2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mouse

Re: 2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm I would think it would be a good for an Independent to get in there.
Could be the best chance ever for an Indie really....
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and burst that bubble for ya right now. No way... the left/right thing is way too entrenched in our culture. It's a huge reason I don't vote anymore.

Another Trump term is an absolute lock.

TimF

Post by TimF » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm As much as I don't want to happen, Trump will probably win by the biggest landslide in history. His base has apotheosized him. I don't mean that to be hyperbole, from what I've seen he can no wrong in the eyes of his base.
Jan 1, 2020 I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. Now? I’m not so sure. Trump is flailing about trying to blame anyone but himself. Some of the GOP and generals are speaking out against him. The generals might be doing it for the right reasons, but my guess is the right is trying to distance themselves to stay relevant. After all they’re career politicians so they can see where the wind is blowing.

That being said, my dad today texted me to tell me not to move back to America in the fall. He said it’s a war zone, that Antifa has destroyed America, all the police are being defunded, and it’s pure anarchy.

Sigh. On the plus side, Trump didn’t win by much in 2016. I don’t think I’ll be back in time to register to vote so I guess I’m sitting this election out too. (We left in 2016 before the election.)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 am

Yeah, sure, Trump is an ineffective turd as a leader.
It would be best if he lost, or didn't even run .... hopefully a medical problem sets in or something.
(or he says that, as an excuse to drop out)

But then we will live through Joe Alzheimer Biden 2020-2024 .... and some more ridiculous shit will happen.

And we finally get an Indie in 2024

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:34 am

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm
hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm
LoudMuffin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm As much as I don't want to happen, Trump will probably win by the biggest landslide in history. His base has apotheosized him. I don't mean that to be hyperbole, from what I've seen he can no wrong in the eyes of his base.
Only Trump can do no wrong?

Biden raped an employee in the hallway. D's still voting for him. They're not even in denial. Ishan Omar said she believes Reid, voting Biden regardless.

With all the BLM going on Biden won't even admit his racist 94 crime bill was a mistake. Again, doesn't have to, his voters are as tenacious as Trump's.

Biden can do wrong to democrats.

Agree with the rest of your post. Im not optimistic for the future.
This is true (the Reade stuff excepted), but in fairness it's mainly due to Biden's opponent being who he is, not due to Biden being Biden. There is no Biden cult.

Omar is on an island re: Reade. I don't know of anyone else, publicly or privately, who believes her. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, only that outside of Omar, it's not an issue of people believing her but not caring. They don't believe her.
People believe her or don't believe her based on what?

Every one of us has a brain that lazily stays in automatic mode. We believe things that reinforce our baked-in conclusions and discount things that don't fit. This applies to you, me, and everybody reading this.

CoffeeBoy

Post by CoffeeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 am

This is the second election in a row where i sit in disbelief and dismay and think....this is the best we can do?

2016...2 crooked, self serving, dishonest to their soul individuals who would say ANYTHING to get elected.

2020...the incumbent is as insane and incompetent as ever, and the challenger is not only senile, but is also the antithesis of what liberals say they want...rich, old, and white...

Does Trump as POTUS have that much power where the Republican party can't just tell him to fuck off and they put up a better candidate?

The Dems base is supposed to be people of color and
young people. Is there not a legit candidate that represents the base better than Biden?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 am

CoffeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 am This is the second election in a row where i sit in disbelief and dismay and think....this is the best we can do?

2016...2 crooked, self serving, dishonest to their soul individuals who would say ANYTHING to get elected.

2020...the incumbent is as insane and incompetent as ever, and the challenger is not only senile, but is also the antithesis of what liberals say they want...rich, old, and white...
2000?, 2004?
Bush-Gore?
Wasn't this that spawned the Turd vs Douche south episode?

People thought Bush was an unbelievable caricature of some kind back then (as compared to Trump).
Does Trump as POTUS have that much power where the Republican party can't just tell him to fuck off and they put up a better candidate?
I think I asked this before.
Has there ever been a case where the incumbent was NOT just automatically chosen as that party's guy in the next election?

EDIT: I guess it happened twice back in the 1800's
That would be something.

Can Trump run as a Ind. if he doesn't get the nod from the R's?
Because then we are back to square one (maybe).

EDIT: this is all wrong
Last edited by mbasic on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 am

DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:34 am People believe her or don't believe her based on what?

