trying to convince them that physical training can change how you look, feel (health) and perform. Most people put looks first, performance second, and health dead last, which is why gyms are advertised with shirtless pics of people snatching a big weight, and not with their blood test results from their doctor. Putting looks over health is how people develop eating disorders, putting performance over health is how they keep injuring themselves to improve their Fran time.

I would reverse the priorities, putting health first, then performance, and looks last. And most people need to develop a base of strength to improve their health, bearing in mind that health is more than the absence of sickness, just as a good marriage is more than the absence of domestic violence.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:05 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 am This concept of novice programming and successful employment needs to be looked at analytically. Despite what has been published, the alternate stance hasn’t been assumed as to why other programs work similarly over a given period of time and why the rate of compliance for the LP is nothing special.
Some good points there, I just wanted to elaborate on this. Back on the SS forums I copped a lot of shit for saying, "I'd rather have a guy squat 100kg and do it for the rest of his life than squat 200kg and never lift again" or "I'd rather have 100 guys squat 100kg than 3 guys squat 200kg and 97 guys quit." So I have a lot of time and sympathy for what you're saying here.

Everything works if you spend enough time and effort on it, the question is what's optimal; as you implied, "compliance" is usually assumed, but I'll get to that. Taking your examples of people doing intermediate programming from day one getting the same results over time as those who did a novice LP, we could say for example,

Albert does novice LP for 3 months and then (say) HLM after that. He has a 100kg bench in 3 months, and a 140kg bench after 2 years.
Bob just starts with HLM and has a 60kg bench in 3 months and a 140kg bench after 2 years.

They have the same result after two years, but Albert was further along at the start. So which is better? We all know Rip's answer, but my question is: "Most people quit. Who is more likely to still be lifting in 2 years?" And really that is not answered in any study I know of.

We can reason that slow progress means a minimum of grindy sessions, requires less insane amounts of eating, and has a lower risk of the minor injuries that pop up. But slow progress can also make people impatient and bored and give up.

We can likewise reason that rapid gains at the start will draw the person in and make them addicted to the gym. But rapid progress comes to a rapid halt, which makes people scared and annoyed and requires insane eating and so on.

Really it's the tortoise and the hare. The difference is that we're not animals, so have more complex personalities and motivations. So this is where we come back to compliance. "Assuming compliance, what is the best programme?" is one question often argued. But "What programme would get the best compliance?" is less often asked or argued.

And that's an important question. Obviously however insane a programme is someone will do it, and however easy someone will quit. It's like the price vs volume of sales questions in business - what is the best compromise between achieving compliance and getting results?

I don't pretend to know the answer more generally. However, in my little gym I can only have at most about 24 people. That limits how much I have to compromise for compliance - even if 1,000 people wanted to come, I can't train 1,000 people. So I only need 20-24 compliant people out of thousands of possible members in my neighbourhood.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Chebass88 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:32 am I always got a kick out of this. Why is the rate of progress important? As I understand it, the Rippetoe Novice program gets a novice lifter to challenging weights relatively quickly. Okay, so beyond a few weeks, what’s the rush?
Because Rip thought that if they got quick progress they'd stay as paying members in his gym.

Seriously. He said so.

"It’s true that most people are lazy slobs, but if that lazy slob comes to your gym and you put him on a program that either doesn’t make anything about his fat lazy body change [...] you can hardly expect them to come back. [...] I have always tried to do my best at making something about their lazy slob bodies change in a positive way as quickly as possible, to catch their interest within that four-workout window of attention."

Rapid gainz is a sales technique. There are no "sixpack abs in 3 years" programmes on sale out there.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Sure rapid progress over the novice period is useful, but I still hold reservations against the length of time a trainee is held in that phase.

That’s where mixing things up and introducing smart accessories that the lifter can concurrently improve and set new goals with is useful.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Surprisingly, gaining weight to lift more weight, isn't attractive to many people.

JohnHanleyFanAccount

Post by JohnHanleyFanAccount » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm

KOTJ wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm Surprisingly, gaining weight to lift more weight, isn't attractive to many people.
I've been 145 at 5'9" before. Some people need to gain weight to lift more weight AND be attractive.

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Kyle, thanks for your long, thoughtful response. I agree that it's effort vs reward. I'm pushing back against the notion that we're better simply because we're doing this one thing that's hard, the notion that everyone that doesn't do it is lazy. Plenty of people do plenty of things that are hard. They don't do this thing we do because it's not worth it to them (and I'm talking about most people). That's what I mean by it doesn't matter. And you know what, I truly believe it doesn't matter. And I don't hate on people or look down on them if they do yoga or run or ride bikes or go on hikes or swim or sit on their asses day and night. I'm not better than they are because I lift weights and I'm not better than people who lift weights but don't strength train because I squat and deadlift.

As for the biological or evolutionary argument, that doesn't tell me why lifting weights in the way we lift them is better and is what everyone should do.

I disagree with you about the "strength base". If someone (completely untrained) tells you they need to be able to run a mile under some specific time a month from now, would you start them on squats, bench, and press 3x5 and deads 1x5 on Mon Wed Fri? What if an untrained person came to you and said they need to get good at pushups and pullups. Would you have them do SSLP because they need a "base"? I think it's arrogance, and other things, to tell everyone they need to enjoy and do the same things I do. I am not convinced everyone needs to do SSLP regardless of their goals.

Maybe I'm misinterpretting what you're saying. I'm tapping this out on my phone and haven't put a lot of time into reading and thinking about my response. I'm sorry if I'm misrepresenting what you're saying. I'll take another look at it tomorrow morning.

