DUNE movie trailer

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

GrainsAndGains

Re: DUNE movie trailer

Post by GrainsAndGains » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:19 am

Yeah, parts of Messiah and Children of Dune were written before Dune was finished. There's a TON of foreshadowing for Messiah in the first book.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:51 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 pm
hsilman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pmI disliked Dune
The book can be unnecessarily dense at times. Has a bunch of made up jargon (looking at the supplied dictionary in the back can get tedious)
It can help to have a working knowledge of Arabic.

I actually just grabbed the Arabic translation. It's gonna be weird to see how they handle his quasi Arabic. Muaddib is a pretty decent one, the Arabic just means "one who socializes someone into society, discipliner", they just kept the Arabic word intact. But lots of his other terms are just far enough from the actual meaning that it's gonna be interesting to see how they chose to handle that.

51M0N

Post by 51M0N » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Might give this a shot. While I can't say I have any strong memories of the book, Dune II was the first PC game that I ever played, so very fond memories of that.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:51 am

51M0N wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm Might give this a shot. While I can't say I have any strong memories of the book, Dune II was the first PC game that I ever played, so very fond memories of that.
The noble Atreides!

The evil Harkonnen!

The insidious Orkos!

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 am

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:23 am I didn't even take the time to actually name/remember the song, just knew it sounded familiar
Bruh that was Eclipse by Pink Floyd... ya know... off Dark Side of the Moon... ba dum tss...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:04 am

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 am
Wilhelm wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:23 am I didn't even take the time to actually name/remember the song, just knew it sounded familiar
Bruh that was Eclipse by Pink Floyd... ya know... off Dark Side of the Moon... ba dum tss...
And?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:39 am

We'll have to wait one more year for the Kwisatz Haderach
https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-rel ... ayed-2021/

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm

omaniphil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:39 am We'll have to wait one more year for the Kwisatz Haderach
https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-rel ... ayed-2021/
movie business weird in the modern day.

IIRC, the theaters were already having trouble even before C19.

#1- going to the movies (like, the big screen) isn't as popular with the younger generation ....that's the vibe I get.

#2- shit movies, plots, etc. Too many remakes of old movies, comics, books, etc.

#3- now the covaids

Its weird, because they'll all push back their release dates to when the theaters are fully operational (country-wide) again.
So will there be a huge glut of releases all at once .... competing with one another?

And then what? I'm sure a lull is coming right after that because right now I doubt if any filming is taking place because ... lockdowns and restrictions.
I'd laugh my fucking ass off if Hollywood et al would be trying to produce any movies right now with the Covid-is-plague-we-have-save-lives.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:53 pm

They've started filming again. There was a crew at Frank's Restaurant (old-timey diner frequently used as a location) a couple of weeks ago and there was another crew setting up where I work (they do this occasionally) a couple of days ago.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:08 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm I'd laugh my fucking ass off if Hollywood et al would be trying to produce any movies right now with the Covid-is-plague-we-have-save-lives.
Well get to laughin because it's been happening for a while now.

They've been filming the new Jurassic Park and pretty sure The Rock still posts set pictures on the gram from whatever he's doing...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 am

mouse wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:08 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm I'd laugh my fucking ass off if Hollywood et al would be trying to produce any movies right now with the Covid-is-plague-we-have-save-lives.
Well get to laughin because it's been happening for a while now.

They've been filming the new Jurassic Park and pretty sure The Rock still posts set pictures on the gram from whatever he's doing...
The movie Industry should be locked down:

1 - sooooo non-essential.

2 - Industry is mostly in California (see lockdown + "save lives" )
2a- flying all over the place to various filming sets/locations? spreading the plague all around? jeesh

3 - an industry that makes money off of people crammed into a closed/indoor environment?
...sitting next each other for 90-150 minutes at a time.

You'd have to do something like every 3rd seat, in every 2nd row to keep people "distanced" away from each other.
Given that its a closed environment for an extended period of time, "6 ft." should be doubled or something.
This isn't waiting in the casher line at the store or something.

