Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

TwoFoursStrohm

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am

dupe

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am Thanks Cody. You put them above Titan, I assume? I know you have been turned off from titan since that jhook snapped.
I had them above Titan BEFORE that incident, and for damn sure now.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Wow. Rep fitness iron 45s, $80 a pair.
Rogue was $105 last i checked.
Wish they had a decent SSB.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm

ahpowerlifts wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 pm I’m looking to get a new rack for my home gym, I’m looking at the Rogue RML-490 and the RM-4. Does anyone have opinions/experience to share on whether to go with the Monster light vs Monster rack? For assistance work I’m doing quite a bit of pin presses, pin squats and will be doing band work soon which is why I want a stable rack.
Legend is nice, for sure, but you will be waiting 6-12 weeks for a rack. May not matter to some. I got my red Rogue Monster rack in 10 days.

I've owned all 3 of the Rogue lines: Infinity, Monster Lite, Monster (gear junkie, checking in :) ). Monster Lite is the nice middle ground.. westside spacing (people love/hate this), reasonable priced accessories.. Max stability will really come from adding weights on the rack posts or bolting down to concrete. I have weights on my Monster RM-3 and it is a Tank. I don't have Westside spacing for bench anymore, but I'll live.

I will add the only thing that I hate about Rogue's 3x3 ML and Monster racks are they are just a bit too wide. You have to be pretty disciplined on your squat walkouts. Not a huge deal, but just dumb on their part. The 2x3 infinity (R3, R4, etc.) line gives you 2" more clearance. For this reason, I would probably look at Sorinex or Legend if I were in the market today.. though I am still PLENTY happy with my Rogue RM-3.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:14 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm Wow. Rep fitness iron 45s, $80 a pair.
Rogue was $105 last i checked.
Wish they had a decent SSB.
Before shipping, though, right?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 am

Yes, but Rogue has shipping too.
Would be good to know how those rates compare.

Up here in the boonies, i'm kind of screwed for buying used plates.
Craigslist is a wasteland with such a low population.
But i won't need to worry about that for a long while yet, as i can cram around 550 on the bar with what i have now.
I think that would fit.

Ok, power racks....
Last edited by Wilhelm on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 am Yes, but Rogue has shipping too.
Would be good to know how those rates compare.
True. I'm thinking about replacing a few of my 20kg (weigh almost exactly 45...) plates, and I wouldn't mind an incline bench while I'm at it.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

WTF?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am

Hahahaha

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Ordered the T-3 36" short rack from titan when they had $50 off deal. Too good to pass up. The Rep fitness rack just doesnt have the accessories I'd want. Anyhow.. Thursday I leave work early because it was raining and I didnt want the rack to be sitting in the rain. So I open up the box with the uprights inside and realize they sent the regular height version.

Email customer service immediately. Dont get response until 5pm the next day saying:
"Good Afternoon,

We can do return authorization for the regular sized uprights and place a replacement order to send out the correct uprights for the T3 Short Rack.

Thank you,

David"

I email back saying ok lets get it going, what do I need to do next? When is the thing going to be picked up? How am I going to box it up with the box having been ripped open? (box was wet and banged up anyway and would be barely usable for a return even if not opened)

Crickets.....

Still havent heard back from them. Maybe they're running around like chickens without their heads because of these impending tariffs. Its been 30+ hours. Might return everything i bought at this point. sandwich jcups, safety straps, monolift attachments.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:17 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:55 pm Ordered the T-3 36" short rack from titan when they had $50 off deal. Too good to pass up. The Rep fitness rack just doesnt have the accessories I'd want. Anyhow.. Thursday I leave work early because it was raining and I didnt want the rack to be sitting in the rain. So I open up the box with the uprights inside and realize they sent the regular height version.

Email customer service immediately. Dont get response until 5pm the next day saying:
"Good Afternoon,

We can do return authorization for the regular sized uprights and place a replacement order to send out the correct uprights for the T3 Short Rack.

Thank you,

David"

I email back saying ok lets get it going, what do I need to do next? When is the thing going to be picked up? How am I going to box it up with the box having been ripped open? (box was wet and banged up anyway and would be barely usable for a return even if not opened)

Crickets.....

