Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

gtl

Re: Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Post by gtl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm Yeah, they've jacked the prices up again... Super expensive to do, would require tangible growth to make it a worthwhile expense. He's kicking the idea around right this second because the cost is way up over last time, and that was way up from the time before. I wouldn't fault him for making either choice.
I'm not an IPF competitor, nor am I a big spender comparatively speaking for Pioneer (3 belts in the household)

But, I don't think I'd do it. Call it principal, or whatever. But, I think what Matt is doing is awesome. They have great products, quality, customer service, etc. I doubt they are really "losing" a significant enough amount of business by not being IPF approved vs the trade off. Plus, you can still wear their belts at local/state meets.

Back when SBD knee sleeves started to become popular, people were buying a pair of mediums for training and a pair of smalls for competitions. Buy your treated leather/python/glam belt for 99% of your squats and buy a plain/inexpensive but IPF approved belt for your competitions if it's that big of a deal.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm

gtl wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm
Cody wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm Yeah, they've jacked the prices up again... Super expensive to do, would require tangible growth to make it a worthwhile expense. He's kicking the idea around right this second because the cost is way up over last time, and that was way up from the time before. I wouldn't fault him for making either choice.
I'm not an IPF competitor, nor am I a big spender comparatively speaking for Pioneer (3 belts in the household)

But, I don't think I'd do it. Call it principal, or whatever. But, I think what Matt is doing is awesome. They have great products, quality, customer service, etc. I doubt they are really "losing" a significant enough amount of business by not being IPF approved vs the trade off. Plus, you can still wear their belts at local/state meets.

Back when SBD knee sleeves started to become popular, people were buying a pair of mediums for training and a pair of smalls for competitions. Buy your treated leather/python/glam belt for 99% of your squats and buy a plain/inexpensive but IPF approved belt for your competitions if it's that big of a deal.
Yeah, I personally fucking hate the IPF on principle. That said, leaving some significant portion of business out of your market because the IPF leadership is a bunch of wankers isn't the best business practice.

The real question is will the expense for approval add not only enough extra sales to cover cost, but double or triple the number of sales it would take to cover the cost to make it worth the time and expense.

I don't know that anyone can accurately predict those numbers - it's a gamble. Could be a bust, could make him tons of cash. No telling.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm Yeah, I personally fucking hate the IPF on principle. That said, leaving some significant portion of business out of your market because the IPF leadership is a bunch of wankers isn't the best business practice.

The real question is will the expense for approval add not only enough extra sales to cover cost, but double or triple the number of sales it would take to cover the cost to make it worth the time and expense.

I don't know that anyone can accurately predict those numbers - it's a gamble. Could be a bust, could make him tons of cash. No telling.
Like you said, it's probably a gamble, with a lot of unknowns.

Say IPF annual fee $X - who knows what it will be the next year?

Do previous Pioneer belts get grandfathered in?

At what point is the market saturated? Again, Pioneer is awesome.. no question there, but how many ppl already have a belt they like (that don't need an IPF approved belt), how many ppl already have an IPF approved belt, how many people would purchase multiple belts, what does the growth of the sport look like, etc.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 pm

gtl wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm Say IPF annual fee $X - who knows what it will be the next year?
You're locked into a 4 year contract.
That question (among others) had been asked, waiting on reply. It's undoubtedly "yes" though.
At what point is the market saturated? Again, Pioneer is awesome.. no question there, but how many ppl already have a belt they like (that don't need an IPF approved belt), how many ppl already have an IPF approved belt, how many people would purchase multiple belts, what does the growth of the sport look like, etc.
Lots and lots of people buying belts. His company will grow again this year even without the IPF list. There is no doubt lots and lots of people without a pioneer belt that lift in the IPF would buy a pioneer belt. The challenge is predicting the number of people that would buy belts specifically because of the IPF approval over the next 4 years.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 pm
gtl wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm Say IPF annual fee $X - who knows what it will be the next year?
You're locked into a 4 year contract.
That question (among others) had been asked, waiting on reply. It's undoubtedly "yes" though.
Lots and lots of people buying belts. His company will grow again this year even without the IPF list. There is no doubt lots and lots of people without a pioneer belt that lift in the IPF would buy a pioneer belt. The challenge is predicting the number of people that would buy belts specifically because of the IPF approval over the next 4 years.
I think the IPF should just ask for a rev share model..we know what they're really after anyways lol

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 am

So... did I miss the giveaway?

I mentioned this thread to my wife, and she told me that Matt emailed her back within half an hour when she asked what the lead time for the gun/work belts were in December, because she does all her Christmas shopping at the last minute. She said he was very nice, but the backlog was into mid-Jan due to the Thanksgiving sale.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re:

Post by Cody » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 am So... did I miss the giveaway?