Every one of us has a brain that lazily stays in automatic mode. We believe things that reinforce our baked-in conclusions and discount things that don't fit. This applies to you, me, and everybody reading this.
There’s been a significant amount of reporting on this.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 am
CoffeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 amDoes Trump as POTUS have that much power where the Republican party can't just tell him to fuck off and they put up a better candidate?
Has there ever been a case where the incumbent was NOT just automatically chosen as that party's guy in the next election?

That would be something.

You all aren’t under the impression that there are more than a handful of Rs who don’t like Trump, are you?

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 am

I can understand not voting for Biden; no fucking clue how anyone can vote for this absolute piece of shit.

That dude is 100% going to be harassed by DJT lovers for the rest of his life.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:34 am

I think there's going to be a massive Wilder effect.

Some of these ostensibly woke people who are virtue signaling via deaffiliating their crossfit box, or posting black out memes, are going to quietly pull the Trump lever once in the privacy of their voting box.

CoffeeBoy

Post by CoffeeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:43 am

DCR wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am
CoffeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 amDoes Trump as POTUS have that much power where the Republican party can't just tell him to fuck off and they put up a better candidate?

That would be something.

You all aren’t under the impression that there are more than a handful of Rs who don’t like Trump, are you?
I thought he burned every bridge he encountered during the election. I am shocked that the entire political body didn't put up roadblock after roadblock to get him to quit (cause that's what he does when he can't get what he wants)....obviously they are just using him to push through unpopular shit so when he is gone they can all disassociate themselves from him and pretend like they are gonna fix all the things he broke.

CoffeeBoy

Post by CoffeeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 am

CoffeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 am This is the second election in a row where i sit in disbelief and dismay and think....this is the best we can do?

2000?, 2004?
Bush-Gore?
Wasn't this that spawned the Turd vs Douche south episode?

People thought Bush was an unbelievable caricature of some kind back then (as compared to Trump).

That would be something.

EDIT: this is all wrong
Trump makes Bush Jr look like....well...Slick Willy, in terms of intelligence and charisma.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 am

1: I have been predicting a P. Trump win in 2020 since right after the 2016 election. I still think it is more likely than not, however the Coronapocalypse economic hit might be enough to overcome the fundamental failure of the Democratic Party to learn any lessons from the 2016 election. They seem to be running the same exact playbook, but with HRC swapped out for a less divisive candidate. This might be enough for them to win, but if the economy improves I'm not sure.

2: Biden polls extremely well, he's the kind of candidate people live to say "Yes, I will vote for him come the election". The question is: Will people actually show up? I see a lot of people being motivated by hatred of P. Trump, but if Biden is polling as a "sure thing" and also failing to actually proactively drive turn-out on the basis of like for him vs hatred for P. Trump. We saw this with the 2016 election, and I think it could be a more pronounced issue this time around. Specifically, because Biden is less divisive than HRC will people be more inclined to support him as a likely voter and not actually vote than they were in the polls during 2016?

3: At some point Biden will get on a stage with P. Trump and have a debate. Maybe just one, and maybe it will change no minds. Biden has been... erratic in live situations (of course so has P. Trump). If we get a "ain't black" or CornPops or Leg Hair story during the start of the debate (when people are paying attention) I think we could see a lot of people get turned off.

4: Elections are about hammering issues that drive turnout for your side, while not driving turn out for the other side and about issues that mitigate for the other side and don't drive mitigate your own turnout (and both sides are doing this). I think P. Trump's primary issue is he might be driving high D turnout. I think Biden's primary issue is that he might be driving low D turnout.

5: Biden wins if he can re-capture the blue collar Midwest vote that Hilb0t lost, if P. Trump regains this (current polling strongly hints he lost this group) he wins. PA, FL, MI, WI, OH are the only states that matter. Any issue that plays poorly in these states should have a "STAY THE FUCK AWAY" sticker slapped on it. However, this could be an issue, because a lot of D party staffers are going really be pushing bi-coastal issues. Hilb0t ran the campaign she wanted to and talked about the issues she wanted to, she also lost. If Biden gives into progressive staffers and run as Cali/NY/Prog campaign he'll win the popular vote by a record amount, for someone losing the electoral college.

6: Biden will set a record for most popular vote (by amount and %) by an electoral college loser.

7: The DNC will continue to pretend that it's the responsibility of the voters to be better humans, not the responsibility of the party/candidate to cater to the voters.