Even if a given showing was 'sold' to only 30-40% capacity, going-to-the-movies is a social thing ... people want to sit next to eachother.
Sure, I saw Sicario 1 & 2 by myself because my wife didn't want to see that shit; and my kid's are way too young.
...point is: it would have to be a (potentially) real good movie for people to go see it in that context in groups (spread out all over the theater).

The movie industry should be more responsible about "saving lives."

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 am The movie industry should be more responsible about "saving lives."
The fun part is the industry is (probably) largely made up of professional shamers who were (probably) all about that lockdown life...

As long as you were the one who had to deal with it. Then it started hitting their pocketbooks and well...

https://deadline.com/2020/06/coronaviru ... 202973054/

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:02 am

Who saw it? I thought it was really good. Hard to not screw up actually.

Casting was good, but kind of a no brainer.

I wish I had never seen the original shitshow one .... only because I knew how everything was coming down the pipe (I did not read the book(s) )

Must see a theater.

I would've made the witch-ladies bald tho. (jk)

Also, how many of these are in the pipeline: 2 or 3 movies total?
(The fatties have already retaken the planet.)

Who is going to play sting's character? (lolz)

====================

I think that is the first in-theater movie I've seen since the beginning of the covid area .... I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater, or what it was. (I refuse to a newly released move on the TV at home.) I think my last movie was a Marvel P.O.S. or something....sad.
EDIT: JOKER ....joker was the last movie I saw in theaters (I think....pretty sure)
Last edited by mbasic on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:13 pm

I thought it ruled. Streamed it first, then went to see it in IMAX. If you have a true IMAX within driving distance in your area it's well worth it for the ornithopters alone.
Also, how many of these are in the pipeline: 2 or 3 movies total?
(The fatties have already retaken the planet.)
They're already greenlit Part 2, so that movie is definitely happening, the release date is October 20th, 2023. I assume they'll wait until seeing how the second one does before greenlighting a third movie. The director wants to make at least one more movie after that based on the second book in the series, which would make a pretty awesome trilogy and wrap up Paul's story nicely.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:09 pm

GrainsAndGains wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:13 pm I thought it ruled. Streamed it first, then went to see it in IMAX. If you have a true IMAX within driving distance in your area it's well worth it for the ornithopters alone.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 am

I really enjoyed it, another win for Villeneuve much like BR2049, Arrival and Sicario. Even if you're not a natural fan of Sci Fi/ Fantasy, the excellent cinematography, set design and music score are much better appreciated on the big screen. Admittedly poor storytelling and a strange lack of tension with the volume of the sound track being somewhat OTT at times in an attempt to be immersive.

The techno Mongolian throat singing when the Sardaukar are prepping for battle is simply amazing, it's how I would like a Warhammer 40k film to look. The 'wetness' of the scene reminded me of Prometheus as well.

I think in retrospect a one off series of hour-long episodes would probably do the Dune universe more justice, but at least it hasn't been condensed into a single film like David Lynch's baroque 80s effort.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:27 am

I'll see it if/when it comes to Netflix. Liked the book though.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 amThe techno Mongolian throat singing when the Sardaukar are prepping for battle is simply amazing, it's how I would like a Warhammer 40k film to look. The 'wetness' of the scene reminded me of Prometheus as well.
With very little explanation the movie convincingly communicated the elite nature of the Sardaukar.

As to using this as the basis for a Warhammer 40K film:

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Allentown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:27 am I'll see it if/when it comes to Netflix. Liked the book though.
HBO max isn't all that expensive and you can just get rid of it after you binge a month's worth of whatever you want...

Jus sayin...

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Some YouTube critics disliked the Dune score. I liked it's industrial/vibey "wash" which I thought suited the film perfectly. Others wanted a thematic (for each character, etc.) standard score like every other blockbuster.
The bagpipes in particular were a nice touch. Suited the ancient/future thang well.