MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by MarkKO » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:00 pm

We're away at the coast for a few days so no real training this week. I did bring the vest, a mini band and a light band though.

Today, being Wednesday
Five rounds
Pull aparts (mini band)
Overhead tricep extensions (mini band)
Bicep curls (light band)
Pec flys (light band)
Rows (light band)

Didnt count reps, just went till there was some kind of RIR going on in that I felt that there weren't that many reps left I could do.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:35 pm

Back from the coast, did nothing other than what I logged above. I think it did me good. Also managed to avoid sunburn for the first time in years.

Went for a single lap weighted vest walk just to get moving and came in with a fast time compared to the past few weeks. Go figure.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:17 pm

Went for a full three lap weighted vest walk and absolutely demolished my previous best time. Like, properly demolished, by a minute and 12 seconds. My heart rate was also super low on average and max (106 and 132 bpm respectively) AND dropped as time went on. I have zero idea how that works. Times for each kilometre were all pretty consistent, the four flatter ones came in just under nine minutes and the ones with more climbing came in between nine minutes 10 and nine minutes 30. That totalled seven kilometres in one hour, three minutes and 47 seconds.

@JohnHelton @EggMcMuffin you know more about this stuff that I do, what gives?

My best guess is that after a full week off I was just recovered.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:46 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:17 pm My best guess is that after a full week off I was just recovered.
That would be my guess too. Runners taper before a race just like powerlifters before a meet.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:45 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:46 am
MarkKO wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:17 pm My best guess is that after a full week off I was just recovered.
That would be my guess too. Runners taper before a race just like powerlifters before a meet.
Good to know I'm on the right track. Thanks.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:53 pm

Ok, new year and eight weeks of preparation for the competition start today. Coaching by Mark Boylin of Ultra Fitness and Strength.

Side bends, one round each side with farmer's walk handles
Back raises

That's the warm up, which is my idea.

4x15 m x 198 lbs/hand farmer's carry, between seven and nine seconds each run
4x15 m x 242 lbs duck walk, runs between 11 and 15 seconds. Rolled my left ankle on the second run but iced it and did the remaining three well enough
3x8x529 lbs frame DL, used straps for sets two and three. Strapped ankle for these.
26/arm x 88 lbs, 15/arm x 88 lbs Kroc rows using straps, had ice strapped to ankle during this.

I think the ankle should be fine, although I did hear a pop.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:41 pm

Ok, so maybe the ankle isn't exactly *fine*

It hurts like a @#$%^&+!×÷=/ in almost every position and the pain is enough to keep me constantly distracted and my breathing/HR elevated which isn't great; or I just have stupidly bad pain tolerance, there's that possibility.

So I'm waiting at the ER because, well, I'll take a long wait and knowing what BS I've done to myself over just guessing.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:58 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:41 pm Ok, so maybe the ankle isn't exactly *fine*

It hurts like a @#$%^&+!×÷=/ in almost every position and the pain is enough to keep me constantly distracted and my breathing/HR elevated which isn't great; or I just have stupidly bad pain tolerance, there's that possibility.

So I'm waiting at the ER because, well, I'll take a long wait and knowing what BS I've done to myself over just guessing.
Hope it's nothing (too?) serious...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 am

Renascent wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:58 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:41 pm Ok, so maybe the ankle isn't exactly *fine*

Just a sprain, apparently. Didn't have to wait too long for an Xray which confirmed no break or dislocation and that meant I got sent home with an ankle brace and good wishes. An ultrasound would have been nice, but not free like the other stuff and not done today so I'm not complaining.

I guess worst case there's a partial tear but I like the odds because I don't think I'd be able to put any weight on it if that was the case.

The doctor said movement is essential so I'm taking that to mean training is fine so long as I don't make it hurt too badly.

Edit: that's two ER visits in as many weeks. I'm not proud of myself. On the plus side, this time I got sent back with notes so I get to see that my blood pressure is *just* normal. I like taking positives out of things.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am

MarkKO wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 am

Just a sprain, apparently. Didn't have to wait too long for an Xray which confirmed no break or dislocation and that meant I got sent home with an ankle brace and good wishes. An ultrasound would have been nice, but not free like the other stuff and not done today so I'm not complaining.

I guess worst case there's a partial tear but I like the odds because I don't think I'd be able to put any weight on it if that was the case.

The doctor said movement is essential so I'm taking that to mean training is fine so long as I don't make it hurt too badly.

