The Strongman Thread

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mouse

Re: The Strongman Thread

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 am These guys are just a different species.
Dude no doubt. Those semi tires were 200lbs a piece and he was just over there doing like casual sets of 10 warming up lol

Also, shaking Jerry's hand was like aliens had hollowed out a human... and filled the shell with concrete as some weird experiment...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 am
lehman906 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 am These guys are just a different species.
Dude no doubt. Those semi tires were 200lbs a piece and he was just over there doing like casual sets of 10 warming up lol

Also, shaking Jerry's hand was like aliens had hollowed out a human... and filled the shell with concrete as some weird experiment...
I have a picture of me with Shaw, and with his Campbell’s Kid face he looks like he’d be fluffy. It was like putting your arm around a refrigerator....for all of Brian’s extra weight, he is solid as a rock. Same when I competed in a contest with Adam Scherr (now Braun Strowman in the WWE). I felt like a schnauzer next to a Dire Wolf.

My kid had a swim camp taught by an Olympian, who wasn’t one of the household names, but when I went up to her afterwards it was shocking. Her body was like a coiled spring. 6 feet tall and all muscle. It was beautiful, but it also looked like she could also casually toss me into the rafters.

This is why I’m so flabbergasted when my students or friends think I’m jacked or are impresssed with one of my lifts. All I can think is, “do you know what’s out there?”

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:04 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 am I have a picture of me with Shaw, and with his Campbell’s Kid face he looks like he’d be fluffy. It was like putting your arm around a refrigerator....for all of Brian’s extra weight, he is solid as a rock. Same when I competed in a contest with Adam Scherr (now Braun Strowman in the WWE). I felt like a schnauzer next to a Dire Wolf.

My kid had a swim camp taught by an Olympian, who wasn’t one of the household names, but when I went up to her afterwards it was shocking. Her body was like a coiled spring. 6 feet tall and all muscle. It was beautiful, but it also looked like she could also casually toss me into the rafters.

This is why I’m so flabbergasted when my students or friends think I’m jacked or are impresssed with one of my lifts. All I can think is, “do you know what’s out there?”
I really do hope to get a chance to meet Shaw one day, just to feel ultra tiny... and awesome that you got to compete with Scherr, I'm not into WWE much since it stopped being WWF, but he seems like a genuinely nice/cool dude.

And yes I also don't understand the majority's perception of what is "jacked". Maybe there just being nice. I've threatened to show people my muffin top if they keep bringing up my "core" or ask how many sit ups I can do...

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 am

Write up stolen from my log:

Strongest Man in the Forest 12
September 29th, 2018 - Elkins, WV

Strongman Corp - Open HW 265
B/W - 236

Max Log - The Dream Crusher - 212/232/252
Went conservative here and it was the right choice... warm ups felt really really good and even though 252 threw my balance a touch it went up fast. Probably would have missed 272, if 262 would have been an option I'd have gone for it for sure...

Truck Pull - Rollback + Pickup - 26k lbs of Suck
Man I hate truck pulls lol. Fun story, they pulled the HW guys together to offer us the EMPTY rollback since there was a "sticking point" in the track that was giving a bunch of people a hard time. Of the five of us NO ONE was about to wuss out in front of Phil Pfister so we opted to load the pickup. I'll never forget Nicole Mouser yelling "Fine! But if none of you move it you get to explain to Paul!" lol. None of us finished it, most got somewhere between 15-20ft, sticking point killed pretty much everybody. I managed around 10 ft... took a ton of gas just to start it. Oh well, I moved it, so I'll take it...

Death Medley - Duck Walk/Mouser Block/Atlas Stone - 325/315/260 - 30ft Carry/Load
Fully expected not to finish this, a lot of dudes DIDN'T finish this. Ended up easily being my best event of the day for numerous reasons. Going head to head with my dude/coach made it more awesome. Having Phil dub it "Battle of the Beards" doubled that. Was pretty quick on the duck for never having done it, the block went shockingly smooth, and then getting a good pick on the stone (no tacky) sealed the deal. It was a slow horrible walk, and I blacked out just as I got to the bar... which I managed to break with the stone... I don't think I'll ever have a performance as epic as this again...

Timber Deadlift - 700/735/780/815/860 (stated weight)
When I signed up long ago my only goal was to not zero this event. Five pulls is absolutely astonishing to me lol. Had to dig super deep for that "860" pull. Hopefully I get a whirl at this again sometime and break 900...