Still havent heard back from them. Maybe they're running around like chickens without their heads because of these impending tariffs. Its been 30+ hours. Might return everything i bought at this point. sandwich jcups, safety straps, monolift attachments.
I've had much better luck calling them vs. emailing.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm

thanks @TimK
how is your bicep feeling?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:55 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm thanks @TimK
how is your bicep feeling?
Pretty good, just got the splint off on Wednesday and I can get close to full extension but not quite yet.

jake

Post by jake » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am

Does anyone have experience/opinions between a 24" rack v. a 36" rack? I don't currently squat or bench inside a rack (I have stands) but I'd like to get a rack eventually. Specifically looking at the Titan t-3 options. I'd also like to consolidate ft^2 if possible as I'll be moving spaces soon, which the 24" seems to achieve, but it seems kinda claustrophobic to me...

@TwoFoursStrohm did Titan ever resolve your issue?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 am

jake wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am Does anyone have experience/opinions between a 24" rack v. a 36" rack? I don't currently squat or bench inside a rack (I have stands) but I'd like to get a rack eventually. Specifically looking at the Titan t-3 options. I'd also like to consolidate ft^2 if possible as I'll be moving spaces soon, which the 24" seems to achieve, but it seems kinda claustrophobic to me...

At my old gym there were two racks, one was 25" deep and one was 33" I think. I used both of them and never really had any issues with the 25" one. If you think about it, your walkout is going to be pretty much the same so the only difference is more space behind you. Unless you have a really big walkout it's not an issue.

I was originally going to get a T3 with 36" depth, just because I wanted to use the plate storage posts on the back of it and that wouldn't work out very well with the 24" rack (the stored plates would bang in to the plates on the bar while you're lifting). However in the end I went with the X-2 with the 10" extension instead. The overall floorspace it takes up is two inches shallower than the 36" T3, I have four storage posts on each side to use, and the storage posts don't block the safeties which is something you have to take into consideration if you use them on the T3 with no extension.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

jake wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am Does anyone have experience/opinions between a 24" rack v. a 36" rack? I don't currently squat or bench inside a rack (I have stands) but I'd like to get a rack eventually. Specifically looking at the Titan t-3 options. I'd also like to consolidate ft^2 if possible as I'll be moving spaces soon, which the 24" seems to achieve, but it seems kinda claustrophobic to me...

Get a Rogue R3- bolt together with 30" depth and you'll be set. :D

Seriously, I've had 24" and 30" (both with Rogue). 24" is fine, great even for a tight home gym.. but I much prefer the 30" inside depth.. Anything bigger than 30 would be a waste of space for my small-ish home gym, though.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm

thejosef wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Get a Rogue R3- bolt together with 30" depth and you'll be set. :D

Seriously, I've had 24" and 30" (both with Rogue). 24" is fine, great even for a tight home gym.. but I much prefer the 30" inside depth.. Anything bigger than 30 would be a waste of space for my small-ish home gym, though.
One could also argue that the money on rogue is also wasted over the titan.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm

I will never recommend Titan. Too many serious QC issues. There's now a safety strap that's failed...

If you're on a budget, buy Rep Fitness. They're pretty damn honest folks and have a great quality: price ratio. They're my current "budget option" brand for benches and racks.

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... ower-racks

jake

Post by jake » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:41 pm

TimK wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:51 am

At my old gym there were two racks, one was 25" deep and one was 33" I think. I used both of them and never really had any issues with the 25" one. If you think about it, your walkout is going to be pretty much the same so the only difference is more space behind you. Unless you have a really big walkout it's not an issue.

I was originally going to get a T3 with 36" depth, just because I wanted to use the plate storage posts on the back of it and that wouldn't work out very well with the 24" rack (the stored plates would bang in to the plates on the bar while you're lifting). However in the end I went with the X-2 with the 10" extension instead. The overall floorspace it takes up is two inches shallower than the 36" T3, I have four storage posts on each side to use, and the storage posts don't block the safeties which is something you have to take into consideration if you use them on the T3 with no extension.
I missed the x2, thanks. I don't really see a reason to go with the t3 now, I probably won't accessorize and the x2 significantly less money.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Cody wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm I will never recommend Titan. Too many serious QC issues. There's now a safety strap that's failed...

If you're on a budget, buy Rep Fitness. They're pretty damn honest folks and have a great quality: price ratio. They're my current "budget option" brand for benches and racks.

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-equ ... ower-racks
I like them and I'm very happy with my adjustable bench but none of their racks were a good option for me. They don't offer anything comparable in functionality and price to the Titan racks. When you add the cost of shipping the gap is even wider. I think Titan is fine if you know what you're getting in to and willing to accept cosmetic defects and the possibility of waiting longer to get stuff replaced if there's something seriously wrong with it. I knew that was likely before ordering and I'm completely satisfied with how it all played out and the many hundreds of dollars I saved. If someone is really worried about the J-hooks you can order the sandwich ones as an add-on or order some from Rogue instead.