Also, Hanley, sorry for dragging you into this! I'm still not convinced but it's not so important to me, so I'm fine with dropping the discussion for now. Also, Gregory, thanks for your reply, too. My first response is to ask for references. :-)

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Savs wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm Kyle, thanks for your long, thoughtful response. I agree that it's effort vs reward. I'm pushing back against the notion that we're better simply because we're doing this one thing that's hard, the notion that everyone that doesn't do it is lazy. Plenty of people do plenty of things that are hard. They don't do this thing we do because it's not worth it to them (and I'm talking about most people). That's what I mean by it doesn't matter. And you know what, I truly believe it doesn't matter. And I don't hate on people or look down on them if they do yoga or run or ride bikes or go on hikes or swim or sit on their asses day and night. I'm not better than they are because I lift weights and I'm not better than people who lift weights but don't strength train because I squat and deadlift.

As for the biological or evolutionary argument, that doesn't tell me why lifting weights in the way we lift them is better and is what everyone should do.

I disagree with you about the "strength base". If someone (completely untrained) tells you they need to be able to run a mile under some specific time a month from now, would you start them on squats, bench, and press 3x5 and deads 1x5 on Mon Wed Fri? What if an untrained person came to you and said they need to get good at pushups and pullups. Would you have them do SSLP because they need a "base"? I think it's arrogance, and other things, to tell everyone they need to enjoy and do the same things I do. I am not convinced everyone needs to do SSLP regardless of their goals.

Maybe I'm misinterpretting what you're saying. I'm tapping this out on my phone and haven't put a lot of time into reading and thinking about my response. I'm sorry if I'm misrepresenting what you're saying. I'll take another look at it tomorrow morning.

Also, Hanley, sorry for dragging you into this! I'm still not convinced but it's not so important to me, so I'm fine with dropping the discussion for now. Also, Gregory, thanks for your reply, too. My first response is to ask for references. :-)
You are not a careful observer.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 pm Sure rapid progress over the novice period is useful, but I still hold reservations against the length of time a trainee is held in that phase.
Sure. I sell training in 13 week blocks. I try to organise things so that the novice LP is the first 3 months. Usually they're 80-90% as far as they could get if they went balls-to-the-wall-so-what-if-I-die on it. That extra 10-20% would require great food and sleep, and they tend to spend a lot of their work day slumped at their desk exhausted, and dreading coming into the gym - and if they know that's coming, they don't sign up for another term. So I let them know that the second 13 weeks will be some variation of HLM, and this is the time to introduce other stuff they'd like to do, whether it be the quick lifts, more cardio, focusing on diet, bringing up one of their weaker lifts, get their first chinup, or easing back from 3 to 2 sessions a week so they can spend more time on netball, or just bro out a bit and do some sets of 10 in bench and do curls.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Savs wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pmI disagree with you about the "strength base". If someone (completely untrained) tells you they need to be able to run a mile under some specific time a month from now, would you start them on squats, bench, and press 3x5 and deads 1x5 on Mon Wed Fri? What if an untrained person came to you and said they need to get good at pushups and pullups. Would you have them do SSLP because they need a "base"? I think it's arrogance, and other things, to tell everyone they need to enjoy and do the same things I do. I am not convinced everyone needs to do SSLP regardless of their goals.
The answer is "it depends". Sorry to go Dan John on you.

If it's a month for a mile run, well okay you just have to run. But what if the guy's got a lower back injury and is trying to join the Navy in 4 months, like one guy I had? Well, he needed to lift, because if the injury hindered him at all he couldn't get in. Yes, he also needed a cardio base, but it wasn't a very high one, like 6 on the beep test or something.

Not everyone needs to do SSLP (or similar) regardless of their goals. But a previously untrained person will find other physical goals easier to achieve if they build a strength base first.

I'm not sure if you realise how weak the general population is. In Australia, occupational health and safety guidelines in workplaces have various standards which are usually that 20kg (sometimes 16) or more must be lifted by two people and/or a trolley. That's the empty bar. And this is reasonable, since in a workplace of 1,000 people, the weakest of those 1,000 could in fact hurt themselves trying - I trained a produce manager, one of his staff had hurt her back moving a 5kg box of bananas.

To keep the weakest part of a workplace safe, they say that you need two people to lift an empty bar. Strength is like money, when you don't have any, a little bit will make a huge difference. Most people are broke.

GregoryDomnin

Post by GregoryDomnin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Savs wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm I disagree with you about the "strength base". If someone (completely untrained) tells you they need to be able to run a mile under some specific time a month from now, would you start them on squats, bench, and press 3x5 and deads 1x5 on Mon Wed Fri? What if an untrained person came to you and said they need to get good at pushups and pullups. Would you have them do SSLP because they need a "base"? I think it's arrogance, and other things, to tell everyone they need to enjoy and do the same things I do. I am not convinced everyone needs to do SSLP regardless of their goals.
As someone who has been in these shoes before, yes my current recommendation would be to do an LP of some kind to improve all of these things.

references for what? Typically you have to put two or three studies together to get to those conclusions, so it won't be easy.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:47 am

Kyle,

Why are you so obsessed in proving that most people don't need to go much further than squatting 120kg? N=1, but my life is much better squatting 140kg than 120kg, pressing 60kg than 50kg, and so on.

Most people that pay for a trainer do so because they don't have what's needed to do it on their own. Most people who would stick around for more than 2 months are able to do it alone without a trainer. You need to assess other things (marketing hooks, target population, incentives, etc.).

Interesting enough, some of these things were better discussed in another thread.