Bar Bending - 3/8" Rebar @12" / 1/2" Rebar @24"
First bend went super easy, second bend went better than I expected but I doubted myself and it ate up too much time. If I hadn't taken it back over my thigh before pulling into my chest I may have closed it. Dangit. Either way it went better than the last time I practiced it. Bar bending is already confirmed for next year so if I trek down to WV again maybe I can find redemption.

AWESOME time... the guys down in WV are no joke and are some of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting. Just so many cool things all around about this show... from finally getting to go head to head with Matt, having our events called by Phil Pfister, just everything was super cool. Serious considerations being made to go next year...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:14 am

Awesome write up.
At some point I need to get more healthier and way strongerer and do one of these.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am

Sounds like a very cool, old-school type of contest. Great job, man!

And @Allentown, it’s like having kids. If you wait until you’re ready you’ll never do it. Find a novice/local contest and jump in. You could have done the one I just did.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am Sounds like a very cool, old-school type of contest. Great job, man!

And @Allentown, it’s like having kids. If you wait until you’re ready you’ll never do it. Find a novice/local contest and jump in. You could have done the one I just did.
Paul Mouser loves that stuff and that was one of several reasons I made the trip. You just won't get to do it "officially" anywhere else...

He has already confirmed bar bending will be back next year, and that he is leaning towards a stone to shoulder event... which I put in his ear this morning should be a natural stone...

If so I will have to heavily consider returning next year.

And 100% agree with about the "don't wait until you're ready" mentality. If you find a local contest sign up a few months out for the novice class. That's why its there... just to get a feel for it.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am And Allentown, it’s like having kids. If you wait until you’re ready you’ll never do it. Find a novice/local contest and jump in. You could have done the one I just did.
A few years back I was doing just that, trying to get my push press to the point where I wouldn't DNF/0 rep the axel press event, before hurting my back. I think I'll put it out there that I'll sign up for one in 2019, and show up, even if I don't complete any event. More motivation, I guess!

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 am

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 am Write up stolen from my log:

Strongest Man in the Forest 12
September 29th, 2018 - Elkins, WV

Strongman Corp - Open HW 265
B/W - 236

Max Log - The Dream Crusher - 212/232/252
Went conservative here and it was the right choice... warm ups felt really really good and even though 252 threw my balance a touch it went up fast. Probably would have missed 272, if 262 would have been an option I'd have gone for it for sure...

Truck Pull - Rollback + Pickup - 26k lbs of Suck
Man I hate truck pulls lol. Fun story, they pulled the HW guys together to offer us the EMPTY rollback since there was a "sticking point" in the track that was giving a bunch of people a hard time. Of the five of us NO ONE was about to wuss out in front of Phil Pfister so we opted to load the pickup. I'll never forget Nicole Mouser yelling "Fine! But if none of you move it you get to explain to Paul!" lol. None of us finished it, most got somewhere between 15-20ft, sticking point killed pretty much everybody. I managed around 10 ft... took a ton of gas just to start it. Oh well, I moved it, so I'll take it...

Death Medley - Duck Walk/Mouser Block/Atlas Stone - 325/315/260 - 30ft Carry/Load
Fully expected not to finish this, a lot of dudes DIDN'T finish this. Ended up easily being my best event of the day for numerous reasons. Going head to head with my dude/coach made it more awesome. Having Phil dub it "Battle of the Beards" doubled that. Was pretty quick on the duck for never having done it, the block went shockingly smooth, and then getting a good pick on the stone (no tacky) sealed the deal. It was a slow horrible walk, and I blacked out just as I got to the bar... which I managed to break with the stone... I don't think I'll ever have a performance as epic as this again...

Timber Deadlift - 700/735/780/815/860 (stated weight)
When I signed up long ago my only goal was to not zero this event. Five pulls is absolutely astonishing to me lol. Had to dig super deep for that "860" pull. Hopefully I get a whirl at this again sometime and break 900...

Bar Bending - 3/8" Rebar @12" / 1/2" Rebar @24"
First bend went super easy, second bend went better than I expected but I doubted myself and it ate up too much time. If I hadn't taken it back over my thigh before pulling into my chest I may have closed it. Dangit. Either way it went better than the last time I practiced it. Bar bending is already confirmed for next year so if I trek down to WV again maybe I can find redemption.

