Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

RobUK

Re: Low bar sq form check 235x3

Post by RobUK » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 am

foodformyfoodhole wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 am
mgil wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 am
Savs wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:35 am
Is the motion depicted in the video proper form? The bar doesn't travel along a straight vertical path, and it seems the system COM gets above or behind the heel (at ~ 0:35). Maybe it's just a cue? Genuinely asking.
Yeah, looks like the COM gets well behind the heel near the bottom.
That's because it's impossible to keep your knee in the exact same location and have the exact same back back angle relative to the floor, and move the bar perfectly vertically...? Is it not? Unless your thighs change length in the sagittal plane (should your knees move out after you fix their forward position?), or the bar moves on your back. As you descend, the knee angle closes, butt moves backwards, and with the same floor/back angle, the bar moves backwards relative to the floor the same amount.
I am vaguely remembering a thread on SS where this was discussed and it was admitted that the back angle was going to have to increase slightly during the movement to compensate for the butt going backwards as the femurs get closer to parallel to the floor.

Edit - found it

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ncern.html

noviceLIfter

Re: Low bar sq form check 235x3

Post by noviceLIfter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Whoa. Surprised this thread was still active. I ended up seeing an SSC and there were a number of things wrong with my squat. Perhaps the biggest was that the bar was too far up--resting at the top of my rear delts instead of just below the spine of the scapula. Because the bar was in the wrong spot, everything else that followed was unsound as well. There were other issues, but the COM issue was an indication of a deeper problem.