I mentioned this thread to my wife, and she told me that Matt emailed her back within half an hour when she asked what the lead time for the gun/work belts were in December, because she does all her Christmas shopping at the last minute. She said he was very nice, but the backlog was into mid-Jan due to the Thanksgiving sale.
Nah, it will be announced in a couple places like here and the misc forum, pioneer and Exodus Instagram, and run for a week or something. He's still working on early December, but as soon as we have the suede blank embroidered you'll hear about it. I just wanted to start the hype train!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh hell yes.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am

If they were ipf approved I would have bought one of their belts. That said my fed had been kicked out of the ipf, so....

Do you reckon pioneer would make me a set of leather Oly style straps?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 am

simonrest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am Do you reckon pioneer would make me a set of leather Oly style straps?
Yes, yes they will. I got them to copy the iron mind sew easy design for mine.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 am

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 am
simonrest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am Do you reckon pioneer would make me a set of leather Oly style straps?
In leather or fabric?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 am

simonrest wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 am
Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 am
In leather or fabric?
Leather. I have a pair of treated and untreated. I prefer the untreated - takes a week or two to break in, but feel more secure than treated which has a slight waxy feel on the smooth side I haven't figured out how to get rid of. I can grab a picture if you want.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 am

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 am
Leather. I have a pair of treated and untreated. I prefer the untreated - takes a week or two to break in, but feel more secure than treated which has a slight waxy feel on the smooth side I haven't figured out how to get rid of. I can grab a picture if you want.
Thanks Cody, if he's done them for you I could just ask for the same thing

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 am

Cody wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm Image
Oh man, that looks hot. I has a lust. I wouldn't be quite ready to actually buy one like that, because... well, lets give the forum a little longer, but it looks very, very nice.

Actually... getting the same thing lasered on a royal purple dyed belt, with black fade, gold buckle and just the circle and barbell lasered onto the buckle... $300, though.
Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 am Leather. I have a pair of treated and untreated. I prefer the untreated - takes a week or two to break in, but feel more secure than treated which has a slight waxy feel on the smooth side I haven't figured out how to get rid of. I can grab a picture if you want.
Belt sander?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 am Oh man, that looks hot. I wouldn't be quite ready to actually buy one like that, because... well, lets give the forum a little longer, but it looks very, very nice.
Dude, we're all in. The admins and many of the users here have put their money where their mouth is - the forum will be here for a long, long time to come.
Belt sander?
Already tried sanding, among a dozen other things.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 am

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 am Dude, we're all in. The admins and many of the users here have put their money where their mouth is - the forum will be here for a long, long time to come.
Hey, I got a shirt! And I still want booty shorts. But I thought the same thing about the crossfit forums before I got banned, and the same thing about the SS forums before I got banned... :lol:
I've been contemplating a new belt for a while, but if I'm going in for $300+ what should I put on it?
Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 am Already tried sanding, among a dozen other things.
Oh, wow. Well I suppose that speaks to the durability of the treatment- you can't even sand it off!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 amI've been contemplating a new belt for a while, but if I'm going in for $300+ what should I put on it?
I believe you severely overestimate the cost of an embroidered belt... $300+ is exotic territory. I would encourage you to actually build a belt on their site to get an idea of the cost.
Oh, wow. Well I suppose that speaks to the durability of the treatment- you can't even sand it off!
Haha! Yeah, it's not a coating or anything, they literally soak the leather in their solution. It's deeper than a surface level prep. I gave up on treated straps, lol! I think they're fine for lower weights, it's like past 450ish that they aren't as secure as untreated.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 am

Cody wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 am
Allentown wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 amI've been contemplating a new belt for a while, but if I'm going in for $300+ what should I put on it?
I believe you severely overestimate the cost of an embroidered belt... $300+ is exotic territory. I would encourage you to actually build a belt on their site to get an idea of the cost.
I did, I was looking at a 13mm lever, dyed, with fade and edging, laser engraved, gold lever. Came to, I think, $276, before potentially adding the circle/barbell/"E" from the Exodus logo to the lever.

I'd totally drop the ~$150 or whatever to get a 10/13mm single prong double suede with the exact Exodus thing on it, but there would be no way I could then explain to my wife why I need a 6.5mm single prong, my 13mm MSU-embroidered lever, an Exodus single prong, and a purple-dyed, faded, gold lever'd 13mm with laser etching. At best, I can talk her into letting me pay for one more belt, unless somehow both of the GL belts I already bought fail via some method that Matt wouldn't replace it for me.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 am

The belt giveaway is ON!!