AWESOME time... the guys down in WV are no joke and are some of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of meeting. Just so many cool things all around about this show... from finally getting to go head to head with Matt, having our events called by Phil Pfister, just everything was super cool. Serious considerations being made to go next year...

The death medley was aptly named.
Does that count?
should be your mantra henceforth.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

nice work - looks like a great competition and you did a great job. I agree with your advice to Allen - I am not nearly as strong as you an have done a couple comps in novice division, - had a shit-ton of fun an didn't embarrass myself ( i don't think). Keep up the good work.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Imo this is pretty clever (simple)

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon May 20, 2019 3:51 am

mbasic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm Imo this is pretty clever (simple)

Related to this trick, Kalle Beck put out an e-book a while back about training strongman in a globo gym... for anyone who may be interested...

https://store.startingstrongman.com/pro ... gular-gym/

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 pm

mouse wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:51 am
mbasic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:23 pm Imo this is pretty clever (simple)

Related to this trick, Kalle Beck put out an e-book a while back about training strongman in a globo gym... for anyone who may be interested...

https://store.startingstrongman.com/pro ... gular-gym/
Give Kalle Beck love. He is a great resource for strongman stuff. I am too delicate for strongman but I do like reading about and watching it, Beck is a great resource in both regards.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 pmGive Kalle Beck love. He is a great resource for strongman stuff. I am too delicate for strongman but I do like reading about and watching it, Beck is a great resource in both regards.
Sure is and sure do.

Kalle's posting today is like a strongman Yoda...

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am Sounds like a very cool, old-school type of contest. Great job, man!

How does the novice class work exactly? Presumably there are some seriously strong dudes who’ve never competed before that would make the class more intimidating than it sounds @Mouse

Do you still lift the same stuff? Spending $80 to fail to lift anything for one rep sounds less than awesome.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am

FredM wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 am How does the novice class work exactly? Presumably there are some seriously strong dudes who’ve never competed before that would make the class more intimidating than it sounds @Mouse

Do you still lift the same stuff? Spending $80 to fail to lift anything for one rep sounds less than awesome.
You do all the same events (or at least super similar depending on what equipment they have available) but at a scaled down weight. So like at my last contest, where the log press was 260 for me, novice guys were probably at like 180ish or something (tried to find the number but it got taken down I guess). Weights are posted ahead of time when you register so you have some idea of what you're getting into, and for the most part they are "challenging" but accessible for most people who actually train...

Novice is usually a pretty diverse group... and should never be intimidating, even if there are dudes stronger than you. Novice class is there because its well... novice. Most of the dudes there are probably also first time competitors, or at least first time STRONGMAN competitors. It sounds cliche but you probably won't find a more supportive group of lifters.

Some of the guys MAY have done it before, but most haven't. Rules dictate that if you place in the top three of your novice class, you can't go novice again. Full disclosure, there is sometimes a guy who SHOULDN'T be doing novice who comes in and dominates (I've seen it a couple times), but that's not really common and it can't see it ruining anyone's time unless they take it way too seriously...

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 am

Sweet, thanks for the info! @mouse

Yeah to be clear I’m intimidated by failing every lift, not being weaker than other people—my concern with strong dudes in novice was moreso the weights would still be too heavy as a result.

I think I’ll give one a try next year. I need to press more than 155 lol.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 am

FredM wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 am Sweet, thanks for the info! @mouse

Yeah to be clear I’m intimidated by failing every lift, not being weaker than other people—my concern with strong dudes in novice was moreso the weights would still be too heavy as a result.

I think I’ll give one a try next year. I need to press more than 155 lol.
All depends on who puts the show together really, some will be heavier than others, but like I said novice is usually pretty accessible.

The other thing to do is try and keep an eye out for if any gyms nearby do an unsanctioned meet. Those tend to be lighter than sanctioned contests and then you don't have to worry about a registration fee. Even more scaled down than that would be if you have a strongman gym/crew in your area and find out if you can drop in for an events day. Then they might pick the events, but you can choose the weight.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 pm

So apparently Jordan is 2 weeks out from a strongman contest haha...

I'm probably too excited to see how he does, as I've always wondered how he and Austin would fare...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm

mouse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 pm So apparently Jordan is 2 weeks out from a strongman contest haha...

I'm probably too excited to see how he does, as I've always wondered how he and Austin would fare...

I’m unfairly annoyed that he can just learn on my Farmers carry max. Also, there’s no way he still weighs 200, right? Not if he’s actually 5’10”?