8: When Biden jumped in the race I said "Please no". He was riding a high, on Parks and Rec, lots of love for P. Obama, he was seen as a lovable grandpa with a tragic backstory. He's a gaffe machine, he's always been a gaffe machine. It was funny when he was in the Senate, exasperating and hilarious as VP. As a primary candidate it was troubling. As a presidential candidate it could be brutal. Coronapocalypse might, possibly, save Biden if it shifts the campaign away from live events and stump speeches and the wild into a more controlled, remote campaign. I don't know if Biden gaffes are going to move anyone from D to R or R to D, but they might be enough to make D/I voters become depressed enough to stay home.

9: Traditionally Law and Order issues strongly favor Republicans. L&O moves white college educated women. Biden currently has record high polling among this group. If this election becomes about L&O does this group run back to R party, or has this group become so progressive that this L&O association is being broken? Based on my facebook I would be inclined to think it has been broken, the white college educated Midwestern mothers with small children on my facebook are universally supporting Biden (or at least seem to be, based on recent posting).

10: What new issue is going to be critical? The election is a long way out. The race will tighten up. Biden will gaffe. P. Trump will gaffe. But what event, that isn't in the news now, will be crucial? My feeling is that voters have a super-short attention span. 4 months from now people might very well not care about Corona, L&O or Russia, but some new issue could become the theme. My personal guess would be a Liberal SCOTUS Justice stepping down.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:32 am

CoffeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 am The Dems base is supposed to be people of color and
young people. Is there not a legit candidate that represents the base better than Biden?
Newark public school employee here: I didn’t watch the debates (like at all), but I’m kind of surprised Cory Booker didn’t do better. He is super charismatic. Oh well, he’s 50 years old (which apparently is a baby in POTUS). He’s got 7 or 8 cycles to try again...assuming the world lasts that long.
Which, again, is why I support Biden for POTUS Secretary of the Interior appointer.

weisgarber

Post by weisgarber » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 am

rjharris wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:30 am I can understand not voting for Biden; no fucking clue how anyone can vote for this absolute piece of shit.

[ Bizarre Tweet ]

That dude is 100% going to be harassed by DJT lovers for the rest of his life.
That's a weird tweet even coming from him. Normally he says something stupid and patently false but with authority. This time he's not even trying to pretend like he's not pulling stuff out of his ass. "Could be an antifa provocateur". Since when does he say "Could be?" And when the hell did a word like "provocateur" enter his vocabulary? Is someone ghostwriting his tweets?

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 am

5hout wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 amBut what event, that isn't in the news now, will be crucial? My feeling is that voters have a super-short attention span. 4 months from now people might very well not care about Corona, L&O or Russia, but some new issue could become the theme.
You forgot impeachment and Iranian assassinations. :lol:

Whatever issues do pop up from here to the elections, you can bet it will revolve around Trump. He sucks the air out of the room with his narcissism*. He's the yin to the social media's yang.

* It's like he thinks he is the most powerful, important person in the world or something.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 am

My money is on Anon releasing video of Turnip diddling a little kid while singing "Obama is a Muslim." He will lock in the catholic vote.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:27 am

DCR wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 am
DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:34 am People believe her or don't believe her based on what?

There’s been a significant amount of reporting on this.
Oh, significant reporting.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:34 am

JonA wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 am
5hout wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 amBut what event, that isn't in the news now, will be crucial? My feeling is that voters have a super-short attention span. 4 months from now people might very well not care about Corona, L&O or Russia, but some new issue could become the theme.
You forgot impeachment and Iranian assassinations. :lol:

Whatever issues do pop up from here to the elections, you can bet it will revolve around Trump. He sucks the air out of the room with his narcissism*. He's the yin to the social media's yang.

* It's like he thinks he is the most powerful, important person in the world or something.
Good point, I think I agree that you can add to that: whatever new issue becomes mission critical to the election will absolutely revolve on P. Trump as a personality, not Biden or not a 3rd party.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:17 am

DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:34 amPeople believe her or don't believe her based on what?

Fundamentally you are correct. It is a classic case of he said/she said with zero corroboration to back either claims. I would note that Joe Biden is asked to disprove a negative in this case.

With a vague, unverifiable story we are left to determine the credibility of the two individuals. On issues of credibility, we can examine each persons history and make a determination. Who in your opinion is more credible in this matter: Tara Reade or Joe Biden?