Edit: that's two ER visits in as many weeks. I'm not proud of myself. On the plus side, this time I got sent back with notes so I get to see that my blood pressure is *just* normal. I like taking positives out of things.
I don't know what sort of brace they gave you, but maybe use it in training for a bit even after it's better. I have one that laces up and is great, it fits inside my shoes with no issue, as my right ankle has had several very serious sprains in my life. Unfortunately each sprain makes it easier to get a future one.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am
MarkKO wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:04 am

I don't know what sort of brace they gave you, but maybe use it in training for a bit even after it's better. I have one that laces up and is great, it fits inside my shoes with no issue, as my right ankle has had several very serious sprains in my life. Unfortunately each sprain makes it easier to get a future one.
That's a great idea. Thank you. This one is Velcro fastened but seems pretty good.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:11 am

Last night wasn't the best. I felt like I was burning up most of time and kept getting woken up by my ankle every couple of hours. It wasn't that it hurt so much as it just made everything really uncomfortable if that makes sense.

The ankle itself looks kind of gnarly now, there's some lovely aubergine to strawberry bruising spread around the left foot; and the foot and ankle are really swollen. Feels a ton better than it looks, thankfully. I can't flex it for shit so any time I walk it's super gimpy but it isn't really painful.

Tuesday

Pull aparts and some single arm bottoms up KB presses with 34 lbs

6x2x176 lbs axle clean and press away which should have been cleaned each rep but I wasn't trying that on this ankle. Clean is a generous description of what really was a very cheated bicep curl. I can't even remotely drop under the bar or move my legs or feet quickly. Also why I didn't use the thick axle, I tried and for that I actually need to dip under to catch the bar. The two incher I can just grab. I swear that hasn't always been the case.
5x1x100 lbs 'monster' DB clean and press. I used the mini DB because the actual monster weighs around 120 lbs with the end caps on, and without the caps I can't balance it on my shoulder. So I'll just move on to that when the weight gets heavier and I can get some real drive and catch out of my legs.
6x6x187 lbs CGBP
8x114 lbs, 8x103 lbs, 2x8x92 lbs axle press off pins at forehead which were SO freaking hard for that weight. Holy shit
8x55 lbs, 3x8x77 lbs chest supported T-bar rows

I also got my Bearfoot shoes today, in time to train too. I think they're a winner. I've been looking for something that was as comfortable and flat to the ground as my Matflex IVs for a long time and these are most definitely it.

Got some advice to whack a heat pack on my ankle to improve blood flow in order to speed up healing which I may well do. Goes against the traditional dictum of ice and elevation, but I can see how increased blood flow would help.

houzi

Post by houzi » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:29 pm

I really badly rolled my ankle about 6 years ago , while carrying a very heavy bag. Hurt like mad and swelled up immediately. Unfortunately I did it 5 hours before I was due to get on a plane to move across the country. Not fun dragging all my luggage around a massive airport that afternoon with my ankle/foot feeling like a painful balloon.

Anyway, after being unbelievably uncomfortable on a plane for 4 hours and arriving at my new city, i tried elevating it and icing it that night, and it maybe did something, but my foot was still twice the size of my other one. Had a massive bruise along my ankle.
Since my plan was to do some sight seeing around the new city, i spent the whole day slowly walking around. It was uncomfortable to walk, but not painful. By the end of the day the swelling was down by half and the same with the pain. Repeated this for a few days after. I was all but fine by the end of the week.
The bruising stayed for a while, and it was tender to touch, but other than that, all good, i was able to do a ton of hiking.
I guess I should add, I wasnt doing any lifting during these weeks post-injury due to moving city and a holiday.

I really subscribe to the Stan Efferding recovery protocol, its done me well so far:
1. Eliminate the source of pain
2. Find pain free movement
3. Move a lot!

Long story short: I think if you get injured, trying to move the injured area as much as possible in a pain-free manner is a good way to increase blood flow and recovery of the injured area.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:34 am

houzi wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:29 pm I really badly rolled my ankle about 6 years ago , while carrying a very heavy bag. Hurt like mad and swelled up immediately. Unfortunately I did it 5 hours before I was due to get on a plane to move across the country. Not fun dragging all my luggage around a massive airport that afternoon with my ankle/foot feeling like a painful balloon.

Anyway, after being unbelievably uncomfortable on a plane for 4 hours and arriving at my new city, i tried elevating it and icing it that night, and it maybe did something, but my foot was still twice the size of my other one. Had a massive bruise along my ankle.
Since my plan was to do some sight seeing around the new city, i spent the whole day slowly walking around. It was uncomfortable to walk, but not painful. By the end of the day the swelling was down by half and the same with the pain. Repeated this for a few days after. I was all but fine by the end of the week.
The bruising stayed for a while, and it was tender to touch, but other than that, all good, i was able to do a ton of hiking.
I guess I should add, I wasnt doing any lifting during these weeks post-injury due to moving city and a holiday.

I really subscribe to the Stan Efferding recovery protocol, its done me well so far:
1. Eliminate the source of pain
2. Find pain free movement
3. Move a lot!

Long story short: I think if you get injured, trying to move the injured area as much as possible in a pain-free manner is a good way to increase blood flow and recovery of the injured area.
That's pretty much what I've been doing. It seems to be helping. I haven't gone out of my way to move, but I definitely haven't tried not to move. Still swollen and bruised as all hell but not really painful.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 pm

The ankle is still pretty swollen and the bruising is getting a nice rainbow effect; this doesn't reflect how much better it feels, though. Still very minimal flexion and still walking very funny but I would say significantly better than yesterday. The heat pack may have been helping.

Thursday

Back raises

Windmills with 34 lbs KB. I think they're called windmills. Either way, seemed like a reasonable option to warm up.

308 lbs zercher yoke holds for 40, 38, 30 and 31 seconds because counting in my head isn't very consistent. Mark said do holds this week as carries might not be smart on the ankle. These weren't super hard.
Multiple nopes x 176 lbs yoke press, I think around eight in total trying sleeves, wraps and elbow cuffs
1x154 lbs, 1x160 lbs, 4x1x165 lbs yoke press
4x6x225 lbs axle zercher box squats at parallel, because I don't really have the ankle mobility to free squat right now
4x8x44 lbs seated single arm DB press supersetted with 12x33 lbs and 3x12x27 lbs bent over lateral raises

I'm really enjoying just having to do, rather than plan and then do. At this rate I'm going to get Mark to so my programming for the foreseeable future. Also I really don't know shit about strongman, so it makes sense to have him do it for me for a few years while I learn.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:12 pm

The ankle continues to feel better without really looking much better. Although, the swelling has reduced somewhat. Not so much the bruising.

Friday

Back raises

Swings with 34 lbs KB

3x3x484 lbs silver dollar deadlift, straps
3x3x374 lbs axle deadlift, straps, using the fat axle
3x1x198 lbs stone to shoulder
2 x 60 seconds x 154 lbs stone to shoulder which ended up at five reps each time
3x15x220 lbs reverse hyper

First day where everything was pretty easy. Well, really Monday was pretty easy too apart from the ankle rolling too. Everything is well below competition weight still, so in the coming weeks I'll get a much better idea of what to expect. Right now, I still think the only real damage control event will be the press medley.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:36 pm

Tried a weighted vest walk, but in my 'wisdom' didn't do a regular lap and instead picked something flatter. This was smart. My stride is probably about three quarters at most of what it normally is and I am SLOW. A kilometre took me around a minute longer on a much flatter route.

Also, much more effort to walk than usual because.

Not really painful though, just stiff. I'll have a crack at a normal lap tomorrow.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:47 pm

One regular lap with the weighted vest, just slow as expected. Also hard work not being able to walk normally. The ankle is significantly less swollen but somehow feels stiffer? Tried a tight wrap with some knee wraps and then worked flexion and rotations against a light band which seemed to help.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:36 am

First day back at work after the break, ankle held up but was irritating all day. I do not enjoy walking funny.

Second week of peak begins also.

Monday

Pull aparts
Side bends with 34 lbs KB
Single arm bottoms up press with 34 lbs KB

2x181 lbs axle clean and press
2, 1, 2, 1, 2x187 lbs axle clean and press. Couple of sets just couldn't get the second clean.
0x a few 100 lbs monster DB with the bigger monster. Clean is easy, just can't stabilise it on my shoulder
4x1x77 lbs monster DB, with Mark's help I found a way to set it on my shoulder but it'll be a while before I can load it.
6x6x132 lbs CGBP, my shoulders and right elbow did NOT enjoy this so I dropped the weight to pretty much nothing
4x8x77 lbs chest supported T-bar rows
4x8x92 lbs axle press off pins at forehead, having learnt my lesson last time
4x12x55 lbs tricep pushdowns

This session flat out SUCKED. I strongly dislike failing at things and my ankle was pissing me off.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:50 pm

Hoo boy that first week back to work always hits different. Add the ankle and adjusting to strongman training and I have ZERO energy by the end of the day.

Tuesday

Back raises
Side bends with empty farmer's walk handles

15 m, 2x10 m, 12 m x 209 lbs per hand farmer's walk. Grip kept giving out around the 10 m mark. The ankle isn't helping speed either
12 m, 15 m x 176 lbs per hand farmer's walk, it was either drop the weight or drop some callouses.
6x15 m x 242 lbs duck walk. No drops, just slow and no rolled abkles so that's a win.
3x6x573 lbs frame DL. Thank something or other for straps.
20/arm x 88 lbs, 15/arm x 88 lbs Kroc rows with straps
4x10x132 lbs reverse grip pulldowns

Well, that didn't suck but it sucked the life out of me. Training is just taking around 45 minutes to an hour longer than I'm used to as well, but I think partly that's moving slow with the ankle between things and also getting used to setting implements up.